View Full Version : Texas Rangers

bwdlionfan
05-12-2009, 09:48 PM
lead Seattle in the 8th 7-1

IrishTex
05-12-2009, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by bwdlionfan
lead Seattle in the 8th 7-1

Good to see Josh Hamilton homer after being on the DL for a couple of weeks.

bwdlionfan
05-12-2009, 09:50 PM
It was nice to see a 6 run inning period... I was getting bored to death with a 1-1 game!

SintonFan_inAustin
05-13-2009, 02:05 AM
1st Place!!!!! I'm getting tickets for Sunday before Memorial Day, Ranger vs Astros.

waterboy
05-13-2009, 09:29 AM
I like the way the Rangers are playing. The pitching has really come around. After a rough start, the rotation has started to consistently be able to get into the 7th and 8th innings. Even when they are matched up with the best pitchers from other teams, they've been able to match them with their 3rd and 4th pitcher in the rotation. That, along with the offense being able to give them run support, even in tight games, is what has led to this 8-2 run in their last 10 games. I don't see any reason the Rangers can't continue to win, either.

Sweetwater Red
05-13-2009, 09:58 AM
The Rangers are playing good ball. Too bad they have to go back
to Detroit in a week for a three game series.:evillol:

SintonFan_inAustin
05-13-2009, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
The Rangers are playing good ball. Too bad they have to go back
to Detroit in a week for a three game series.:evillol: this time the Rangers will sweep them or at least win the series. ;)

GreenMonster
05-13-2009, 10:30 AM
Hiring Nolan Ryan is the smartest thing Tom Hicks has done in a very long time. Nolan knows what every other N. Tx baseball fan knows, pitching wins, and he's been hot and heavy on building a staff that 1 throws strikes and 2 keeps the ball down. If you can limit your walks and keep the ball in the ballpark you will win a whole bunch of games.

Bearkat
05-13-2009, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
Hiring Nolan Ryan is the smartest thing Tom Hicks has done in a very long time. Nolan knows what every other N. Tx baseball fan knows, pitching wins, and he's been hot and heavy on building a staff that 1 throws strikes and 2 keeps the ball down. If you can limit your walks and keep the ball in the ballpark you will win a whole bunch of games.

You hit the nail on the head. Throw strikes and keep the ball down. This results in groundballs which allows the defense to make plays. Another thing Nolan has brought to the RANGERS is the work ethic to get pitchers through 7 innings. The pitching staff has worked hard to get 7 quality innings from its starters, which keeps the bullpen fresh. If the pitching can holdup, these RANGERS will compete for a playoff spot.

SintonFan_inAustin
05-13-2009, 10:37 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Rangers Win! Hello Win Column!

Texas goes to 19-14 on the year and first place with atleast a 1 1/2 game lead

GreenMonster
05-13-2009, 10:59 PM
I'm not typically a Hank Blalock fan because he overswings so badly and takes those big swings in situations that call for a little bit of control, but I sure cheered him on tonight with a huge 3 run double to win it.

BwdLions
05-14-2009, 09:09 AM
What a great comeback last night. The Rangers are doing whatever it takes to win right now and it's enjoyable to watch. I've been to one game this season (win over Oakland) and I may to have to start going more regularly.

Pick6
05-14-2009, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
I'm not typically a Hank Blalock fan because he overswings so badly and takes those big swings in situations that call for a little bit of control, but I sure cheered him on tonight with a huge 3 run double to win it.

Must be that Vernon Math :D, it was a 2 run double

goosealaniz
05-14-2009, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Pick6
Must be that Vernon Math :D, it was a 2 run double

you got a problem with vernon math... cuz i know that 2+2=...:confused: :(

crzyjournalist03
05-14-2009, 11:19 AM
Only the Blue Jays, Brewers, and Dodgers currently have a better run differential than the Rangers do at +22.

Sweetwater Red
05-14-2009, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Only the Blue Jays, Brewers, and Dodgers currently have a better run differential than the Rangers do at +22.

What's the run differential between the Rangers and Tigers this
season?:devil:

crzyjournalist03
05-14-2009, 11:33 AM
What's the run differential between the Rangers and Tigers this
season?:devil:

Texas has a run differential that is 15 runs better than Detroit's at this point in the season. Of course, if you're referring strictly to head-to-head games, the sample size is too small at this point to derive a definitive conclusion. :p

Sweetwater Red
05-14-2009, 11:35 AM
Texas has a run differential that is 15 runs better than Detroit's at this point in the season. Of course, if you're referring strictly to head-to-head games, the sample size is too small at this point to derive a definitive conclusion. :p

Okay I'll check back in a week. :D

FSSW BETTER TELEVISE THESE GAMES!!!:mad:

kepdawg
05-14-2009, 03:21 PM
Harrison goes all 9 today.

Davis hits a walk off!

Angels coming to town for the weekend.

waterboy
05-14-2009, 03:30 PM
Way to go Rangers!! Blalock hits a solo homer, then with one on, Chris Davis hits a 2-run shot, all in the bottom of the 9th for the 3-2 win!

bwdlionfan
05-14-2009, 03:30 PM
That was an awesome finish!

What's the Tiger's record right now anyway since they lost today?

waterboy
05-14-2009, 03:31 PM
That was an awesome finish!

What's the Tiger's record right now anyway since they lost today?
I believe that makes the Tigers 17-16.:D

Oh, I looked, and yes that's right, and Kansas City is now in 1st in the AL Central!:D

Sweetwater Red
05-14-2009, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
I believe that makes the Tigers 17-16.:D

Oh, I looked, and yes that's right, and Kansas City is now in 1st in the AL Central!:D

HEY! The title of the thread is Rangers! Let's keep on topic!:mad:

Farmersfan
05-14-2009, 03:49 PM
The pitching is really coming around but the biggest difference I see in this team is the defense. I didn't like the idea of moving Young to 3rd at first but after seeing the range of the new SS it makes me realize just how limited Young was at that position. I think the errors for the season are half of what they were at this time last season. (see Kinsler) Great job Rangers.....

crzyjournalist03
05-14-2009, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
The pitching is really coming around but the biggest difference I see in this team is the defense. I didn't like the idea of moving Young to 3rd at first but after seeing the range of the new SS it makes me realize just how limited Young was at that position. I think the errors for the season are half of what they were at this time last season. (see Kinsler) Great job Rangers.....

Andrus right now would make almost any shortstop in the league look like they have shortcomings. He's been absolutely phenomenal. Did anybody see the play he made last night running from shortstop into RIGHT FIELD to throw a guy out?

waterboy
05-14-2009, 04:05 PM
http://www.smileyx.com/smilies/party0001.gif http://www.smileyx.com/smilies/party0024.gif http://www.smileyx.com/smilies/party0049.gif

http://www.smileyx.com/smilies/tongue0013.gif http://www.smileyx.com/smilies/tongue0015.gif

http://www.smileyx.com/smilies/happy0192.gif http://www.smileyx.com/smilies/happy0195.gif http://www.smileyx.com/smilies/happy0194.gif

waterboy
05-14-2009, 04:08 PM
Andrus right now would make almost any shortstop in the league look like they have shortcomings. He's been absolutely phenomenal. Did anybody see the play he made last night running from shortstop into RIGHT FIELD to throw a guy out?
He makes those tough plays look routine, don't he? He not only got to the ball, he caught it, made a 270 degree spin, and then threw a perfect strike to beat the runner at first! Awesome!http://www.smileyx.com/smilies/happy0005.gif

waterboy
05-14-2009, 04:15 PM
http://www.smileyx.com/smilies/sad0126.gif It's okay, Red! Just joshing!http://www.smileyx.com/smilies/winking0049.gif

SintonFan_inAustin
05-14-2009, 06:18 PM
Andrus right now would make almost any shortstop in the league look like they have shortcomings. He's been absolutely phenomenal. Did anybody see the play he made last night running from shortstop into RIGHT FIELD to throw a guy out? i wasnt sure what to expect, just from i was reading, but this kid can play some SS! His hitting is also starting to look good. Just finished watching the game as i recorded, i skipped the 7th and 8th as it didint look good but when went ahead and watched the 9th inning. WOW! :clap:

95mustang
05-14-2009, 07:02 PM
One of the biggest things I have noticed this year is the Rangers are a team. This is the first time in a long while that the entire team played as a team. The celebration last night proves my point. If they continue to play as a team then they shold do very well this year.

Bearkat
05-15-2009, 09:11 AM
The key with the RANGERS is for the pitching staff to keep them in the game long enough for those bats to come alive, and come alive they will. It took 9 innings yesterday but the pitching gave them a chance. I hope the guys can keep this up with the angels coming to town.

waterboy
05-15-2009, 09:17 AM
The upcoming series with the Angels is very important. They must win inside their division if they want to have a chance at the end. Winning inside the division has been something they haven't been able to do consistently in the last few years. They should at least take 2 out of the 3 games this weekend.:thumbsup:

BwdLions
05-15-2009, 09:23 AM
Very good points guys. I agree that piching and defense is the key to being successful, but man those timely hits the Rangers are getting right now are unreal. What a great comeback (again).

I think the Rangers will have the best shortstop in baseball in a couple of years (maybe sooner than than that if his hitting continues to improve). He has great range. The play he made Wed. night behind 2nd was awesome.

Bearkat
05-15-2009, 10:26 AM
The upcoming series with the Angels is very important. They must win inside their division if they want to have a chance at the end. Winning inside the division has been something they haven't been able to do consistently in the last few years. They should at least take 2 out of the 3 games this weekend.:thumbsup:

The RANGERS pitchers won't have to face Vladimir Guerrero this time around. He is on the 15-day DL.

waterboy
05-15-2009, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Bearkat
The RANGERS pitchers won't have to face Vladimir Guerrero this time around. He is on the 15-day DL.
Good for the Rangers, although, with the Rangers' pitching, and the way they are swinging the bats, he may not have been as much of a factor as he had been. If the Rangers' starters keep pitching into the 7th and 8th innings, I like our chances.

Sweetwater Red
05-15-2009, 10:50 AM
http://www.smileyx.com/smilies/sad0126.gif It's okay, Red! Just joshing!http://www.smileyx.com/smilies/winking0049.gif

Just remember to shut your mouth when you are talking to me.:D

waterboy
05-15-2009, 11:26 AM
Just remember to shut your mouth when you are talking to me.:D
http://www.smileyx.com/smilies/fighting0026.gif http://www.smileyx.com/smilies/fighting0031.gif

http://www.smileyx.com/smilies/tongue0011.gif

GreenMonster
05-15-2009, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by BwdLions
pitching and defense is the key to being successful, but man those timely hits the Rangers are getting right now are unreal. I'm a big time believer in just that. Pitch and play defense, and get a couple of hits at the right time and you will beat lots of folks. I try to tell my HS kids that all the time.

SintonFan_inAustin
05-15-2009, 07:19 PM
:clap:

1-0 Rangers in bot of 1st against the Angels

Farmersfan
05-15-2009, 09:17 PM
Man! Josh Hamilton has made two really fantastic throws in this game. That throw to home was "OFF THE HOOK"!!!!! Go Rangers. Josh Hamilton bobblehead night tomarrow. First 20K.............

95mustang
05-15-2009, 10:13 PM
What an ending. Talk about keeping the dramatic finishes. They were still able to win with a night of off pitching.

SintonFan_inAustin
05-15-2009, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by 95mustang
What an ending. Talk about keeping the dramatic finishes. They were still able to win with a night of off pitching. CJ is eractic to be a closer! How long is Frankie out?

95mustang
05-15-2009, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan_inAustin
CJ is eractic to be a closer! How long is Frankie out?

anytime is to long with the way Wilson has pitched the last couple of trips to the mound. He was able to finsih the game tonight though (thanks to Kinslers tremendous catch) unlike the other two that also played in the 9th inning who got smashed over and over.

c-town_balla
05-15-2009, 10:50 PM
Frankie could be back as early as Sunday. Depends on his bullpen session tomorrow.

bwdlionfan
05-17-2009, 03:46 PM
Rangers just won their 7th straight with a shutout over the Angels 3-0... Rangers go to 23-14 on the season!

beartwin
05-17-2009, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by c-town_balla
Frankie could be back as early as Sunday. Depends on his bullpen session tomorrow. He is now on the DL retroactive to May 7th so he should be eligible to return May 22nd.

SintonFan_inAustin
05-17-2009, 09:26 PM
Rangers just won their 7th straight with a shutout over the Angels 3-0... Rangers go to 23-14 on the season!

:2thumbsup

Now the big series against those Detriot Tigers and then Lone Star Series!

Sweetwater Red
05-19-2009, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan_inAustin
:2thumbsup

Now the big series against those Detriot Tigers and then Lone Star Series!

Rather than starting another thread....

waterboy
05-19-2009, 10:18 AM
Rather than starting another thread....
Yeah, what happened to our thread? There's something fishy going on here.:confused: The Rangers are gonna win their series with the Tigers. Maybe even a sweep.http://www.smileyx.com/smilies/party0010.gif

http://www.smileyx.com/smilies/tongue0011.gif

Sweetwater Red
05-19-2009, 03:58 PM
Dontrelle Willis is starting for the Tigers.:(

crzyjournalist03
05-19-2009, 04:10 PM

Didn't he win the Cy YOung a few years ago?

Sweetwater Red
05-19-2009, 04:19 PM
Didn't he win the Cy YOung a few years ago?

I don't remember. I like Dontrelle. I just hope he doesn't go the
way of Rick Ankiel.

ronwx5x
05-19-2009, 07:12 PM
Tigers up 3-0 in the 4th inning.

ronwx5x
05-19-2009, 07:22 PM
Bottom of the 5th, still 3-0 Tigers.

ronwx5x
05-19-2009, 07:37 PM
Tiger still up 3-0 and batting in the bottom of the 6th. Willis has a no hitter going. Four KO's.

Keith7
05-19-2009, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
Tiger still up 3-0 and batting in the bottom of the 6th. Willis has a no hitter going. Four KO's.

Rangers have 1 hit

ronwx5x
05-19-2009, 07:39 PM
Sorry, not a no-hitter but a 1-hitter.

ronwx5x
05-19-2009, 08:11 PM
Rangers batting in the top of the 8th, 4-0 Tigers.

ronwx5x
05-19-2009, 08:23 PM
Last chance. Tigers up 4-0, Rangers batting in the top of the 9th.

ronwx5x
05-19-2009, 08:27 PM
Tigers win, 4-0. A one hit gem.

Sweetwater Red
05-19-2009, 08:48 PM

Sorry for ever doubting you Willis.

BTW...

Not going to gloat because there is a point where it becomes
obnoxious. But.....

I do have to laugh everytime I see that horseshoe on
the back of Saltalamacchia.:D

waterboy
05-20-2009, 07:59 AM
Dang! That's 9 in a row the Rangers have lost in Detroit. What are they putting in the Rangers' water up there? Oh well, just win the series Rangers! Y'all have got to learn to win IN Detroit, because you never know whether they will be a playoff opponent or not.

Sweetwater Red
05-20-2009, 08:32 AM
Dang! That's 9 in a row the Rangers have lost in Detroit. What are they putting in the Rangers' water up there? Oh well, just win the series Rangers! Y'all have got to learn to win IN Detroit, because you never know whether they will be a playoff opponent or not.

It's going to be tough for the Rangers. Tonight. verlander is
pitching and he has only aloud one earned run in his last thirty
something innings pitched.

Lastnight I thought it was going to be another blowout. Hat's off
to McCarthy for getting some ket outs to mininmize the damage
in the first three innings.

waterboy
05-20-2009, 09:24 AM
Tonight's game ought to be a good matchup. Matt Harrison and Justin Verlander have both been pitching VERY well as of late. I look for another low scoring game. Hopefully, the Rangers bats can put together a couple of rallies tonight, and score 2 or 3 runs. That's probably all it'll take for either team tonight.

Farmersfan
05-20-2009, 09:29 AM
This is not a good time for the Ranger bats to disappear. Willis use to be an outstanding pitcher and did pretty well last night but it's all on the Rangers shoulders to allow a 5 pitcher 1 hitter for the Tigers. Ridiculous! The Tigers team ERA isn't THAT good. It's like the Rangers forgot to play small ball for at least one night. We will see tonight.

Sweetwater Red
05-20-2009, 12:35 PM
Rangers-Tigers Preview

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/preview?gameId=290520106

A dominant pitching performance helped the surging Detroit Tigers snap the Texas Rangers' longest winning streak in nearly four years and extend their home dominance in the series.

Neither club would be surprised to see its starter deliver a similarly masterful outing in the teams' next meeting.

Matt Harrison looks to lead the Rangers to their eighth win in nine games Wednesday night against the Tigers, who will turn to Justin Verlander in hopes of recording their season-high fifth straight victory and 10th in a row at home against Texas.

Dontrelle Willis allowed one hit in 6 1-3 innings Tuesday, and four relievers combined for 2 2-3 perfect innings to complete the 4-0 win, the fourth in a row for the AL Central-leading Tigers (21-16). It was the first win in a Detroit uniform -- and first in almost 20 months -- for the 2003 NL Rookie of the year, who recently was on the disabled list due to an anxiety disorder.

That also snapped a seven-game winning streak for Texas, its longest since winning nine straight from May 20-31, 2005. The Rangers (23-15), sitting atop the AL West, have lost nine straight in Detroit since Sept. 11, 2007.

"I don't know what it is," second baseman Ian Kinsler told the Rangers' official Web site after Tuesday's game. "Hopefully we can figure it out."

They seem to have a good chance to do so with Harrison (4-2, 4.23 ERA) taking the mound in the middle game of the series.

The second-year left-hander has posted a 1.80 ERA while winning four straight starts, including back-to-back complete games. Harrison's 22-inning scoreless streak ended when he allowed two runs in the fourth inning of a 3-2 victory over Seattle on Thursday, but he settled down and finished the five-hitter by retiring 16 of the last 18 batters he faced.

"I can't say I didn't get mad when I gave up those runs," Harrison said after becoming the Rangers' first pitcher to win consecutive complete games since Kenny Rogers won three straight from May 18-29, 1994. "I just wanted to keep battling and hold them right there. Just start another (streak)."

Harrison has 13 wins in the majors, the most for a left-hander in his first 22 career starts since Vean Gregg won 16 of his first 22 for Cleveland in 1911.

However, the Tigers have Verlander (3-2, 4.29), who's been just as effective as Harrison lately. After going 0-2 with a 9.00 ERA over his first four starts, the right-hander is 3-0 with a 0.92 ERA over his last four.

Verlander followed a two-hit shutout of Cleveland by holding Minnesota to two runs and five hits while striking out a career-high 13 in 6 1-3 innings Thursday, but the Tigers bullpen gave away the lead in the 6-5 defeat.

Verlander is 4-1 with a 2.23 ERA in six career starts against the Rangers. He's held them to one earned run or fewer in five of those contests, including a 4-3 Detroit win on April 11 in which he allowed one earned run and two hits while striking out eight over five innings.

Harrison started for Texas and gave up four runs and nine hits while walking five in 5 2-3 innings in his first career game against Detroit.

Sweetwater Red
05-21-2009, 12:41 PM
Look's like it is going to be another pitcher's duel today.

kepdawg
05-21-2009, 02:48 PM
Detroit owns Texas!

ronwx5x
05-21-2009, 02:50 PM
Tigers win 4-3. Rangers had runners at 1st and 3rd in the ninth with one out and Murphy hit into a double play.

waterboy
05-21-2009, 03:03 PM
Dang! That sucks! They got swept by the Tigers! I guess Sweetwater Red will gloat over this for a while.:p

Sweetwater Red
05-21-2009, 03:07 PM
Woo Hoo! Now we get to face out arch rival Colorado Rockies
in inter-league play!:rolleyes:

No not the CHICAGO Cubs, MILWAUKEE Brewers, or PITTSBURGH
Pirates...The COLORADO Rockies!!!:mad:

ronwx5x
05-21-2009, 03:07 PM
Waterboy, my partners and I just paid $4800 for a new exhaust system for the plane and now the alternator has gone out, another $650. That thing ought to fly well if it ever works again! Sure you want a ride?

waterboy
05-21-2009, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
Waterboy, my partners and I just paid $4800 for a new exhaust system for the plane and now the alternator has gone out, another $650. That thing ought to fly well if it ever works again! Sure you want a ride?
:eek: Uuuuuhhh..........I don't know...........you sure it's safe?? You've got me worried now!:eek:

crzyjournalist03
05-22-2009, 09:42 AM
Texas Rangers vs. Detroit: 0-6
Texas Rangers vs. rest of MLB: 23-11

waterboy
05-22-2009, 10:31 AM
Detroit Tigers vs. Texas: 6-0
Detroit Tigers vs. rest of MLB: 17-16

Let's just hope that the Rangers never meet the Tigers in the post-season.;)