PDA

View Full Version : Yoakum hires new AD

44INAROW
05-12-2009, 07:28 AM
Yoakum hires AD/head football coach
www.victoriaadvocate.com
YOAKUM - Brent Kornegay got a preview of what's in store when he visited Yoakum on Monday.

"The facilities were the first thing that came to mind," Kornegay said. "I was fortunate to see the kids while they were in athletics and that was very impressive as well. They were getting after it and that's what I like to see."

The next time Kornegay sees the Yoakum athletes it will be as their athletic director and head football coach.

The Yoakum school district board of trustees unanimously approved hiring Kornegay on Monday night and awarded him a two-year contract with a salary range of $65,000 to $70,000 a year.

Kornegay comes to Yoakum from Orange Grove where he was the athletic director and head football coach for six seasons and had a 38-27 record that included five playoff appearances.

Kornegay began his coaching career at Yoakum on the sub-varsity level in 1989 and also worked as an assistant at Devine and Llano.

Kornegay will replace Dan Burk, who resigned after two seasons to become the head coach at Caney Creek.

"I think it was an opportunity not only for myself, but also my family," Kornegay said. "Just the success they've had in all the sports."

Tom Kelley, superintendent of the Yoakum school district, said the district received 95 applications for the position and interviewed four candidates.

Kornegay will be Yoakum's fourth athletic director and head football coach in five years.

"He is a good person and a role model who we think will do a great job leading the program," Kelley said. "Stability was so important. We think he will be somebody who will be here and build a program."

Kornegay inherits nine offensive and seven defensive starters from last year's team that went 8-4 and advanced to the Class 3A, Division II area playoffs.

"You've got to be in the right spots to be successful," Kornegay said. "We're going to be a little bit different than what they've done in the past offensively and defensively. We're just going to go through and evaluate it and talk to some of the coaches and find out."

Kornegay will be joined in Yoakum by Kent Bode, who was his defensive coordinator at Orange Grove.

"There are some things we are going to do that they've done in the past," Kornegay said. "I don't want to make it where it's just an overall right off the bat. We just want to be good at what we're doing."

2003-08: AD/Head football coach at Orange Grove

2001-02: Assistant at Orange Grove

1994-2000: Assistant at Llano

1991-93: Assistant at Devine

1989-90: Sub-varsity coach at Yoakum

pirate4state
05-12-2009, 09:33 AM
:)

Congrats to Coach Kornegay!

footballguru
05-12-2009, 02:25 PM
Defense? offense? What does he run

gobbler grad
05-12-2009, 06:34 PM
I hope oline09 sees this thread...:thinking:

bulldogs_1975
05-12-2009, 07:31 PM
Why do you say that wish oline would see the thread? Obviously Coach Karnagay has been successful not for sure what he runs on offense but have heard it might be interesting to learn.

44INAROW
05-12-2009, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by bulldogs_1975
Why do you say that wish oline would see the thread?

probably just making the comment cause OLINE has posted several threads wondering who got the job :doh:

LH Panther Mom
05-12-2009, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by bulldogs_1975
Why do you say that wish oline would see the thread?
Going out on a limb, I'm thinking it's because oline has been asking about it on here.

LH Panther Mom
05-12-2009, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
probably just making the comment cause OLINE has posted several threads wondering who got the job :doh:
:thumbsup:

raider red 2000
05-12-2009, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by footballguru
Defense? offense? What does he run

a post in the comments on the victoria advocate website said he likes the split back veer (offense).