PDA

View Full Version : Foriegn exchange student/athlete

Red&White_9x5
05-11-2009, 01:33 PM
Has anyone had a foriegn exchange student play varsity athletics at your school? If so what were the regulations and guidelines? What makes them eligible or ineligible for varsity competition?

BaseballUmp
05-11-2009, 01:35 PM
In Cameron, we have had a few over the past few years, but none were allowed to play varsity sports. Not that they were really good enough to be on varsity, but there were some reasons they werent allowed to play. Not sure why tho

BaseballUmp
05-11-2009, 01:38 PM
Foreign Exchange Eligibility
A foreign exchange student must receive written approval from the UIL Foreign Exchange Waiver Officer for varsity athletics. Eligibility of a foreign exchange student may be granted under the following conditions:

A copy of the student's J-1 visa and certification papers from the approved CSIET (Council on Standards for International
Educational Travel) United States Foreign Exchange Program accompanies a waiver form;

The exchange student has not completed four years of high school attendance;

The exchange student has not received advanced training (defined as training which is above and beyond that which is normally provided in Texas public schools) in the germane activity prior to arriving in Texas, such as pre-Olympic training, being nationally ranked or having similar status in a sport, or participation on a national team; and

The exchange student meets all other UIL eligibility rules.

Foreign exchange students are ineligible for varsity athletic competition if they do not comply with the parent residence rule. Only foreign exchange students who participate in one of the CSIET approved programs are eligible to apply for a waiver of the parent residence rule.

SintonFan_inAustin
05-11-2009, 01:42 PM
:)

is this about the LH pitcher thats waiting to get cleared to pitch?

Red&White_9x5
05-11-2009, 01:49 PM
I think a big question I had was the living with the parent rule. The way I read it, it seems they still have to live with their parent just as if they were a regular student born and raised here. BUT, what if they are coming here to live with their legal guardian, would that be the same thing?

tigerpride_08
05-11-2009, 01:52 PM
i know a couple of ours have played varsity sports...

bigwood33
05-11-2009, 04:16 PM
We had a German exchange student as our varsity kicker during district this year. He got Honorable Mention All District. He was pretty good but had some back problems because he wasn't used to kicking th ball as hard as he could all of the time and his core strength wasn't very good. Once we got his back straightened out he was really good!

Ranger Mom
05-11-2009, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by bigwood33
We had a German exchange student as our varsity kicker during district this year. He got Honorable Mention All District. He was pretty good but had some back problems because he wasn't used to kicking th ball as hard as he could all of the time and his core strength wasn't very good. Once we got his back straightened out he was really good!

We had a german kid one year that played on the freshman team...I don't think he made it past 2-a-days.

I have never seen one person puke as much as that kid after that first day!!!:p

bigwood33
05-11-2009, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
We had a german kid one year that played on the freshman team...I don't think he made it past 2-a-days.

I have never seen one person puke as much as that kid after that first day!!!:p

No doubt! The kid that we had could not believe how hard we worked OR how HOT it was! The coaches took it easy on him since all he did was kick.

kaorder1999
05-11-2009, 04:34 PM
i may be mistaken but if a student is in a foreign exchange program arent they only eligible for one year? That is what I was told at one time.

garciap77
05-11-2009, 04:38 PM
We had a girl from Holland. She ran CC. Cost her $100 to apply with UIL. Also had a Germany boy (temporary) who transferred from Trent High school where he ran CC and played football to Wylie where he ran track. Wylie has had several students participate in sports for several years. Basically, if they were not professional athletes in the country and have not completed four years of high school they are eligible.

garciap77
05-11-2009, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
i may be mistaken but if a student is in a foreign exchange program arent they only eligible for one year? That is what I was told at one time.

Yes that is true. One exchange student want to come back and play football, but was not allowed.

kaorder1999
05-11-2009, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
We had a girl from Holland. She ran CC. Cost her $100 to apply with UIL. Also had a Germany boy (temporary) who transferred from Trent High school where he ran CC to Wylie where he ran track. Wylie has had several students participate in sports for several years. Basically, if they were not professional athletes in the country and have not completed four years of high school they are eligible.

transferring or moving is one thing. But being in a foreign exchange program is different. THey arent living with legal guardians, parents. And I thought because of that they were only granted one year of eligibility.

garciap77
05-11-2009, 04:41 PM
Your are correct kaorder1999.

crzyjournalist03
05-11-2009, 05:29 PM
In college intramurals, I know that they don't care!

A friend of mine had an indoor soccer team our freshman year and convinced a Swiss foreign exchange student to join the team.

He played goalie, and he led the team in goals scored. :D

RMAC
05-11-2009, 06:15 PM
We had a girl from Argentina my Jr. year that got 2nd in RI girls singles and went to the 2nd round in Austin. Being close to Wichita Falls she was offered a scholarship but didn't score high enough on the SAT or ACT mainly because she can't read English. Kinda sucks if you ask me.

Rabid Cougar
05-11-2009, 07:14 PM
China Spring had a girl from Germany on the 2005 State Cahmpionship Basketball team. She was a very productive member of the team.

Keith7
05-11-2009, 07:34 PM
We had a kid come from Italy when I was in high school and was all-district defensive player of the year in soccer and was probably one of the best back up kickers in the state in football too.. We had an all state kicker the year he was in Gainesville so he didn't get much playing time except kickoff duties every now and then

Red&White_9x5
05-12-2009, 10:09 AM
Thanks for all of the info guys, it has given me a better understanding of the rules

PPSTATEBOUND
05-12-2009, 12:29 PM
Had one play JV, from Sweeden..... name was Lars Jergenson.....poor fella got hit so hard on a blind side during a kickoff I thought he was dead. It actually knocked one shoe off!!!:eek: