PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Dallas

Ingleside Fan
05-11-2009, 09:57 AM
I have accepted a job offer in Dallas TX. I need information about neighborhoods, schools etc... (Good/Bad) Thanks for your help in advance. I dread the move but it is better for family and career.

Pick6
05-11-2009, 09:59 AM
What part of Dallas are you going to be working at?

Ingleside Fan
05-11-2009, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by Pick6

On I35E just north of Mockingbird LN.

pirate4state
05-11-2009, 10:02 AM
Good Luck.

I wanted to move back north, but after being up there a week last month, not so much. :D

Ingleside Fan
05-11-2009, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Good Luck.

I wanted to move back north, but after being up there a week last month, not so much. :D

It sure is busy up there but job is good and the Wife said we are getting closer to Momma. (Tyler) :) Happy Wife! Happy Life!

pirate4state
05-11-2009, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by Ingleside Fan
It sure is busy up there but job is good and the Wife said we are getting closer to Momma. (Tyler) :) Happy Wife! Happy Life! Smart man ;)

Ingleside Fan
05-11-2009, 10:08 AM

Viceroy Drive to be specific.

Pick6
05-11-2009, 10:15 AM
If you don't mind a little drive Deion's house is for sale for $21 million. :D

Ingleside Fan
05-11-2009, 10:18 AM
If you don't mind a little drive Deion's house is for sale for $21 million. :D

Don't I wished I made that kind of money.;)

ol country boy
05-11-2009, 10:21 AM
Places that are nice but price range may be a little high:

5A Schools:
Southlake
Plano
McKinney Boyd
Lewisville
Frisco

4A Schools:
Highland Park
Frisco
Carrollton
McKinney

3A
Prosper

These are just a few.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
05-11-2009, 10:25 AM
I have accepted a job offer in Dallas TX. I need information about neighborhoods, schools etc... (Good/Bad) Thanks for your help in advance. I dread the move but it is better for family and career.

The best advice I can offer to you is....don't do it. :D

Ingleside Fan
05-11-2009, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by ol country boy

5A Schools:
Southlake
Plano
McKinney Boyd
Lewisville
Frisco

4A Schools:
Highland Park
Frisco
Carrollton
McKinney

3A
Prosper

These are just a few.

Thanks!

Mckinney, Prosper not to bad of a drive? I know driving will suck, but if the commute is not to bad I would rather live away from Dallas.

firstdown
05-11-2009, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by ol country boy

5A Schools:
Southlake
Plano
McKinney Boyd
Lewisville
Frisco

4A Schools:
Highland Park
Frisco
Carrollton
McKinney

3A not for long
Prosper

These are just a few.

3A
Argyle 30 minutes

4A
Lake Dallas 25 minutes

Traffic will be a beast depending on your start time regardless of where you move.

Pick6
05-11-2009, 10:31 AM
Thanks!

Mckinney, Prosper not to bad of a drive? I know driving will suck, but if the commute is not to bad I would rather live away from Dallas.

The drive would be easier from Prosper than Mckinney. Little Elm is another area that is nice.

Ingleside Fan
05-11-2009, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by firstdown
3A
Argyle 30 minutes

4A
Lake Dallas 25 minutes

Traffic will be a beast depending on your start time regardless of where you move.

I understand driving time will be a problem. Thanks for the suggestions.

Ingleside Fan
05-11-2009, 10:42 AM
The drive would be easier from Prosper than Mckinney. Little Elm is another area that is nice.

Cool I was looking at Little Elm already. Some nice houses on the market right now.

Thanks again!

Keith7
05-11-2009, 11:35 AM
Move to Denton, it's by far the best town in North Texas..

Whatever you do, don't move to Celina!!!! That place is a dump

garciap77
05-11-2009, 11:59 AM
Don't I wished I made that kind of money.;)

If you made that money, you probably would not moving to Dallas!:)

Frisco is really nice!

P.S. And don't move to Celina, Benny lives there!;)

Matthew328
05-11-2009, 12:04 PM
If you want to stay really close to your job Richardson for the most part has decent schools...Lake Highlands is a nicer part actually located in Dallas.

Frisco is not bad either, but more of a drive as is Denton or Lewisville, Little Elm.

Grapevine-Colleyville isn't too bad either and Tarrant County generally is cheaper than Dallas County.

Pick6
05-11-2009, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328

Frisco is not bad either, but more of a drive as is Denton or Lewisville, Little Elm.

The good thing about Frisco and Little Elm is the toll road. Once Denton and Lewisville get's their train system up and running they won't be so bad traffic wise.

Ingleside Fan
05-11-2009, 02:09 PM
Thanks to everyone! This gives us good ideas where we should live.
:D

gatordaze
05-11-2009, 02:12 PM
Thanks to everyone! This gives us good ideas where we should live.
:D

More importantly, tell us about you athletic kids... That will make a big difference in the suggestions!

Emerson1
05-11-2009, 02:34 PM
Don't move to Forney, but if you do stay on the north side of 80. Unless you have a talented kid, come to the south side

Ingleside Fan
05-11-2009, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Don't move to Forney, but if you do stay on the north side of 80. Unless you have a talented kid, come to the south side

Southside the 3a or 4a school?

Ingleside Fan
05-11-2009, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by gatordaze
More importantly, tell us about you athletic kids... That will make a big difference in the suggestions!

I only have one left at home will be going into eight grade. My oldest son graduates this year. He is above average OL/DL/LB so most schools wouldn't get excited about him. He could develop into more, you never know at this age.

3afan
05-11-2009, 03:18 PM
Southside the 3a or 4a school?

for the next realigment the "south side" school, FHS, will be 4A ... the "north side" school, NFHS, will be 3A

and Forney is a great place to live/raise a family ... don't listen to the peanut gallery :D

and the commute from the east side is not near as bad as from the north

Emerson1
05-11-2009, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
for the next realigment the "south side" school, FHS, will be 4A ... the "north side" school, NFHS, will be 3A

and Forney is a great place to live/raise a family ... don't listen to the peanut gallery :D

and the commute from the east side is not near as bad as from the north
3Afan knows not what he speaks of. NF is playing 3A this up coming season, it's unknown like all realignment if they will for sure go 3A. Likely not.

waterboy
05-11-2009, 03:58 PM
I'd say it's definitely easier to get into town from the east. If you have to come in from the north, you may have to add a lot of time to your commute.

crzyjournalist03
05-11-2009, 05:25 PM
Forney/Mesquite/Garland would seem like logical choices for best commute.

Emerson1
05-11-2009, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Forney/Mesquite/Garland would seem like logical choices for best commute.
Mesquite and garland = ghetto

Just don't move to Crandall.

crzyjournalist03
05-11-2009, 05:30 PM
Mesquite and garland = ghetto

Just don't move to Crandall.

There are parts of both Mesquite and Garland that are nice.

Also, your definition of ghetto = cheaper, which may or may not be of concern.

bevodidit
05-11-2009, 05:34 PM
I agree with the Mesquite comment -I am from there. What's wrong with Forney? The drive would not be that bad and you are really close to Tyler. How about Sunnyvale? They are getting a High School. Has the Mesquite ghetto factor moved that way?

If you want to be closer to work, then Richardson or Plano schools. For the love of all that is good stay out of DISD!!!!!

Emerson1
05-11-2009, 05:35 PM
Nothing is wrong with Forney unless your kid is fat and slow. In that case there is rampant crime and you are likely to have your car put up on blocks.

bevodidit
05-11-2009, 05:36 PM

What part of Mesquite is nice? Did they annex Sunnyvale?
Mesquite never was nice and its really bad now. Stay away.

bevodidit
05-11-2009, 05:37 PM
Nothing is wrong with Forney unless your kid is fat and slow. In that case there is rampant crime and you are likely to have your car put up on blocks.

Sorry about that. Sounds like some Mesquite folks moved east.

Hey how about Rockwall? May be pricey?

kepdawg
05-11-2009, 05:38 PM
On I35E just north of Mockingbird LN.

If I were working there I would look at Euless, Southlake, Colleyville, Grapevine, and Coppell.

Emerson1
05-11-2009, 05:39 PM
Euless, Southlake

Those other schools couldn't give a hoot about football. That is why Bob Shipley left Coppell.

bevodidit
05-11-2009, 05:41 PM
If you have Big $$ and like the snooties, HP sounds very close to that location.

kepdawg
05-11-2009, 05:42 PM
Euless, Southlake

Those other schools couldn't give a hoot about football. That is why Bob Shipley left Coppell.

Football would be pretty far down my list of priorities.

bevodidit
05-11-2009, 05:43 PM
Run a sex offenders search on the Mesquite zip codes and it lights up like Las Vegas.

Emerson1
05-11-2009, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Football would be pretty far down my list of priorities.
If you can't make a decision it might as well be a factor.

kepdawg
05-11-2009, 05:45 PM
If you can't make a decision it might as well be a factor.

By no means a deciding factor.

Diocletian
05-11-2009, 07:15 PM

Gratz on your new job offer.

I, myself, passed up an offer to work in Dallas to work in Corpus Christi. After almost 5 years now, I still regret not taking the job offer for Dallas. I have met some great people here though...

I know some good people who work in Dallas and they all say great things about the schools and subdivisions. As for eating you can never go wrong with a good local non-chain steakhouse.

Have fun!

Emerson1
05-12-2009, 12:44 AM
By no means a deciding factor.
Why not?

If they both have equal academics, why not send your kids to a school that has community support behind it's athletic program?

kepdawg
05-12-2009, 12:51 AM
Why not?

If they both have equal academics, why not send your kids to a school that has community support behind it's athletic program?

The school would not be the only consideration to where I was moving.

Ingleside Fan
05-12-2009, 05:56 AM
The school would not be the only consideration to where I was moving.

Your right the school is only part. Heck in 5 years we will be empty nesters. :( Wait then I can have my naked room!:D

Ingleside Fan
05-12-2009, 05:59 AM

I have found a few houses on the net in Mesquite that are very nice. Maybe they just built nice homes in the bad part of town?

Would know how Horn High school is?

Ingleside Fan
05-12-2009, 06:06 AM
Originally posted by Diocletian
Gratz on your new job offer.

I, myself, passed up an offer to work in Dallas to work in Corpus Christi. After almost 5 years now, I still regret not taking the job offer for Dallas. I have met some great people here though...

I know some good people who work in Dallas and they all say great things about the schools and subdivisions. As for eating you can never go wrong with a good local non-chain steakhouse.

Have fun!

Thanks for the well wishes. I hope getting closer to family will make the wife happier. Since my team will be starting up a new office, there will be lots of overtime.

Ingleside Fan
05-12-2009, 06:15 AM
How about Rowlett?

I guess south of Dallas is out of the question? Heard some nice things about Red Oak?

Ingleside Fan
05-12-2009, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
Rowlett's a nice place, but not sure about your drive from there. Of course, if you have a son who's a good athlete, then Rowlett's a GREAT place.
Plano wouldn't be too bad of a drive, either would Carrollton. I still think the area around JJ Pearce/UT Dallas would be the best bet. Nice area, good schools, not too bad drive to and from work.
Id stay away from south of Dallas, especially if you're planning on staying awhile. Area's changing quickly.

Thanks! This will help in directing the realtors to the area we need to stay in.

bevodidit
05-12-2009, 11:13 AM
Ernest T is on the money. JJ Pearce is an excellent school.

Ingleside Fan
05-12-2009, 06:05 PM
Thanks again for everyone's help. I will make our move to Dallas area much easier.

IrishTex
05-12-2009, 06:16 PM
Just wanted to add my .02 worth.

Desoto is going to have a great team this year.

The Dallas Area Rapid Transit is good for catching a mass transit train to places in Dallas and it's cheap.

There are so many different areas in Dallas County to live, it all just depends on what you want. If i were to live in a country type setting, I would go out to Forney.

If I wanted the Yuppy kind of feel, I would move to Highland Park.

There is something for everyone. I might also mention DART goes up to Richardson as well. Good luck.

garciap77
05-12-2009, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by IrishTex
Just wanted to add my .02 worth.

Desoto is going to have a great team this year.

The Dallas Area Rapid Transit is good for catching a mass transit train to places in Dallas and it's cheap.

There are so many different areas in Dallas County to live, it all just depends on what you want. If i were to live in a country type setting, I would go out to Forney.

If I wanted the Yuppy kind of feel, I would move to Highland Park.

There is something for everyone. I might also mention DART goes up to Richardson as well. Good luck.

Hey, Go Blue! How things going out there?:D

You need to come watch the Wylie dawgs play this year! They will be give out free Tee-shirts!:D

IrishTex
05-12-2009, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
Hey, Go Blue! How things going out there?:D

You need to come watch the Wylie dawgs play this year! They will be give out free Tee-shirts!:D

I'm very sorry Mr. Garcia, I'm not Go Blue. Sorry.

:)

garciap77
05-12-2009, 07:45 PM
I'm very sorry Mr. Garcia, I'm not Go Blue. Sorry.

:)

Free Tee-Shirts!:D :D :D

;)

IrishTex
05-12-2009, 07:47 PM
Free Tee-Shirts!:D :D :D

;)

:confused:

carter08
05-12-2009, 07:50 PM
dallas?

i'm sorry.

garciap77
05-12-2009, 07:50 PM
:confused:

Sorry IrishTex! The rumor at the Whataburger in BW must not have been true! Rumor had it that you were the famous Go Blue!:D

;)

IrishTex
05-12-2009, 07:57 PM
Sorry IrishTex! The rumor at the Whataburger in BW must not have been true! Rumor had it that you were the famous Go Blue!:D

;)

No sir. Sorry about that.

:p

IrishTex
05-12-2009, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
DART's a great way to get robbed, raped, or killed. Also, if you're looking to buy drugs or a lady for the evening, you can find it on DART as well.
Oh, and Desoto is "going to have a great team" every year.

Not to be confrontational, but I ride the Trinity Railway Express fromn Hwy 360 and trinity to Dallas Union Station and then transfer to DART and from there go to Central Expressway in Dallas.

Total time: 40 minutes
Total cost: $50.00 per year

I've been riding those two trains for about 10 months now, and thank the Lord, I've never been robbed or assaulted yet.

BILLYFRED0000
05-13-2009, 08:00 AM
How about Rowlett?

I guess south of Dallas is out of the question? Heard some nice things about Red Oak?

I have lived up here for 23 years now. Celina is home and will stay home till my kids are gone. Great school and all. I have worked exactly where you are going and the drive from Celina now is not bad cause of the tollway. Probably 50 minutes. However Mansfield is on the other side of town and nice. I had a boss that worked and drove from mansfield and he could make it in less than 40 consistently. So you can be south and a good ways out because the traffic on the southside is just not as tough as north dallas. I would stay away from east west drives unless you are close because they are all more at the mercy of how many wrecks you get. The south to north drive is by far the best. But I do the Celina thing to grapevine and it is no sweat at all. So you could definetly look at Frisco Prosper Celina area. If you like small town living that is. Argyle is not too bad but 35 is a bear. Little Elm is worse still with too many cars and still not enough roads. I lived there and still drive by there. it is better than it was because now you can have access to the tollway and they are still working on a toll bridge to 35 that will increase accessibility and the school there is good. Most of the schools north of town are good. Sanger which is further out on 35 is tops and ARgyle is tops as well when it comes to schools. And the people generally are great.

rcbulldog34
05-13-2009, 12:29 PM
If you have a son who plays football we would love to have you in Royse City.

Ingleside Fan
05-13-2009, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by rcbulldog34

Quite a drive isn't it?

Pick6
05-13-2009, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by rcbulldog34

Where's Gsquared from? :thinking: