PDA

View Full Version : Trotline Bait........

BOCEPHUS
05-11-2009, 05:53 AM
..........I BEEN MARINATEN HOT DOG WEENIES IN VINEGAR, LIMBERGER CHEESE, GARLIC POWDER, BAR-BQ-SAUCE, MUSTARD, STRAWBERRY KOOLAID, ALINISE OIL, SALT, STEW FROM PIG BRAIN, AND LEFT OVER CATFISH GUT CLEAN'ENS FOR A WHILE................WHAT ELSE DO YOU USE????

garciap77
05-11-2009, 07:54 AM
Minnows and liver.

Looking4number8
05-11-2009, 08:10 AM
When I was a kid, at the start of the summer my dad would by a couple of slabs of "cotton seed cake". It was something like 3'x6' and about 1 1/2" thick. We would cut it in 2" squares (with a skill saw) and drill holes in the middle of each square. The first time we put them on the line, it seemed like an all day affair. You had to take the string off the line and thread it thru the cotton seed, then put it back on the trot line. After the first time, most of the seeds would last up to a month and we just had to replace a few at a time, so running the trot line was easy. The Cotton seed caught us a lot of big cat fish, yellow cats and even some blue cats. We also caught gar, drum and a every once in a while we would get a snake... Man I hated that part!

Every summer we ran six trot lines at least twice daily. Dad got either me or my brother up before six and we would run the lines. I would go back to bed and he would go to work. Sometimes we would run them again when he got home at 5 but we always ran them again after dark.

I remember we had two trap doors on our dock with huge square wire baskets. We would clean all the catfish we caught on weekends and lots of time both of those baskets would be completely full!

JasperDog94
05-11-2009, 08:29 AM
At night we always used live bait but during the day my Dad would cut up ivory soap and use that as bait. It worked surprisingly well.

BOCEPHUS
05-11-2009, 09:23 AM
ANYBODY EVER USED STORE BOUGHT BISCUITS, POP'EM OPEN AND LET THEM SET IN FIRG FOR A DAY, THE MIX'EM WITH SOMETHING GOOD AND STINKEY.

REASON I AM ASKING I FOUND 5 GALLONS OF WEENIE BAIT FORM LAST YEAR, HAS 14 MONTHS OF MARINADE GOING FOR IT. IS AOBUT 300 CHUNKS BUT THEY ALL SOFT, WONT STAY ON HOOK. WAS TRYING TO FIGURE HOW TO GET THEM ON, MASH UP AND MIX UP, SOMEDAY SAID CORNMEAL, CORNFLAKES, OATMEAL, KARO SYRUP OR HONEY.

IS SOME PRIME STUFF THOUGH. WAS A 16 PART MARINADE ..FOR STARTERS WAS VINEGAR, GARLIC, FISH GUTS, CHEESE.......

ANYWAY IT WILL KNOCK A BUZZARD OFF'EN A 10 DAY OLD GUT WAGAON THATS FOR SURE.

WILL SELL 1/2 IF IT FOR $50 IF'EN ANYBODY WANTS SOME??

BwdLions
05-11-2009, 09:33 AM
The best bait I've ever used on trotlines to catch catfish is helgramites. You have to catch them first with a seine. The only river I've ever caught them in is the Colorado back when it used to run.

BOCEPHUS
05-11-2009, 09:56 AM
WATER DAWGS!!
DAD BLAME THINGS HARD TO FIND, HARDER TO KEEP ALIVE

GreenMonster
05-11-2009, 10:47 AM
I dunno about trot lining, but when the catfish are spawning I use a mixture of Quaker Oats and Big Red. Mix it up so that it's sticky and wrap it onto your treble hook, cats and even carp go crazy over it.

solocam
05-11-2009, 11:26 AM
Perch and small carp for yellow cats

Bearkat
05-11-2009, 11:26 AM
Perch. Catfish like perch!!!

crzyjournalist03
05-11-2009, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by BOCEPHUS
..........I BEEN MARINATEN HOT DOG WEENIES IN VINEGAR, LIMBERGER CHEESE, GARLIC POWDER, BAR-BQ-SAUCE, MUSTARD, STRAWBERRY KOOLAID, ALINISE OIL, SALT, STEW FROM PIG BRAIN, AND LEFT OVER CATFISH GUT CLEAN'ENS FOR A WHILE................WHAT ELSE DO YOU USE????

Wow...that's a lot of stuff.

You must be a master baiter.

Looking4number8
05-11-2009, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Bearkat
Perch. Catfish like perch!!!

yes they do. I used to perch fish all afernoon and we would put them on the hooks. Another thing we did was gather mussels from shallow water. When the lake level is going down, the mussels are plentiful. We also had to open them dang things with a screwdriver. Also, went to my uncles farm and caught grasshoppers off the corn plants. Never a shortage of them when it was real hot. Man, I did not realize we worked so hard at fishing back then.

Looking4number8
05-11-2009, 11:39 AM
Oh, and the ironic thing is my dad NEVER NEVER are fish, he hates em, but he loved to catch em!

PPHSfan
05-11-2009, 01:37 PM
I use live crawfish. They stay on until they catch fish.

Emerson1
05-11-2009, 01:42 PM
Worms

Anything else is just cheating.

espn1
05-11-2009, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Worms

Anything else is just cheating.

For a Trot Line?

Shad, Perch, Gizzards, Livers! I've also seen some women out at Pardner's the would work! maybe not they might be a little too fishy.:D :D :D

Emerson1
05-11-2009, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by espn1
For a Trot Line?

Shad, Perch, Gizzards, Livers! I've also seen some women out at Pardner's the would work! maybe not they might be a little too fishy.:D :D :D
Trot lines are cheating

Diocletian
05-11-2009, 06:36 PM
Use goldfish. You'll catch some great channel-cat.

You might also snag a snake or two though, and depending on where you are those are good eatin' too.

navratbacker
05-11-2009, 08:46 PM
i use danny king punch bait that works great for cat fish

zebrablue2
05-11-2009, 09:22 PM
ANYBODY EVER USED STORE BOUGHT BISCUITS, POP'EM OPEN AND LET THEM SET IN FIRG FOR A DAY, THE MIX'EM WITH SOMETHING GOOD AND STINKEY.

REASON I AM ASKING I FOUND 5 GALLONS OF WEENIE BAIT FORM LAST YEAR, HAS 14 MONTHS OF MARINADE GOING FOR IT. IS AOBUT 300 CHUNKS BUT THEY ALL SOFT, WONT STAY ON HOOK. WAS TRYING TO FIGURE HOW TO GET THEM ON, MASH UP AND MIX UP, SOMEDAY SAID CORNMEAL, CORNFLAKES, OATMEAL, KARO SYRUP OR HONEY.

IS SOME PRIME STUFF THOUGH. WAS A 16 PART MARINADE ..FOR STARTERS WAS VINEGAR, GARLIC, FISH GUTS, CHEESE.......

ANYWAY IT WILL KNOCK A BUZZARD OFF'EN A 10 DAY OLD GUT WAGAON THATS FOR SURE.

LOL...:D

WILL SELL 1/2 IF IT FOR $50 IF'EN ANYBODY WANTS SOME??

sinfan75
05-11-2009, 09:29 PM
perch , minnows and redman chewin tobacco. Also hardhead meat or pretty much anything else we could find. Catfish are pretty wide open about their diet.

trojan37
05-11-2009, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
I dunno about trot lining, but when the catfish are spawning I use a mixture of Quaker Oats and Big Red. Mix it up so that it's sticky and wrap it onto your treble hook, cats and even carp go crazy over it.

I've seen corn flakes used also. Mix it up into balls and bait the hooks and look out!

Electus Unus
05-11-2009, 10:17 PM
left over cuts from your last catch

slingshot
05-11-2009, 11:00 PM
Used to trotline fish a lot with my Dad and his buddies on the Colorado and San Saba rivers when I was a kid. We used perch (live small ones worked best, hook them through the tail); shad gizzards--we would seine them and clean them, a lot of work--but they worked great; live grasshoppers--would catch them at night during the summer by flashlight, think I still have a home-made keeper somewhere, wood ends with wire tube side and a rubber slit to stick the hoppers in; helgamites (sp?), would gather them from under rocks in a fast running stream. We caught a lot of channel and yellow cats back in those days... good memories. Good until you remember a water moccasin wrapping around your arm at 3 AM that was hooked on a trotline that you were running in the dark with a dim flash light and nearly having a heart attack!!!
:D

Ranger Mom
05-11-2009, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Trot lines are cheating

Kinda like feeding deer all year and hiding in a blind and shooting the poor unsuspecting deer while he is eating where you trained him to!!

No sport to that, IMO!!

kepdawg
05-11-2009, 11:19 PM
So I take it a trotline is some sort of fish?

Ranger Mom
05-11-2009, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
So I take it a trotline is some sort of fish?

You so silly!

kepdawg
05-11-2009, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
You so silly!

Well if you got bait for it I'm assuming you can catch it!

BOCEPHUS
05-12-2009, 05:58 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Wow...that's a lot of stuff.

You must be a master baiter.

THAT WOULD BE 'MASTER BAITER SIR '

SOME PEOPLE KALL ME KONG

OTHERS BAITZILLA
U BETTER DO MORE RESEARCH FORE U LEAVE THE SIR OUT

Looking4number8
05-12-2009, 07:18 AM
[

OTHERS BAITZILLA
[/B]

Baitzilla.... :clap: :clap:

PPSTATEBOUND
05-12-2009, 07:37 AM
I have trot lined a few times in my days, Mosses Lake "saltwater", Texoma, Lake Nocona, Ray Roberts...

Shrimp works great, Sardines, Scalops, cut shade or whole shad, Live Perch, cut bait any type fish, Ivory soap and cheese mixed then melted on a cookie sheet then cut into cubes " great for soft shell turtle also" bucket stink bait mixed with cattails to better stay on hook, hominy, liver, gizzards, goldfish, Minnows dead or alive..and yes even hot dogs.....

Shrimp and any type small live fish has always worked best for me.....

Try putting some maze into a nylon stocking then tying it off and hanging it on the trot line in a few spots that will bring them in.

Yall have a great day!:)