SintonFan
05-08-2009, 11:43 PM
Huh...
hasn't this parish seen "Footloose"?:D

ronwx5x
05-09-2009, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by Maroon87
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090508/ap_on_re_us/us_school_dance_flap

This might be a slam against that school or denomination, but not religion in general. Do you really believe this type of stuff is a mainline Christian belief?

Ranger Mom
05-09-2009, 08:59 AM
I don't think the religion has run amok....I think the school has!!

It is a Baptist school, I am Baptist, and there were never any repercussions in going to a dance....it may have been frowned upon by some of the older folk, but that was about it.

My mother, who is an extremely devout Baptist, danced the cotten-eyed-joe at a Texas Rangers' game before!!:eek:

oh yeah....and I have ALWAYS listened to rock music!

Saying all that, I still get a kick out of this old joke:

Question: Why don't Baptist make love standing up??

Answer: Because someone might think they are dancing!!:D :D

Farmersfan
05-09-2009, 09:30 AM
Typical! And I would say more mainstream than most of you think.

LH Panther Mom
05-09-2009, 11:29 AM
My high school didn't have a prom because dancing was "illegal" in my town. We had a junior/senior banquet each year instead. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Imagine having a July 4th street dance where dancing was prohibited!

I'm Methodist, but the town had a large Baptist & Church of Christ presence. Sooooo....the Methodist youth director helped us build & paint a dance floor from plywood. We would put it down in our Fellowship Hall and have dances every 2-3 months. I'm sure it didn't go over well with the parents of the Baptist & Church of Christ kids that attended every time. :devil:

PhiI C
05-09-2009, 11:40 AM
RM I admire the Baptist Church.

sinton66
05-09-2009, 11:40 AM
If the school receives support and funding from the national church, why wouldn't they teach/enforce the church's doctrine?Those within the church who disagree with it's teachings are free to choose another church to follow.

PhiI C
05-09-2009, 11:41 AM
Maroon87 one thing a Baptist will NEVER do is drink an alcoholic beverage. I respect that.

sinton66
05-09-2009, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by PhiI C
Maroon87 one thing a Baptist will NEVER do is drink an alcoholic beverage. I respect that.

That's not an ABSOLUTE truth in all cases, some will, others won't.

Reds fan
05-09-2009, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by PhiI C

:spitlol:

JasperDog94
05-09-2009, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
Typical! And I would say more mainstream than most of you think. lol...you would.

PPHSfan
05-09-2009, 09:15 PM
Being a Baptist myself, this is one of my favorite Baptist jokes.

The Jews don't recognize Jesus as the messiah. The Protestants don't recognize the authority of the pope. The Mormons don't recognize Jesus as the last Prophet and The Baptists don't recognize each other at Hooters.

garciap77
05-09-2009, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
Being a Baptist myself, this is one of my favorite Baptist jokes.

The Jews don't recognize Jesus as the messiah. The Protestants don't recognize the authority of the pope. The Mormons don't recognize Jesus as the last Prophet and The Baptists don't recognize each other at Hooters. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Trashman
05-10-2009, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
If the school receives support and funding from the national church, why wouldn't they teach/enforce the church's doctrine?Those within the church who disagree with it's teachings are free to choose another church to follow.

I have been a southern baptist for many years and mostly what we have here in Texas and in the south. This is much different than a fundimental baptist church, which tends to be more like the Assemby of God church, very, very conservitive in its religious faith.
Each Southern baptist church is autonomous, that is it sets its own doctine and raises it's own money from it's members, as long as it dosent stray too far from the norm. A church that strays from the norm too far will find that other baptist churches will with draw fellowship. Kind of like being kicked out of the faith. Since baptist churches aren't funded from a central source it has little affect. A few years ago a baptist church in Louisianna would hold a dance for their youth, while a baptist chruch in Texas would frown on such activities. As far as drinking goes, that also depends on the church as well. it is still not widely accepted by most churches. Churchs are like people their personalities differ. Hope this clears up some questions. Which reminds me of an old joke. Why do you always take two baptist fishing with you? If you take just one he will drink all your beer. LOL

So is the pastor right or wrong? Depends on weather or not the congragation fires him over this. :thinking: If he were pastor of my church he would probably be fired.

Farmersfan
05-11-2009, 11:24 AM
In order to base one's entire life and belief structure on something wouldn't that something need to be concrete and absolute? Why would anyone accept the idea that churches have different interpretations of "God's Word" yet have such uncompromising convictions that the "other parts" are correct? If you question even 1 small part of the Bible then you must also question the whole. It's not suppose to be a give or take equation. It's either God's Word and infallible or it's God's Word based on the interpretations of man and therefore subject to scrutiny. But of course a REAL Christian will have a good answer for their picking and choosing which parts to believe and which not to..........

DDBooger
05-11-2009, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
In order to base one's entire life and belief structure on something wouldn't that something need to be concrete and absolute? Why would anyone accept the idea that churches have different interpretations of "God's Word" yet have such uncompromising convictions that the "other parts" are correct? If you question even 1 small part of the Bible then you must also question the whole. It's not suppose to be a give or take equation. It's either God's Word and infallible or it's God's Word based on the interpretations of man and therefore subject to scrutiny. But of course a REAL Christian will have a good answer for their picking and choosing which parts to believe and which not to.......... careful, you may be asked to leave the country!

Pick6
05-11-2009, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by DDBooger
careful, you may be asked to leave the country!

Keep twisting King Atheist. Just remember what America was founded on.

DDBooger
05-11-2009, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Pick6
Keep twisting King Atheist. Just remember what America was founded on. lmao so spiteful! :flaming:
;) (but continuing to prove the point from the other thread!)

Ranger Mom
05-11-2009, 12:03 PM
Good Lord.....:doh:

Yes...I said LORD!!!

I don't have to explain my beliefs to anyone. I believe what I believe and no one can take that away from me.

I don't understand when someone believes something a certain way the one who DOESN'T believe it feels like they need an explanation for it.:rolleyes:

Don't worry about it!