PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever seen a tornado in real life?

Keith7
05-08-2009, 09:52 PM
I'm not talking about that "swirling low hanging clouds" crap.. I'm talking about a full blown tornado.. I'm wanting to see one soon but storms have been weak this year..

95mustang
05-08-2009, 09:58 PM
saw one tonight.

Keith7
05-08-2009, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by 95mustang
saw one tonight.

I'm callin b.s.

orange machine
05-08-2009, 10:04 PM
I saw two of them when i was younger and its freakin scary.

c-town_balla
05-08-2009, 10:16 PM
I saw one in the town of Cyclone of all places.

injuredinmelee
05-08-2009, 10:41 PM
grew up in wichita falls area and saw my fair share. pretty intense.

SintonFan
05-08-2009, 10:57 PM
I saw one myself; around 2.5 miles away, South-West of my parents' house in 1981.
I will never forget that image.
Denise and I saw a waterspout over Nueces Bay in Spring 1999. But that one was at night. We lost many of our possessions because of a violent April/May Northern that night. Stupid flimsy storage buildings.

Looking4number8
05-08-2009, 11:42 PM
I have never seen one but have been mighty close a couple of times (including tonight).

When I was in puberty and lived at the lake a friend and I rode our bikes to town. Now remember this was in the mid 70's so once we left the house our parents had no way to contact us. We messed around town all afternoon and finally headed back home (about a 8 mile bike ride). The weather had been wierd all day but a 14 year old boy is never scared of a cloud or two. Anyways by the time we got home the pecan orchard between the lake and town go destroyed by a tornado. We rode our bikes by it about 10 minutes before it hit. When I rode up to the house my mom was in a pure panick worried about me. Needless to say my mother was never happier to see me than she was that day.

trojan37
05-08-2009, 11:47 PM
Go out with these guys. Turn down the volume a little. There's a couple of holy s*&%s in there!

tornadovideos.net chase team (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrM0aecr1es&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Etornadovideos%2Enet%2F&feature=player_embedded)

95mustang
05-09-2009, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by Keith7
I'm callin b.s.

You can if you like. I don't have to prove anything. I know the were mulitple people in Brownwood and Early that witnessed a toronado tonight. Some of us (like me) were out working during the storm.

3afan
05-09-2009, 07:24 AM
yeah back in the early 90s, that tornado that hit Wylie started in Northern Kaufman County ... I shot some video that one of my kids took to school to show

http://www.nytimes.com/1993/05/10/us/tornadoes-sweep-dallas-region-killing-1-and-closing-a-hospital.html

I. B. Watching
05-09-2009, 07:30 AM
Yes, over the years, three in the dallas area. Two were very destructive

catgut
05-09-2009, 07:43 AM
I've saw three of them up close. One huge one missed my house about 1/4 mile when it killed 11 here in Paris. The sound is something you don't hear much about but you'll never forget.

Ranger Mom
05-09-2009, 09:11 AM
We had a storm at our house in the early 80's/late 70's, can't remember exactly when...I was around 16 or 17 at the time.

My brother and sister were in town and it was just me and my mom at home. It was raining, windblowing, electricity flickered off and on...but when the hail started it got our attention.

We were standing at the front door watching the hail hit the trampoline when all the sudden it got really quiet....and all the sudden the windows at the back of the house were being broken by hail.

We ran that direction to see what was going on and the wind shifted again and windows in the front of the house were being broken.

We were having to run by windows with pillows as to not get hit by tennis ball size hail and finally hunkered down in the hallway to ride it out.

When it was all said and done, the window over the kitchen sink was the only one that survived.

We heard later that a tornado had touched down between Coahoma and Big Spring...which is where we were.

My brother and sister were in Big Spring, and it didn't even rain where they were!!

So.....in answer to the question: I don't know if we saw a tornado in real life...but we were definitely right smack dab in the middle of something!!

sinfan75
05-09-2009, 09:18 AM
3 water spouts and was on the edge of a tornado on a drilling rig outside of benavidez. Derrickhand got beat up pretty good. black eye and a cut on his forehead from the baseball size hail. We had just started pulling pipe out of the hole when the sucker hit. Pretty darn scary when you have nowhere to go but hunker down and hope nothin falls you.

Rabid Cougar
05-09-2009, 10:03 AM
The only ones I actually saw were :

1976 Oklahoma City - Went right down the street in front of my great uncles house

1998 or 99 -Lake Whitney- Started out on the lake and then moved to the shore. Killed a elderly couple near Laguna Park.

Reds fan
05-09-2009, 10:10 AM
Saw one touch down on the Katy prairie back in late 70's. Have seen several funnel clouds over the years.

Bone Pile
05-09-2009, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Keith7
I'm not talking about that "swirling low hanging clouds" crap.. I'm talking about a full blown tornado.. I'm wanting to see one soon but storms have been weak this year..

You may be wanting to experience a tornado,but believe you me you need to stop watching TV and come to your senses. These are mighty powerful occurances and they can do a lot of damage. They kill people and disrupt a lot of lives. Your best bet is to be in one and survive and rest to sure that will be the end of your fantasies. These bad boys are SERIOUS. Just ask someone that has experinced one. Oh never mind,you just heard from one.

piratebg
05-09-2009, 01:26 PM
I've seen an F0 outside of Taft. It didn't last all that long and was in the middle of a field.

bwdlionfan
05-09-2009, 02:04 PM
I've seen lots of whirlwinds!

Trashman
05-09-2009, 03:46 PM
Was working in a feed mill in Mason County in 78 or 79 when it was hit by a tornado. I ended up on the floor of a storage building that had been crushed by a falling grain silo. It is a miracle that I am alive today. Scared the beegeebers out of me. I still get a little crazy when the clouds turn black and the wind blows.:eek:

PPHSfan
05-09-2009, 08:06 PM
I've seen several. Been up close to a couple. Had one go right over my house in Irving Texas in 1969.

BwdLions
05-11-2009, 09:44 AM
I've never seen one but I heard one go over our house one night when we lived close to Brownwood back in the early 90s. It caused plenty of damage in the area but we were lucky because it apparently wasn't on the ground when it came our way (our home was in a low area). It took the roof off the barn up the hill. I will agree that they do sound like a train and it doesn't last but a few seconds.

pancho villa
05-11-2009, 09:49 AM
1988 one hit our house tore up our roof, and patio, knocked down some trees and our fence.

waterboy
05-11-2009, 10:36 AM
I've never actually seen a tornado. I've seen the aftermath of a couple of them in my neighborhood growing up, but I slept through them.:eek: Some neighbors' homes were damaged, trees uprooted, limbs all over the place, but our home was untouched. I've seen rotating clouds that later formed a tornado, too, but I've never actually seen a funnel cloud on the ground. It's okay with me if I NEVER see one! As a matter of fact, I hope I never see one in real life!

crzyjournalist03
05-11-2009, 11:43 AM
I lived through the tornado of '94 in Lancaster that destroyed half the city. One street over to the east and two streets over to the west were demolished, but my house survived. Didn't actually see the tornado, but the damage was evident the next day as we had toys and stuff all over our yard from other houses.

Texasfootball2
05-11-2009, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
grew up in wichita falls area and saw my fair share. pretty intense.

"Ditto", Went to High School in Throckmorton, lived on the north side of town. Had a great view of my fair share of twisters. Very cool, but "intense" is very good description.

westtxfballfan
05-11-2009, 01:56 PM
Didn't see it because we were inside, but one tore through our elementary school when I was a second-grader in Monahans in April 1977. The alarm went off during lunch as we sat down to eat, and we thought it was another drill. We complained to the teacher that we didn't get to eat, and she calmly kept us moving to the hall where we lined the wall on our knees and tucked our heads down. It is deafeningly loud, and it really does sound like trains passing on either side of you. It drowned out 200 screaming 2nd graders in our hall. It took roofs off of houses around the school, but was not a very strong one. Only a relatively minor teacher injury in our school.

Old Dog
05-11-2009, 02:33 PM
Rode one out in Burnet in '73. Missed our 50 year old frame rent house by 2 blocks.......no visible damage, but the old house always leaked air after that (had been very tight before). I agree with westtxfballfan, it sounded just like a freight train passed overhead. No one was killed, but there were dozens of close calls all over town. Story after story how if people had been where they normally were, they would have perished!

My folks had a large chicken coop of laying hens at the edge of town. The hens didn't lay for 2-3 days and when they finaly did, the shells were very thick and had many had double and triple yolks. Several hens died laying oversized eggs. All the wind and noise really screwed the chickens up!

I still look for cover when I hear those noises after 30 plus years!

I bet espn1 recalls that day...........................

Ex-Tiger2005
05-12-2009, 01:31 PM
We were not home but there was one in northern scurry co. when i was about 12 yrs old that took out my grandparents house!

PPSTATEBOUND
05-12-2009, 01:51 PM
I witnessed twin water spouts in June of 1989 off Galveston harbor, I was pretty looped at the time....So I'm glad I had 5 friends that witnesssed the same twins gettin after it also:cool:

PHS Wildcats
05-12-2009, 08:10 PM
I saw one when I was 10 yrs old. I'll never forget it. Nov 15th 1987. In Palestine. It was crazy, because My dad, brother 2 sisters and my younger nephew were watching the Dallas Cowgirls and the NE Patriots and the game went into overtime. We never got to see the end, because the tv went out. It was raining like crazy and then it started hailing and then it got real quiet. I look outside my bedroom window and say what was later called a F4 tornado. Coming at our home. We all ran to the bathroom and started praying. It hit the 2 house on either side of us but left ours untouched. One of our elementry school was completely destoyed and all the clocks at that school all stopped at 3pm. If it had happened the next day(Monday) then it would've been real bad. It was confirmed that there were ateast 3 tornados, maybe 4 that hit Palestine that day.

You think you want to see one, but trust me, you wants no part of one.

PPSTATEBOUND
05-12-2009, 08:27 PM
Dallas Cowgirls :clap:

LOL....:eek:

Cats Fan
05-12-2009, 09:26 PM
does it count if you've seen a tornado at Universal Studios TWISTER show??? cause if it does then i was like 5 feet from it :)