PDA

View Full Version : pretty nasty storm in Brownwood tonight

Looking4number8
05-08-2009, 09:50 PM
Heard of possible tornado but no confirmation yet. All 4 radio stations have been off the air for several hours.

I was on my porch looking out at the road and the wind (probably 40 mph at best guess) was blowing due south and making white caps on the highway. It settled for a minute then it started blowing just as hard to the north and white capping the road. A few minutes later it was going south again.. just as hard. After about 10 minutes of that it started blowing west straight into my door so hard I had to dead bolt it to keep it shut good. It blew west for the rest of the storm.

I have never witnessed any thing like that before.

95mustang
05-08-2009, 09:55 PM
From what I am understanding we had 2 Toronadoes touch down. One outside Early and one outside of Brookesmith. Brownwood just had wind, hail, and lots of rain. I think its going to be a long night for us emergency responders.

bwdlionfan
05-08-2009, 10:08 PM
Storm spotters spotted a tornado on the ground near Early. I've heard rumors that part of Kroger's roof is gone... anyone have confirmation? My parents, sister, and grandparent's are all still without power.

Looking4number8
05-08-2009, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by bwdlionfan
Storm spotters spotted a tornado on the ground near Early. I've heard rumors that part of Kroger's roof is gone... anyone have confirmation? My parents, sister, and grandparent's are all still without power.

I have not but I heard that Higginbothams roof was blow off (which is probally 300 yards from my house) who knows for sure until we can get out and take a look in the daylight.

bwdlionfan
05-08-2009, 10:13 PM
I started watching that storm when it was building near Eastland. It was moving southeast like it was going to hit Dublin, but at the same time another storm was developing up around Mineral Wells moving due south. The two storms kind of converged and together started tracking south and expanding to the west. It was a pretty crazy thing to watch on radar. If anyone who has power watches the Abilene news they'll probably say something about damage.

orange machine
05-08-2009, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by Looking4number8
I have not but I heard that Higginbothams roof was blow off (which is probally 300 yards from my house) who knows for sure until we can get out and take a look in the daylight.

Higginbothams what the heck is that?

bwdlionfan
05-08-2009, 10:15 PM
It's a lumber yard....

My friend just texted me and told me the Abilene news reported damage at Kroger and water was pouring in

Looking4number8
05-08-2009, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by orange machine
Higginbothams what the heck is that?

Like he said, it is a lumber yard but I just drove over there and it is fine. Did not go toward the Kroger (thats a grocerys store OM) because the traffic was thick with site see-ers.

Looking4number8
05-08-2009, 10:30 PM
the Abilene news reported damage at Kroger and water was pouring in

Man we will be lucky if they keep that store open. It has flooded 3 times big time since 1990 and now this!

Antec
05-08-2009, 10:34 PM
What city is Kroger Store in?

bwdlionfan
05-08-2009, 10:35 PM
That building is terrible. Supposedly Kroger is locked in to a forever long lease in that building from what I've heard. The location is great other than being right by that creek and flooding. If it's damaged TOO badly, I think they should bulldoze and build elsewhere. There's no way you could bulldoze and ever raise the ground enough there to build a store that wouldn't flood I don't think. Kroger had 4 feet of water inside of it during those first two floods.

bwdlionfan
05-08-2009, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by Antec
What city is Kroger Store in?

Kroger is in Brownwood. Early doesn't have a grocery store or a Whataburger.

injuredinmelee
05-08-2009, 10:39 PM
abilene news stations reporting power out to 90% of town. high winds. possible tornado north east of Early. prayers for our posters there.

trojan37
05-08-2009, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
abilene news stations reporting power out to 90% of town. high winds. possible tornado north east of Early. prayers for our posters there.

There are confirmed reports of a tornado by storm spotters in the town of Early tonight. I saw the report on the Storm Prediction Center website.

trojan37
05-08-2009, 10:50 PM
Civil Emergeny Message-City of Brownwood (http://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx.php?warnzone=TXZ140&warncounty=TXC049&firewxzone=TXZ140&local_place1=5+Miles+SW+Brownwood+TX&product1=Civil+Emergency+Message)

bwdlionfan
05-08-2009, 11:05 PM
Abilene Reporter News says the city of Brownwood has run out of barricades to close flooded streets, and that the worst damage is in downtown Brownwood.

Coleman and and Brady fire departments have sent help. Small fires around the town due to power lines being down.

Looking4number8
05-08-2009, 11:17 PM

Coleman and and Brady fire departments have sent help. Small fires around the town due to power lines being down.

Brady needs to keep theirs, the storm is headed their way, actually should be there by now.

bwdlionfan
05-08-2009, 11:21 PM
That was hearsay.... not sure if it was true or not... but yea I kinda thought the same thing about Brady sending help.

Looking4number8
05-08-2009, 11:31 PM
I just copied and pasted the below statement off a friends facebook page.. Good gal so i assume it is true

<<<>>>>

Whole garden center tent is in shreds across parking lot, Roof in the tire and lube center is caved in - Walmart currently undergoing remodel will now be undergoing reconstruction! Also Family Dollar next to kroger not in good shape. Not sure other damage in town yet.

bwdlionfan
05-08-2009, 11:43 PM
Wow... I'm interested to hear what the NWS says when they come tour the damage

GrTigers6
05-08-2009, 11:47 PM
Any reports of damage in the Owens area. My parents live there and cant reach them on house or cell phone.

bwdlionfan
05-08-2009, 11:48 PM
Haven't heard anything... I know the storm went on a path from May to Bwood so I'm sure they got some hail and some wind. I don't think there was ever a tornado threat there though. I hope everyone is alright.

Looking4number8
05-08-2009, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by GrTigers6
Any reports of damage in the Owens area. My parents live there and cant reach them on house or cell phone.

I have not heard anything specific about Owens but it is just NW of Early and a tornado was spotted just outside of Early. The good news, no.. great news is the radio also has not reported any injuries due to the storm. Just lots of damage

trojan37
05-08-2009, 11:51 PM
Don't know where that town is but I found this report from the Storm Prediction Center also.

0235 UNK 5 ENE BRADY MCCULLOCH TX 3117 9927 PART OF ROOF BLOWN OFF OF RESIDENCE. (SJT)

bwdlionfan
05-08-2009, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by Looking4number8
I have not heard anything specific about Owens but it is just NW of Early and a tornado was spotted just outside of Early. The good news, no.. great news is the radio also has not reported any injuries due to the storm. Just lots of damage

Here's hoping to no injuries. Businesses and houses can be rebuilt.

GrTigers6
05-08-2009, 11:52 PM
Thanks I'm gonna keep trying.

bwdlionfan
05-08-2009, 11:58 PM
Thanks I'm gonna keep trying

They may still be without power which would affect their home phone if they use cordless phones. As for the cell phone... I was having trouble off and on getting ahold of my family members in Bwood earlier... the towers may be overloaded or damaged. I don't think reception is that great in Owens either, but I hope you get them soon.

GrTigers6
05-09-2009, 12:00 AM
I finally got them on the home phone. They said that it sounded like the tornado started out there. But other than golfball hail and tree limbs down everything else was ok. Oh and there power was in and out but back on now.

garciap77
05-09-2009, 12:02 AM
Hope everyone in BW is safe!

bwdlionfan
05-09-2009, 12:40 AM
I finally got them on the home phone. They said that it sounded like the tornado started out there. But other than golfball hail and tree limbs down everything else was ok. Oh and there power was in and out but back on now.

I'm glad to know they're safe.

95mustang
05-09-2009, 01:36 AM
Okay most of the Electricity is back on and the emergency repsonses have slowed enough where I can type again. There was a significant amount of damage to many areas in the county. Ithas been reported and confirmed that there were actually 2 tornadoes touch down in the county. This can help explain the many wind direction changes. Kroger did sustain a significant amount of damage as the Walmart. There was a shelter opened that has since been closed once the electricity got restored to the city. The good news out of the whole thing is no major injuries. I have to commend the Brownwood Fire Department for handling the situation the way they did. I know we added 2 additional Ambulances to the streets plus had a mutual aid Ambulance from Brady. We have since deactivated the 2 extra EMS units and are back to normal staffing levels and I get to go home for the night.

bwdlionfan
05-09-2009, 12:17 PM
Kroger and Wal-Mart were both closed for some time but Kroger has reopened now. I'm assuming Wal-Mart has as well. The Family Dollar that shares the building with Kroger isn't expected to reopen today it had worse damage. Docks at Lake Brownwood are floating around the lake loose, Wendys and Kroger both lost their signs. Brownwood airport had sustained winds of 69mph, not sure what the gusts were.

garciap77
05-09-2009, 01:21 PM
Is the Whataburger still open?

bwdlionfan
05-09-2009, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
Is the Whataburger still open?

As far as I know it is, and it's still in Brownwood. I know you were hoping the tornado might pick it up and drop it across the Bayou in Early.

Trashman
05-09-2009, 03:53 PM
Bad storm, been out most of the night and just got back to the office. Looks like walmarts 2.5 million renovation just hit 3 million. Winds on the south side of town were clocked at 82 MPH at 8:30 PM last night. Gonna go home and go to bed for a while. My boss said that we might get another round tonight.:tongue:

garciap77
05-09-2009, 11:27 PM
As far as I know it is, and it's still in Brownwood. I know you were hoping the tornado might pick it up and drop it across the Bayou in Early.

Great! What would I do without them rumors!:D

Who said it was in Early?;)