PDA

View Full Version : I have an idea about Highschoolers going into the NFL

PPHSfan
02-22-2004, 08:29 PM
With Clarrett(sp) winning his lawsuit,and opening the door for Highschool students to go straight into the NFL draft, what would yall think about this idea?

A player could anounce his intention to enter the draft as a Senior in highschool but it would not effect his NCAA eligibility. The NCAA could change the rule along with the NFL, and an NFL team could draft a player right out of highscool. However, once drafted the NFL team would be responsible for funding the players education (like they do in MLB) and the player would be responsible for going to training camp, as well as any other team related Summer activities, and he could be paid a "revised league minimum" until which time he actually started as a pro. His "starting salary" could be negotiated into his contract before he signed with them team, and now the NFL could "speculate" on an individuals talent, while still allowing him to get an education.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
02-22-2004, 09:28 PM
I don't know, but I think an 18 year old kid getting hit by Warren Sapp, Ray Lewis, or Roy Williams would open his eyes a bit and show that he doesn't belong in the NFL.

PPHSfan
02-22-2004, 10:07 PM
BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END:
I don't know, but I think an 18 year old kid getting hit by Warren Sapp, Ray Lewis, or Roy Williams would open his eyes a bit and show that he doesn't belong in the NFL.Did you even read my idea? :D

Old Tiger
02-22-2004, 10:19 PM
PPHSfan:

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END:
I don't know, but I think an 18 year old kid getting hit by Warren Sapp, Ray Lewis, or Roy Williams would open his eyes a bit and show that he doesn't belong in the NFL.Did you even read my idea? :D lol

sinton66
02-22-2004, 10:21 PM
Do you think the NCAA might see this as an "unfair" advantage over the schools that don't have any of these draftees? They would be getting summer conditioning and training in the pros and playing college ball during the season if I'm understanding your idea correctly. If I have, I think the NCAA might have a problem with that.

<small>[ February 22, 2004, 09:23 PM: Message edited by: sinton66 ]</small>

PPHSfan
02-22-2004, 10:42 PM
sinton66:
Do you think the NCAA might see this as an "unfair" advantage over the schools that don't have any of these draftees? They would be getting summer conditioning and training in the pros and playing college ball during the season if I'm understanding your idea correctly. If I have, I think the NCAA might have a problem with that.I didn't say my idea was perfect. However the NCAA does not seem to have a problem with kids like Cedric Benson getting Pro Spring Training with the LA Dodgers baseball team. I realize that he does not play college baseball, but he is also getting his education paid for, which allows the Longhorns to give his scholarship to another player. This idea could open the door for more scholarships in D1. It ain't perfect, but it is at least an idea to think about.

sinton66
02-22-2004, 10:53 PM
Yes, I agree with the basic concept, but I think the UIL would receive a bunch of complaints from the other schools if it happens. Some of the "other" schools might be able to afford hiring pro coaches/trainers to help their kids keep pace, and would push for that approval. Some wouldn't be able to afford it. That's where they would have a problem, I think. If the athelete in question wasn't allowed to participate in college competitions, it might work, but then they really need that college experience to take the next step in most cases.
In the old days, they would put people on the field with no college football experience. Bob Hayes was a track star. Mel Renfro was a roundballer, I think, and so forth. There's just too much talent available coming out of college these days to do that anymore.

<small>[ February 22, 2004, 09:55 PM: Message edited by: sinton66 ]</small>

PPHSfan
02-22-2004, 10:58 PM
Yea Buddy,

But those "other" schools have been hiring Pro Coaches for years already. As a matter of fact, there are several ex NFL coaches coaching in the college ranks right now. My idea would not allow for a student player to play a single down in the NFL until he quit playing colllege ball, but it would provide him with a free education in exchange for his talent wether it was with the college team or the NFL. The difference being the pros foot the bill for the "early rights" to the prospective athlete.

sinton66
02-22-2004, 11:55 PM
The idea certainly has merit, I agree. Wonder how many scouts your average NFL team would have to add to their staff to go watch, say, the top 100 high school prospects in the nation? High schools playing an average of 15 games a year or so, and assuming no two were on the same team, it might take six or more people to see all 100 atheletes play. How much would that raise the price of an NFL ticket? (Nothing like a devil's advocate, huh?)

PPHSfan
02-23-2004, 12:03 AM
I don't see 100 highschool students going into the NFL. I am thinking maybe the top 2 or 3. But if it got out of hand, my guess is that films and college recruiting reports would act as filters.

Jacket2000
02-23-2004, 01:00 AM
I dont like it at all. I dont think the NBA or MLB should be able to draft kids outta HS anyway. This would make it much easier for the NFL to do it, therefore, I dont like it.
J2K

lepfan
02-23-2004, 01:19 AM
BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END:
I don't know, but I think an 18 year old kid getting hit by Warren Sapp, Ray Lewis, or Roy Williams would open his eyes a bit and show that he doesn't belong in the NFL.I think they may say "oh, $hit, what have I done" after one of those hits!!!

spiveyrat
02-23-2004, 07:21 AM
I think it would be a far bigger financial risk for NFL teams to draft a kid and "sponsor" him throughout college. Football is inherently a rougher sport. Lots more probablility of a career ending injury before his stint with his "sponsor" team had even begun. I think the kids who would be drafted would be few and far in-between.

St. Ivender
02-23-2004, 09:09 AM
Since the NCAA schools are tant amount to "minor leagues' for football anyway maybe they could benifit from some NFL money. Maybe the Dallas Cowboys could sponsor the regional schools (A&M UT OU etc) I see a whole new can of worms being opened with this new court ruling.

PPHSfan
02-23-2004, 09:11 AM
I think they would be few and far between as well. But I also think they will be few and far between right now with the new rule, if it holds up. My idea is not to make it easy for the NFL to "speculate", My idea is to keep the NFL from removing the elite players from the NCAA system by grabbing them early only to "farm" them for a few years.

<small>[ February 23, 2004, 08:12 AM: Message edited by: PPHSfan ]</small>

St. Ivender
02-23-2004, 09:31 AM
PPHSfan:
I think they would be few and far between as well. But I also think they will be few and far between right now with the new rule, if it holds up. My idea is not to make it easy for the NFL to "speculate", My idea is to keep the NFL from removing the elite players from the NCAA system by grabbing them early only to "farm" them for a few years.You know they'd do it if they had the chance

slpybear the bullfan
02-23-2004, 01:25 PM
Here is my $.02....

1.) Good Idea PPHSfan... I think it means that NFL teams will have different philosophies on teh HS kids... some will pay for scouts to check them out. Others won't bother.

2.) Just how many roster positions are open on a pro team? 53. Those are incredibly valuable slots on the depth chart. Each year, the coaches always have to make tough decisions and let go players they don't want to in order to get down to 53. How many pro teams are going to be able to make a decision to take an 18 year old kid and plug him into one of those slots? How many 18 year old kids will demonstrate they are mentally, physically, AND emotionally mature enough to play... and convince a coach enough to make him plug him in one of those spots?

Maybe one or two a year.

<small>[ February 23, 2004, 12:26 PM: Message edited by: slpybear the bullfan ]</small>