PDA

View Full Version : Softball rules question

crzyjournalist03
05-07-2009, 10:51 PM
Let me recreate a scenario for you and tell you that we are playing by ASA rules in a slowpitch softball league. AN umpire's ruling completely baffled me, and after a long conference with another umpire, they insisted that the correct call had been made.

Runners were on first, second and third with no out. A routine fly ball was hit between first and second. The second baseman calls the ball, and the umpire calls "Infield fly, the batter's out!" The runner at first takes off running toward second, nearly colliding with the second baseman. The second baseman then bobbles the ball and scoops it off the ground (no catch, but batter is out). At this point, the second baseman is only a few steps from first, and the runner who started on second remains standing on second and the runner that was on third remained on third. The second baseman picks up the ball and walks over to first, assuming she's just completed a double play since it was a "fly out" and the runner left the bag long before the fielder made contact with the ball. After tagging first, the second baseman throws the ball to the pitcher and the umpire immediately calls time with two runners standing on second, and awards the runner who was on first a free return to first base.

The umpire claimed that there was no force any more at first with the batter being automatically out, and that the second baseman would have had to tag the runner before the runner reached second in order to have recorded the out.

I thought that an infield fly was essentially a caught ball that was live whether or not the fielder catches it or not, although the rules don't seem as clear on it as I had thought.

First of all, I didn't think an umpire could call a play dead with two runners standing on the same base, and secondly, does a dropped ball on the infield fly rule mean that runners do not have to tag up? The pitcher would have tagged the two runners at second just to make sure we got the out, but the umpire ruled the ball was dead upon returning to the pitcher. In fact, I don't remember exactly because it was all so fast, but I believe that the pitcher did go over and tag the runner when the umpire motioned her back to first, but at that point, they had already ruled dead ball and awarded her the bag. I'm sure there are some rules gurus out there (3afan?) who could explain what should have happened in this situation. Perhaps the umpires did the correct thing by ruling the play over because the ball returned to the pitcher, but it just didn't seem right.

BwdLion_80
05-08-2009, 05:53 AM
I don't call slow pitch, but an infield fly is an infield fly. With the right situation, which you had, the batter is out if the ball if fair. The runners only have to tag up if the ball is actually caught! If the ball is dropped, the runners do not have to run since the force is off because of the IFR. One thing you could have had is, with the runner "nearly colliding" with the 2nd baseman, is interference, which would have been an immediate dead ball with the runner being called out. You would have 2 outs total with the IFR. The evidently did not happen, but I also don't see how the ump can call a dead ball with 2 runners standing on the same base! If the pitcher did go and tag either of the runners on 2nd, he would have had to tag the runner that was on 1st to get the out since 2nd base was not his/hers. Maybe the dead ball is a slow pitch ruling, but I cannot imagine it being that way. In my mind, something would have had to happen with the 2 runners standing on 2nd before any dead ball call!

3afan
05-08-2009, 06:24 AM
B80 is correct ... the ONLY thing that changes when an INF is called is that the batter is out - nothing else changes. there is no assumed catch or anything. if the ball IS caught, runners must tag up - if its not, they're free to advance at their own risk.

crzyjournalist03
05-08-2009, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
B80 is correct ... the ONLY thing that changes when an INF is called is that the batter is out - nothing else changes. there is no assumed catch or anything. if the ball IS caught, runners must tag up - if its not, they're free to advance at their own risk.

Can an umpire call a dead ball when two runners are occupying the same base?

in response to BwdLion_80, there was another play in the game where interference should have been called but wasn't. The umpire told me that he would have called interference, but no actual contact occurred because our fielder moved at the last second to avoid collision resulting in her missing the ball. He insisted that the rule was contact had to be made, but I knew he was wrong on that one.

BwdLion_80
05-08-2009, 11:48 AM
I would not say an umpire cannot call a dead ball with 2 runners on the same base, but it should never happen.

As for the interference, if the fielder changes or alters their path, because of a runner,to make a play on the ball, you can and should have interference. Contact does not have to be made to have interference.

crzyjournalist03
05-08-2009, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by BwdLion_80
I would not say an umpire cannot call a dead ball with 2 runners on the same base, but it should never happen.

As for the interference, if the fielder changes or alters their path, because of a runner,to make a play on the ball, you can and should have interference. Contact does not have to be made to have interference.

I actually thought about protesting the game on both situations (the dead ball with two runners on the same bag and subsequent "awarding" of first base and the interference non-call two innings later), but we ended up escaping both of those innings without allowing a run, so it actually didn't hurt us.

pirate4state
05-08-2009, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by BwdLion_80

Please check your private messages :)