PDA

View Full Version : Need New TV

JasperDog94
05-07-2009, 10:39 AM
My old 32" tube TV is going out (happened during the Rockets/Lakers game last night) and I need some advice on what to get. I would like a 46" or 47" LCD. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Bullaholic
05-07-2009, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
My old 32" tube TV is going out (happened during the Rockets/Lakers game last night) and I need some advice on what to get. I would like a 46" or 47" LCD. Any thoughts or suggestions?

IMO, Sony is hard to beat if you have the $$$. If not, Samsung.

STAggie
05-07-2009, 10:42 AM
Samsung is the best t.v. you can buy. The only thing to look for is Contrast Ratio. That is why the Vizio and t.v.'s of the such are cheaper is because they have really low ones. On smaller t.v.'s it is ok but with one so large you are going to want no less than 25,000:1. I would throw the extra bucks out and get the new Samsungs that are 1,000,000:1.

waterboy
05-07-2009, 11:14 AM
Personally, I prefer Sony over any of the other brands on the market. If not Sony, I would go with Samsung. There are so many choices out there that it makes it a lot harder than it used to be to pick a TV out that suits your needs. If you can afford it, I would go for a Sony LCD 1080p HDTV with at least 120Hz processing. Depending on the features you want, you can't go wrong with one that has at least those specs. Here's a website that will allow you to look at several models and prices, although the prices can be matched at several electronics stores:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=28844

The worst thing about buying a TV nowadays is the technology is growing exponentially all the time, just like computers seem to do. They have actually came out 240Hz processing on LCD TVs now.:eek: What the processing speed does is process the digital picture faster to make the motion in action sequences more seamless, instead of herky-jerky. You can definitely tell the difference side-by-side!

KngKongInDTrunk
05-07-2009, 12:02 PM
Samsung.

I have a phillips 42" with Dish in the living room. It rocks! Great price at Sams club A Toshiba 27'', nice. But I have a flat screen Samsung that still holds its own after 10 years! Very dependable.

BreckTxLonghorn
05-07-2009, 12:28 PM
To me, I have never seen a better picture than Samsung. Considering the price, it's the best bang for the buck by far.

SintonFan
05-07-2009, 12:50 PM
Costco is a good place to go for LCD TVs.

westtxfballfan
05-07-2009, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by KngKongInDTrunk
Samsung.

I have a phillips 42" with Dish in the living room. It rocks! Great price at Sams club A Toshiba 27'', nice. But I have a flat screen Samsung that still holds its own after 10 years! Very dependable.

Ditto on Samsung. That's what I intended to buy last year as well, but couldn't pass up the price on a 50" (or 52"?) Phillips at Sam's Club. Very happy with the Phillips as well. Was told to go with LCD instead of plasma, too.

Looking4number8
05-07-2009, 04:54 PM
If you are getting a flat screen, make sure you know the difference between a "i" and a "p". I cant remember if mine is a 1080i or a 1080p, but which ever it is, it is the wrong one and I feel like I paid extra money for nothing! My TV is nice but does not have that "awesome looking picture"

waterboy
05-07-2009, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Looking4number8
If you are getting a flat screen, make sure you know the difference between a "i" and a "p". I cant remember if mine is a 1080i or a 1080p, but which ever it is, it is the wrong one and I feel like I paid extra money for nothing! My TV is nice but does not have that "awesome looking picture"
You probably have the 1080i. The 1080p is the best format. I'd definitely spend a little more for the 1080p, as opposed to the 720p or 1080i TVs. It'll definitely be worth it.

Txbroadcaster
05-07-2009, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Looking4number8

ehh that is misleading..forst off 1080I is not terrible..second 99% of all TV broadcasts are not broadcasting in 1080P( for the most part most are not even broadcasting in 1080I)

Only Blue Ray DVDs broadcast in pure 1080p

Antec
05-07-2009, 06:02 PM
We have a 52 inch Samsung in our larger living room.

We got two years ago and love it

HD picture is sharp and clear and we have surround sound

Wife has 32 inch Samsung in the bedroom she watches

I just have a regular Panasonic flat screen TV with tube in my office and computer room.

Samsung is the way to go in my opinion and we did buy extended five year warranty just in case

we also go surge protector and all in one remote control which is good for VCR, DVD Playerm Home Theatre and TV

We invested a lot but was worth it

TMer25
05-07-2009, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
ehh that is misleading..forst off 1080I is not terrible..second 99% of all TV broadcasts are not broadcasting in 1080P( for the most part most are not even broadcasting in 1080I)

Only Blue Ray DVDs broadcast in pure 1080p

Most intelligent post in this discussion so far.

There are so many variables on this subject. No manufacturer lists true contrast ratio. A 720p set is suitable for many situations. 240hz and 120hz processing is handled poorly by most sets so you can't go off of that. LCD's usually have too much green in the picture and most plasma sets don't have the capability to do a true white.

TMer25
05-07-2009, 06:57 PM

How close will you be to the screen and how much light do you have in the room?

Txbroadcaster
05-07-2009, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by TMer25
Most intelligent post in this discussion so far.

There are so many variables on this subject. No manufacturer lists true contrast ratio. A 720p set is suitable for many situations. 240hz and 120hz processing is handled poorly by most sets so you can't go off of that. LCD's usually have too much green in the picture and most plasma sets don't have the capability to do a true white.

I still prefer DLP to LCD or Plasma

JasperDog94
05-07-2009, 09:03 PM
How close will you be to the screen and how much light do you have in the room? It's a fairly small room (living room) but there is quite a bit of natural light.

This is what I'm thinking of going with when it comes out in June.

link (http://www.youreviewelectronics.com/reviews/lcd-tv-reviews/vizio-vf551xvt-review/)

I saw the 550 in Sams today and it looked pretty awesome.

TMer25
05-07-2009, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I still prefer DLP to LCD or Plasma

I definitely prefer DLP to LCD and most Plasma's. I do prefer the Pioneer Kuros to any display out right now. My 151 displays an extremely accurate picture and the ones i've calibrated have been no different.

mustang04
05-07-2009, 10:31 PM
I got a 42 inch LCD flat screen 1080p HD Toshiba REGZA and looooove it....oh and GET the best Monster brand cable they have if you have like an HD dvd player or HD xbox or PS3...it makes the sound and picture that much better i promise!!

TMer25
05-07-2009, 10:35 PM
It's a fairly small room (living room) but there is quite a bit of natural light.

This is what I'm thinking of going with when it comes out in June.

link (http://www.youreviewelectronics.com/reviews/lcd-tv-reviews/vizio-vf551xvt-review/)

I saw the 550 in Sams today and it looked pretty awesome.

There is a very good chance that the new Vizio's won't be showing up in till late July at the earliest. June is still the target date but looks less and less likely. Take a look at the Samsung 630 line.

Also, don't buy the best Monster Cable. Digital bits are digital bits regardless of what cable is transporting them. Unless you are using a very very long HDMI cable run, there is no point in using any of the boutique cable brands.

mustang04
05-07-2009, 10:39 PM
There is a very good chance that the new Vizio's won't be showing up in till late July at the earliest. June is still the target date but looks less and less likely. Take a look at the Samsung 630 line.

Also, don't buy the best Monster Cable. Digital bits are digital bits regardless of what cable is transporting them. Unless you are using a very very long HDMI cable run, there is no point in using any of the boutique cable brands.

monster has better warranty and stuff etc...i got the cheaper brand originally....i'm glad i use monster now

TMer25
05-07-2009, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by mustang04
monster has better warranty and stuff etc...i got the cheaper brand originally....i'm glad i use monster now

My Ram Electronics cable looks just as good the $200 M Series cable that Monster sent me trying to get me to use their cables for installs.

mustang04
05-07-2009, 10:56 PM
My Ram Electronics cable looks just as good the $200 M Series cable that Monster sent me trying to get me to use their cables for installs.

wow...mine wasnt that much...but i only got like a 3 foot one...i cant even remember what speed it is but its the fastest they had at bestbuy...idk lol