Ranger Mom
05-07-2009, 09:21 AM
Do any of yall have one??

Are they any good?

Worth the money??

If so...who do you suggest?

crzyjournalist03
05-07-2009, 10:20 AM
What time of home service are you talking about?

Telephone?
Internet?
Television?
Yardwork?
Brothels?

Reds fan
05-07-2009, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Do any of yall have one??

Are they any good?

Worth the money??

If so...who do you suggest?

Are you asking about a home warranty coverage?

If so Allied Home Warranty is one of the better products out there.

Worth the money? if your home is over 10 years old the answer is probably yes.

Ranger Mom
05-07-2009, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Reds fan
Are you asking about a home warranty coverage?

If so Allied Home Warranty is one of the better products out there.

Worth the money? if your home is over 10 years old the answer is probably yes.

I guess!

It is a monthly payment that supposedly covers your appliances, A/C unit, etc. in case they break down.

Reds fan
05-07-2009, 11:25 AM
I guess!

It is a monthly payment that supposedly covers your appliances, A/C unit, etc. in case they break down.

OK, things to consider:

Annual cost of most home warranty products is $350 to $550.

Some cover more than others, get specifics.

Check the deductible amount for covered items.

Check on what service providers they will contract to work on your home, this is key because if you have a favorite service company, like A/C service provider, they may not compensate for that company.

Some extras that can be added are coverage for swimmimg pool, water well and septic systems.

Hope this helps.

crzyjournalist03
05-07-2009, 11:30 AM
I avoid paying insurance unless I'm required to. I'd rather shell out $1000-2000 when needed as opposed to paying thousands over the years for something that I may never use.

Ranger Mom
05-07-2009, 11:41 AM
The reason I asked was because I got something from my mortgage company and the service is $31.95 a month!

There is supposedly a risk free 30 days period where you can look over all the "paperwork" and I can cancel in that 30 day period.

My parents have something similar and my mom thinks it's well worth the money. My home is 17 years old....the only appliance we have replaced is the dishwasher, washer and dryer and that was several years ago.

Reds fan
05-07-2009, 11:48 AM
The reason I asked was because I got something from my mortgage company and the service is $31.95 a month!

There is supposedly a risk free 30 days period where you can look over all the "paperwork" and I can cancel in that 30 day period.

My parents have something similar and my mom thinks it's well worth the money. My home is 17 years old....the only appliance we have replaced is the dishwasher, washer and dryer and that was several years ago.

Here are some websites for comparison:
www.AlliedWarranty.com
www.NationWideHomeWarranty.com
www.orhp.com
www.ahswarranty.com

Reds fan
05-07-2009, 11:51 AM
One other thing I would keep in mind, most appliances are relatively inexpensive to replace.

The big stuff is A/C and heating units, that is where these policies can be the of the most value.

waterboy
05-07-2009, 12:05 PM

There are several questions to ask about the coverage.
1) What items are covered by this insurance?
2) What types of coverage: mechanical, electrical, natural disasters, regular preventive maintenance, etc.?
3) What would constitute non-coverage?
4) What is the deductible?
5) What is the amount of coverage in dollars?
6) What service companies will use this insurance coverage, and will they provide a vendor list in your area?
7) Who has to file the paperwork for the coverage, you or the vendor (service company)?
8) Will you have to pay for the service and be reimbursed, or is the service performed up front free of charge?
9) Do they have a 24-hour toll-free number if the need arises?
10) Will the rates go up? Sometimes these insurance carriers will entice you with an introductory offer that is only good for 1 year or less.

***Remember to read the FINE PRINT on any insurance plan!***

These are just a few questions to ask before making a decision. Will it be worth it at $383.40 per year? If you don't use this service for 5 years, and decide against continuing the coverage, you will be out $1917. That's a lot of money, and mark my words, if you decide to cancel the insurance somewhere down the road, that money is lost forever, plus, it never fails that as soon as you drop your coverage something will break down! That money alone would pay for just about any appliance in your house.