PDA

View Full Version : Home invasions (PC term and all) what would you do if you were home and armed?

SintonFan
05-06-2009, 09:52 PM
This has been a bad week for my area. Two home invasions across the street(and a little down the road) from me in the last couple of days(one involving burglars forcefully tying up a neighbor, throwing her in the bathtub, and ransacking her residence). I am now trying to get working back home asap.
My question(s) to you here on the low is this...
If you are armed and discover someone trying to enter your house, in your house or even on your property trying to take something of yours... what would you do?
I know some here might say they would shoot immediately, but have you thought that through? I have recently. I know what I am capable of doing in self-defense for my family. Lots of scenarios thought of in the process.
What would you do if you weren't armed?
:confused: :confused: :confused:
Any response is appreciated...

rockdale80
05-06-2009, 09:54 PM
Whatever it takes to protect what is important to me. They can leave dead or alive, but they are going to get a fight for sure.

Bullaholic
05-06-2009, 09:57 PM
I would never shoot to kill anyone intentionally, but I would do anything necessary to protect my family---including giving my life.

SintonFan
05-06-2009, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
I would shoot to kill...with a smile. Id even shoot if I saw someone doing it to someone else. I'd call it a "public service killing".
I have permission from everyone around me to defend their property with deadly force. I have taken on that huge burden whole-heartedly.
But, the more I live my life, the more I realize just how precious life is. Hence the scenarios I now conceive for myself where I live.
BTW, my wife is sleeping with a loaded pistol on her nightstand tonight. I seriously wonder if she can do what needs to be done. I do know we are going to the gun range this weekend to sharpen up all our skills.

Bullaholic
05-06-2009, 10:09 PM
I would shoot to kill...with a smile. Id even shoot if I saw someone doing it to someone else. I'd call it a "public service killing".

Ernest, I just have to believe you would feel differently if you ever saw maybe a 17-20 year old kid lying dead after having been shot in the chest with a large caliber hollow-point. Again, I'll never argue the right of a man to protect his home and family, but I could not ever condone the deliberate taking of life unless there was no other choice. IMO, I don't think the average individual would be smiling after killing someone.

ASUFrisbeeStud
05-06-2009, 10:10 PM
I am armed and prepared to defend my family by whatever means necessary. If someone broke into my home I would have no problem putting two in their chest and I am capable of doing it. That's why we go to the range at least once a month, I go more but I make my wife go at least that often. To answer the "what if you aren't armed question" well that won't happen, at least I hope I'm not ever in a situation that would allow that to happen.

carter08
05-06-2009, 10:16 PM
Im probably a little jaded by my life's experiences, but Id revel at the chance to take out some human garbage. I came to the conclusion when I worked at a state prison that a theif is the lowest form of life. Id rather be around a murderer any day than a damned theif.

come on.

a desperate 17 year old who's been driven to steal because he feels he has no other choice (expecting to be insulted for my choice of words there) versus someone who willingly took another human beings life?

you can survive if someone steals your tv and jewelery. you can file insurance claims on the stuff and maybe get some compensation.

you cannot survive if you are dead.

rockdale80
05-06-2009, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by carter08
come on.

a desperate 17 year old who's been driven to steal because he feels he has no other choice (expecting to be insulted for my choice of words there) versus someone who willingly took another human beings life?

you can survive if someone steals your tv and jewelery. you can file insurance claims on the stuff and maybe get some compensation.

you cannot survive if you are dead.

Dont break into someone else's house and you wont have to worry about it. Homeless people survive with nothing. There is no such thing as "no other choice". There is always a choice. One is right and one is wrong. I know what my choice would be if someone broke into my home and its within arms reach of my bed.

carter08
05-06-2009, 10:24 PM
Yes, I can survive without my TV, but so can a theif. No one is forced to do anything. A theif has made the conscience decision to break into a home/vehicle/business/etc... and steal possessions that someone else worked for. Anyone who can do that and feel they are justified, in my opinion, should die a slow and painfull death.

and a murderer has made a conscious decision to take someone's life!

i am not defending stealing at all. i am just questioning how you can find thieves to be worse than murderers.

lowest form of life? does that mean you value a rapist more than a thief?

Texas Cougar
05-06-2009, 10:25 PM
Someone came into to my home while I was out of town. Tied up my wife and stole jewerly and money. You can not tell me a thief deserves respect with no repercussions. Come see me tonight.

rockdale80
05-06-2009, 10:27 PM
and a murderer has made a conscious decision to take someone's life!

i am not defending stealing at all. i am just questioning how you can find thieves to be worse than murderers.

lowest form of life? does that mean you value a rapist more than a thief?

There is a difference between murder and defending your property. I am sure you can differentiate.

carter08
05-06-2009, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by rockdale80
There is a difference between murder and defending your property. I am sure you can differentiate.

no no no no no

i am referring to etb saying he would rather hang around murderers than thiefs. i am talking hardcore murderers here. like, killing homeless people for fun (as someone recently did at UH). not someone defending themselves.

i do not see how a thief is worse than a real cold blooded killer.

rockdale80
05-06-2009, 10:30 PM
no no no no no

i am referring to etb saying he would rather hang around murderers than thiefs. i am talking hardcore murderers here. like, killing homeless people for fun (as someone recently did at UH). not someone defending themselves.

i do not see how a thief is worse than a real cold blooded killer.

oh. gotcha

SintonFan
05-06-2009, 10:35 PM
come on.

Carter...
their still is the issue of defending ones property. What are your views on THAT(the topic here and now)? Armed or otherwise...
*Non-insulting of your choice of words*

sinton66
05-06-2009, 10:36 PM
If I'm home when they break in, they would get one and only one chance to lay spread eagle on the floor while I call the cops. If they refuse, the hole left by my 12 ga. shotgun loaded with 3 inch magnum triple ought buckshot is quite LARGE.

SintonFan
05-06-2009, 10:41 PM
That is the scenario I have thought of many times, 66. We are out of 12 ga. ammo. Are local Wally-world has been understocked recently.
Any tips for getting some of that buckshot(or any ammo) now? Heck, I'm gonna go shopping for a new 12 ga. shotgun.

sinton66
05-06-2009, 10:43 PM
Academy carries it. The buckshot comes five in a box.

Emerson1
05-06-2009, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
That is the scenario I have thought of many times, 66. We are out of 12 ga. ammo. Are local Wally-world has been understocked recently.
Any tips for getting some of that buckshot(or any ammo) now? Heck, I'm gonna go shopping for a new 12 ga. shotgun.
I was reading an article the other day about ammo being low on supply. In some areas it's impossible to get certain popular types.

carter08
05-06-2009, 10:53 PM
Carter...
their still is the issue of defending ones property. What are your views on THAT(the topic here and now)? Armed or otherwise...
*Non-insulting of your choice of words*

shoot to wound.

i thinking taking another persons life should not be an option, but if they break in and you have a gun and they don't get out, you should be able to inflict enough pain on them to render them defenseless until the cops come.

now, if they shoot first and hurt someone, different story. i understand the use of deadly force there.

sinton66
05-06-2009, 11:01 PM
shoot to wound.

i thinking taking another persons life should not be an option, but if they break in and you have a gun and they don't get out, you should be able to inflict enough pain on them to render them defenseless until the cops come.

now, if they shoot first and hurt someone, different story. i understand the use of deadly force there.

If they have a gun, they don't GET to shoot first. They don't get a chance to lay on the floor, they get dead. Why wait until they harm one of your family members?

carter08
05-06-2009, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
If they have a gun, they don't GET to shoot first. They don't get a chance to lay on the floor, they get dead. Why wait until they harm one of your family members?

shoot em in the balls and call the cops.

if they have a gun, i can see the point in shooting first and asking questions later, though i disagree with killing them unless you know you are in danger.

if they don't have a gun though, don't kill them. shoot them and take thier knife or something.

sinton66
05-06-2009, 11:21 PM

With the twelve ga. described above, no matter where they're hit, there will be a hole about eight inches in diameter. Not many will live through that

SintonFan
05-06-2009, 11:28 PM

if they have a gun, i can see the point in shooting first and asking questions later, though i disagree with killing them unless you know you are in danger.

if they don't have a gun though, don't kill them. shoot them and take thier knife or something.
I respect your opinion even though I don't know how "shoot them in the balls" can be accomplished at night or anytime easily. Real life is not Halo, Unreal, Special ops, Tactical ops, Battlefield 2 Special Forces or any video game.
Carter since you don't own a gun(my guess), what would you do if you were un-armed? I truly want your opinion and those from your generation.

SintonFan
05-06-2009, 11:33 PM
Yes, ammo has been hard to find and has risen in price by over 400% since November of 2008.
Carter, a murderer is, by definition, someone who has intentionally taken the life of another human being. You have used a slippery slope fallacy and assumed that if someone is a murderer, they are also a psychopath.
After spending 2 years with both murderers and theives, even in prison, murderers tend to live and act with more honor. There is no redemption for theives.
Oh, and I agree, shoot to wound...first...then when you're done having fun, shoot to kill.
Thanks for the tip and clarification. I have met a few thieves like what I think you are talking about and have noticed they tend to be "tweakers" "druggies" or wanting to find something to sell right away. No matter the cost. They tend to be very self-absorbed and don't care about those they might hurt. Heck they didn't even seem to care about themselves.

SintonFan
05-06-2009, 11:50 PM
No, I dont mean the drug addicts. Im talking about the character of the "people". The theives Ive met, either in prison or at school, we're just sorry excuses for human beings.
:doh:
I was sharing my experience but I take your word for what it is.:nerd:
Thanks.:)

Old Green
05-06-2009, 11:50 PM
In December 1978 I had the misfortune to shoot an attempted rapist who broke into my parents house. He had already raped one lady and attempted to rape another. He had numerous break in attempts in a period of a month. I didn't kill him . He recieved 35 years in prison. I5 years later is out and rapes another woman.

SintonFan
05-06-2009, 11:53 PM
Powerful stuff!:eek: :thinking: :thinking:

carter08
05-06-2009, 11:59 PM
still...

can you call a rapist better than a thief? honestly?

if you can, i do not think i will trust anything else you ever say.

carter08
05-07-2009, 12:02 AM
I respect your opinion even though I don't know how "shoot them in the balls" can be accomplished at night or anytime easily. Real life is not Halo, Unreal, Special ops, Tactical ops, Battlefield 2 Special Forces or any video game.
Carter since you don't own a gun(my guess), what would you do if you were un-armed? I truly want your opinion and those from your generation.

hide?

right now, i live with some friends, so if someone broke in and came in my room, i have 2 friends in the room across the hall and a roommate. the 4 of us could subdue him, regardless of us being unarmed.

if i lived on my own, i would probably borrow a small caliber pistol from my father to be on the safe side.

SintonFan
05-07-2009, 12:04 AM
hide?

right now, i live with some friends, so if someone broke in and came in my room, i have 2 friends in the room across the hall and a roommate. the 4 of us could subdue him, regardless of us being unarmed.

if i lived on my own, i would probably borrow a small caliber pistol from my father to be on the safe side.
Thank you. I hope we all agree to clarity over opinions for this issue at least.:nerd:

PPHSfan
05-07-2009, 05:35 AM
I shot the first guy who broke into my house back in 1983 in the kneecap. He settled with my homeowners insurance for more money than I have made since then. The next guy gets it between the eyes.:hand:

sinton66
05-07-2009, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
I shot the first guy who broke into my house back in 1983 in the kneecap. He settled with my homeowners insurance for more money than I have made since then. The next guy gets it between the eyes.:hand:

Dead men can't sue. They can't testify against you in court either.

Pick6
05-07-2009, 07:52 AM

My grandfather passed away in 1993. A few weeks after he passed away a friend of mine saw a flashlight on in my grandmothers home at about 1am. He took his gun and went over there to see what was happening. Turns out that my little cousin was spending the night and was using the flashlight to get to the bathroom. I would of done the same thing if I saw a neighbors house getting broke in to. Stealing should be a death penalty crime.

garciap77
05-07-2009, 08:11 AM
Never shot to wound. That will get you killed. Shooting someone is not like target practice at the range. You would be surpriced on how hard it is to shoot and hit a live person at close range. If you are going to shoot you better be ready to shoot to kill!

Bullaholic
05-07-2009, 09:03 AM
Let me clarify my position. I am neither a pacifist nor a bleeding heart, I just beleive in the sancitity of human life and the that the taking of it should be avoided at all costs unless there is no other option. If someone is killed while attempting forceible entry or the commission of a violent act as a consequnce of that act---it is unfortunate, but justifiable. Anyone who wants to take the life of another just because they can, I do not understand. This is the position of most of the combat veterans who have killed in combat that I have talked to---if they will even talk about it.

PPSTATEBOUND
05-07-2009, 09:07 AM
This has been a bad week for my area. Two home invasions across the street(and a little down the road) from me in the last couple of days(one involving burglars forcefully tying up a neighbor, throwing her in the bathtub, and ransacking her residence). I am now trying to get working back home asap.
My question(s) to you here on the low is this...
If you are armed and discover someone trying to enter your house, in your house or even on your property trying to take something of yours... what would you do?
I know some here might say they would shoot immediately, but have you thought that through? I have recently. I know what I am capable of doing in self-defense for my family. Lots of scenarios thought of in the process.
What would you do if you weren't armed?
:confused: :confused: :confused:
Any response is appreciated...

I dont own a weapon and live in a rural area between PP and Celina...This happend to me.......

I am very lighty sleeper, I heard my Wife getting up to use the bathroom about 2am one night it was pouring rain outside.....I have a tool box full of tools under a carport......As I woke up I noticed the security light come on and then a shadow walk by my bedroom window onto the other side of the house where the carport is...I said to myself *** and H$lly Molly...Got out of bed......walked to the end of the house turned on the carport light and low and behold found myself two feet away looking thru a window at a harley biker looking dude going thru my tool box......He stayed there frozen, he knew the light was on and that he had been spotted.....I banged on the window a bit and he just stood there like a statue...I was thinking *** am I gonna do, no weapons besides kitchen knives........:eek: I was kinda freakin...but knew I had to do something....I went into the laundrey room opened the carport door, he turned and looked, thats when I I let out a yell that would have startled Bigfoot......He freaked totally out, took off thru my backyard jumping two livestock fences......we called the cops and never saw this character again......quite weird, but thats how I handled a snooper/intruder with no weapon at all.:D.......

I now own a AK-47:clap:

Reds fan
05-07-2009, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by garciap77
Never shot to wound. That will get you killed. Shooting someone is not like target practice at the range. You would be surpriced on how hard it is to shoot and hit a live person at close range. If you are going to shoot you better be ready to shoot to kill!

:iagree: Absolutely

Farmersfan
05-07-2009, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Ernest, I just have to believe you would feel differently if you ever saw maybe a 17-20 year old kid lying dead after having been shot in the chest with a large caliber hollow-point. Again, I'll never argue the right of a man to protect his home and family, but I could not ever condone the deliberate taking of life unless there was no other choice. IMO, I don't think the average individual would be smiling after killing someone.

I could see the difficulty in dealing with being the cause of this death but I chose to look at it more as a forfieting of life by the young man lying dead than the taking of a life by me. I think our whole society needs to start thinking that when a person chooses to forfeit their life by doing some of the things they do it is not reguired for society to go out of our way to attempt to save or restore that life. I wholeheartedly believe your life is very, very important until you choose to threaten mine or my families and then yours becomes expendable. The key word there is "CHOOSE"! I would risk my life to save an innocent stranger but a person who chooses to put their life at risk is on their own. Sorry, but thats just the way I feel.

Farmersfan
05-07-2009, 09:24 AM

It seems you think protecting the life of these young men who decided to break into our houses is OUR responsibilty. They forfieted any right to life when they broke in. No discussion! No attempts for rehab! No drain on societies coffers! Just plain and simple DEAD is the best rememdy.

scrub c
05-07-2009, 09:49 AM
So, was the original question.... What would you do if you were home and armed?

PPSTATEBOUND knows because of experience...

Nobody else truly knows the answer to that unless you have been there.... Thankfully I have not and hopefully I wont be put in that situation. I too live in a rural area (on about a hundred acres) and I think it would go down like this... I would show them the 4 pounder and say get lost and all is forgiven, if they turned/showed any violence, I know for a fact I would do everything necessary (I mean any and everything) to protect my family.

oh yeah, has anybody tried to buy ammo for your handgun lately????