PDA

View Full Version : overrated??

coach
05-06-2009, 09:31 PM
what is the most overrated thing in life?

carter08
05-06-2009, 09:38 PM
it all depends on the control you use.

i can say that drug use is overrated while the person next to me can while heartedly agree that drug use is a wonderful thing. they in turn can hate books, while i believe that words are meaningful and powerful.

that being said, to me nothing is more overrated than dallas cowboys. of course, someone will argue against me by saying the texans suck, to which i state that the texans have only had one season where they did not either improve or stay equal to their record from the previous season.

i am making this reply long because i do not want to write my british lit paper.

Pick6
05-06-2009, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by coach

Carter08's thoughts

Bullaholic
05-06-2009, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by carter08
it all depends on the control you use.

i can say that drug use is overrated while the person next to me can while heartedly agree that drug use is a wonderful thing. they in turn can hate books, while i believe that words are meaningful and powerful.

that being said, to me nothing is more overrated than dallas cowboys. of course, someone will argue against me by saying the texans suck, to which i state that the texans have only had one season where they did not either improve or stay equal to their record from the previous season.

i am making this reply long because i do not want to write my british lit paper.

Perhaps the Cowboys have been a little overrated in recent years, but their legacy will never be. When someone says "art masterpiece", invaribly someone says "Mona Lisa". When someone says "pro football", invaribly someone says "Dallas Cowboys". Comparing the Texans and Cowboys would be like comparing the Mona Lisa and an Andy Warhol work.

Bullaholic
05-06-2009, 09:53 PM
I think one of the biggest things overated in our society is celebrity stardom. Most are not worthy of our admiration off camera.

grahampaw
05-06-2009, 09:57 PM
District 2

rockdale80
05-06-2009, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
I think one of the biggest things overated in our society is celebrity stardom. Most are not worthy of our admiration off camera.

Amen. I do not get the fascination with other people's lives....

SintonFan
05-06-2009, 09:59 PM
I agree. I'll also add many of them don't deserve admiration even on camera(think Sean Penn).
Too many folks pay attention to stuff that doesn't directly affect them and their life. Movies, quotes from movies, TV shows and their impact should be overrated, but pop culture begs to differ. It leads to a lack of personal creativity imho.

Txbroadcaster
05-06-2009, 10:00 PM
I think the biggest overrated thing is...to overrate things..honestly

someone has success we build them up, just to turn around and try to tear them down

Emerson1
05-06-2009, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
I actually agree here 100%. Someone tell me why in the hell are Oprah, Paris Hilton, and Nicole Richey famous?
Are you serious about Oprah?

Emerson1
05-06-2009, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster

someone has success we build them up, just to turn around and try to tear them down
I don't think anyone built Paris Hilton up. She is famous for being famous.

SintonFan
05-06-2009, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I think the biggest overrated thing is...to overrate things..honestly

So you are saying we can't be honest on rating things?:eek: :p

carter08
05-06-2009, 10:12 PM
Perhaps the Cowboys have been a little overrated in recent years, but their legacy will never be. When someone says "art masterpiece", invaribly someone says "Mona Lisa". When someone says "pro football", invaribly someone says "Dallas Cowboys". Comparing the Texans and Cowboys would be like comparing the Mona Lisa and an Andy Warhol work.

i have seen the mona lisa and i consider it overrated. i do not agree with the grandeur associated with it. i have more appreciation for the courage warhol had to experiment with the traditional boundarys of art.

wildstangs
05-06-2009, 10:12 PM
Twitter. Who cares where someone is at or what their thoughts are. Same thing with people that post on their myspace or facebook every single mood or feeling.

Disclaimer: I have a myspace account. A VERY plain myspace account that I use to communicate with a few friends from high school and college.

carter08
05-06-2009, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Pick6
Carter08's thoughts

wouldn't someone have to have a high opinion of them first?

Bullaholic
05-06-2009, 10:15 PM
i have seen the mona lisa and i consider it overrated. i do not agree with the grandeur associated with it. i have more appreciation for the courage warhol had to experiment with the traditional boundarys of art.

Warhol was a genius in his time---Da Vinci will be regarded as a genius for all of time.

carter08
05-06-2009, 10:21 PM
Warhol was a genius in his time---Da Vinci will be regarded as a genius for all of time.

i do agree there.

that said, i do not find the mona lisa to be one of his best works. to me, it was just a small painting hanging on a wall. i prefer madonna of the rocks and st. john the baptist because they have a message behind them. mona lisa is a portrait of some woman. the last supper too. da vinci's religious works are just as quality as mona and actually have a timeless message behind them.

carter08
05-06-2009, 10:22 PM
Yes, why does she have a show? She's not very smart(at least she doesn't appear to be on her show), and she's damned sure not pretty AT ALL.

Oh, Carter, I'd wager that you have a fairly high opinion of your own thoughts. You seem to think quite highly of them. ;)

my own thoughts? yes.

75% of the drivel i post on here? no.

SintonFan
05-06-2009, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Are you serious about Oprah?
Do you watch Satanic TV(Oprah)?:D :p
She didn't get me free chicken but she promoted it. The devil works by offering free things he doesn't pay for, but you do instead...
hence the offering of free chicken. :p :thinking: :D

Emerson1
05-06-2009, 10:43 PM
Chicken wings

SintonFan
05-06-2009, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Chicken wings
Drumsticks(thighs)?:D
You see... we should laugh at Satan, not encourage it.

SintonFan
05-06-2009, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by coach
secularism
environmentalism
Combine the two and you get Global Warming.:thinking:

Pick6
05-07-2009, 08:01 AM
wouldn't someone have to have a high opinion of them first?

No, even a low opinion of your thoughts are overrated.

pancho villa
05-07-2009, 08:11 AM
I tell the most overated place I have been The County Line BBQ it sucks.

PPHSfan
05-07-2009, 08:25 AM
Earning a six figure salary.

PPSTATEBOUND
05-07-2009, 08:30 AM
Rap Music
NBA basketball

:clap:

LionKing
05-07-2009, 09:37 AM
Yes, why does she have a show? She's not very smart(at least she doesn't appear to be on her show), and she's damned sure not pretty AT ALL.

Oh, Carter, I'd wager that you have a fairly high opinion of your own thoughts. You seem to think quite highly of them. ;) Ernest, I agree with you that Oprah isn't pretty, but I disagree on the smarts, she's worked her self into one of the richest people in America, she may play the dumb card on the show sometimes, but she's business off the air.

trojan37
05-07-2009, 09:51 AM
Baylor baseball.........waaaaaay overrated.

Farmersfan
05-07-2009, 09:52 AM
Autographs are overrated.
Why does "STARDOM" make a person's signature valuable? A ball with Troy Aikman's name signed on it is still..............just a ball! I understand if Aikman signs a personal message to YOU then it will be valuable to YOU but not just a random signature on a blank peice of paper. I don't understand this logic....

trojan37
05-07-2009, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
Autographs are overrated.
Why does "STARDOM" make a person's signature valuable? A ball with Troy Aikman's name signed on it is still..............just a ball! I understand if Aikman signs a personal message to YOU then it will be valuable to YOU but not just a random signature on a blank peice of paper. I don't understand this logic....

An autograph=$$$$. It could be worth money some day. My son was able to get Augie Garrido's autograph the other day. I thought it was pretty cool. Oh well, to each his own.

waterboy
05-07-2009, 10:45 AM
My list of thing that are overrated:

1) Rap music - never liked it and never will

2) Movie stars, TV stars, music stars, sports stars, etc. (This also pertains to autographs, even though some people will pay a lot of money for them) - I don't understand the fascination and swooning over these people. They are no better than any of us ordinary people. As a matter of fact, the vast majority of stars are no where near what I would consider "role model" material, let alone good people.

3) Chinese food - Health departments are constantly citing and/or shutting down these restaurants, and I never acquired a taste for the quisine.

I could think of several more....... :thinking:

carter08
05-07-2009, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Pick6
No, even a low opinion of your thoughts are overrated.

thank you.

Ranger Mom
05-07-2009, 03:15 PM

Oh, Carter, I'd wager that you have a fairly high opinion of your own thoughts. You seem to think quite highly of them. ;)

So....she is overrated because she isn't pretty??

waterboy
05-07-2009, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Oh Lordy.....here we go!!:doh:
Most of us agree, though!:thumbsup:

Electus Unus
05-07-2009, 03:22 PM
jobs

carter08
05-07-2009, 03:35 PM
:rolleyes:

Farmersfan
05-07-2009, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by trojan37
An autograph=$$$$. It could be worth money some day. My son was able to get Augie Garrido's autograph the other day. I thought it was pretty cool. Oh well, to each his own.

Some of them are very valuable. That's the overrated part. why would they be valuable? Why would anyone pay for a signature from ANYONE? If it is personalized then i could understand it. If someone you really, really admired signs something with a comment to YOU with YOUR name on it then i can see it being important to you. but a random signature?

Electus Unus
05-07-2009, 03:39 PM
No 'newly' elected president has experience to run this country. So your overrated thought on this is in fact overrated.

garciap77
05-07-2009, 03:45 PM
BobCatBenny!:D

;)

BreckTxLonghorn
05-07-2009, 04:13 PM

Oprah may not speak on the most intelligent of subjects on her show, but as a businesswoman she is a GENIUS. You don't build a multi-media billion dollar empire on luck. She knew how to bring people in, recognized her demographic, marketed to them until she got her claws in, did whatever possible to gain credibility among them, and now has gained so much trust that whatever she puts out there is immediately accepted. See: Dr. Phil, Rachel Ray, O Magazine, Oprah's picks books.

Her show may not be the best ( I personally do not care for it), but I definitely respect her success and vision in entrepreneurism.

Bullaholic
05-07-2009, 04:21 PM
Oprah doesn't want admirers---she wants worshipers. Everybody in the industry is afraid to go against Oprah on any issue because of her clout. She uses her power like a bludgeon.
And yes, I would feel the same way if Oprah was a white male. Her race or sex does not matter to me, but her imperialistic attitude and ego do. I agree that she is a very intelligent, successful businesswoman who has marketed herself with genius.

SintonFan
05-07-2009, 05:19 PM
HEY HEY HEY!!!!
Stick to the topic folks!

coach
05-07-2009, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
HEY HEY HEY!!!!
Stick to the topic folks!

thank you sintonfan

BwdLions
05-08-2009, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by Electus Unus
No 'newly' elected president has experience to run this country. So your overrated thought on this is in fact overrated.

You're overrated response is wrong too. If you don't realize it by now, you never will.