PDA

View Full Version : Do Some Parents Pick Where Their Child Will Play?

Bullaholic
05-06-2009, 11:20 AM
Do you think that some parents of talented HS athletes try to locate within a district that is a larger classification and that has an outstanding athletic program?

Do you think that some parents relocate from smaller class school districts to larger ones if they feel their child is a very talented athlete?

Do you think some parents relocate from larger school districts to smaller ones if they think their child will have a better chance of playing and stand out more?

Do you think this practice is widespread? Which do you think is more prevalent?

I think we will need to be careful on the discussion of this topic. Please give only your opinion on this topic, as discussion of actual player transfers by name and school district recruiting accusations should be avoided and would probably result in the closing of the thread.

pirate4state
05-06-2009, 11:30 AM
Yes
Maybe
Yes
Who knows?

If your kid is good, scouts will find him/her, IMO.

Emerson1
05-06-2009, 11:46 AM
Yes and I wouldn't see what the big deal is. It's the same as picking a district because it has a good academic record.

coach
05-06-2009, 11:47 AM
my sr year we had a kid moce to a 1a arkansas school bc his parents thought he could get more pt and notice there...sad thing was... you could argue this cost us a state champonship

I. B. Watching
05-06-2009, 12:02 PM
My brother did that, and it worked

garciap77
05-06-2009, 12:03 PM
Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes Larger classification that has an outstanding athletic program

Electus Unus
05-06-2009, 12:11 PM
At younger ages it is a good thing but when a child gets of age to decide what sport he/she wants to play then it should be up to them and not their parent.

Electus Unus
05-06-2009, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state

If your kid is good, scouts will find him/her, IMO. I don't think that is true. There are many kids who get overlooked.

garciap77
05-06-2009, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Electus Unus
I don't think that is true. There are many kids who get overlooked.

:iagree:

Bullaholic
05-06-2009, 12:36 PM

But how much faith do you think that parents of outstanding athletes place in this?

Pick6
05-06-2009, 12:41 PM

I agree. The good one's will be found. A lot of people think they know more than the scouts because so-and-so wasn't given a scholarship and they attended a small school. Colt McCoy was found at a small school.

garciap77
05-06-2009, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Pick6
I agree. The good one's will be found. A lot of people think they know more than the scouts because so-and-so wasn't given a scholarship and they attended a small school. Colt McCoy was found at a small school.

But, I sure he had a lot of help from his dad.

Bullaholic
05-06-2009, 12:45 PM
Do you think there are any parents who want their child to play for a certain coach regardless of record because they believe them to be an outstanding mentor and/or role model, or because they played for such a coach?

Emerson1
05-06-2009, 12:48 PM
Colt McCoy was found at a small school.
That is probably the worst example you could have come up with.

Spaceman_Spiff
05-06-2009, 12:50 PM
Sure they do, and it's not against UIL rules. I don't think it has anything to do with school size necessarily, as I've seen it happen in several classifications. Some of these schools have built their programs with good coaching are rewarded for their efforts by having families "want" to move into their district. Current schools that come to mind are Southlake Carroll, Aledo, and Celina. I'm not knocking these programs, heck, would love to have been a part of this process.

Pick6
05-06-2009, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Do you think there are any parents who want their child to play for a certain coach regardless of record because they believe them to be an outstanding mentor and/or role model, or because they played for such a coach?

Yes, it is happening in Aubrey right now. I know of 2 kids that already transferred to Aubrey because GA is there. What's funny is neither played football at the school they attended.

garciap77
05-06-2009, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Spaceman_Spiff
Sure they do, and it's not against UIL rules. I don't think it has anything to do with school size necessarily, as I've seen it happen in several classifications. Some of these schools have built their programs with good coaching are rewarded for their efforts by having families "want" to move into their district. Current schools that come to mind are Southlake Carroll, Aledo, and Celina. I'm not knocking these programs, heck, would love to have been a part of this process.

:iagree:

Bullaholic
05-06-2009, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Spaceman_Spiff

I agree Sp_Sp---I think success breeds success, everyone wants to a part of it.

Pick6
05-06-2009, 12:54 PM
Should a parent choose a school over athletics or academics? Do you think they always do?

pirate4state
05-06-2009, 01:07 PM
I don't think that is true. There are many kids who get overlooked. True, but I still think that if you're a special kid, there will be buzz around you.

That's not to say that you or your parents or your coach should just sit back & wait for someone to come to you.

Electus Unus
05-06-2009, 01:09 PM
True, but I still think that if you're a special kid, there will be buzz around you.

That's not to say that you or your parents or your coach should just sit back & wait for someone to come to you. Momma always said I was special! lol

pirate4state
05-06-2009, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
But how much faith do you think that parents of outstanding athletes place in this? Dunno

pirate4state
05-06-2009, 01:10 PM
Momma always said I was special! lol At least she thought so! :D

Electus Unus
05-06-2009, 01:11 PM
At least she thought so! :D haha!

LH Panther Mom
05-06-2009, 07:05 PM
Should a parent choose a school over athletics or academics?
We picked Liberty Hill because of academics, the small-town & we could get the best house for the price. We knew we had to live somewhere in the Austin area and AISD was OUT. Eanes ISD was our first choice based on academics, but we couldn't afford the houses or the "status" required. Liberty Hill had the next best rating from the report cards. The clincher was we could build a new home, get 400 sf more than Leander, Georgetown or Round Rock and have 1/2 acre lot instead a 4x4 backyard.

Whether a parent should or not, I can't say. I do know that athletics was never in the equation in our process, since the oldest was going into 5th grade at the time.

Trashman
05-06-2009, 07:07 PM
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes, numba 2, because all parents think that their kid is much more tallented than they really are.:(

Rabid Cougar
05-06-2009, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
We picked Liberty Hill because of academics, the small-town & we could get the best house for the price. We knew we had to live somewhere in the Austin area and AISD was OUT. Eanes ISD was our first choice based on academics, but we couldn't afford the houses or the "status" required. Liberty Hill had the next best rating from the report cards. The clincher was we could build a new home, get 400 sf more than Leander, Georgetown or Round Rock and have 1/2 acre lot instead a 4x4 backyard.

Whether a parent should or not, I can't say. I do know that athletics was never in the equation in our process, since the oldest was going into 5th grade at the time.

Could you do that now? I've suspect it is the next Leander.

LH Panther Mom
05-08-2009, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Rabid Cougar
Could you do that now? I've suspect it is the next Leander.
Oh, heck no! It'd be $30-$50k more now for the same house.