PDA

View Full Version : pit bull attack in stephenville....

jason
05-05-2009, 12:20 PM
Another pit bull attack
Two dogs, three children and
one hero
By AMANDA
KIMBLE
Staff Writer
Published: Tuesday, May 5, 2009 8:54 AM CDT

It was a typical Sunday evening for Stephenville resident Matthew Wax, 26, until the Tarleton State University student found himself fighting off two enraged dogs in an attempt to save three children from attack.

Wax said he had just left the university and was driving down Frey Street headed to the park, when he saw a terrified boy riding his bike with two pit bulls hot on his trail.

Wax, who is studying for his EMT certification, is a criminal justice major planning to apply to the Stephenville Police Department’s cadet program.
Seeing the distress on the boy’s face, Wax stopped his truck and ran to the rescue of Jason Waldrop, 13.

“I got myself in between the dogs and the boy,” Wax said. “I told him (Waldrop) to go on.”

Once the boy gained a safe distance from the dogs, the two pit bulls, a brown male and a tan female, attacked Wax. The boy ran into a nearby home for safety.

“I just kept kicking at them,” Wax said. “I had nowhere to go, so I jumped into the back of my truck.”

According to Police Chief Roy Halsell, Wax’s heroic efforts made him the victim as he was nipped in his backside and sustained minor injuries to a finger.

With Wax in the bed of the truck, his girlfriend, Ashley Davis, who witnessed the “horrifying” incident from inside, dialed 911.

Wax said he was shaken and scared as he waited for help to arrive, but tried to keep the dogs’ attention until officers responded. Suddenly two more young boys (who were not identified), rode their bicycles past the scene. The boys caught the pit bulls’ attention and another chase ensued.

“I jumped out of the truck and started chasing them again,” Wax said.

Halsell said the pit bulls charged area residents at least three times and an assembled crowd began swinging sticks and clubs in an attempt to ward off the dogs, and also said there were about eight witnesses to the incident.

When officers arrived at the scene, the animals charged them. Halsell said the officers were forced to discharge their weapons to scare the dogs away. The pit bulls fled and entered the yard of a home in the 1300 block of Frey Street. As the officers attempted to enter the yard, the dogs attacked again. This time, the dogs were then tranquilized and taken to the Erath County Humane Society where they are still being held.

Halsell said the dogs likely belong to the home on Frey where they were apprehended, but the owners have not been located.

“We have a house and a name but we are unable to locate the owners,” Halsell said.

Halsell also said since the attacks were unprovoked, city ordinance states the dogs will likely be deemed as “dangerous.” The ordinance requires owners of dangerous dogs to obtain a permit, carry insurance on the canines, and provide an enclosure to ensure public safety. When the owners are located, they will be served papers and be required to go to court.

Wax said Monday if the decision were his, he would say the dogs are a danger.

“I absolutely believe those dogs are dangerous,” Wax said. “I know there a lot of pit bull owners and pit bull lovers in the city, and I understand that people keep them as pets, but I believe that animals are not naturally aggressive. I believe they are trained to attack. There is no reason they should have been out running the streets, threatening the safety of others.”

a few months ago, an off duty police officer shot a pit bull that had his kids cornered at the city park....

GreenMonster
05-05-2009, 12:34 PM
Pit Bulls :thmbdwn: and the same to those that defend them.

michaelp23
05-05-2009, 01:20 PM
I pitty the owner of the Pit Bull that attacks my son. We'll settle things right quick. People have no business owning Pit Bulls in residential areas. We hear every week or so about another attack in Texas, its time to get rid of them.

kaorder1999
05-05-2009, 01:41 PM
this thread will get interesting quick...will be some on here real quick defending them. Ive learned to just keep quiet on the matter though I am NOT a fan of the breed at all!

pirate4state
05-05-2009, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
this thread will get interesting quick...will be some on here real quick defending them. Ive learned to just keep quiet on the matter though I am NOT a fan of the breed at all! no kidding! didn't we go round & round on this subject awhile back? :D

kaorder1999
05-05-2009, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
no kidding! didn't we go round & round on this subject awhile back? :D

yeah...cause you are a meanie!

pirate4state
05-05-2009, 01:47 PM
yeah...cause you are a meanie! Not about this! You were the meanie! :tongue:

kaorder1999
05-05-2009, 01:49 PM
Not about this! You were the meanie! :tongue:

WHAT? Ive never been mean a day in my life! lol can you get on messenger? need advice!!

Sweetwater Red
05-05-2009, 01:50 PM
this thread will get interesting quick...will be some on here real quick defending them. Ive learned to just keep quiet on the matter though I am NOT a fan of the breed at all!

:thinking:

http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=83564&highlight=pitbull+attack

http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=82319&highlight=pitbull+attack

http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=67831&highlight=pitbull+attack

http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=45930&highlight=pitbull+attack

pirate4state
05-05-2009, 01:52 PM
WHAT? Ive never been mean a day in my life! lol can you get on messenger? need advice!! from a meanie? haha okay

Black_Magic
05-05-2009, 01:55 PM
I think people who own those kinds of dogs should be required to have Liability insurance in the least. that would sure cut down on people wanting to own them.

Looking4number8
05-05-2009, 04:37 PM
First of all.........

Way to go Matthew Wax!!!! Putting yourself in danger to save kids you don't know... TWICE IN A MATTER OF MINUTES! All the respect in the world is owed to you!

Second, I agree that the breed is not truly aggressive until they are trained to be.( I dont own a pit bull and dont want one!) I don't know the solution to the problem but people who raise dogs to be agressive really piss me off! It's not right for the neighborhood or the animal. I also belive once the dogs has shown this type of aggression it should be put down and the owner should be finded heavily!

injuredinmelee
05-05-2009, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
I think people who own those kinds of dogs should be required to have Liability insurance in the least. that would sure cut down on people wanting to own them.

that might be the only thing we have ever agreed upon... EVER.

ASUFrisbeeStud
05-05-2009, 06:13 PM
Reggie wont like this thread

sinfan75
05-05-2009, 07:01 PM
I'll tell ya a good story. A few weeks ago a lady workin on the windfarm project south of Sinton pulled up not far from a house. 2 pit bulls came after her truck she was in. Long story short my boss pulled up after the dogs had left. She had a flat tire that she said the dogs had caused. Boss didn't believe her until he saw the blood on the tire. Now the good part. He gonna change the tire for her but when he gets under the truck to get the spare it's flat too. Blood everywhere.
Now the other side. Way too many punks who have the "little man syndrome" are raisin these dogs to be pure ass mean so they can look tough. The people that are raisin these dogs in this fashion should sent to prison. Period! I raised a pit and she was one of the best dogs I ever had. Her, my cocker spaniel and the chihuahua (she's the meanest of the 3). You can say what you want about em but they're just as good pets as any other dog if raised in the same fashion as any other dog. But remember any dog no matter what the breed has the ability to attack and to attack they will. Oh and the most likely dog to turn on someone no matter how they are raised is a german shephard.

mustang04
05-05-2009, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
Pit Bulls :thmbdwn: and the same to those that defend them.

to each their own.....

I don't even have to explain my side of this issue as it is well known by most posters who have been here a while...

3afan
05-06-2009, 07:42 AM
get a Golden Retriever ... #1 breed on planet Earth

:D

jason
05-06-2009, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
get a Golden Retriever ... #1 breed on planet Earth

i would beg to differ.....

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/5605/dave1p.jpg

Trashman
05-06-2009, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by sinfan75
I'll tell ya a good story. A few weeks ago a lady workin on the windfarm project south of Sinton pulled up not far from a house. 2 pit bulls came after her truck she was in. Long story short my boss pulled up after the dogs had left. She had a flat tire that she said the dogs had caused. Boss didn't believe her until he saw the blood on the tire. Now the good part. He gonna change the tire for her but when he gets under the truck to get the spare it's flat too. Blood everywhere.
Now the other side. Way too many punks who have the "little man syndrome" are raisin these dogs to be pure ass mean so they can look tough. The people that are raisin these dogs in this fashion should sent to prison. Period! I raised a pit and she was one of the best dogs I ever had. Her, my cocker spaniel and the chihuahua (she's the meanest of the 3). You can say what you want about em but they're just as good pets as any other dog if raised in the same fashion as any other dog. But remember any dog no matter what the breed has the ability to attack and to attack they will. Oh and the most likely dog to turn on someone no matter how they are raised is a german shephard.

Good point Sinfan! Do any of you "Old Timers" remember the "Doberman Gang" movies from 70's. After those movies came out every want-a-be hood in the state had a doberman. :rolleyes:

3afan
05-06-2009, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by jason

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/5605/dave1p.jpg

you KNOW i'm right!!!

garciap77
05-06-2009, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by michaelp23
I pitty the owner of the Pit Bull that attacks my son. We'll settle things right quick. People have no business owning Pit Bulls in residential areas. We hear every week or so about another attack in Texas, its time to get rid of them.

:2thumbsup

garciap77
05-06-2009, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by sinfan75

I have a friend that works for animal control. He told me the dog they fear the most is the Chow Chow.

Ranger Mom
05-06-2009, 08:45 AM

When officers arrived at the scene, the animals charged them. Halsell said the officers were forced to discharge their weapons to scare the dogs away. The pit bulls fled and entered the yard of a home in the 1300 block of Frey Street. As the officers attempted to enter the yard, the dogs attacked again. This time, the dogs were then tranquilized and taken to the Erath County Humane Society where they are still being held.

Here is what I don't understand....they "discharged their weapons to scare the dogs away"....and the dogs attacked again and were tranquilized and taken to the Humane Society.

I don't understand why they didn't just shoot em dead....either time.

I wouldn't own a pit bull, but I think a properly trained one can be a good dog.

Ranger Mom
05-06-2009, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by garciap77
I have a friend that works for animal control. He told me the dog they fear the most is the Chow Chow.

Our pound won't adopt out a pit bull or a Sharpei.

My son and daughter in law have a boxer/Sharpei mix and I don't trust that dog around strangers for a second.

scrub c
05-06-2009, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by michaelp23

Could not have said it better myself...

rockdale80
05-06-2009, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by scrub c
Could not have said it better myself...

The fun part is that has been defended FACTUALLY and people still offer their opinions. If you want to pass judgement then do it based on some evidence and not the media and their interpretation of dog breed. :rolleyes:

Emerson1
05-06-2009, 11:42 AM

I would beg to differ

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/954/gaydaveuz9.jpg

Emerson1
05-06-2009, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by rockdale80
The fun part is that has been defended FACTUALLY and people still offer their opinions. If you want to pass judgement then do it based on some evidence and not the media and their interpretation of dog breed. :rolleyes:
It's not an interpretation. You don't see labs, golden retrievers blue heelers going pyscho and attacking small children unprovoked. There is a reason why all the wanna be gangsters have pit bulls, it's not because they are cute.

kaorder1999
05-06-2009, 11:48 AM

I think many people base their opinions on the breed based on the evidence that the media reports, as well as first hand experiences. And I dont see anything wrong with that. The media is reporting facts, not opinions. They are reporting the attacks. And they dont JUST report the pit bull attacks or pit mix attacks.

garciap77
05-06-2009, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
I would beg to differ

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Electus Unus
05-06-2009, 12:15 PM

garciap77
05-06-2009, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Here is what I don't understand....they "discharged their weapons to scare the dogs away"....and the dogs attacked again and were tranquilized and taken to the Humane Society.

I wouldn't own a pit bull, but I think a properly trained one can be a good dog.

:iagree:
Where was Officer Robert Powell on this one? ;) ;) ;);)

Looking4number8
05-06-2009, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
:iagree:
Where was Officer Robert Powell on this one? ;) ;) ;);)

:fnypost:

scrub c
05-06-2009, 02:01 PM

I have evidence, factual information that scrub c hates pitbulls and will destroy any pitbull roaming at large on my property...

I live in West Columbia, so be forewarned... The only good pitbull-is a dead pitbull.

mustang04
05-06-2009, 02:05 PM
I have evidence, factual information that scrub c hates pitbulls and will destroy any pitbull roaming at large on my property...

I live in West Columbia, so be forewarned... The only good pitbull-is a dead pitbull.

Here's a fact for you....if you or anyone set foot on our ranch saying that, you'll wish you were attacked by a pitbull....

espn1
05-06-2009, 04:57 PM
I would beg to differ

LMAO! :D :D :D That's funny right there! I don't care who ya are!

espn1
05-06-2009, 04:59 PM

I live in West Columbia, so be forewarned... The only good pitbull-is a dead pitbull. Sign me up!

sinfan75
05-06-2009, 05:35 PM

I wouldn't own a pit bull, but I think a properly trained one can be a good dog. I never trained my pit I just raised her like any other dog. We played ball wrestled stuff like that. just normal with any other dog. You don't have to train em just treat em like any other dog.

Trashman
05-06-2009, 06:11 PM
Our pound won't adopt out a pit bull or a Sharpei.

My son and daughter in law have a boxer/Sharpei mix and I don't trust that dog around strangers for a second.

We had a Sharpei and never had any trouble with her. Are they considered a bad dog or are there other issues that the pound won't adopt them out?:thinking:

scrub c
05-06-2009, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by mustang04
Here's a fact for you....if you or anyone set foot on our ranch saying that, you'll wish you were attacked by a pitbull....

LOL... thats funny.

stupid, but funny.

rockdale80
05-06-2009, 09:02 PM
I think many people base their opinions on the breed based on the evidence that the media reports, as well as first hand experiences. And I dont see anything wrong with that. The media is reporting facts, not opinions. They are reporting the attacks. And they dont JUST report the pit bull attacks or pit mix attacks.

That is inaccurate. They lump SEVERAL "pitbull type" dogs into a classification to skew the numbers. This includes several larger breeds like Rottweilers, German Shepards, etc. I have on more than one occasion shown this to be true and that the number of actual pitbull attacks is extremely small based on the population of the US and the amount of dogs in this country. It is a very RARE occurence yet the media takes it and runs with it when it does happen. I am extremely sympathetic to people that have been attacked, but dogs are no different than people. Some are raised properly and some are not. Some are crazy and some are not. Dogs that arent mentally stable and display signs of aggression when unprovoked should be kept away from humans or put to sleep. ANY DOG. Dont ostracize a breed of dog because of a bad few. That is just silly. I challenge people to actually research the issue rather than assume and pass judgement blindly.

*33 dog bite deaths (all breeds) out of 300,000,000 US citizens and 74,800,000 dogs.

*437 US citizens died from lightning strikes between 1997 and 2006. On average more people die yearly from lightning strikes!

I guess we should all panic immediately!!!:rolleyes:

Emerson1
05-06-2009, 09:08 PM
33 deaths

Now how many attacks were there? If you are going to cry about facts, don't skew them in your favor.

Pit bulls should be lumped with animals like lions and tigers. They are naturally aggressive and can go from peaceful to killing children in a second.

rockdale80
05-06-2009, 09:18 PM
33 deaths

Now how many attacks were there? If you are going to cry about facts, don't skew them in your favor.

Pit bulls should be lumped with animals like lions and tigers. They are naturally aggressive and can go from peaceful to killing children in a second.

Here are some facts:

On average 3 children per day are killed by their parents, or 1100 per year.

On average 50 children die per year from broken baby cribs.

:thinking: :thinking:

I dont think that is skewing facts... But I am not hiding behind numbers either.

33 U.S. fatal dog attacks occurred in 2007. Pit bull type dogs were responsible for 60%. Pit bulls make up approximately 2-9% of the US dog population.
The combination of pit bulls (21), rottweilers (4) and American bulldogs (3) accounted for 80% of all fatal attacks.
51% of the attacks occurred to children (11 years and under) and 49% occurred to adults (21 years and older). Of the adults, 76% occurred to ages 55 and older.
46% of fatal attacks in 2007 involved multiple dogs; 23% involved chained dogs.
80% of the attacks occurred on owner property and 20% off owner property. Of the off-property attacks, 57% (4) were attributed to pit bulls.

60% of the victims were female; 40% of the victims were male. Of the female victims, nearly half (10) were 55 years and older.
The state of Texas had the most fatalities (7). Of these fatalities, 86% (6) were attributed to pit bulls.

Also, the number of deaths by dog mauling went down in 2008 to 23. Just something to think about... More people die each year at the hands of their parents (by a staggering percentage) than dog attacks. ;)

mustang04
05-06-2009, 10:17 PM
LOL... thats funny.

stupid, but funny.
you know.....i'm actually kind of bummed you dont live close enough to sweetwater to try it

SintonFan
05-06-2009, 11:18 PM
That is inaccurate. They lump SEVERAL "pitbull type" dogs into a classification to skew the numbers. This includes several larger breeds like Rottweilers, German Shepards, etc. I have on more than one occasion shown this to be true and that the number of actual pitbull attacks is extremely small based on the population of the US and the amount of dogs in this country. It is a very RARE occurence yet the media takes it and runs with it when it does happen. I am extremely sympathetic to people that have been attacked, but dogs are no different than people. Some are raised properly and some are not. Some are crazy and some are not. Dogs that arent mentally stable and display signs of aggression when unprovoked should be kept away from humans or put to sleep. ANY DOG. Dont ostracize a breed of dog because of a bad few. That is just silly. I challenge people to actually research the issue rather than assume and pass judgement blindly.

*33 dog bite deaths (all breeds) out of 300,000,000 US citizens and 74,800,000 dogs.

*437 US citizens died from lightning strikes between 1997 and 2006. On average more people die yearly from lightning strikes!

I guess we should all panic immediately!!!:rolleyes:
I agree. (this IS my opinion too lol)
In 17 years of visiting folks' homes I have dealt with most breeds of dogs. (I calculated probably over 20,000 dog breed interactions)
The worst I know of imho are:
1. Red/Blue Heelers (good for owners' families but bad for strangers when owners are NOT home)
2. Chihuahuas (terribly aggressive)
3. Rottweilers (very very possessive and territorial when owners don't take control of that breed)
My knowledge is tempered with the fact that I often interact with their dogs WHEN THEY AREN'T AROUND(sometimes their kids are home sometimes not).
I have had one bad time with a pit bull young adult. That poor dog was abused.
I do know what I am talking about here in this issue.
I would put pit bulls up with certain breeds like golden retrievers and labs any day.
I can go on and on about good breeds and bad breeds but ultimately the owners of any breed is the biggest determinate when it comes to "good dogs" and "bad dogs". They should hold the responsibility for their own dog's action in my opinion.

SWMustang
05-07-2009, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan
I agree. (this IS my opinion too lol)
In 17 years of visiting folks' homes I have dealt with most breeds of dogs. (I calculated probably over 20,000 dog breed interactions)
The worst I know of imho are:
1. Red/Blue Heelers (good for owners' families but bad for strangers when owners are NOT home)
2. Chihuahuas (terribly aggressive)
3. Rottweilers (very very possessive and territorial when owners don't take control of that breed)
My knowledge is tempered with the fact that I often interact with their dogs WHEN THEY AREN'T AROUND(sometimes their kids are home sometimes not).
I have had one bad time with a pit bull young adult. That poor dog was abused.
I do know what I am talking about here in this issue.
I would put pit bulls up with certain breeds like golden retrievers and labs any day.
I can go on and on about good breeds and bad breeds but ultimately the owners of any breed is the biggest determinate when it comes to "good dogs" and "bad dogs". They should hold the responsibility for their own dog's action in my opinion.

I agree - keep any dog you want. My only request is for the owner to be held criminally responsible if the dog injures or kills someone.

pancho villa
05-07-2009, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by mustang04
you know.....i'm actually kind of bummed you dont live close enough to sweetwater to try it

Wow you are a tough guy.

scrub c
05-07-2009, 08:13 AM
What is the best kind of pitbull???

pancho villa
05-07-2009, 08:22 AM
What is the best kind of pitbull???

A dead pitbull!

Pick6
05-07-2009, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by pancho villa
A dead pitbull!

Ding, Ding, Ding, we have a winner.

kaorder1999
05-07-2009, 08:33 AM
Here are some facts:

On average 3 children per day are killed by their parents, or 1100 per year.

On average 50 children die per year from broken baby cribs.

:thinking: :thinking:

I dont think that is skewing facts... But I am not hiding behind numbers either.

33 U.S. fatal dog attacks occurred in 2007. Pit bull type dogs were responsible for 60%. Pit bulls make up approximately 2-9% of the US dog population.
The combination of pit bulls (21), rottweilers (4) and American bulldogs (3) accounted for 80% of all fatal attacks.
51% of the attacks occurred to children (11 years and under) and 49% occurred to adults (21 years and older). Of the adults, 76% occurred to ages 55 and older.
46% of fatal attacks in 2007 involved multiple dogs; 23% involved chained dogs.
80% of the attacks occurred on owner property and 20% off owner property. Of the off-property attacks, 57% (4) were attributed to pit bulls.

60% of the victims were female; 40% of the victims were male. Of the female victims, nearly half (10) were 55 years and older.
The state of Texas had the most fatalities (7). Of these fatalities, 86% (6) were attributed to pit bulls.

Also, the number of deaths by dog mauling went down in 2008 to 23. Just something to think about... More people die each year at the hands of their parents (by a staggering percentage) than dog attacks. ;)

emerson's point is you are bring up FATAL attacks. What are the numbers on non-fatal attacks?

Ranger Mom
05-07-2009, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by Trashman
We had a Sharpei and never had any trouble with her. Are they considered a bad dog or are there other issues that the pound won't adopt them out?:thinking:

They need to be socialized at an early age because they can become aggressive and territorial. My son rescued this dog from a pen on the side of the road where it and it's litter mates were kept as the owners were trying to get rid of them.

They got the last one about 2 weeks after first seeing them. He has always been highly suspicious of people and while he in an excellent watch dog, I have seen some aggressive tendencies when people go into the yard with him. He has never bitten anyone, but I keep an eye on him at all times until he settles down.

He shows no fear to my son, his wife, my granddaughter or myself....he doesn't trust anyone else. He's not even a year old yet.

I don't know why our pound doesn't adopt them out....I just know they don't.

Farmersfan
05-07-2009, 09:00 AM
This is the silliest argument ever. The Pit Bull breed was man-made for the purpose of fighting and killing. That's where they get their names. PIT BULL: They would fight in a pit. Regardless of how aggressive or wild the breed is it is still a concern that this breed has the size and stregnth and disposition to KILL when it does attack. I have a friend who works with Animal control and she fears the Chow the most but a Chow rarely ever KILLS or horribly mauls anyone. They just bite and leave. The Pit Bull is being used as a status symbol in this society and it has to be stopped. And the Dog Lover argument is nonsense because everything that a Pit Bull brings to the table can be had with most other breeds also. (without the risk)..........

Farmersfan
05-07-2009, 09:03 AM
80% of all fatal attacks are contributed to Pit Bulls............. Do we need any other facts?

Ranger Mom
05-07-2009, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
80% of all fatal attacks are contributed to Pit Bulls............. Do we need any other facts?

So what do you think should happen to the breed?

Should they all be euthanized and the breed be wiped from the face of the earth??

Is the pitbull any more vicious than a chihuahua....who has been termed the most vicious dog......but, can't do the damage a pit can.

Just food for thought!

rockdale80
05-07-2009, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by Farmersfan

Actually you only read and quoted what you felt would make your argument stronger. Also, that includes pit bull mixes or any dog animal control feels is a pit bull mix. The statistic reads as follows:

Also, not to sound callous, but it was 33 deaths in 2007 and 23 in 2003 by all dog breeds. MORE PEOPLE ARE STUCK BY LIGHTNING AND WAY MORE CHILDREN ARE KILLED BY THEIR PARENTS.

Pit bulls were bred to be working dogs. They were used to work cattle actually. I asked people to research the dog breed yet a few still spew ignorance and try to pass it off as fact. I dont have a problem with people having an opinion, but base it off facts and not media hype or the opinions of other ignorance.

;)

kaorder1999
05-07-2009, 09:57 AM
here is my point on the media hype you are concerned with...

If a child is attacked and killed by ANY TYPE OF DOG the media will report it....not just pit attacks. That seems to be the argument of the majority of pit supporters....the opinion that the media only reports on the pit attacks and I dont believe that is the case. So when these attacks are reported and the vast majority of them are pit pull or pit bull mix types of dogs, I dont see where the media is blowing it out of proportion when they are just reporting the attacks! The attacks are factual....theyhappen!

And you are probably right on the number of fatal attacks but once again, what about the non-fatal attacks?

scrub c
05-07-2009, 10:06 AM
MORE PEOPLE ARE STUCK BY LIGHTNING

your analogy to lightning is pretty good... Its like for reasons unknown, they just strike...

Someone post some stats on mauling attacks and damage caused by said attacks. (non-fatal)
As posted earlier, the vicious chihuahua is not going to maul an 8 y/o.

pirate4state
05-07-2009, 10:12 AM
your analogy to lightning is pretty good... Its like for reasons unknown, they just strike...

Someone post some stats on mauling attacks and damage caused by said attacks. (non-fatal)
As posted earlier, the vicious chihuahua is not going to maul an 8 y/o.

someone? why not you? :p

kaorder1999
05-07-2009, 10:21 AM
i would post stats on non-fatal attacks but I cant find any from reliable sources....

scrub c
05-07-2009, 10:24 AM
someone? why not you? :p
too lazy

rockdale80
05-07-2009, 10:42 AM
i would post stats on non-fatal attacks but I cant find any from reliable sources....

Exactly. It varies too much to be considered accurate. You are correct. People die from them every year, but the amount is miniscule when you consider population of citizens and dogs, but is on every mainstream media outlet. It just gets blown out of proportion is all. More kids die from defective baby cribs, but they dont report those when they happen. Why not get rid of all baby beds because a few dont funtion properly and kill people. I wonder how many children are maimed or injured because of the defects? Why doesnt anyone ask that question? They kill more, and most likely injure more, than a breed of dog. :hand:

Looking4number8
05-07-2009, 10:49 AM
How about this thought.

Many more pit pulls are abused and mauled because of humans than humans mauled by pit bulls. Not justifying the pit bull, just complaining about the people that teach them to be violent

Macarthur
05-07-2009, 10:49 AM
Actually you only read and quoted what you felt would make your argument stronger. Also, that includes pit bull mixes or any dog animal control feels is a pit bull mix. The statistic reads as follows:

Also, not to sound callous, but it was 33 deaths in 2007 and 23 in 2003 by all dog breeds. MORE PEOPLE ARE STUCK BY LIGHTNING AND WAY MORE CHILDREN ARE KILLED BY THEIR PARENTS.

Pit bulls were bred to be working dogs. They were used to work cattle actually. I asked people to research the dog breed yet a few still spew ignorance and try to pass it off as fact. I dont have a problem with people having an opinion, but base it off facts and not media hype or the opinions of other ignorance.

;)

Your argument is so flawed it's not even funny.

Your analogy about lightening is silly. If we could find a way of keeping people from being killed from lightening, we would. Just because people die of accidents doesn't mean we shouldn't attempt to keep that from happening.

As far back as 15 years ago, over 66% of all fatalities in dog attacks were pits. That is a fact.

And as we discussed on previous threads, attacks is misleading because there are lots of dogs that attack that don't result in fatalities or devistating injuries. Pits are so powerful and tenacious, when they attack, they do lots and lots of damage.
Someone mentioned Chihuahua's. What a rediculous argument. Sure, all dogs bite, but not all dogs will maime and kill.

Pits were not bread as working dogs. Originally, bulldogs were used to bring in bulls. However in Elizabethan England bull-baiting and bear-baiting became wildly popular but bulldogs were not really that interested in fighting. Bulldogs were crossed with English White and Black and Tan Terriers which started the breed of what we now call pit bulls. There were folks once these immigrated to America that used these as farm dogs, but they were primarily and originally used as fighting dogs.

Now, I agree with your points that how a dog is raised is very important as to their temperment.

However, the problem you have with pits, as I mentioned earlier, is that you have no room for error. When pits attack, people die or are seriously injured, especially children. When other breeds attack, people get hurt, but it's rarely fatal or devistating.

scrub c
05-07-2009, 10:57 AM
:thinking: Yeah, what he said...

Ranger Mom
05-07-2009, 10:59 AM
Here is my 2 cents.

I think anyone that owns a dog that is deemed as a "vicious breed" should have to carry some type of liability insurance IF that dog resides in a residential neighborhood.

I think kids and/or grownup should be held accountable when caught teasing/harrassing/bullying a dog. It is amazing how many attacks I have heard of where the victim started the whole thing by teasing the dog.

I think if you want a dog and you don't have a yard for it to run and play in then you shouldn't own a dog......IMO, dogs should NEVER be chained up, unless it is VERY short-term...(like an hour or so!)

I wouldn't agree to them ever being chained up, but when I took my dogs to the river, they had to be leashed at all times, unless they were in the tent.

pancho villa
05-07-2009, 11:02 AM
Here is my 2 cents.

I think anyone that owns a dog that is deemed as a "vicious breed" should have to carry some type of liability insurance IF that dog resides in a residential neighborhood.

I think kids and/or grownup should be held accountable when caught teasing/harrassing/bullying a dog. It is amazing how many attacks I have heard of where the victim started the whole thing by teasing the dog.

I think if you want a dog and you don't have a yard for it to run and play in then you shouldn't own a dog......IMO, dogs should NEVER be chained up, unless it is VERY short-term...(like an hour or so!)

I wouldn't agree to them ever being chained up, but when I took my dogs to the river, they had to be leashed at all times, unless they were in the tent.

Why would you bring your dogs to the river?

Ranger Mom
05-07-2009, 11:03 AM
Why would you bring your dogs to the river?

Why not??

They loved it! Had their own tubes and life jackets!!

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/91/l_8da165d74de0f8ec123a18c5b05e257f.jpg

Macarthur
05-07-2009, 11:03 AM
Here is my 2 cents.

I think if you want a dog and you don't have a yard for it to run and play in then you shouldn't own a dog......IMO, dogs should NEVER be chained up, unless it is VERY short-term.

In a perfect world, this would be great. However, the realty is that how many of these folks that end up letting their dogs lose to do this would comply with some requirement to buy insurance? I would say very very few.

This may come across as pretencious, but I don't care. Many of these attacks seem to happen in lower income areas. You really think these folks are going to buy liability insurance for their dog?

Your assumption is that everyone needs to start becoming a responsibile dog owner, but experience tells us that this is just not going to happen.

kaorder1999
05-07-2009, 11:04 AM
Exactly. It varies too much to be considered accurate. You are correct. People die from them every year, but the amount is miniscule when you consider population of citizens and dogs, but is on every mainstream media outlet. It just gets blown out of proportion is all. More kids die from defective baby cribs, but they dont report those when they happen. Why not get rid of all baby beds because a few dont funtion properly and kill people. I wonder how many children are maimed or injured because of the defects? Why doesnt anyone ask that question? They kill more, and most likely injure more, than a breed of dog. :hand:

you keep mentioning the word die....and the amount of people dying from them is small.....but once again....i am asking about the NON FATAL attacks, attacks in which the person attacked does not die......you are basing your entire argument on numbers and facts regarding deaths but what about attacks where death does not occur....

pancho villa
05-07-2009, 11:04 AM
Why not??

You got to be kidding me.

Macarthur
05-07-2009, 11:06 AM
you keep mentioning the word die....and the amount of people dying from them is small.....but once again....i am asking about the NON FATAL attacks, attacks in which the person attacked does not die......you are basing your entire argument on numbers and facts regarding deaths but what about attacks where death does not occur....

You're right KA.

It has to be taken into account that these dogs do much more damage overall than other breeds simply because of their strength and tenacity.

Ranger Mom
05-07-2009, 11:10 AM
You got to be kidding me.

No....I even posted a picture a couple of posts up. Here is is again!

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/91/l_8da165d74de0f8ec123a18c5b05e257f.jpg

Here they were before we rode the river:

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/1/l_d93c40726a5a8e5f1d826e95e430d015.jpg

and after.....they were TIRED!!

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/121/l_e7ff15fc93e8495ee2adceb52bf1a9dc.jpg

kaorder1999
05-07-2009, 11:15 AM
and furthermore....if an infant dies from a defective crib you can bet your rear that the media would run with it and in fact, that crib company would do everything in their power to fix that problem to keep it from ever happening again. Its something that they have the power to fix.

scrub c
05-07-2009, 11:21 AM
KA is on like donkey kong now...

SintonFan
05-07-2009, 11:53 AM
I know everyone has strong opinions about this issue but those who promote euthanizing a whole breed can't have thought out the big picture in this regard. If you euthanize or ban a whole breed the repercussions of this slippery slope are endless. Yes, the breed has potential to be dangerous and deadly. But so does guns and knives. It is unwise to stampede to judgement or we might end up like "formerly" Great Britain and become a nanny state that has banned many ordinary things and even thoughts based on potential to harm(or show bias).
I(and others here on the pro breed side) am not advocating anything other than responsible ownership, but the whole argument for banning "potential" has bigger consequences for this nation in the form of less and less freedoms. Life has risks and there is no way life will ever be free from potential risks.

BleedOrange
05-07-2009, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Macarthur
In a perfect world, this would be great. However, the realty is that how many of these folks that end up letting their dogs lose to do this would comply with some requirement to buy insurance? I would say very very few.

This may come across as pretencious, but I don't care. Many of these attacks seem to happen in lower income areas. You really think these folks are going to buy liability insurance for their dog?

Your assumption is that everyone needs to start becoming a responsibile dog owner, but experience tells us that this is just not going to happen.

Generally, your homeowners or renters insurance covers dog bite liability. Ask your broker or read your policy to confirm coverage if you are at risk. However, if you have that kind of risk at your home I think I would reconsider even having the dog to begin with.

Macarthur
05-07-2009, 12:03 PM
[B]I know everyone has strong opinions about this issue but those who promote euthanizing a whole breed can't have thought out the big picture in this regard. If you euthanize or ban a whole breed the repercussions of this slippery slope are endless.

I don't think I'm advocating this. It would be very problematic. But you could put a referendum on breeding.

Yes, the breed has potential to be dangerous and deadly. But so does guns and knives.

Not the same; analogy does not work.

It is unwise to stampede to judgement or we might end up like "formerly" Great Britain and become a nanny state that has banned many ordinary things and even thoughts based on potential to harm(or show bias).

Again, you're taking this somewhere that it doesn't need to go. I'm a libertarian so I'm not advocating more government control. This doesn't have to be some big brother deal. A little common sense could go a long way.

Oh and I don't think anyone is "stampeding to judgement". I think there's sufficient evidence to make a judgement.

I(and others here on the pro breed side) am not advocating anything other than responsible ownership, but the whole argument for banning "potential" has bigger consequences for this nation in the form of less and less freedoms. Life has risks and there is no way life will ever be free from potential risks.

But there has to be a line that someone crosses. Should we allow "responsible" ownership of mountain lions? You have to draw a line somewhere.

And the "life has risks" argument just doesn't cut it. Sure life has risks and we are always looking at ways to, within reason, reduce risks. Why do you buy cars with airbags? Do you not concern yourself with the safety of your family? If you can make a choice of more safe versus less safe, you would choose more safe.

BleedOrange
05-07-2009, 12:06 PM
For those supporting the Pit Bull here is an excerpt from a study:

Of the breeds most often involved in incidents of sufficient severity
to be listed, pit bull terriers are noteworthy for attacking adults almost as frequently as children. This is a very rare pattern: children are normally at greatest risk from dogbite because they play with dogs more often, have less experience in reading dog behavior, are more likely to engage in activity that alarms or stimulates a dog, and are less able to defend themselves when a dog becomes aggressive. Pit bulls seem to differ behaviorally from other dogs in having far less inhibition about attacking
people who are larger than they are. They are also notorious for attacking seemingly without warning, a tendency exacerbated by the custom of docking pit bulls' tails so that warning signals are not easily recognized. Thus the adult victim of a pit bull attack may have had little or no opportunityto read the warning signals that would avert an attack from any other dog.

SintonFan
05-07-2009, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
I don't think I'm advocating this. It would be very problematic. But you could put a referendum on breeding.

Not the same; analogy does not work.

Again, you're taking this somewhere that it doesn't need to go. I'm a libertarian so I'm not advocating more government control. This doesn't have to be some big brother deal. A little common sense could go a long way.

Oh and I don't think anyone is "stampeding to judgement". I think there's sufficient evidence to make a judgement.
But there has to be a line that someone crosses. Should we allow "responsible" ownership of mountain lions? You have to draw a line somewhere.

And the "life has risks" argument just doesn't cut it. Sure life has risks and we are always looking at ways to, within reason, reduce risks. Why do you buy cars with airbags? Do you not concern yourself with the safety of your family? If you can make a choice of more safe versus less safe, you would choose more safe.
Mac, in our nation's illustrious past, we have had pitbulls before. I'm sure we have had attacks and deaths by them before. I'm not sure there was the call for government to regulate, euthanize or draw up some "referendum on breeding". How can you bring up a referendum without advocating more government control(opposite of Libertarian)?
What has changed from the past to now? Whose defines "within reason" when reducing risks? The government or popular opinion? Do we have a poll to determine "popular opinion"?
The analogy was based on "potential" and fits nicely.

garciap77
05-07-2009, 12:28 PM
A dead pitbull!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

garciap77
05-07-2009, 12:48 PM
Why not??

:clap: :clap: :clap:

You are the Best RM! I wish you could of taking GO Blue! to the river with you!:D

Or better yet 325!:D

;)

garciap77
05-07-2009, 12:51 PM

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/1/l_d93c40726a5a8e5f1d826e95e430d015.jpg

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/121/l_e7ff15fc93e8495ee2adceb52bf1a9dc.jpg

What kind of Pit Bulls are they?:D

;)

pancho villa
05-07-2009, 12:51 PM

I can't see the pictures here at work

SintonFan
05-07-2009, 12:53 PM
I can't see the pictures here at work
You're lucky.:eek:

pancho villa
05-07-2009, 01:00 PM
I can't wait to go to the Frio this summer. (without my dogs)

SintonFan
05-07-2009, 01:05 PM
Pancho, you might want to check the water levels. There's not enough to water even dirt.
But I'm sure your backside is comfortably padded so you'll be ok.

pancho villa
05-07-2009, 01:08 PM
Pancho, you might want to check the water levels. There's not enough to water even dirt.
But I'm sure your backside is comfortably padded so you'll be ok.

I am going no matter how low the water is.

Farmersfan
05-07-2009, 01:29 PM
I know everyone has strong opinions about this issue but those who promote euthanizing a whole breed can't have thought out the big picture in this regard. If you euthanize or ban a whole breed the repercussions of this slippery slope are endless. Yes, the breed has potential to be dangerous and deadly. But so does guns and knives. It is unwise to stampede to judgement or we might end up like "formerly" Great Britain and become a nanny state that has banned many ordinary things and even thoughts based on potential to harm(or show bias).

Perhaps it needs to be understood that the "American Pit Bull" did not exist until it was bred into existance by Irish and English immigrants looking to improve the fighting skills of the Bulldogs they brought with them. Is there a problem with us UNDOING the wrong that they did????

Let's see: I have a dog breed that will grab a bull by the nose and not let loose even through personal injury but they don't really have the temperment for fighting so let me breed it with another terrier breed that is bigger, stronger and more apt to fight. Now let me see what I can use this new breed for??????????????? OH! I got it! Farming and babysitting my kids!!:D :D :D

SintonFan
05-07-2009, 01:46 PM
I think the problem lies more in irresponsible owners than it does with the breed itself. The problem imo lies more with owners who use these dogs for inhumane fights just so they can get some twisted pleasure watching animals die and betting on them. Owners who breed their dogs for more aggression to fight in these sick fight rings or beat their animal to make it mean. That is the bigger problem facing us today, I believe. Not getting rid of a whole breed of dog.
Farmersfan, who in their right mind, would use a dog of any breed to babysit their kids?:p

scrub c
05-07-2009, 02:08 PM
I disagree.

How many times have you read about or seen on television that dog owner who says
"My pitbull has never bitten anyone before and is such a gentle and loving family dog" ...
right after it has mauled somebody.

almost EVERY SINGLE TIME... My dog has never been aggressive, I dont know what could have happened...

pirate4state
05-07-2009, 02:11 PM
I disagree.

How many times have you read about or seen on television that dog owner who says
"My pitbull has never bitten anyone before and is such a gentle and loving family dog" ...

almost EVERY SINGLE TIME... My dog has never been aggressive, I dont know what could have happened...

I don't know, how many times?

scrub c
05-07-2009, 02:13 PM
last count, 4,362.

In Houston alone...

scrub c
05-07-2009, 02:15 PM
and the question was how many time have YOU...YOU read or seen...

pirate4state
05-07-2009, 02:15 PM
and the question was how many time have YOU...YOU read or seen... ME? ME? I don't know. I'm just being an ass, BECAUSE I CAN BE! :devil:

Ranger Mom
05-07-2009, 02:16 PM
EVERY dog has the potential to snap!!

EVERY SINGLE ONE!!!!

pirate4state
05-07-2009, 02:18 PM
EVERY dog has the potential to snap!!

EVERY SINGLE ONE!!!!

Are you sure about that? Do you have facts to support this? Where are your credentials?

Farmersfan
05-07-2009, 02:23 PM
[BFarmersfan, who in their right mind, would use a dog of any breed to babysit their kids?:p [/B]

REALLY?????Who indeed? It seems to me that a lot of the Pit Bull attacks are on the children of the owner of the dog. Kids play with these dogs day after day, week after week, month after month and then....................BAM!!!!!!!! Almost without fail when interviewed about a Pit Bull attack the owner says "I never thought she/he would do something like that". "Rover was always a loveable and kid friendly part of the family"! I have to laugh and think of this everytime someone on a forum like this tells us how they just love their Pit Bull. "Their" pit bull is so friendly and loving they just can't understand why people don't like pit bulls. It must be the media hype! Yea! that's it, the media hype! It's the media's fault that 80% of dog bite fatalities are from Pit Bulls.........
Sorry! I get soapbox crazy from time to time.

mustang04
05-07-2009, 02:30 PM
I disagree.

YOU dumb@ss....you really think someone is gonna go on the news and say "Yeah, I beat my pit every day....fed him every couple of days, didn't give him much attention, bought him from an unreliable breeder, etc. etc. etc"

use your head

Obviously, pit-bulls are a popular breed in America, among several different kinds of owners. Pit-bulls who just "snap" more than likely were abused, starved, or inbred. Many breeders know the popularity of the breed and stupidly will breed brothers and sisters for a profit making inbred offspring that, just like humans tend to be, come out 'retarded'. If someone gets a pure-bred pitbull as a pup, socializes him with every one and everything, he will be an amazing dog. Pit-bulls are the most loyal dogs (something that I have read in COUNTLESS dog owner books)...but thats just the thing, they are so loyal that once they are raised in an environment, anything that was not introduced is a potential threat to their owner in the pit-bulls eyes....we have 2 pitbulls on my ranch that are way 2 different dogs...both are amazing dogs around the family, but the female is very suspicious of strangers and will watch every move they make with her ears perked up just making sure no one makes a wrong move to anyone in my family...but once that person comes around more, she warms up to them. The male, on the other hand, loves EVERYONE and EVERYTHING. When he was a pup I took him everywhere, my dad took him to work, my friends all have fallen in love with him. One day some kids had their rotweiller on the lake-road outside the entrance to our ranch, our dog went down there tail wagging to play, (we saw him trotting that direction) then we heard the kids yelling and screaming and heard the dogs getting into it....when we asked the kids what happened they said OUR dog jumped theirs which i was suspicious they were lying, and i told them "Buster loves playing with other dogs and he has never attacked any other dog he's confronted"...after that they said ".....oh...he doesnt?!?!" and you could tell by the way they said that that they had lied and then they apologized and left.......

bottom line.....if you're going to own a pitbull in town, you better socialize it with babies, elder ppl, hispanics, blacks, whites, and other animals...that way it will be more welcoming of those because like I said they are EXTREMELY loyal and ready to defend their home and owner....it is wise to get a pup from a more known breeder...sry but getting a pitbull pup from any kind of trash is asking for one thats probably inbred...treat it well, give it affection, and you will be rewarded with the most amazing dog breed ever....they are very smart, very instinctive, very athletic, very playful, and have a high pain tolerance which makes them GREAT around kids.....but if you raise it secluded from other ppl or animals than it is going to be cautious of anything, making it a GREAT guard dog, but ya better be living in a rural area and not a residential area.......

IT IS THE RESPONSIBILTY OF THE OWNERS AND HOW THEY RAISE THE DOG!!!!!

Every pit (except inbred) has the potential to be a great dog...and those of you who say the only good one is a dead one..you have done nothing but shown your ignorance and I actually pity you because if you are THIS closed minded about pitbulls, i'm willing to bet youre closed minded about several othr things and are probably someone no one likes to debate with because you are biased with skewered facts

Ranger Mom
05-07-2009, 02:34 PM
Alrighty......this thread has ran it's course.

Round and round and round and round we have gone and not a single person has changed their stance on it!!!

Good bye!!