PDA

View Full Version : Texas & Oklahoma College Overall Sports Rating

Bullaholic
05-04-2009, 03:13 PM
How would you curently rank the overall sports programs of the following Texas-OK colleges:

Here is an alphabetical listing to start:

Baylor
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
TCU
Texas
Texas A&M
Texas Tech

JasperDog94
05-04-2009, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
How would you curently rank the overall sports programs of the following Texas-OK colleges:

Baylor
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
TCU
Texas
Texas A&M
Texas Tech It all depends on how much weight you give each sport. Does gymnastics count twice as much as football since you have both men and women? What about track? You have indoor, outdoor, men and women, so does track count four times as much? It's all a matter of perspective.

Bullaholic
05-04-2009, 03:24 PM
Everybody that bored with this thread? I thought surely somebody would at least post their ranking to let everybody tear up...:D

Bullaholic
05-04-2009, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
It all depends on how much weight you give each sport. Does gymnastics count twice as much as football since you have both men and women? What about track? You have indoor, outdoor, men and women, so does track count four times as much? It's all a matter of perspective.

Nope, just rank your pure evaluation of the overall excellence of each program, regardless of sport.

Electus Unus
05-04-2009, 03:45 PM
1. Texas(Academically and overall athletically)
2. Texas A&M
3. Oklahoma
4. Baylor
5. Oklahoma State
6. Texas Tech
7. TCU

Bullaholic
05-04-2009, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Electus Unus
2. Texas A&M
3. Oklahoma
4. Baylor
5. Oklahoma State
6. Texas Tech
7. TCU

Thank you, EU, you are a brave soul---may you always be grateful for that you are about to receive...:D

Bullaholic
05-04-2009, 03:51 PM
Just so everyone knows that I'm fair game for discussion/criticism--here's mine:

1. Texas
2. Oklahoma
3. Texas A&M
4. Texas Tech
5. Oklahoma State
6. Baylor
7. TCU

BobcatBenny
05-04-2009, 04:05 PM
I thought A&M was banned from athletic performance ...

... or at least that is how it appears to the rest of the country. :eek:

Bullaholic
05-04-2009, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny
I thought A&M was banned from athletic performance ...

... or at least that is how it appears to the rest of the country. :eek:

http://pcpros-tx.com/oldcowboy.jpg

gtownpoke
05-04-2009, 09:41 PM
Oklahoma State leads the big 12 with the most team national championships and is ranked 4th in the country in the same category. Might not be there in the major revenue sports but wrestling, golf, etc. pull up the slack and then some! Texas is 7th on that list. Nationally it goes: UCLA with 100, Stanford with 94, Southern Cal with 84, Oklahoma State with 48, Arkansas with 41, LSU with 40, Texas with 39, and then Michigan, Penn State, and North Carolina are all tied with 32.

gtownpoke
05-04-2009, 09:52 PM
currently however this is how I would rank them:
1. Oklahoma (I hate them but almost all of their sports are going deep into postseason play)
2. Texas (no matter what sport you are playing texas in, that day seems to always be circled)
3. Oklahoma State
4. Baylor (really good in the non-revenue sports plus Briles is taking football up a notch)
5. Texas A&M
6. Texas Tech
7. TCU (could get a lot more respect, both media and recruiting, if they could get into the big 12)

Pmoney
05-04-2009, 10:13 PM
1. Texas
2. Oklahoma
3. Texas A&M
4. Texas Tech
5. Oklahoma State
6. Baylor
7. TCU
8. Houston
9. UTEP
10. Tulsa
11. North Texas

bandera7
05-04-2009, 10:46 PM
1. Texas
2. Texas A&M (this was hard for top two, remember A&M currently holds the lone star cup...both Texas and A&M have excellent overall programs)
3. Oklahoma State
4. Oklahoma
5. Baylor
6. Texas Tech
7. TCU

sahen
05-04-2009, 10:46 PM
Texas (their program overall is very impressive)
Oklahoma (same as above but Texas typically wins more titles it seems)
GAP
Oklahoma State (barely above the Aggies and Bears, they are having a nice year...next year they could be very strong across the board)
Texas A&M/Baylor (both have strong athletic programs across the board but have a couple sports that aren't up to par)
GAP
TCU (football and baseball mainly)
GAP
Rice (football in a weak conference plus a baseball power)
Texas Tech (football in a power conference, where did basketball go? and baseball? Tech's athletic dept. has taken a down turn in my opinion the past 5 years or so...)
Houston (football in a weak conference plus baseball, UH is weird to me they have good football and baseball but they should be able to have a good all around sports program w/ their location and all...they should be the TCU of houston in my opinion)
GAP
GAP
GAP
SMU (yeah, they just arent doing too well these days, hopefully they will turn it around)

the ones i didnt include i left out cause i dont have enough knowledge about...i coudl be completely wrong on some of the ones i put too but thats what came to the top of my mind and its my opinion so it dont have to be right

Electus Unus
05-04-2009, 10:52 PM
I used academics in my rankings as well as athletics.

bandera7
05-04-2009, 10:55 PM
I used academics in my rankings as well as athletics.

I thought your rankings were pretty solid. Texas does have a slight overall edge on A&M, but it all depends on what you wanna do academically. Business, you cant go wrong with either. Pretty much same with engineering. But Texas is better in liberal arts overall, and health professions. Regardless both have strong academic traditions.

Electus Unus
05-04-2009, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by bandera7
I thought your rankings were pretty solid. Texas does have a slight overall edge on A&M, but it all depends on what you wanna do academically. Business, you cant go wrong with either. Pretty much same with engineering. But Texas is better in liberal arts overall, and health professions. Regardless both have strong academic traditions. mccombs>A&M's business

engineering is a push

bandera7
05-04-2009, 11:03 PM
McCombs is better but both are in the top 10...thats why I said you cant go wrong. And actually engineering at A&M is considered higher but again both are in the top in the nation...A&M also has the #1 Petroleum Engineering program in the nation.

sahen
05-05-2009, 12:29 AM
what does academics have to do w/ sports? this was rank athletic programs, not academic programs, thats a whole different ranking all together....

sicem74
05-05-2009, 01:57 AM
lol where is u of h!?

Electus Unus
05-05-2009, 02:11 AM
2. Texas A&M
3. Oklahoma
4. Baylor
5. Oklahoma State
6. Texas Tech
7. TCU

Redoing it to include all texas teams.

1. Texas(Overall)
2. A&M(Overall)
3. Oklahoma(Football)
4. Baylor(Overall)
5. Rice(Baseball)
6. Houston(Phi Slamma Jamma)
7. Texas Tech
8. TCU
9. North Texas
10. Tulsa
11. UTEP
12. SMU

sahen
05-05-2009, 08:52 AM
not that im a sooner fan but to be fair the sooners are much more than football...their basketball team was great this year and their baseball team is doing quite well....im not sure about other sports but typically the sooners program overall is quite good...

cshscougar08
05-05-2009, 02:05 PM
Redoing it to include all texas teams.

1. Texas(Overall)
2. A&M(Overall)
3. Oklahoma(Football)
4. Baylor(Overall)
5. Rice(Baseball)
6. Houston(Phi Slamma Jamma)
7. Texas Tech
8. TCU
9. North Texas
10. Tulsa
11. UTEP
12. SMU

A&M overall and OU only football?!?! BAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Good one.

Electus Unus
05-05-2009, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by cshscougar08
A&M overall and OU only football?!?! BAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Good one. Track, Baseball, Softball, Academics > OKlahoma in the same category.

Keith7
05-05-2009, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic

Baylor
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
TCU
Texas
Texas A&M
Texas Tech

No North Texas? SMU? UTEP? Tulsa? this poll is a joke

cshscougar08
05-05-2009, 02:15 PM
Track, Baseball, Softball, Academics > OKlahoma in the same category.

OU softball= Big 12 Champs
OU baseball= TBD
Track= in some events
Academics= in some fields.

sahen
05-05-2009, 02:30 PM
academics is a sport? thats new to me...academics counts the whole school, if your gonna include academics in this maybe you should just do the athletes academics...in which part everyone knows how that goes...football is bad, basketball is ok, the rest of the sports most of guys/gals graduate....

Electus Unus
05-05-2009, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by sahen
academics is a sport? thats new to me...academics counts the whole school, if your gonna include academics in this maybe you should just do the athletes academics...in which part everyone knows how that goes...football is bad, basketball is ok, the rest of the sports most of guys/gals graduate.... Graduation rates are a big part of college sports.

Bullaholic
05-05-2009, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
No North Texas? SMU? UTEP? Tulsa? this poll is a joke

O.k., we need a good laugh---let's see yours Bird Boy. :D

sahen
05-05-2009, 02:37 PM
Track, Baseball, Softball, Academics > OKlahoma in the same category.

OU is football, basketball, softball (they are number 1 right now, a&m is 6 in the big 12), men's basketball, women's basketball > A&M

A&M is men's and women's tennis, soccer, volleyball > OU

Baseball is a push as of this week, A&M has a 1 game lead in the Big 12 Standings over OU but thats hardly enough to give them the edge with a couple weeks left of the season....OU is 35-14 (12-9) while A&M is 31-16 (13-8)

i got this info from big12sports.com and went by the standings...

sahen
05-05-2009, 02:39 PM
Graduation rates are a big part of college sports.

and almost every school graduates almost every athlete minus their football and basketball teams...basketball because they go pro and screw up (going pro affects grad rates much higher in basketball due to the low number of players) and football cause well they dont cut it for whatever reason and a couple go pro...the graduation rates between OU and A&M are probably not that different outside of football i would be willing to bet, i dont have the info in front of me....

Electus Unus
05-05-2009, 02:45 PM
Your looking at present day....i'm talking the past 20-30 years

sahen
05-05-2009, 02:54 PM
Your looking at present day....i'm talking the past 20-30 years

nm...its not worth the argument here...you have your opinoin and i have mine

Pick6
05-05-2009, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by sahen
nm...its not worth the argument here..

You are so right on that. His facts will eventually change to help his argument.

wtfootball
05-05-2009, 10:17 PM
1. Texas A&M
2. Everyone else
Last. TU

cshscougar08
05-05-2009, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by wtfootball
1. Texas A&M
2. Everyone else
Last. TU

Wow that's not biased at all. :rolleyes:

I. B. Watching
05-06-2009, 08:31 AM
I would almost bet the house that the graduation rates for major university athletic teams is better than the general student body graduation rate of the school.

sahen
05-06-2009, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by I. B. Watching
I would almost bet the house that the graduation rates for major university athletic teams is better than the general student body graduation rate of the school.

depends on if you do it per school or take all major universities and average them together...some schools (most of the powers in football) have pretty scarey football graduation rates (less than or close to 50%) add in baseball, another sport with a lot of kids, and you have two sports that typically have lower graduation rates...i dunno if the rest of sports are enough to average it out where they are higher but yes, outside of football, baseball, and basketball student athletes graduate at a much higher rate than the general student population at most schools...

I. B. Watching
05-06-2009, 11:47 AM
I just remember how many freshmen tend to drop out and never return to school. And then you lose another group as sophomores. Some kids that drop out or take a break, do eventually finish, just like some football players eventually finish, just not in 6 years, or whatever the criteria is.

rooster
05-07-2009, 10:06 AM
Based on Big 12 championships in the past 5 years in all sports: Texas-42 Baylor-25 A&M-23 Oklahoma-22 Nebraska-21.