PDA

View Full Version : School Closings- Swine Flu

Bullaholic
05-04-2009, 12:17 PM
Holy smoke--the whole world has shut down....

WISE COUNTY MESSENGER
Update for Monday, May 4, 2009
MORE SCHOOLS CLOSE - Every public school in Wise County is closed today due to the threat of swine flu. Boyd and Paradise are the latest to cancel classes due to suspected cases of swine flu in their districts. Bridgeport ISD announced late Sunday afternoon that a suspected case of swine flu in the district has been elevated to the status of "highly probable," leading to the district's decision to close school until May 11. Decatur ISD will be closed today and tomorrow due to a suspected case of swine flu. According to a letter by Superintendent Gary Gindt, that will provide time for lab results to be completed to determine if one of "several cases" of students testing positive for Type A influenza is swine flu. The Northwest school district announced late Saturday that the suspected case of swine flu at Chisholm Trail Middle School in Rhome has been upgraded to a "highly probable" case, prompting the district to close Chisholm Trail Middle School until May 11. Seven Hills Elementary will also be closed this week because that is where a sibling who has also exhibited flu-like symptoms attends classes. Boyd ISD will be closed today and tomorrow. While the district has no reported cases of swine flu, all district buildings will be disinfected. Here is the list of Wise County schools and the status of each as of 7 a.m.: Alvord, Bridgeport, Paradise, Slidell, Chisholm Trail Middle School, Seven Hills Elementary and Chico Elementary are closed until May 11 (Chico Middle and High Schools remain open); Decatur and Boyd are closed today and tomorrow.

SWINE FLU CANCELLATIONS - The Wise County Youth baseball and softball associations have canceled all games and practices until May 11. All Wise County Recreation Softball and Baseball games and practices have been postponed until May 11. All of Bridgeport Recreation Soccer has been postponed as well. The Wise County Olympathon originally scheduled for Tuesday has been postponed until after May 11. First Baptist Church of Bridgeport is closing the First Friends Mother's Day Out Day Care until Tuesday, May 12.

garciap77
05-04-2009, 12:23 PM
Are the schools that closed going to have to stay open longer into the summer, to make up for time lost?

marler1972
05-04-2009, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
Are the schools that closed going to have to stay open longer into the summer, to make up for time lost?

From What I have heard no they will not have to make up the days.

garciap77
05-04-2009, 12:33 PM
Good they don't! Thanks for the info.

JasperDog94
05-04-2009, 12:37 PM
Schools that close will have to apply for a waiver from the state. In a situation like this it will most likely be granted.

marler1972
05-04-2009, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
Good they don't! Thanks for the info.

Here is some info from the TEA website I found on the swine flu and closures.

H1N1 Flu (Swine Flu) Frequently Asked Questions
(Updated May 3, 2009)
General closure questions

Why are schools closing when there are so few confirmed cases?
Closings are based on guidance from the Department of State Health Services and in turn, local health departments. It is important to close schools when there is a confirmed case of H1N1 or swine flu because children are more susceptible than adults to infection and, compared with adults, children usually shed more influenza virus, and they shed for a longer period. By closing schools, officials are attempting to reduce the spread of the virus through a process know as “social distancing.” Social distancing reduces the opportunities for children to be around other children with whom they generally socialize.

Why aren’t schools closing statewide because of this threat?
At this time, school closure is determined locally based on cases of detected swine flu as recommended by the Center for Disease Control.

What is the school notification process relating to H1N1? Will schools learn about flu cases from the doctor, the local health department office or others?
Schools officials may be made aware of cases from a variety of sources, including: doctors, hospitals and local health officials. District and TEA officials are in constant communication with the state and local health departments to stay appraised.

Schools in my neighboring district have closed. Should I close my schools?
Not necessarily. The superintendant and local school board, in consultation with local health officials, are responsible for making the determination on closure of a campus or district based on H1N1 cases in their area.

Where do schools get information on cleaning, such as what to clean, how often to clean and what products to use?
The Department of State Health Service has guidance on the prevention of flu on their Web site at http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/swineflu/default.shtm.

When can my school and/or district resume classes?
A local school board that believes the student population of its district (or campus) is no longer at risk can make the determination to re-open schools. This determination should be made in consultation with the local health department and all facts should be considered. Unless the local health department has ordered the campus or district closed, re-opening is a decision that rests solely upon the local school board.

If children from closed districts or campuses ask to enroll in my district which remains open, what should I do?
This is a local decision that district officials should make in consultation with local health officials. If a student has actually moved, he or she should be enrolled following normal procedures. If the student is believed to have the flu, please consult local health officials to determine how to proceed. If a student is temporarily staying with family or friends for purposing of attending school, he/she does not meet the legal definition of “homeless” and will not meet the entitlement to enroll under Section 25.001 of the Texas Education Code. A district should evaluate the eligibility of each potential student to enroll under Sec. 25.001 of the education following its standard procedures.
Attendance

If school is cancelled because of the flu outbreak, will it be necessary to make up the missed days?
This is a local decision. Districts may wish to use their bad weather make-up days or extend the school year. However, they may seek a waiver from the Texas Education Agency, which would allow them to shorten the number of instructional days without suffering a financial penalty if approved. Waiver applications for both missed instructional days and low attendance are available at http://www.tea.state.tx.us/waivers/waiverapps.html.

My children’s schools remains open but I want to keep them home. Will there be a penalty, such as unexcused absences, a fine, etc?
School attendance is important under state law in two contexts. First, a student loses class credit if the student has too many absences (the “90% rule”). Since your school is open, the absence will count toward the number of absences that result in lost credit. The school is required to have options for ways a student may regain credit. Please consult your school’s policy regarding lost credit due to absences.
Second, certain numbers of unexcused absences within a certain period of time results in a criminal offense punishable by fine. Whether an absence under this circumstance is excused will be determined by your local school officials under local policy.
If the absence is classified as unexcused by your school, there might be limitations under local school policy on the grade your student can receive when missed work is completed. Please contact your local district office for more information.

Will schools extend the school year into the summer to make up lost days?
That is a local decision. See the answer to question 1 under the attendance section.

Is my school closed?
Check with your local district or media outlets for the most up-to-date news as the status can rapidly change. TEA is posting a list of school closures based on information we are receiving from districts at http://ritter.tea.state.tx.us/swineflu/schclosings.html but it may not be as current as local listings.

Should schools cancel field trips and other events that involve large gatherings of people?
Not necessarily. Local district leadership, in consultation with their local health officials, must make the determination on cancelation of field trips and other events.
Testing

My school was closed on TAKS testing days. Will there be testing make-up days?
Schools that were closed during TAKS testing will administer the tests during the first week when school reopens.

I’m a senior and haven’t yet passed all the TAKS exit-level exams. My school was closed when some of the retests were given. What do I do?
Ensuring that graduating seniors have an opportunity to take the TAKS exit level retests is a priority of both the state and local districts. Seniors in schools that were closed during TAKS testing will be given an opportunity to take the retests during the first week when school reopens.

Is there a point at which it’s too late to make up the test? If so, when?
Testing graduating seniors is a top priority. TEA will work with districts to make arrangements for those students to test up to a week before graduation. For all other TAKS tests, TEA is asking that schools complete testing no later than the end of the first week after school reopens.

How are the students affected if they can’t make up the test?
Graduating seniors will still need to pass all four TAKS exit level tests in order to receive a diploma. If students in grades 5 or 8 miss the opportunity to retest in mathematics in May, they will still have an opportunity to retest on June 30th.

What will happen to the school’s accountability rating if they don’t have test results?
It is anticipated that districts that were closed due to the flu outbreak during the week of April 27 will have an opportunity to administer the TAKS assessments during the first week the school reopens. These results will be included in the state and federal
accountability systems with all of the other assessment results from the spring 2009 test administrations.

If we reschedule tests, will that impact the release of tests results in late May?
TEA is working closely with its testing contractor to ensure that scores are reported as close to the published deadlines as possible.
Financial impact

Will districts suffer a financial penalty because of days they are closed?
School districts that seek and receive approval to waive days of missed or low attendance will not suffer a penalty in their funding related to attendance. Districts must apply for the waiver; it will not be automatically given.
UIL activities

Have University Interscholastic League activities been cancelled or rescheduled?
UIL has, at this time, postponed all upcoming activities through May 11, 2009. For frequent updates and the most updated information regarding the status of events, visit UIL’s Web site at http://www.uil.utexas.edu/.

garciap77
05-04-2009, 12:41 PM
Thanks marler1972!

Ranger Mom
05-04-2009, 01:50 PM
Greenwood kids are getting highly disappointed at all the school closings.:)

So far, we have had ZERO confirmed cases of the swine flu in the Permian Basin.....it is hard for the students to under that it is actually a good thing!!:D

Emerson1
05-04-2009, 01:53 PM
They shouldn't have to. After the TAKS you are just killing time until summer.

pirate4state
05-04-2009, 03:01 PM
I just don't understand this! Shutting schools down isn't gonna stop these kids from interacting!

Sweetwater Red
05-04-2009, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
I just don't understand this! Shutting schools down isn't gonna stop these kids from interacting!

:thinking:

http://ktxs.com/

Merkel Officials Urge Calm Over Probable Causes

MERKEL -- Both the town of Merkel Superintendent and Trent Mayor are urging residents to remain calm over eight probable Swine Flu cases in Merkel. All eight samples have been sent to the Centers for Disease Control in Atlanta for further testing. Those who have possibly contracted the virus are all children between the ages of 4 and 11, none of which are related. One student attends Merkel Intermediate School, the other five attend Merkel Elementary. Merkel Superintendent Bill Hood says he is sorry for this inconvenience, but says he wants to prevent the virus from spreading. Both Trent, and Merkel schools will be closed until May 11th. Last night, Taylor County officials notified the public of the six probable cases.

For those of you that don't know Merkel is 17 miles west of
Abilene and Trent is 24 on I-20.

Bullaholic
05-04-2009, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state

You're right, P4S---I used to "interact" regularly anytime when I was out of school.....:D

44INAROW
05-04-2009, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
You're right, P4S---I used to "interact" regularly anytime when I was out of school.....:D
I did some of my best interacting out of school :D

pirate4state
05-04-2009, 03:29 PM
You're right, P4S---I used to "interact" regularly anytime when I was out of school.....:D :tisk: :tisk:

Lots of risk to exposure!

:D

Phil C
05-04-2009, 03:39 PM
This area is going crazy with hysteria! I'm getting out of here for a few days.

Bullaholic
05-04-2009, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
This area is going crazy with hysteria! I'm getting out of here for a few days.

Where to?---Mexico??? :D

Phil C
05-04-2009, 05:03 PM
Where to?---Mexico??? :D

No up North but good one Bull! :) :clap:

HEMOTOXIC
05-04-2009, 06:32 PM
Navasota ISD is closed til May 11th.

3afan
05-05-2009, 08:53 AM
I heard Kaufman was closing 'til the 18th

TarponFanInNorthTexas
05-05-2009, 09:07 AM
I read on the RGV site that Rio Hondo is closed until the 18th of May.

No closings in Port Isabel as of yet, or any of the other 3A schools down in the RGV.

bulldogs_1975
05-05-2009, 09:24 AM
Some of these school closing down until the 18th of May, are they going to be allowed to do UIL activities after the 11th? I am still really really confused as to why schools are closing down for 10 and 15 days when all those kids are going to do is get together and still have the possiblity of spreading the virus. I understand being cautious but closing until the 18th is probably just going to make it worse.