PDA

View Full Version : House committee hears BCS official

Sweetwater Red
05-01-2009, 12:53 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4121294

WASHINGTON -- A congressman who wants to see college football adopt a playoff system is comparing the Bowl Championship Series to communism.

Republican Rep. Joe Barton of Texas said Friday that efforts to tinker with the BCS are bound to fail. He told a House hearing that the BCS is like communism and can't be fixed.

Barton has introduced legislation that would prevent the NCAA from labeling a game a national championship unless it's the outcome of a playoff system.

The coordinator of the BCS told the panel Friday that a switch to a playoff system -- favored by fans, President Barack Obama and some lawmakers -- would threaten the existence of celebrated bowl games.

Sponsorships and TV revenue that now go to bowl games would instead be spent on playoff games, "meaning that it will be very difficult for any bowl, including the current BCS bowls, which are among the oldest and most established in the game's history, to survive," BCS coordinator John Swofford said in prepared testimony. "Certainly the 29 games that are not part of the BCS would be in peril."

Swofford was appearing before the House Energy and Commerce Committee's commerce, trade and consumer protection subcommittee, some of whose members back legislation aimed at prodding the BCS to switch to a playoff system.

Under the BCS, some conferences get automatic bids to participate, and others do not. Conferences that get an automatic bid -- the ACC, Big East, Big 12, Big Ten, Pac-10 and SEC -- get about $18 million each, far more than the non-conference schools. Swofford is also commissioner of the ACC.

Craig Thompson, commissioner of the Mountain West Commission, which does not get an automatic bid, said in prepared testimony that the current system is patently unfair.

"Such economic disparities and anomalies cannot be justified and should not continue," he said. "Many have said the current BCS system ensures a permanent underclass. They are right."

The MWC has proposed a playoff system and hired a Washington firm to lobby Congress for changes to the BCS, which currently features a championship game between the two top teams in the BCS standings, based on two polls and six computer ratings.

The MWC proposes, among others things, scrapping the BCS standings and creating a 12-member committee to pick which teams receive at-large bids, and to select and seed the eight teams chosen for the playoff. The BCS has previously discussed, and dismissed, the idea of using a selection committee.

The four current BCS games -- the Sugar, Orange, Rose and Fiesta bowls -- would host the four first-round playoff games under the proposal. Thompson argued that a playoff system would be a boon for those bowls, because they would help determine the national champion.

Thompson said that under the current system, teams that don't come from a conference with a guaranteed bid have no realistic chance of winning a BCS championship.

Swofford argued that criticism that the BCS guarantees berths and money to only some conferences "states the situation exactly backward." Prior to the BCS, he said, the conferences that now have automatic bids were guaranteed an attractive bowl slot for its champion.

"If the BCS were to disappear tomorrow, each of those conferences would return to the marketplace and obtain a similarly attractive bowl slot on its own through individual negotiation, most likely in one of the current BCS games," he said. But there would no longer be guaranteed annual bowl game pairing the top two ranked teams.

The BCS is in its final season of a four-year deal with the Fox network. A new four-year deal with ESPN, worth $125 million per year, begins with the 2011 bowl games.

The BCS has come under attack from a range of politicians. Last November, then President-elect Obama told "60 Minutes" he would prefer an eight-team playoff system.

"I don't know any serious fan of college football who has disagreed with me on this," he said then. "So I'm going to throw my weight around a little bit."

In the Senate, Utah Republican Orrin Hatch has put the BCS on the agenda for the Judiciary's antitrust subcommittee this year, and Utah's attorney general, Mark Shurtleff, is investigating whether the BCS violates federal antitrust laws.

Fans were furious that Utah was bypassed for the national championship despite going undefeated in the regular season. The title game pitted No. 1 Florida (12-1) against No. 2 Oklahoma (12-1); Florida won 24-14 and claimed the title.

STANG RED
05-01-2009, 02:40 PM
As much as I hate the BCS system, I hate more government interference even more. Maybe they should be putting their efforts into solving the economic mess they are largely responsible for, before trying to screw something else up, more than it already is. I have no doubt, the politician’s solutions would end up being even worse than the BCS could ever be.

Emerson1
05-01-2009, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
I have no doubt, the politician’s solutions would end up being even worse than the BCS could ever be.
I really don't think that is feasible. Nothing could possibly be worse then the BCS.

sinfan75
05-01-2009, 05:55 PM
Does anyone want the government to decide whether college football should have a play-off system? This has NOTHING to do with government. I say it's none of their damn business. Leave it alone and let the college bigwigs decide.

LH Panther Mom
05-01-2009, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by sinfan75
Does anyone want the government to decide whether college football should have a play-off system? This has NOTHING to do with government. I say it's none of their damn business. Leave it alone and let the college bigwigs decide.
I'm going to have to agree with that!

kepdawg
05-01-2009, 06:00 PM

Yes, I do!

JasperDog94
05-02-2009, 12:36 AM
Does anyone want the government to decide whether college football should have a play-off system? This has NOTHING to do with government. I say it's none of their damn business. Leave it alone and let the college bigwigs decide. Remember that it was congress that exposed baseball's steroid problem.

Plus the more time they're talking about this kind of stuff, the less of my money they can waste on pet projects. ;)

Emerson1
05-02-2009, 12:53 AM
It kind of does. If STATE schools are getting screwed out of tens of millions of dollars because of a bias system...

Trashman
05-02-2009, 04:35 AM
If a government investigation forces the NCAA to develope a legitimate playoff system (16 teams). I'm all for it; but i don't want the government developing or running it.

catgut
05-02-2009, 07:27 AM
The BCS is a conspiracy and has been for a few years now. Jack Bauer needs to be called to look into it immediately, before he dies!

JasperDog94
05-02-2009, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Trashman
If a government investigation forces the NCAA to develope a legitimate playoff system (16 teams). I'm all for it; but i don't want the government developing or running it. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Black_Magic
05-02-2009, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
As much as I hate the BCS system, I hate more government interference even more. Maybe they should be putting their efforts into solving the economic mess they are largely responsible for, before trying to screw something else up, more than it already is. I have no doubt, the politician’s solutions would end up being even worse than the BCS could ever be. Funny how some polititans think government should stay out of our business but then in other things should get more involved on some other things.....:thinking:

Electus Unus
05-02-2009, 02:36 PM
I enjoy watching two 7-5 teams going head to head in the NobodyGivesADamn.com Bowl

16 team tournament is too much. 8 teams is the most fair and legit way to go out doing it.

Phil C
05-02-2009, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Electus Unus
I enjoy watching two 7-5 teams going head to head in the NobodyGivesADamn.com Bowl

16 team tournament is too much. 8 teams is the most fair and legit way to go out doing it.

I agree with the 8 team set up. That would leave pleanty of good teams for bowls after all a six win Notre Dame team got invited last year.

Electus Unus
05-02-2009, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
I agree with the 8 team set up. That would leave pleanty of good teams for bowls after all a six win Notre Dame team got invited last year. Phil please do not talk about Notre Dame like that! I admire the Catholic church!