PDA

View Full Version : If you're afraid of catching the flu buy some of this....

bwdlionfan
04-30-2009, 07:57 PM
I used to manage a nutritional/health store and while working there I learned a great deal about various herbs. One in particular is the herb Elderberry. Where the flu vaccine protects against 1-2 strains of the flu virus, elderberry has been tested against 8 different strains and has protected against all of them including bird flu. I doubt it's been tested on the swine flu yet, but it's worth a shot to stay healthy. It works similar to Tamiflu, only it's natural. There is a specific protein that the flu virus requires before it can invade a cell in your body. Elderberry contains a protein that I believe binds to this protein that the flu virus needs, thus preventing it from being able to enter the cell. Elderberry can be taken 500mg-1500mg per day and has no known drug interactions and is safe for all ages. I'd probably lower the dosage some for younger children though. It can be taken as a preventive to prevent flu and/or it can be taken once you catch the flu to shorten the duration of your illness. This stuff can't be bought at Wal-Mart, CVS, or Wal-Greens.... you have to get it at Vitamin World, GNC, Vitamin Shoppe, or a local health food store. It sells for $9.99 at Vitamin World ($7.99 for members), and the bottle contains 100 capsules at 400mg. I'm not sure on the retail at GNC or Vitamin Shoppe. I've taken this stuff for years.

LH Panther Mom
04-30-2009, 08:02 PM
I'm not necessarily afraid of catching it, but it would be a pain in the rear at this time of year to get it.

Thanks for the info!

zebrablue2
04-30-2009, 08:31 PM
good info. what is your thought on apple cidar vinegar??

turbostud
04-30-2009, 09:05 PM
"your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries."

sinfan75
04-30-2009, 09:40 PM
What's your thought on Jack and water vs. the flu? Better yet a hot tottie? :D

SintonFan
04-30-2009, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by sinfan75
What's your thought on Jack and water vs. the flu? Better yet a hot tottie? :D
Ahh heck sinfan75. It works great for those in the "know". If you try some Jack and anything or a few hot toddies it doesn't what you feel like the next morning. You gonna feel crap anyway so it's better to make the best of it.:D

bwdlionfan
04-30-2009, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by zebrablue2
good info. what is your thought on apple cidar vinegar??

Are you talking about for weight loss? We never really sold very much of it. I had an ex girlfriend who heard somewhere it helped with acne.... but it's not something I ever read up on much as most of the customers didn't really seem that interested in it. We sold it as a weight loss supplement though.

zebrablue2
04-30-2009, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by bwdlionfan
Are you talking about for weight loss? We never really sold very much of it. I had an ex girlfriend who heard somewhere it helped with acne.... but it's not something I ever read up on much as most of the customers didn't really seem that interested in it. We sold it as a weight loss supplement though.

if you read up on ACV, it is a very good bacteria killer. treated lots of sickness back in the old days. that is why i asked.... don't think a lot of people know about it..

charlesrixey
05-01-2009, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by turbostud

stole the words out of my mouth!

bwdlionfan
05-01-2009, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by zebrablue2
if you read up on ACV, it is a very good bacteria killer. treated lots of sickness back in the old days. that is why i asked.... don't think a lot of people know about it..

I've read that it's kind of like a cleanser? We sold it in pill form and in liquid form. The liquid tastes awful (I tried a bit back when my old g/f was taking it). Lots of natural products have antibacterial properties... I guess Apple Cider may be one of them. Others that have antibacterial properties are Echinacea, Goldenseal, Garlic, and others. Don't forget antibacterial won't help with the flu though as it's a virus. Elderberry and Turmeric are both herbs that are antiviral. There have been studies on Colloidal Silver indicating that it is antimicrobial and antiviral both but I think that stuff works more in theory than in the studies.

When it all comes down to it, a good multivitamin (not Centrum) and a vitamin C (taken several hours apart) will go a long way in keeping you healthy.

ASUFrisbeeStud
05-01-2009, 09:38 AM
I've read that it's kind of like a cleanser? We sold it in pill form and in liquid form. The liquid tastes awful (I tried a bit back when my old g/f was taking it). Lots of natural products have antibacterial properties... I guess Apple Cider may be one of them. Others that have antibacterial properties are Echinacea, Goldenseal, Garlic, and others. Don't forget antibacterial won't help with the flu though as it's a virus. Elderberry and Turmeric are both herbs that are antiviral. There have been studies on Colloidal Silver indicating that it is antimicrobial and antiviral both but I think that stuff works more in theory than in the studies.

When it all comes down to it, a good multivitamin (not Centrum) and a vitamin C (taken several hours apart) will go a long way in keeping you healthy. .

When I get tired and worn out instead of drinking an energy drink I mix a little ACV with some Honey or stevia and about 8 ounces of water and throw it down the hatch and it has some great pick me up properties too.

PPSTATEBOUND
05-01-2009, 11:51 AM

When it all comes down to it, a good multivitamin (not Centrum) and a vitamin C (taken several hours apart) will go a long way in keeping you healthy.

Whats up with centrum?

BEAST
05-01-2009, 12:44 PM
I used to manage a nutritional/health store and while working there I learned a great deal about various herbs. One in particular is the herb Elderberry. Where the flu vaccine protects against 1-2 strains of the flu virus, elderberry has been tested against 8 different strains and has protected against all of them including bird flu. I doubt it's been tested on the swine flu yet, but it's worth a shot to stay healthy. It works similar to Tamiflu, only it's natural. There is a specific protein that the flu virus requires before it can invade a cell in your body. Elderberry contains a protein that I believe binds to this protein that the flu virus needs, thus preventing it from being able to enter the cell. Elderberry can be taken 500mg-1500mg per day and has no known drug interactions and is safe for all ages. I'd probably lower the dosage some for younger children though. It can be taken as a preventive to prevent flu and/or it can be taken once you catch the flu to shorten the duration of your illness. This stuff can't be bought at Wal-Mart, CVS, or Wal-Greens.... you have to get it at Vitamin World, GNC, Vitamin Shoppe, or a local health food store. It sells for $9.99 at Vitamin World ($7.99 for members), and the bottle contains 100 capsules at 400mg. I'm not sure on the retail at GNC or Vitamin Shoppe. I've taken this stuff for years.

So went and got some Elderberry. Mine is 575mg and it says for me to take 2 twice a day. I have 3 younguns, what do you suggest I give them, 1 a day?

BEAST

bwdlionfan
05-01-2009, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by PPSTATEBOUND
Whats up with centrum?

Centrum is an ok vitamin at best... but if you want something a lot better look at the Mega Man at GNC or the Ultra Man at Vitamin World. (for men... I forget the names of the ones for women)... Centrum basically gives you 100% of all the recommended vitamins and some minerals.... these other two give you more than 100% of them along with herbs. Some people will argue why they should take more than 100% of what's recommended... when in reality who's to say that your particular body only needs exactly 100% of a vitamin. It's better to have too much than not enough as if you take too much your body will just get rid of it (with the exception of vitamins A, D, E, K).

bwdlionfan
05-01-2009, 12:54 PM
One example is Centrum gives you 60 mg of Vitamin C which is 100% of the daily value you need according to the FDA. Most Vitamin C pills contain 500 mg of Vitamin C which is 833% of your daily value. I've seen Vitamin C pills as high as 1,500 mg... and I've known people to take as much as 10,000 mg per day (based on certain health reasons). These vitamins that you can get at GNC, Vitamin World, etc usually have around 300 mg of Vitamin C... much better than the 60 you get from Centrum.

PPSTATEBOUND
05-01-2009, 12:58 PM
Oh man I thank you....bwdlionfan......
:)

bwdlionfan
05-01-2009, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by BEAST
So went and got some Elderberry. Mine is 575mg and it says for me to take 2 twice a day. I have 3 younguns, what do you suggest I give them, 1 a day?

BEAST

Sorry Beast I missed your post... yours are pretty young aren't they? I'd just go one a day.

BEAST
05-01-2009, 01:59 PM
Sorry Beast I missed your post... yours are pretty young aren't they? I'd just go one a day.

9,6, & 4.

BEAST

bwdlionfan
05-01-2009, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by BEAST
9,6, & 4.

BEAST

Yea I'd probably go one

BEAST
05-01-2009, 02:52 PM
Yea I'd probably go one

Thanks

BEAST

sinfan75
05-01-2009, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Ahh heck sinfan75. It works great for those in the "know". If you try some Jack and anything or a few hot toddies it doesn't what you feel like the next morning. You gonna feel crap anyway so it's better to make the best of it.:D When I had the flu at 10 that's what my doctor prescribed. The old remedies do work. Ain't you ever heard your doctor say when you were a kid take half an aspirin and gargle with warm salt water and grease the chest with vicks if you had a sore throat?

SintonFan
05-01-2009, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by sinfan75
When I had the flu at 10 that's what my doctor prescribed. The old remedies do work. Ain't you ever heard your doctor say when you were a kid take half an aspirin and gargle with warm salt water and grease the chest with vicks if you had a sore throat?
I think we had the same doctor. lol
:nerd:

sinfan75
05-01-2009, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
I think we had the same doctor. lol
:nerd: Doctor John and Doctor Rose?

PPHSfan
05-01-2009, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by turbostud

LOL, you beat me to it.

bwdlionfan
05-03-2009, 09:41 AM
Here I was telling you all to take Elderberry and now I'm sick!

I woke up Saturday around 8 AM and felt the need to throw up all day. I held it in til 6 Saturday night before I finally did and afterwords I wished I hadn't held it in all day. Made me feel a lot better to go ahead and do it. I had chills/sweats all day Saturday but no fever until around 5 PM, when it only went up to 99.2, but it continued to rise and finally about 10:30PM was at 100.8 so I took some tylenol. My temp was at 99.4 at 8AM this morning when I woke up, so hopefully it'll stay down as I haven't had any tylenol since last night. I've been taking my elderberry though, I don't know if this is flu or not. I'm going to the doctor tomorrow if I still feel bad.

aggiejwp
05-03-2009, 09:52 AM
Is it bad that as a school teacher I really want one of our kids to either be recovering from it at home or have just gotten. We were informed by our superintendent that if one student gets the Swine Flu, we'll be out of school for at least five days. And since Texas was a disaster area, we won't have to make it up.

bwdlionfan
05-03-2009, 10:03 AM
Heck is it bad that I'm hoping Swine Flu is what I've got? I graduate in 2 weeks from grad school at UNT, but one of my classes is at Frisco ISD... I'm wondering if I'd shut down UNT and Frisco ISD??

Old Cardinal
05-03-2009, 08:56 PM
SWANSON VITAMINS---1 800 437 4148
OR www.swansonvitamins.com

Item# D8 SW 1044 Elderberry 575 mg
120 caps $ 4.99 + shipping cost.

They have had a rush and are all out of Elderberry-- in syrup form.

This is pretty great flu protection.

An interesting aside: these berries have the highest Vitamin C level per gram weight than any fruit source in the world.

bwdlionfan
05-03-2009, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Old Cardinal
SWANSON VITAMINS---1 800 437 4148
OR www.swansonvitamins.com

Item# D8 SW 1044 Elderberry 575 mg
120 caps $ 4.99 + shipping cost.

They have had a rush and are all out of Elderberry-- in syrup form.

This is pretty great flu protection.

An interesting aside: these berries have the highest Vitamin C level per gram weight that any fruit source in the world.

That's an excellent price

mustang04
05-04-2009, 12:34 PM
Heck is it bad that I'm hoping Swine Flu is what I've got? I graduate in 2 weeks from grad school at UNT, but one of my classes is at Frisco ISD... I'm wondering if I'd shut down UNT and Frisco ISD??

haha i was thinking the same thing yesterday cuz i started getting sick and had to go to the ER....just turned out to be severe Pharyngitis....i have so much to do b4 i graduate in 2 weeks and i was thinking swine flu just might have bailed me out of a 10 page paper and a couple of finals and quizzes

westtxfballfan
05-04-2009, 12:43 PM
Just have your granny rub an egg on your forehead if you catch it, and - unless the curse is too strong* - you should be fine by the next day. (*Might have to go to the curandera to get well if the curse is too strong.);)

garciap77
05-04-2009, 12:45 PM

How did your classes go?

bwdlionfan
05-05-2009, 09:27 AM
My classes aren't til Wed and Thurs.... still hoping someone gets closed down!