http://www.prepstexas.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2920

State Meet - June 5-6

I-3A May 22,23 Texas Tech University
II-3A May 15,16 Texas A&M Commerce
III-3A May 15,16 Humble ISD
IV-3A May 19, 20 Flour Bluff ISD

pirate4state
04-30-2009, 05:15 PM
http://www.uil.utexas.edu/db/press_release_detail.lasso?-Search=Action&-Table=table&-Database=press_releases&-KeyValue=313

I. B. Watching
04-30-2009, 05:19 PM
the state meet date should coincide nicely with some high school graduations

kepdawg
04-30-2009, 05:19 PM
Boo! No state meet for me. At least everybody gets to compete.

GrTigers6
04-30-2009, 05:51 PM
that's good that they have figured it out but that makes it tough to schedule baseball playoff games around the track regional qualifiers. But thats better than scrapping it all together.:)

Rabid Cougar
04-30-2009, 07:11 PM
State Meet is on June 5th and 6th.

I am sorry but I would have prefered to leave the State Meet when it was scheduled and scrap the Regionals.

Going to State is no shoe-in but I would have liked to have seen my son go for the third straight year. Now there is no chance.

Have had a Graduation trip booked for 6 months with four other families...

GreenMonster
04-30-2009, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Rabid Cougar
State Meet is on June 5th and 6th.

I am sorry but I would have prefered to leave the State Meet when it was scheduled and scrap the Regionals.

Going to State is no shoe-in but I would have liked to have seen my son go for the third straight year. Now there is no chance.

Have had a Graduation trip booked for 6 months with four other families... This is precisely why you buy trip insurance. My priorities would still be the track meet for my kid even if I didn't have trip insurance. If he works hard enough to get there, then in my opinion he needs to follow through on that committment that he made to himself and his teammates, we can take another trip at another time.

cshscougar08
05-01-2009, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
This is precisely why you buy trip insurance. My priorities would still be the track meet for my kid even if I didn't have trip insurance. If he works hard enough to get there, then in my opinion he needs to follow through on that committment that he made to himself and his teammates, we can take another trip at another time.

This is also the line where we look at whether or not we're ridiculously obsessed about playing a sport. I agree with Rabid's assessment. You planned that trip, circumstances beyond your control threw something on top of it, you stick to your first commitment. I'm sure his son also made that commitment to the family when the trip was laid out. I'll stick to family and friends over state any day.

pancho villa
05-01-2009, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by cshscougar08
This is also the line where we look at whether or not we're ridiculously obsessed about playing a sport. I agree with Rabid's assessment. You planned that trip, circumstances beyond your control threw something on top of it, you stick to your first commitment. I'm sure his son also made that commitment to the family when the trip was laid out. I'll stick to family and friends over state any day.

We would go to the state meet at our house. No brainer.

scrub c
05-01-2009, 07:50 AM
Ahhh...

The scramble for hotel rooms in corpus and other region sites is ON like DONKEY KONG!!!!!!!!

scrub c
05-01-2009, 07:51 AM
And dont forget about the STATE meet, getting a HOTEL room is Austin is a crap shoot any way....

Ranger Mom
05-01-2009, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by scrub c
And dont forget about the STATE meet, getting a HOTEL room is Austin is a crap shoot any way....

I have been to the state track meet the past 3 years and have never had a problem finding a hotel room!:confused:

pirate4state
05-01-2009, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by scrub c
And dont forget about the STATE meet, getting a HOTEL room is Austin is a crap shoot any way.... I'm sooooo glad I have family in Kyle, just south of Austin! :inlove:

Ranger Mom
05-01-2009, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
I'm sooooo glad I have family in Kyle, just south of Austin! :inlove:

I have family in Leander, but I have never been invited to stay with them! :(

GreenMonster
05-01-2009, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by cshscougar08
This is also the line where we look at whether or not we're ridiculously obsessed about playing a sport. I agree with Rabid's assessment. You planned that trip, circumstances beyond your control threw something on top of it, you stick to your first commitment. I'm sure his son also made that commitment to the family when the trip was laid out. I'll stick to family and friends over state any day. I'm glad you feel that way, but does your son feel that way as well? He could look at it as, "my parents don't think I have a chance to win state." Which in my book translates as parent looking after their own wants of going on a vacation instead of sucking it up and supporting their son. Do what you feel is right, as I am sure that you will, and don't think that I'm bad mouthing you at all. I have no idea your circumstances or family discussions, I'm simply playing devils advocate here. I'm sure you guys have covered all the bases and everyone is in agreement or you might feel differently. I also know that high school kids will tell you what you want to hear if they feel pressure to agree with you, too.

pancho villa
05-01-2009, 10:25 AM
I'm glad you feel that way, but does your son feel that way as well? He could look at it as, "my parents don't think I have a chance to win state." Which in my book translates as parent looking after their own wants of going on a vacation instead of sucking it up and supporting their son. Do what you feel is right, as I am sure that you will, and don't think that I'm bad mouthing you at all. I have no idea your circumstances or family discussions, I'm simply playing devils advocate here. I'm sure you guys have covered all the bases and everyone is in agreement or you might feel differently. I also know that high school kids will tell you what you want to hear if they feel pressure to agree with you, too.

STATE MEET!! because my son and daughter come first and formost in our family! "Blood is all that matters, everyone else are just strangers"

GreenMonster
05-01-2009, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by pancho villa
STATE MEET!! because my son and daughter come first and formost in our family! "Blood is all that matters, everyone else are just strangers" Amen! By the way Pancho, baseball players are also known to run fast and turn left. Take out the dirt watering and baseball is a glorified track meet with less standing around between races and more frequent field events (defese.)

scrub c
05-01-2009, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I have been to the state track meet the past 3 years and have never had a problem finding a hotel room!:confused:

Have you ever tried to book 7 rooms for the state meet, one month out???

I learned many years ago... It dont work too well.

(Unless you want to stay at a roach-motel)

Rabid Cougar
05-01-2009, 07:04 PM
This is precisely why you buy trip insurance. My priorities would still be the track meet for my kid even if I didn't have trip insurance. If he works hard enough to get there, then in my opinion he needs to follow through on that committment that he made to himself and his teammates, we can take another trip at another time.

He wanted a cruise for a graduation present. It was initially scheduled June 7-13 but All-Star Football Game was scheduled then. All four families involved rescheduled to May 30- June 7th. He cannot go afterwards due to shoulder surgery which he put off from January to June so he could have his Senior season in Track and play in All-Star Game. This results in him having to Gray Shirt at North Texas this football season.

Do not question his committment. He has had knee surgeries January 07 and 08 and still qualified for State Track Meet both years after only throwing in District Meets both years. This year he has had Staph in the knee and had a PICC line for 6 Weeks from January through March. NO physical activity for entire 6 weeks. Got it out on a Friday night and threw Saturday morning with no practice.

So you see it had nothing to do with me or his mother looking out for our own interest. It is his decision, Not ours.

GreenMonster
05-01-2009, 08:02 PM
He wanted a cruise for a graduation present. It was initially scheduled June 7-13 but All-Star Football Game was scheduled then. All four families involved rescheduled to May 30- June 7th. He cannot go afterwards due to shoulder surgery which he put off from January to June so he could have his Senior season in Track and play in All-Star Game. This results in him having to Gray Shirt at North Texas this football season.

Do not question his committment. He has had knee surgeries January 07 and 08 and still qualified for State Track Meet both years after only throwing in District Meets both years. This year he has had Staph in the knee and had a PICC line for 6 Weeks from January through March. NO physical activity for entire 6 weeks. Got it out on a Friday night and threw Saturday morning with no practice.

So you see it had nothing to do with me or his mother looking out for our own interest. It is his decision, Not ours.

Hey, that's cool. Like I said, I have no idea what your circumstances or family conversations on the matter are. Sounds like he's already had a tough enough spring.

44INAROW
05-01-2009, 08:14 PM
He wanted a cruise for a graduation present. It was initially scheduled June 7-13

is there any way he could catch a flight back to Austin late on the 4th? Just a thought - probably pretty expensive to book this late though.. :(

pancho villa
05-02-2009, 03:20 PM
Amen! By the way Pancho, baseball players are also known to run fast and turn left. Take out the dirt watering and baseball is a glorified track meet with less standing around between races and more frequent field events (defese.)

I thought about going to a baseball game this year then I came to my senses and went and mowed my yard.