PDA

View Full Version : The Flu

kepdawg
04-30-2009, 03:36 PM
At some point of your existence, have you had the flu?

waterboy
04-30-2009, 03:48 PM
I noticed several people didn't survive the flu.:eek: We must have ghosts in our presence!:eek:

I survived the flu several times. Fortunately, I haven't had a case in about 5 years, maybe....

CHS_Grad '85
04-30-2009, 04:03 PM
Knock on wood...

BreckTxLonghorn
04-30-2009, 04:08 PM
I survived one, but not the others.

Phil C
04-30-2009, 05:08 PM
My wife and I got the flu bad in 1990 at the same time. Fortunately we didn't have any children then. We had to stay in bed several days and man we were sick. I thought I had had the flu before then but I knew then that I had it. Several people in town caught it said the same thing.

I. B. Watching
04-30-2009, 05:15 PM
In reality, very few people have had the real flu or have had it more than once. We all have flu like symptoms from time to time. I had the actual flu once in elementary school and missed 8 days of school. I've had flu-like symptoms many times since then, but they were nothing like the real thing.

sinfan75
04-30-2009, 05:39 PM
I had the flu when I was 10. Out of school for an entire week. Never had it since. Took a flu shot one time at work just because they were doin for free and ended up catchin a bad cold a week later. Ain't taken a flu shot since. that was 15 years ago.

sinfan75
04-30-2009, 06:08 PM
The only thing I can't figure out is why all the craziness about this type of flu? Is it more deadly than the flu we people normally get or what?

PhiI C
04-30-2009, 07:08 PM
I had a friend that said he once caught the flu bad and that it was during the one year that he had actually got a flu shot.

Cats Fan
04-30-2009, 07:38 PM
the main difference from these and the others is that this flu is a new strain to which we have no immunity to as opposed to the previous one which our body provides some amunity to!

basically..new strain so if u catch it hope your body is well enough to fight it...thats basically it!

zebrablue2
04-30-2009, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by PhiI C
I had a friend that said he once caught the flu bad and that it was during the one year that he had actually got a flu shot.

up until the mid-90's you could get a mild case of the flu. not possible anymore. no more live bug shots. I have gotten one the last 6 yrs, shot, and will continue to do so the rest of my life. the shot has way more benefits than catching the flu..

bwdlionfan
04-30-2009, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by zebrablue2
up until the mid-90's you could get a mild case of the flu. not possible anymore. no more live bug shots. I have gotten one the last 6 yrs, shot, and will continue to do so the rest of my life. the shot has way more benefits than catching the flu..

Zebrablue is correct. The old flu vaccine contained a live virus, thus the reason so many got sick from it. The current vaccine is from a dead virus. If you get sick from it it's probably just an allergic reaction.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-30-2009, 08:59 PM
I've got a flu shot every year aside from two ever since I can remember, and the only two times that I ever got the flu it was when I didn't receive the vaccine.

SintonFan
04-30-2009, 09:32 PM
So you're saying damned if you don't and damned if you forget?
j/k G

sinfan75
04-30-2009, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by Cats Fan
the main difference from these and the others is that this flu is a new strain to which we have no immunity to as opposed to the previous one which our body provides some amunity to!

basically..new strain so if u catch it hope your body is well enough to fight it...thats basically it! Thanks ain't had a cold in over a year so I guess I'm good. LOL

Bearkat
05-01-2009, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by I. B. Watching
In reality, very few people have had the real flu or have had it more than once. We all have flu like symptoms from time to time. I had the actual flu once in elementary school and missed 8 days of school. I've had flu-like symptoms many times since then, but they were nothing like the real thing.

If I've never had the real flu, then I don't want it. What I have had, sucks!!! There's nothing like freezing your butt off but sweating at the same time. The body feels like you were tackled by Ray Lewis then run over my Marion Barber. You don't want to eat but you have to, then the food tastes awful.

I. B. Watching
05-01-2009, 11:26 AM
I'm not a doctor and I should not have posted "very few people have had the real flu." I have no way of knowing that and it was stupid on my part. Sounds like you had the real deal. Over the years, I've done some research on it and there are times when we just say we have the flu or think we have it when it's something else, thus flu-like symptoms. Sick is sick no matter what we have.

PPSTATEBOUND
05-01-2009, 11:50 AM
I had the flu when I was 6 since then I have never had a flu shot and have not had the flu in 32+ years....:clap: