PDA

View Full Version : Pandemic vs. Epidemic = confusion

STANG RED
04-30-2009, 12:43 PM
Maybe I have just lived too much of a sheltered life in west Texas, but I have to admit, Pandemic is a new word for me. However, using simple deductive reasoning, I just assumed a Pandemic was simply just short of being an Epidemic. In fact while trying to show my brilliance, that is basically what I pulled off the top of my head and told my wife a couple days ago, when she asked me what a Pandemic was. My answer seemed to satisfy her, so I felt pretty proud of myself for being so much smarter than her. Ha Ha

Well now I hear a report from the World Health Association (or something like that), and their sliding scale of 1 to 6 on the seriousness of infectious diseases and such. Apparently 1-3 is strictly in animals, 4 means some human infestation, 5 is human infestation in more than one county, and 6 is Pandemic. So my question is, where is Epidemic? If 6 is their worse, is Pandemic worse than Epidemic? Or is Pandemic just a new word that is the same as Epidemic? If so, why did we need a new word, and/or why do we need two words that mean the same? Is Epidemic a no longer socially acceptable or politically correct word?

Are me and my wife the only people that had never heard the word Pandemic, before this whole Swine Flu scare? Surely we aren’t that much more sheltered than most. Seriously, have yall heard this word before recent events?
:confused:

Bullaholic
04-30-2009, 12:45 PM
pandemic=worldwide epidemic

One of them new-fangled words like "metrosexual", Stang.

Txbroadcaster
04-30-2009, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Maybe I have just lived too much of a sheltered life in west Texas, but I have to admit, Pandemic is a new word for me. However, using simple deductive reasoning, I just assumed a Pandemic was simply just short of being an Epidemic. In fact while trying to show my brilliance, that is basically what I pulled off the top of my head and told my wife a couple days ago, when she asked me what a Pandemic was. My answer seemed to satisfy her, so I felt pretty proud of myself for being so much smarter than her. Ha Ha

Well now I hear a report from the World Health Association (or something like that), and their sliding scale of 1 to 6 on the seriousness of infectious diseases and such. Apparently 1-3 is strictly in animals, 4 means some human infestation, 5 is human infestation in more than one county, and 6 is Pandemic. So my question is, where is Epidemic? If 6 is their worse, is Pandemic worse than Epidemic? Or is Pandemic just a new word that is the same as Epidemic? If so, why did we need a new word, and/or why do we need two words that mean the same? Is Epidemic a no longer socially acceptable or politically correct word?

Are me and my wife the only people that had never heard the word Pandemic, before this whole Swine Flu scare? Surely we aren’t that much more sheltered than most. Seriously, have yall heard this word before recent events?
:confused:

in a nutshell Pandemic means it is something that is worldwide while an epidemic is something that affects a local area more than normal or spreads to other areas it normally does not

and yes I have heard the word before..the 1918 Flu Pandemic is one of the most notable pandemics

garciap77
04-30-2009, 12:50 PM
Stang will this help?

A pandemic (from Greek παν pan all + δήμος demos people) is an epidemic of infectious disease that spreads through populations across a large region; for instance a continent, or even worldwide.

:)

STANG RED
04-30-2009, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
pandemic=worldwide epidemic

One of them new-fangled words like "metrosexual", Stang.

Thanks!

But please dont tell my wife. She still thinks I'm smart. :D

kaorder1999
04-30-2009, 03:32 PM
doesnt it being a pandemic also have something to do with a new disease that has no vaccine?

turbostud
04-30-2009, 07:10 PM
I dont know why but, Epidemic just sounds alot worse than Pandemic.