04-29-2009, 08:34 PM
closed until may 8th....

crazy....

thelegend02
04-30-2009, 09:05 AM
Yes it is very crazy...

STANG RED
04-30-2009, 10:04 AM
If I heard correctly, there has only been one case in the entire district. Closing all the schools is a crazy overreaction for sure. I'd bet you could find many other infectious ailments within any school district, at any given time. Why don't they close up then?

We have to quit living in fear people! Just be aware of things, and take a few simple precautions, is all that is necessary.

ronwx5x
04-30-2009, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
If I heard correctly, there has only been one case in the entire district. Closing all the schools is a crazy overreaction for sure. I'd bet you could find many other infectious ailments within any school district, at any given time. Why don't they close up then?

We have to quit living in fear people! Just be aware of things, and take a few simple precautions, is all that is necessary.

Actually, the Dept of Health and Human Resources has put out an advisory that if a school reports even one case of swine flu, consider closing it temporarily.

Like you, I doubt that means close all schools in an ISD, but think of the ISD's liability if they don't close and a student dies. Our legal system demands overreaction on the part of authorities and they would be crazy if they didn't close after being advised to do so.

Then what about an adjacent ISD? Should it also be closed since there is a report of flu close by?

The schools would probably do the same for TB or any other infectious disease reported, so don't call the administration crazy, just cautious.

Ranger Mom
04-30-2009, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
Actually, the Dept of Health and Human Resources has put out an advisory that if a school reports even one case of swine flu, consider closing it temporarily.

Like you, I doubt that means close all schools in an ISD, but think of the ISD's liability if they don't close and a student dies. Our legal system demands overreaction on the part of authorities and they would be crazy if they didn't close after being advised to do so.

Then what about an adjacent ISD? Should it also be closed since there is a report of flu close by?

The schools would probably do the same for TB or any other infectious disease reported, so don't call the administration crazy, just cautious.

Sorry.....but I agree with STANG RED... I DO think it's crazy!!!

pirate4state
04-30-2009, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Sorry.....but I agree with STANG RED... I DO think it's crazy!!!

Me too. All these schools that are closing have just given the kids free reign to run all over town! Guess you can only get swine flu in school! LMAO

WildTexan972
04-30-2009, 10:55 AM
ALL flus are infectious....there are about 20,000 deaths in the US each year from flu or related complications, yet every year when a 3rd grader gets flu we don't shut down a school or an ISD....this year we call it "Swine flu" and suddenly it becomes the plague....flu viruses evolve every year - we all know that.....to react to this variant which has caused exactly ONE death and has had 100,000 cases LESS reported than each year does of the flu, is just plain idiotic to me.....

Black_Magic
04-30-2009, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Sorry.....but I agree with STANG RED... I DO think it's crazy!!! I sure hope your right. I know there was a pandemic in 1918 it killed millions. I sure hope we are over reacting.

crzyjournalist03
04-30-2009, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
I sure hope your right. I know there was a pandemic in 1918 it killed millions. I sure hope we are over reacting.

We now have medication that we didn't have in 1918, just like polio or tuberculosis. If you come down with the swine flu, you go to the doctor, get a shot, and within 24 hours, you're better.

PPHSfan
04-30-2009, 12:16 PM
This could all be avoided if folks would just wash their friggin hands now and then.

Emerson1
04-30-2009, 12:27 PM
I don't see the point in canceling sporting events and keeping the schools open. Isn't is supposed to be worse inside in terms of catching it? Do they think students only hang out with kids in their school and don't go anywhere?

crzyjournalist03
04-30-2009, 01:01 PM
Lake Dallas has now closed its school district despite having no cases reported.

SintonFan
04-30-2009, 01:09 PM
Corpus has been reporting of 90 possible "suspected" cases of the swine flu(one possibly confirmed). One school is closed now.

booger
04-30-2009, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
We now have medication that we didn't have in 1918, just like polio or tuberculosis. If you come down with the swine flu, you go to the doctor, get a shot, and within 24 hours, you're better.

No we don't and you can not cure a virus. That is why this outbreak is being taken so seriously. In 1918 when the troops returned from Europe the US people had never been exposed to the flu strain that the soldiers brought back.

Folks, this MIGHT get BAD but : Are you willing to bet your life on it that it is overreaction?

kaorder1999
04-30-2009, 03:29 PM
If nobody in Ft. Worth dies then it will be considered an overreaction...

Is someone in Dallas dies then Dallas ISD will be blamed for underreaction.....

STANG RED
04-30-2009, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by booger
No we don't and you can not cure a virus. That is why this outbreak is being taken so seriously. In 1918 when the troops returned from Europe the US people had never been exposed to the flu strain that the soldiers brought back.

Folks, this MIGHT get BAD but : Are you willing to bet your life on it that it is overreaction?

Personally I chose not to live my life around mights and maybes, and in constant fear of them. Hell, we MIGHT get hit by an asteroid in 5 minutes. Like I said earlier, just some simple little precautions and awareness is all that is called for right now. The panic and shutting down entire school districts just because of one case is a rediculous overreaction at this point. Besides, from what I'm hearing, the chances of dieing from this is no greater than from the regular flu, which kills thousands of weak and old people every year. If your going to die from the flu, your going to die from the flu, whether its swine flu or any other kind. But no need to panic about it, unless maybe your old and/or weak. Then just take necessary precautions. If your stong and healthy, you might get it, but you'll get over it, just like any other kind of flu.

crzyjournalist03
04-30-2009, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by booger
No we don't and you can not cure a virus

Yes, we do...

http://www.medpagetoday.com/InfectiousDisease/SwineFlu/14004

Scroll down to treatment of the virus...there are two drugs that can be administered that have been proven to help recovery from swine flu as well as stating that even if the drugs are administered after 48 hours of illness, they still help recovery.

Secondly, you can cure viruses.

Ever heard of Polio or Rotavirus? Both have vaccines.