PDA

View Full Version : UIL track regionals might still be held

kepdawg
04-29-2009, 04:27 PM
UIL track regionals might still be held

03:21 PM CDT on Wednesday, April 29, 2009

By BRIAN DAVIS / The Dallas Morning News
brdavis@dallasnews.com

Now that UIL officials have had time to think, some new scheduling proposals are taking shape and the upcoming regional track meets may not be cancelled after all.

Earlier today, the University Interscholastic League suspended all athletic events until May 11 because of the swine flu outbreak. This weekend's regional track meets were originally going to be scrapped while the upcoming baseball and softball playoff schedules would only be tweaked.

But UIL executive director Charles Breithaupt said his office has contacted all of its regional sites to see what dates would be available in mid-May. If that happens, the state track meet would be pushed back into possibly late May.

A new postseason track schedule could be announced later this week.

"If there's a safety issue, it's public problem for us having a kids come to a common place from all over the state," Breithaupt said. "We understand that. It's one of those tough calls you have to make.

"Stay tuned, because we think we have a better model now that we have a little time to think about it."

The biggest hurdle may be rescheduling the state meet at Mike A. Myers Stadium on the campus of the University of Texas at Austin. The state meet is now currently slated for May 14-16. UT officials will not let the UIL push things back one week because it bumps into graduation ceremonies.

"Every hotel room, parking spot and facilities are taken that weekend," Breithaupt said. "No one is allowed to schedule anything that week."

Area high schools officials are anxious to see what the final schedule will look like.

"That's unfortunate that has to happen, but I guess they've got to make a decision, I guess," Dallas ISD athletic director Jeff Johnson said.

I. B. Watching
04-29-2009, 04:29 PM
See what happens when you think before you act? You have a chance to find a solution

pirate4state
04-29-2009, 04:35 PM
It would be great if they could find a way.

kepdawg
04-29-2009, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
It would be great if they could find a way.

It would be great if they would make up their mind and stick with their decision!

44INAROW
04-29-2009, 04:36 PM
I hope for all the kids sake that they are able to work it out.

LH Panther Mom
04-29-2009, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
I hope for all the kids sake that they are able to work it out.
Me too!

crabman
04-29-2009, 09:57 PM
I know a 1A kid who has high jumped 6'10" and 6'-11" on separate occasions this year. On the day of their area meet (1A has district and area before regionals) he was entered in multiple events and was due to pitch in baseball that night. He jumped just enough to win, in this case 6'-2", and then went on to the next event. He will not go to state even though he is the second best jumper in the state in all classifications. They need to work out something.

There is also the problem of prelims and finals at state. Even though the Dallas area teams would like it, what happens if four of your finalists are from the same region? Relays would probably be heavily weighted on the Region II side.

lange4
04-29-2009, 10:43 PM
We just had 12 girls compete in the District meet and still won the title against teams with 60+ girls. We may not have the top 4 placings in the region, but we know how to compete, until you let us face you head to head we will never know who should be on top. Track surfaces, wind, head to head competion, all play a factor. I would be okay with this if they would of said your district times would get you in to the state meet.

lange4
04-29-2009, 11:21 PM
So you are saying top 4 region times. I revert to my post above.

lange4
04-29-2009, 11:37 PM
Yes, that is exactly what I am saying. You compete to the level level of competition and to the conditions. To be ostrasized because you were the 5th fastest time in region but only ran fast enough to win your event because you had a leg to run later in the meet is rediculous.

Rabid Cougar
04-30-2009, 07:13 AM
They need to stick to what they say. Moving the meet dates around causes major problems.

marler1972
04-30-2009, 08:34 AM
What major problems will it cause?

Ranger Mom
04-30-2009, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by marler1972
What major problems will it cause?

I had just posted on another track thread about UT's graduation being the next week (22nd/23rd) and wondered about the high school graduations.....when most of them were set for.

jockcity33
04-30-2009, 09:09 AM
I say run the regional meets on the 15th & 16th, then run the state meet in Waco on the 22nd & 23rd. If Baylors stadium is not big enough then go to Denton and run at North Texas.

TexasHSFootball
04-30-2009, 10:17 AM
Here is a boat load of reaction from across the state

Coverage - Swine Flu Reaction from across Texas (http://www.texashsfootball.com/news/swineflureaction.htm)

TinyTim
04-30-2009, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by jockcity33
I say run the regional meets on the 15th & 16th, then run the state meet in Waco on the 22nd & 23rd. If Baylors stadium is not big enough then go to Denton and run at North Texas.

Where are you gonna take your team to run on the 15th & 16th? The Big 12 conference track meet is being held at Texas Tech that weekend.

jockcity33
04-30-2009, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by TinyTim
Where are you gonna take your team to run on the 15th & 16th? The Big 12 conference track meet is being held at Texas Tech that weekend.

either run them at Lowry field in Lubbock or go to Abilene and run at ACU

garciap77
04-30-2009, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by jockcity33
either run them at Lowry field in Lubbock or go to Abilene and run at ACU

:thumbsup: