PDA

View Full Version : Mike Sherman responds to Leach's comments

Sweetwater Red
04-29-2009, 03:05 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4110528

Texas A&M is scheduled to play Texas Tech on Oct. 24 in Lubbock. If the teams' respective coaches keep up their current exchange, that game could be the grudge match of the year in the Big 12.

Texas A&M coach Mike Sherman was not amused when Texas Tech coach Mike Leach brought up ex-Aggies QB Stephen McGee's draft selection in the midst of questioning NFL teams' draft decisions on the Red Raiders' star players.

And he was still not happy when Leach, despite saying he didn't intend to offend his in-state rivals, wondered aloud where Sherman would have drafted McGee -- who sat much of his senior season -- if he were still an NFL coach.

On Monday, Leach, upset that wide receiver Michael Crabtree slipped to 10th in the draft and quarterback Graham Harrell wasn't chosen at all, noted that McGee was chosen in the fourth round by the Dallas Cowboys.

"I'm happy for Stephen McGee," Leach said. "The Dallas Cowboys like him more than his coaches at A&M did."

That didn't go over so well with Sherman or McGee.

"I don't understand Coach Leach's comments about Stephen McGee," Sherman replied on Monday. "He was named our starter until he got injured. ... Coach Leach is in no position to comment about my relationship with Stephen McGee."

"I don't know where that comment came from or who it was directed at," McGee added. "But I am shocked because my time at A&M was very special to me. Obviously, I got injured, and many people think that Coach Sherman benched me. That's just not true."

Leach tried to smooth things over in reply.

"There's been far more rhetoric around this than I ever would have expected," Leach said. "Under the best of circumstances, there is some variance in how people assess and discuss quarterbacks because everybody is looking for different things."

But then he brought up McGee again.

"But based on all the fuss and commotion on this, I can't help but wonder what round Coach Sherman would have drafted Stephen McGee, given the fact he was once a head coach in the NFL," Leach added.

Sherman was not pleased.

"There is nothing Mike Leach could ever say that would offend me," Sherman said. "I do find it unfortunate, however, that a college coach feels the need to question the handling of a player by a staff particularly without any knowledge of the facts or the extent of a player's injury. It is equally bothersome that a football coach would question the draft status of a player. This doesn't make any sense to me.

"I have stated numerous times before the draft I thought Stephen McGee was a late third or early fourth-round pick. It is apparent the Dallas Cowboys felt the same way. It was a great pick."

Electus Unus
04-29-2009, 03:18 PM
http://images.cafepress.com/image/12412695_400x400.jpg

Txbroadcaster
04-29-2009, 03:21 PM
I know Leach is backing his former players, but IMO his line was classless and not really fair. Sherman had ONE year with McGee, the problems with A&M's use of him began with the previous coaching staff, not Sherman.

These are the times IMO Leach should just keep his mouth shut

I. B. Watching
04-29-2009, 03:25 PM
So I guess Sherman would have taken McGee in the 3rd or 4th round? Just curious, I wonder if Sherman would have drafted Harrell? And if so, what round?

JasperDog94
04-29-2009, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by I. B. Watching
I wonder if Sherman would have drafted Harrell? And if so, what round? 8th;)

Electus Unus
04-29-2009, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by I. B. Watching
So I guess Sherman would have taken McGee in the 3rd or 4th round? Just curious, I wonder if Sherman would have drafted Harrell? And if so, what round? Pick 257

injuredinmelee
04-29-2009, 03:46 PM
Dear Mike Leach,

It is better to remain silent and let them think your stupid, than to open your mouth and prove them right.

Cordially yours,
Your Jim Beam Salesman.

Bullaholic
04-29-2009, 03:50 PM
Has Tech had any grad start at QB in the NFL since Billy Joe Tolliver? Not trying to stir anything up---just truly wondering.

Electus Unus
04-29-2009, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
Dear Mike Leach,

It is better to remain silent and let them think your stupid, than to open your mouth and prove them right.

Cordially yours,
Your Jim Beam Salesman. I heard he prefers Johnny Walker Blue

LLM_1331
04-29-2009, 07:42 PM
I think Mike Leach spoke for a lot of people who were too scared to say it. McGee was a stud in High School, but his college career not so much.

bigwood33
04-29-2009, 08:02 PM
This is just one man's opinion but Mike Leach has proven, time and time again, that he is classless jacka$$.

STAggie
04-29-2009, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by LLM_1331
I think Mike Leach spoke for a lot of people who were too scared to say it. McGee was a stud in High School, but his college career not so much.

The problem was he was a slave to a system which didn't use him right in college. All you heard when he signed was how he couldn't run, he gets to college and Fran turns him into a qb that "can't throw". Dude is a great talent and I look for him to succeed in the pros.

Txbroadcaster
04-29-2009, 08:05 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by LLM_1331
I think Mike Leach spoke for a lot of people who were too scared to say it. McGee was a stud in High School, but his college career not so much. [/QUOTE

uhhh ho has been to scared to say it? EVERYONE has said his college career was not what everyone expected

slingshot
04-29-2009, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by bigwood33
...Mike Leach has proven, time and time again, that he is classless jacka$$. ...and that he owns Texas A&M. ;)

westcoast54
04-29-2009, 08:19 PM
His college career wasn't that good because of the offense he ran most of the time he was there. I said it on this board last year when A&M hired Sherman that he would work wonders for McGee, and he would have had he not gotten hurt. I think McGee is the REAL DEAL. Give him a couple of years and he will be pushing for a starting job. Maby not with the Cowboys, but he will be a starter.

bigwood33
04-29-2009, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by slingshot
...and that he owns Texas A&M. ;) Not disputing his success, just his class.

orange machine
04-29-2009, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Has Tech had any grad start at QB in the NFL since Billy Joe Tolliver? Not trying to stir anything up---just truly wondering.

Graham Harrell has the best chance to start at qb in the nfl over all the other qb's tech has had every the last 15 or so years. The problem is still the offense that he ran at tech is not conducive to what they run in the nfl. Harrell reads great in the gun, but struggles like Vince Young when under the center. Not many qb's that run the spread, gun or whatever you want to call it do well in the nfl.

zebrablue2
04-29-2009, 08:47 PM
This is just one man's opinion but Mike Leach has proven, time and time again, that he is classless jacka$$.

:clap:

captain d
04-29-2009, 08:57 PM
I think it is refreshing that Leach speaks his mind on these issues. He is right on with his thoughts on the success rate of NFL teams picking QB's. I wish I was brave enough, rich enough, dumb enough to say what was on my mind sometimes.

injuredinmelee
04-29-2009, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by captain d
I think it is refreshing that Leach speaks his mind on these issues. He is right on with his thoughts on the success rate of NFL teams picking QB's. I wish I was brave enough, rich enough, dumb enough to say what was on my mind sometimes.

The problem with the entire thing is that his agenda isnt pure. He is only whining because his precious system qb didnt get picked. Leach has yet to produce a qb that has the tools for the NFL. Maybe that isnt what he is supposed to do. He is paid to win games for Tech not be a stepping stone to the NFL for his players. But this is why the most sought after qb prospects dont go to Lubbock.

orange machine
04-29-2009, 09:05 PM
Leach should just shut up he has done nothing to help his qb's make it in the nfl because of his stupid crappy offense. Teams need to get back to real football smash mouth football with the qb under the center. This spread offense junk is just dumb in my opinion.

slingshot
04-29-2009, 11:54 PM
Ya'll crack me up. 'Stupid crappy offense'? Leach takes a bunch of second tier athletes (compared to A&M, UT, OU, etc) and makes them competitive and consistent winners and puts butts in the seats. Are they gonna go 12-0 and win the Big 12 every year? No... Will Tech likely ever recruit the absolute top athletes to compete with the 'big boys'? No... Will they keep kicking A&M's butt 85% of the time and occasionally beat OU and UT? Yes...

slingshot
04-29-2009, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by orange machine
Leach should just shut up he has done nothing to help his qb's make it in the nfl because of his stupid crappy offense. Teams need to get back to real football smash mouth football with the qb under the center. This spread offense junk is just dumb in my opinion. Guess you better tell OU and Texas this also... they seem to like this 'stupid crappy offense' and run it the majority of the time.

RMAC
04-30-2009, 01:59 AM

Oh so many things I could say to this. Better to just let you think about it and maybe then you'll appreciate the irony in your statement.

Spaceman_Spiff
04-30-2009, 06:55 AM
Stephen McGee and Graham Harrell are both quality young men. Both of these former TEXAS HIGH SCHOOL ATHLETES will have the opportunity to show if they belong at the next level or not. Good luck Stephen. Good luck Graham.

WildTexan972
04-30-2009, 10:47 AM
The problem with the entire thing is that his agenda isnt pure. He is only whining because his precious system qb didnt get picked. Leach has yet to produce a qb that has the tools for the NFL. Maybe that isnt what he is supposed to do. He is paid to win games for Tech not be a stepping stone to the NFL for his players. But this is why the most sought after qb prospects dont go to Lubbock.

you are incorrect sir.....Leach was not whining...in fact, this only came up because a DMN reporter called and asked Leach specific questions to which he responded - and unlike some in Whitesboro that are gutless and won't give their real opinions for fear of appearing classless to Aggys which you beat each year, Leach gave the answer he felt was his opinion....now if any of you brainiacs care to, feel free to read his actual answer, which was in NO WAY tied to Harrell or anyone else - he said he liked McGee, and that is appeared Dallas liked him more than the Aggy coaching staff did - he did not say Sherman - his reply could easily have been aimed at Fran and his horribly failed offensive scheme (you know, the dull 1940's style smashmouth variety)....the actual fact is that wide open offenses sell more tickets because the fans get more action....it does not mean it is right or wrong, but it is more action....that is why homeruns in baseball are more popular than shutouts, and why the mexican guy does GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL! in soccer....it is the scoring aspect of the games we all hope to see.....

honesty oftens gets called classless because so many of you sheeple are so skeered to be honest in what you say or write for fear of offending someone, but guess what....no matter WHAT you say it will offend someone somewhere....

JasperDog94
04-30-2009, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by WildTexan972
you are incorrect sir.....Leach was not whining...in fact, this only came up because a DMN reporter called and asked Leach specific questions to which he responded - and unlike some in Whitesboro that are gutless and won't give their real opinions for fear of appearing classless to Aggys which you beat each year, Leach gave the answer he felt was his opinion....now if any of you brainiacs care to, feel free to read his actual answer, which was in NO WAY tied to Harrell or anyone else - he said he liked McGee, and that is appeared Dallas liked him more than the Aggy coaching staff did - he did not say Sherman - his reply could easily have been aimed at Fran and his horribly failed offensive scheme (you know, the dull 1940's style smashmouth variety)....the actual fact is that wide open offenses sell more tickets because the fans get more action....it does not mean it is right or wrong, but it is more action....that is why homeruns in baseball are more popular than shutouts, and why the mexican guy does GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL! in soccer....it is the scoring aspect of the games we all hope to see.....

honesty oftens gets called classless because so many of you sheeple are so skeered to be honest in what you say or write for fear of offending someone, but guess what....no matter WHAT you say it will offend someone somewhere.... Your argument would hold more water if Leach didn't have a track record. I'm not saying your wrong, but Leach does have a tendency to say things that tick people off and come off as classless.

BwdLions
04-30-2009, 02:32 PM
Graham Harrell has the best chance to start at qb in the nfl over all the other qb's tech has had every the last 15 or so years.

If Harrell ever gets the chance to play (which I doubt), the first time he gets in one of his offensive lineman's face, or pushes one of them like he used to do at Tech because he got hit or sacked, he'll wish he hadn't. They won't put up with it.

Phil C
04-30-2009, 05:01 PM
Whew!

Phil C
04-30-2009, 05:02 PM
Man, Leach is upset because his QB who was a potential Heisman winner didn't get drafted and the Aggies QB who was a bench warmer his senior season got drafted in Round 4.

Phil C
04-30-2009, 05:03 PM
Latest Aggie Joke:

If you're a QB come to A&M where you can ride the bench your senior year and get drafted by Round 4 instead of going to Texas Tech where you can be a great passer and Heisman trophy candidate and not get drafted at all!

:D

Txbroadcaster
04-30-2009, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by BwdLions
If Harrell ever gets the chance to play (which I doubt), the first time he gets in one of his offensive lineman's face, or pushes one of them like he used to do at Tech because he got hit or sacked, he'll wish he hadn't. They won't put up with it.

That all depends on how the team would view him..If they consider him a leader, then he could get up in an OL face and yell..if they dont, then your right he better just chill out some of his antics

Eagle 1
04-30-2009, 05:35 PM

If I'm correct, Harrell was the top rated qb in the state the year he went to Tech, having just won state in 3A.

Crappy offense?
How soon we forget what this "crappy offense" done this year.

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/3297/techvstexas361.jpg

westcoast54
04-30-2009, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Man, Leach is upset because his QB who was a potential Heisman winner didn't get drafted and the Aggies QB who was a bench warmer his senior season got drafted in Round 4.

He rode the pine because he was hurt. I think Harrel can play in the NFL too. I think Seattle should have tried to sign him. They have a proven winner as the starter, Hasselbeck, along with a solid backup in Wallace. Make Harrel your third string QB for a couple of years and give him some time to develop. I feel he can do it...just needs some time.

Phil C
04-30-2009, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by westcoast54
He rode the pine because he was hurt. I think Harrel can play in the NFL too. I think Seattle should have tried to sign him. They have a proven winner as the starter, Hasselbeck, along with a solid backup in Wallace. Make Harrel your third string QB for a couple of years and give him some time to develop. I feel he can do it...just needs some time.

Hey westcoast I know what you mean. I remember many years ago when young quarterbacks that came to the NFL out of college were expected to ride the bench for three or four years learning the system and getting experience. This was what the NFL coaches wanted. Of course the big bonus money changed all that.

coach
04-30-2009, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by Eagle 1
If I'm correct, Harrell was the top rated qb in the state the year he went to Tech, having just won state in 3A.

Crappy offense?

im pretty sure he didnt win state for 3a

sinfan75
04-30-2009, 07:42 PM
Graham Harrell has the best chance to start at qb in the nfl over all the other qb's tech has had every the last 15 or so years. The problem is still the offense that he ran at tech is not conducive to what they run in the nfl. Harrell reads great in the gun, but struggles like Vince Young when under the center. Not many qb's that run the spread, gun or whatever you want to call it do well in the nfl. Roger Staubach threw pretty much out the shotgun. Landry implemented to give Roger time to read defenses better.

DDBooger
04-30-2009, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by Eagle 1

Crappy offense?

Oklahoma ran that crappy offense too!
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c268/FCarrejo/scoreboard_medium.jpg

bigwood33
04-30-2009, 07:58 PM
oops.

Eagle 1
04-30-2009, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by coach
im pretty sure he didnt win state for 3a

My mistake, Ennis was 4A when he won state.

themsu97
05-01-2009, 07:17 AM
Leech drinks too much during the off season... he is a quotable guy and not afraid to say what he thinks... which makes him a fun guy to read...
however, no matter what anyone says, he said this out of spite, and it was probably not directed at Sherman since Sherman only had McGee for one year, and he was hurt... the fact that McGee was drafted in the 4th round was because of Sherman... if I was Leech, I would be mad too, I have a qb who I believe is very good and has the track record to prove it... problem is Harrell supposedly cannot throw the deep outs and various other throws that are needed in the pros... do not know if this is true but that is the knock... and I also believe that if both are given 2-3 years to develop and learn that they could be great qb's...
heck, even the Giants now are excited about David Carr now that he has had a chance to learn and develop...

plus, anyone notice that Fresno State always gets alot of kids drafted since they say that Hill runs an offense that is very similar to what the nfl runs