PDA

View Full Version : The Blue Dahlia

Phil C
04-28-2009, 12:37 PM
This 1946 movie is coming to TCM on May 29, 2009 at 7:45 A.M. It is a great murder mystery movie starring Alan Ladd and Veronica Lake. It also stars William Bendix (later famour on tv in The Life of Riley) as Buzz and Hugh Beaumont (later the father on tv's Leave it to Beaver) as George. Ladd returns from WW2 with his friends Buzz and George and gets falsely accused of murdering his unfaithful wife. He is chased by the police while trying to find the real murderer.
POSSIBLE SPOILER WARNING!
I don't really think it is because I am not going to tell you who the real murderer is and there are several suspects including Ladd but the original murderer was to be one of Ladd's army friends but when the Navy found out it asked the producers to change the ending because having a war vet be a criminal wasn't the thing to do back then so the ending was changed and perhaps that made it a great movie. How unlike the 60s and 70s when Viet Nam war vets were protrayed many times as villains and psychopaths (such as the movie Two Minute Warning) in television and movies.

bullfrog_alumni_02
04-29-2009, 09:08 AM
wait...there is a problem with murdering an unfaithful spouse, especially while he was away at war...death would be too good for the offender. but i have hard feelings on such matters.