PDA

View Full Version : Mike Leach unhappy with draft & making no friends in Cleveland.

Sweetwater Red
04-27-2009, 03:08 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4105406

Leach unhappy for Harrell, Crabtree

Texas Tech coach Mike Leach, who saw his quarterback go undrafted and his star wide receiver slip down in the first round of the NFL draft, had plenty to say about both situations after the proceedings ended.

Texas Tech coach Mike Leach is rarely without a strong opinion.
Leach's record-setting quarterback, Graham Harrell, wasn't among the 256 players picked in the seven rounds of the NFL draft. Meanwhile, Texas A&M's Stephen McGee, who didn't start much of his senior season, went in the fourth round (the 101st pick) to the Dallas Cowboys.

"I'm happy for Stephen McGee," Leach told The Dallas Morning News. "The Dallas Cowboys like him more than his coaches at A&M did."

McGee had a strong showing in front of NFL scouts at the combine. Harrell struggled at the Senior Bowl.

Leach, however, said the NFL has a long track record of picking its quarterbacks poorly. "The truth of the matter is that the NFL drafts quarterbacks notoriously bad," said Leach, according to the Morning News. "That's indisputable. ..."

Harrell won't necessarily be out of work for long. His agent, Chad Speck, said he will participate in the Browns' rookie minicamp.

Meanwhile, Leach said that Cleveland Browns coach Eric Mangini is to blame for former Texas Tech wide receiver Michael Crabtree falling to the 10th pick in the first round. Reports out of Cleveland said that the Browns didn't like Crabtree's attitude when he visited the team prior to the draft.

"Michael Crabtree has been more successful as a receiver than that guy as a coach at this point," Leach said of Mangini, according to the Sacramento Bee. "Part of the reason is [Crabtree's] too shy to be like that."

Leach said Crabtree isn't a "diva."

"My definition of a diva is someone who's loud and self-absorbed," Leach told the Bee. "Michael Crabtree is the furthest thing from loud that I've seen. ... Let's see how all those non-divas do up in Cleveland this year."

kaorder1999
04-27-2009, 03:15 PM
wow...that is crazy!

Sweetwater Red
04-27-2009, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
wow...that is crazy!

He's unhappy for Harrell and trashing the team that Harrell is
trying to get a job with. Something tells me he didn't know at the
time.:doh:

injuredinmelee
04-27-2009, 03:24 PM
Just like all his previous QB's. Leach's offense does not prepare qbs for the pro style or game. The NFL isnt sandlot.

STANG RED
04-27-2009, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
Just like all his previous QB's. Leach's offense does not prepare qbs for the pro style or game. The NFL isnt sandlot.

That's very true, but what he said about the NFL being notoriously bad at picking QB's is also very true. That list is too long to mention, but Ryan Lief is always the first that comes to mind for me.

I'd like to see a list of all QBs taken in the top 10 over the past 20 years. I'll bet there's many more busts than greats in that list.
In fact I'd love to see that list, just to see how many busts versus greats, no matter the position.

Maroon87
04-27-2009, 03:56 PM
Surely, Leach has more important things to worry about...:nerd:

http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/2009/04/21/texas-tech-linemen-display-good-hands/

westcoast54
04-27-2009, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
That's very true, but what he said about the NFL being notoriously bad at picking QB's is also very true. That list is too long to mention, but Ryan Lief is always the first that comes to mind for me.

I'd like to see a list of all QBs taken in the top 10 over the past 20 years. I'll bet there's many more busts than greats in that list.
In fact I'd love to see that list, just to see how many busts versus greats, no matter the position.

If you get the NFL Network they have a Top 10 QB bust list. There are ALOT of QB's that have been drafted high over the years that were busts.

WylieBulldog92
04-27-2009, 04:03 PM
So by his own definition Mike Leach is a diva.

Eagle 1
04-27-2009, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee

I guess Vince young found that out too.
News Flash:
Great qb's in the NFL are rated on their passing effenciency, so I would say Leach's offense more prepares qb's for the NFL than most.

Emerson1
04-27-2009, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Eagle 1

Great qb's in the NFL are rated on their passing effenciency, so I would say Leach's offense more prepares qb's for the NFL than most.
Leaches offenses prepares QBs for the arena league

Vince Young led the nation in passing efficiency at the end the '05 regular season btw

crzyjournalist03
04-27-2009, 05:18 PM
angry pirate...

KL3
04-27-2009, 06:12 PM
I've never seen a better fit at a school than Mike Leach at Texas Tech.

injuredinmelee
04-27-2009, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Eagle 1
I guess Vince young found that out too.
News Flash:

well then why doesn't it equate to success in the NFL?

Emerson1
04-27-2009, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by KL3
He would have fit into any school that was irrelevant when it comes to anything at the time he started.

PPHSfan
04-27-2009, 10:42 PM
No college anywhere prepares any position for the NFL. The NFL is a business run by billionaires with grown men playing the game. The only thing that prepares anyone for the NFL is hard work and luck, and you can get that at any community college.

PPHSfan
04-27-2009, 10:45 PM
If you want to play in the NFL then go to a college that specializes in putting players there, not a school that specializes in scoring points. How many first day players have come out of schools like USC in the last ten years vs how many total NFL players have come from schools like Tech since the inception of the draft?

Emerson1
04-27-2009, 11:02 PM
Might of been here I read it, but I read that this year was the first time since Leach went to Tech he had players taken in the 3rd round or before.

Z-RO
04-28-2009, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Leaches offenses prepares QBs for the arena league

Vince Young led the nation in passing efficiency at the end the '05 regular season btw

+1

You have to think VY was working with Chow who likes using pocket QB's. VY needs a offense that allows him to use his feet as a weapon in both the running and passing game. His ability to make people miss buys time to open up the passing game.

VY will have his time, its just a matter of time before he proves a lot of people wrong.

Farmersfan
04-28-2009, 06:09 AM
I just saw on Sportscenter that Miami released John Beck who was taken in the second round.

jockcity33
04-28-2009, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by KL3

Is that because he has done so much with the guys that TU and OU don't want, or What?

Eagle 1
04-28-2009, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Z-RO
+1

You have to think VY was working with Chow who likes using pocket QB's. VY needs a offense that allows him to use his feet as a weapon in both the running and passing game. His ability to make people miss buys time to open up the passing game.

VY will have his time, its just a matter of time before he proves a lot of people wrong.

http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/7406/laughing2.gif