PDA

View Full Version : Swine flu

LH Panther Mom
04-26-2009, 10:07 PM
All Schertz-Cibola-Universal City schools are closed for the coming week.

KSAT link (http://www.ksat.com/health/19295627/detail.html#-)

LH Panther Mom
04-26-2009, 10:12 PM
They've got several confirmed cases and apparently it's highly contagious. I guess they're hoping that shutting down will allow it to run the course, instead of having tons of absences over the next few weeks.

BaseballUmp
04-26-2009, 10:14 PM
What about TAKS testing? Isn't that this week?

Bullaholic
04-26-2009, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
I coulda swore that they said this flu was not severe. If not, why all the panic?

This new mutated strain is a combo between the swine and human flu viruses and does not require contact with swine for infection. It can be passed human-to-human. If this is not contained, a pandemic could result. The only good part is that in modern countries with good healthcare and prevention, it is not that deadly when treated early. No panic---yet.

mwynn05
04-26-2009, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by BaseballUmp
What about TAKS testing? Isn't that this week? yeah it is

Emerson1
04-26-2009, 10:59 PM
That is more reason to close, you don't want half of the student body gone during TAKS weeks. You can always take it another time.

Z-RO
04-27-2009, 12:35 AM
Its better then having 1 possible death (or even more) in the district

lepfan
04-27-2009, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by Z-RO
Its better then having 1 possible death (or even more) in the district It is Texas and it is the TAKS test...and they think the TAKS test is more important that ANYTHING...:rolleyes:

JasperDog94
04-27-2009, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by lepfan
It is Texas and it is the TAKS test...and they think the TAKS test is more important that ANYTHING...:rolleyes: Unfortunately you are correct.:(

Electus Unus
04-27-2009, 08:58 AM
TAKS and TAAS is the downfall of the Texas educational system.

c-town_balla
04-27-2009, 09:02 AM
We had a couple of days off back when I was in Jr high because half the school had the norwalk (sp?) virus nice days off that you don't have to make up.

Bullaholic
04-27-2009, 10:46 AM
More cases in U.S. than first thought. Hope this is contained quickly.

http://cnnwire.blogs.cnn.com/

Daddy D 11
04-27-2009, 10:48 AM
Also, there's really nothing big going on in the news right now, so of course the news stations are going to strongly focus on the Swine Flu. I doubt this grows into anything big at all.

Pick6
04-27-2009, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Electus Unus

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Electus Unus
04-27-2009, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Pick6
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: You don't think it is? Instead of giving kids a broad spectrum of learning...they are just given the information which will be on that test.

Plus we all know TAKS/TAAS is about $$$.

Pick6
04-27-2009, 02:20 PM
You don't think it is? Instead of giving kids a broad spectrum of learning...they are just given the information which will be on that test.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: kids

garciap77
04-27-2009, 02:46 PM
You don't think it is? Instead of giving kids a broad spectrum of learning...they are just given the information which will be on that test.

Everything is about money!!!!!!!!!!!

kaorder1999
04-27-2009, 03:01 PM
WFAA TV is reporting that Canyon Creek Elementary School in Richardson will be shut down for the rest of the week after one student tested positive for swine flu

waterboy
04-27-2009, 03:08 PM
I think you're right to a point. It's amazing to me how the state places so much emphasis on test scores. All it does is place undue pressure on students, as well as teachers. Sometimes, it's not the teacher's fault students cannot pass these tests. They spend the majority of their time teaching students how to pass these tests, instead of teaching students the basics of applying the knowledge. Teachers have a state-mandated curriculum guideline they have to follow, yet with the methods they mandate, some students still don't grasp. They are not allowed to deviate from these guidelines, either, which is sad. Sometimes, it's better to put it into a method more easily understood by the student, yet you're not allowed to do so. I guess the way we learned years ago is not good enough for today's students. :rolleyes:

lepfan
04-27-2009, 06:23 PM
I hope everyone is ok...with the swine flu business and all...BUT...I am going to be ticked off if it prevents us from making our summer trip to Puerto Vallarta...which is a graduation trip for my daughter! Hopefully we won't be delayed!