PDA

View Full Version : Whats up with Harrell

GrTigers6
04-26-2009, 02:43 PM
Did I miss something? Why has Graham Harrell not been drafted. He is better than most of the qb's on the draft table. :confused:

STANG RED
04-26-2009, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by GrTigers6
Did I miss something? Why has Graham Harrell not been drafted. He is better than most of the qb's on the draft table. :confused:

Its "THE SYSTEM" of Tech's that is hurting him. He'll end up somewhere though. Just nobodies going to give up a high pick spot on him. But remember, Brady was something like the 190 something pick his year. That seems to have worked out just fine.

GrTigers6
04-26-2009, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Its "THE SYSTEM" of Tech's that is hurting him. He'll end up somewhere though. Just nobodies going to give up a high pick spot on him. But remember, Brady was something like the 190 something pick his year. That seems to have worked out just fine. Yeah I Know but i would have taken Harrell over Mcgee, not to take anything away from Mcgee, just I think Harrell is a better QB. But Mcgee was my second choice for the 'Boys. Then again Mcgee had a little less to work with.:thinking:

CelinaCatFan
04-26-2009, 03:56 PM
The strange thing about it is that both Harrell and McGee's stats were affected by their "system." Harrell's career was positively influenced by Tech's pass friendly system. At the same time, McGee's career was negatively influenced by A&M's run first system.

Having said that, I think it is difficult to state that Harrell is the better QB. Does Harrell have the better career stats? You bet he does.

I think McGee is a better fit with the Cowboys. He will most likely run a little "Wildcat" formation with Felix Jones. It will be interesting to watch.

GrTigers6
04-26-2009, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by CelinaCatFan
The strange thing about it is that both Harrell and McGee's stats were affected by their "system." Harrell's career was positively influenced by Tech's pass friendly system. At the same time, McGee's career was negatively influenced by A&M's run first system.

Having said that, I think it is difficult to state that Harrell is the better QB. Does Harrell have the better career stats? You bet he does.

I think McGee is a better fit with the Cowboys. He will most likely run a little "Wildcat" formation with Felix Jones. It will be interesting to watch. Yeah I agree. Its a tough choice. I think Harrell is a better passer while Mcgee is a better scrambler. But I am very interested to see how Mcgee will do with the cowboys. Like I said before Harrell had more talented help around him which also made him look better. So I guess you could argue that Mcgee is better cause his stats are under tougher situations :thinking:

Phil C
04-26-2009, 07:26 PM
Harrell and McGee are going to be steals for someone.

Electus Unus
04-26-2009, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Its "THE SYSTEM" of Tech's that is hurting him. He'll end up somewhere though. Just nobodies going to give up a high pick spot on him. But remember, Brady was something like the 190 something pick his year. That seems to have worked out just fine. From what they said at the workouts he did during the all-star games is that he can't make many deep throws and his arm was hidden by the system he threw in. He'll be a for sure #3 on a team

Sweetwater Red
04-26-2009, 08:17 PM

So were everyone from Andre Ware to David Carr.:thinking:

Oh and no we wasn't. Not even close.

VWG
04-26-2009, 08:29 PM
It's not about the system you play in.. it's about your physical talent to compete at the next level. It's hit or miss on draft days, but to be drafted in the NFL you've got to meet their requirements. Harrell didn't have the perceived arm strength that other NFL prospects had.

Sweetwater Red
04-26-2009, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by VWG
It's not about the system you play in.. it's about your physical talent to compete at the next level. It's hit or miss on draft days, but to be drafted in the NFL you've got to meet their requirements. Harrell didn't have the perceived arm strength that other NFL prospects had.

Neither did Tom Brady. But he had the pedigree and upbringing.:thinking:

PurplePride2006
04-26-2009, 08:45 PM
Graham Harrell and Chase Daniels both went undrafted... The West Texas A&M QB Keith Null went in the 6th round to the Rams

GrTigers6
04-26-2009, 08:46 PM
yeah and Emmit Smith was way too small for the NFL. We all know how that turned out :thinking:

GrTigers6
04-26-2009, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by PurplePride2006
Graham Harrell and Chase Daniels both went undrafted... The West Texas A&M QB Keith Null went in the 6th round to the Rams I didn't realize Chase was up for the draft. He is another one that would be interesting to see how he could do in the NFL

GrTigers6
04-26-2009, 09:29 PM
I always wondered about Daniels' height being an issue. Isn't he like barely 6'. Not that that means he couldn't be successful in the NFL i just remember espn analysts saying that it could be, but don't remember if it was Daniels they were talking about.

LH Panther Mom
04-26-2009, 09:48 PM
:thinking: :thinking: Tell me, ETB, about the shortcomings of a QB that holds several records.

LH Panther Mom
04-26-2009, 10:15 PM
Oh, I wasn't talking about any Tech records, but his ones at Ennis. :p

Electus Unus
04-26-2009, 10:22 PM
Garrett Gilbert > Graham Harrell or any other QB in the history of TX HS FB

BreckTxLonghorn
04-26-2009, 10:51 PM
Chase Daniel signed with the 'Skins.

Graham Harrell has been offered a tryout with Cleveland.

Just fyi for everyone.

Bull's-eye
04-27-2009, 12:20 AM
Another reason holding these spread QB's back is the lack of taking snaps from center & learning the 5 or 7 step drops.

GrTigers6
04-27-2009, 05:51 AM
Yeah He could be the next Jason Garrett. :thinking:

Bull's-eye
04-27-2009, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
I dont think the lack of 5 or 7 step drops has anything to do with it.

Sure it does! I'm not saying this applies to Harrell, but this is something that these spread QB's must learn. Receiving the ball in shotgun is very easy compared to dropping back and then trying to read the defense. They had a big discussion on ESPN about Harrell & some of the other spread QB's not getting picked and this was one of the reasons.

PPSTATEBOUND
04-27-2009, 11:43 AM
yeah and Emmit Smith was way too small for the NFL. We all know how that turned out :thinking:

Best player I ever watched run out of bounds almost every play.

:D

Bull's-eye
04-27-2009, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by PPSTATEBOUND
Best player I ever watched run out of bounds almost every play.
:D

...and look how long he played in the league. ;) Emmit was great at avoiding the direct hits.

Sweetwater Red
04-27-2009, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
Emmit was great at avoiding the direct hits.

Barry Sanders was even better.:devil:

GrTigers6
04-27-2009, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Barry Sanders was even better.:devil: yeah if he only had a line to block for him he would have left a record that noone could of beat

Eagle 1
04-27-2009, 12:56 PM
Texas Tech's Graham Harrell headed to Cleveland

There's a report on the Internet that Texas Tech's Graham Harrell signed with the Cowboys, but that isn't correct. Harrell will participate in the Browns' rookie minicamp, according to his agent, Chad Speck.

Speck said he had some contact with the Cowboys, but an offer didn't come from Valley Ranch.

The Cowboys selected their developmental quarterback when they took Texas A&M's Stephen McGee with the first pick of the fourth round. McGee readily acknowledges that his college career was extremely disappointing. Harrell, on the other hand, won a ton of games and set a bunch of records at Texas Tech.

McGee spent most of his senior season as a backup, but his stock soared after an impressive showing at the scouting combine. Ennis' Harrell spent his senior season as a Heisman Trophy contender, but his stock dipped after a rough showing in the Senior Bowl, seemingly cementing the dreaded "system quarterback" knock on him. Chase Daniel, the Southlake Carroll product who had a spectacular career at Missouri, is a short "system quarterback" who signed as an undrafted free agent with the Washington Redskins.

When I chatted with Tech coach Mike Leach late in the draft, he laughed when I asked for his thoughts about Harrell still being available. Leach, who reiterated his stance that Harrell was the best quarterback in the draft, said he was no more surprised than when Tom Brady slipped to the sixth round.

"The truth of the matter is that the NFL drafts quarterbacks notoriously bad," said Leach, pointing to all the late-round and undrafted quarterbacks that have become elite players. "That's indisputable. ...

"I don't have an answer for why they don't have a skill for drafting a quarterback. Well, I think the priorities are out of order. Accurate and makes good decisions needs to be a priority, not something they need to teach him, because they don't do that very well.

"Arm strength is so overrated. I've got defensive ends with great arm strength, but they aren't accurate. Hey, maybe Brandon Williams can help them at quarterback. He's got a really strong arm."

KATS
04-27-2009, 12:57 PM
Rhett Bomar from SHSU via Oklahoma went in the 6th round to the Giants.

Bull's-eye
04-27-2009, 12:58 PM
yeah if he only had a line to block for him he would have left a record that noone could of beat

Sanders was a heck of a back and could of been the all-time rusher if he hadn't left early.

Most people say that Emmit had a great line, but I ask you was it Emmit that made them great? Take Nate Newton, he was just about laughed out of the league, but became all-pro because Emmit was gaining so many yards. Having Aikman, Irvin & Novacek probably helped Smith more than his so called "great" line. Forcing the defense to respect the pass helped the running game & vice versa. Emmit wasn't the most talented back, but his heart & determination was second to none.

I hate to hear that Emmit had a great line excuse. Those same guys were awful before he came along.

GrTigers6
04-27-2009, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
Sanders was a heck of a back and could of been the all-time rusher if he hadn't left early.

Most people say that Emmit had a great line, but I ask you was it Emmit that made them great? Take Nate Newton, he was just about laughed out of the league, but became all-pro because Emmit was gaining so many yards. Having Aikman, Irvin & Novacek probably helped Smith more than his so called "great" line. Forcing the defense to respect the pass helped the running game & vice versa. Emmit wasn't the most talented back, but his heart & determination was second to none.

I hate to hear that Emmit had a great line excuse. Those same guys were awful before he came along. Most of those guys were rookies too. But yeah the whole offense helped Emmitt. However Barry Sanders didn't have any help from the rest of his offense other than a pass here and there from the qb to get him in the open.