PDA

View Full Version : Stephen McGee to the Cowboys

Emerson1
04-26-2009, 11:17 AM
Yep

ILS1
04-26-2009, 11:18 AM
Cowboys take him in as their 4th round pick!!

:D :D :D :D

turbostud
04-26-2009, 11:23 AM
WOW. Great pick.

turbostud
04-26-2009, 11:25 AM
Mel Kiper loves him.

turbostud
04-26-2009, 11:26 AM
Jaws to.

I_Do_Care
04-26-2009, 11:28 AM
QBs with linebacker mentalities end up on stretchers in the NFL. LOL jk he should be a great backup
He did go ahead of Graham Harrell

eagles_victory
04-26-2009, 11:44 AM
At least Ive heard of Stephen Mcgee more than I can say for the first two picks.

Lion_Addict
04-26-2009, 01:48 PM
McGee is a tough sumbuck, and from what I hear from some peeps that know him personally......he is a good young man. I'm happy for him.

GrTigers6
04-26-2009, 02:39 PM
Does anyone know where Mcgee played high school ball at?

aggiejwp
04-26-2009, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by GrTigers6
Does anyone know where Mcgee played high school ball at?

Burnet High School

aggiejwp
04-26-2009, 02:49 PM
At least we'll finally be able to get to see what a pass from Stephen McGee to Martellus Bennett was supposed to look like....

GetRDoneStangs
04-26-2009, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by aggiejwp
At least we'll finally be able to get to see what a pass from Stephen McGee to Martellus Bennett was supposed to look like....

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Bull's-eye
04-26-2009, 02:52 PM
Some talk about him running the "Wildcat" offense and Jerry loves the Aggies support.

aggiejwp
04-26-2009, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
Some talk about him running the "Wildcat" offense and Jerry loves the Aggies support. We are a stubborn few...

GrTigers6
04-26-2009, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by aggiejwp
Burnet High School Ok Thanks, I thought he played somewhere around there but I couldn't remember.

Dogman_1969
04-26-2009, 04:08 PM
I thought coming out of high school that Stephen was the best throwing QB that I have seen play. I think that what the scouts are high on was there all along but his coaching staffs at aggieland were set on a smash mouth game and it almost ended this young man's career.

Good luck to Stephen!!!!!!!!!!

Phil C
04-26-2009, 07:27 PM
This is a big steal for the Cowboys. Remember how Dat Ng was a few years ago also. Great news indeed.

Emerson1
04-26-2009, 08:58 PM
"I'm happy for Stephen McGee," Texas Tech coach Mike Leach said. "The Dallas Cowboys like him more than his coaches at A&M did."

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2009/04

sinton66
04-26-2009, 09:11 PM
McGee didn't have the receiver talent at A&M that he had in high school. Teamed up with Jordan Shipley, they were quite an item to see. He'll see some receiver talent at Dallas.

GrTigers6
04-26-2009, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
McGee didn't have the receiver talent at A&M that he had in high school. Teamed up with Jordan Shipley, they were quite an item to see. He'll see some receiver talent at Dallas.
I thought Shipley went to school with Mccoy at Jim Ned.

bandera7
04-26-2009, 09:21 PM
The dads went to school together in college (correct me if Im wrong). But Shipley definitely played ball in Burnet with McGee, I remember them vividly. I wasnt even in high school but I remember seeing them play us in district and being incredible.

GrTigers6
04-26-2009, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by bandera7
The dads went to school together in college (correct me if Im wrong). But Shipley definitely played ball in Burnet with McGee, I remember them vividly. I wasnt even in high school but I remember seeing them play us in district and being incredible. I don't know exactly thats just what I thought I had heard. I'm a dad of three teens so my memory is fading quickly :D

coach
04-26-2009, 09:42 PM
The dads went to school together in college (correct me if Im wrong). But Shipley definitely played ball in Burnet with McGee, I remember them vividly. I wasnt even in high school but I remember seeing them play us in district and being incredible.

shpley and mcgee both went to bunet and both set several records. They were pretty solid together. i alway like it whe the cowbowys draftsomeone from texas because you know mos likely were huge cowboy fans when they were little

griff
04-26-2009, 10:44 PM
Rumor has it that the Cowboys were looking for the next great A&M quarterback who could throw a left handed pass (ala Bucky Richardson).

J/K

Glad to see him picked by Dallas.

Daddy D 11
04-26-2009, 11:00 PM

Same here. They were nuts.

King_LeYoeNidas
04-26-2009, 11:21 PM
I remember watchin Shipley & McGee dismantle Jasper over in aTm years back. Those guys were scary good together. Makes me wonder if Shipley will find his way to Dallas next year as well.....

SintonFan
04-27-2009, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by sinton66
You need to find my scouting report for the Sinton-Burnet playoff game from '02...:D
I knew that Burnet team was good.;)
Good pick BOYS!:clap:

injuredinmelee
04-27-2009, 07:53 AM
I love this pick and can see McGee starting in a couple of years of Suckmo.

JasperDog94
04-27-2009, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by King_LeYoeNidas
I remember watchin Shipley & McGee dismantle Jasper over in aTm years back. Those guys were scary good together. Makes me wonder if Shipley will find his way to Dallas next year as well..... I remember....thanks.:(

I will say the second year we played them we held them in check. They (the entire team) only scored 21 points that game. The only problem was that Jasper only scored 14.;)

Old Dog
04-27-2009, 11:07 AM
Sometimes Burnet's defense is forgotten in all the talk of Shipley and McGee. Burnet had the top rated D thru out the year (until Gainesville bull dogged them). Shipley made the all-state defensive squad his Jr. year and 2nd team his Sr. year. He was just as much fun to watch on D as he was on O.

Personally, I don't think this ole fellow will ever see a better player from Burnet!

injuredinmelee
04-27-2009, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Old Dog
Sometimes Burnet's defense is forgotten in all the talk of Shipley and McGee. Burnet had the top rated D thru out the year (until Gainesville bull dogged them). Shipley made the all-state defensive squad his Jr. year and 2nd team his Sr. year. He was just as much fun to watch on D as he was on O.

Personally, I don't think this ole fellow will ever see a better player from Burnet!

Ty Kuhn was fun to watch at LB.

BulletsX
04-27-2009, 05:10 PM
How about Mark Manning at DE. Ask Sinton about him.

navratbacker
04-27-2009, 06:35 PM
well i just wanna c if all the longhorn fans gonna root for an aggie . u know most of the cowboy fans are texas fans . well i guess its no mo romo.... lol

sinfan75
04-27-2009, 06:51 PM
Got to see em twice. Once in San Marcos (remember the near 14,000 capacity?) and in Corpus. Shipley wasn't too bad of a field goal kicker either. Good luck to Mcgee in Dallas.

sinfan75
04-27-2009, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by BulletsX
How about Mark Manning at DE. Ask Sinton about him. Don't ask! He was the one that stopped the 4th and a foot wasn't he?

BulletsX
04-27-2009, 09:02 PM
Yes. He had a great game that day.

sinfan75
04-27-2009, 09:14 PM
Buddy of mine who played for SWTS on O line said in all the 4 years he played there he never saw the stadium that full as that day. LOL

Old Dog
04-27-2009, 09:43 PM
Glad someone mentioned Manning and Kuhn. Kuhn had speed and a nose for the ball while Manning had HEART. Manning finished at Mary Hardin Baylor where he continued making belivers out of skeptics.

hookandladder
04-28-2009, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by navratbacker
well i just wanna c if all the longhorn fans gonna root for an aggie . u know most of the cowboy fans are texas fans . well i guess its no mo romo.... lol

McGee will never be the starting QB for the Cowboys.

Old Dog
04-28-2009, 10:51 AM
I for one am not saying that McGee is the second coming of Johnny Unitas, just happy to see him make the next step (heck he has to make the team now)........as I am for ALL the 3A players we have discussed on this board that got the call.

It's also exciting too because; to my unresearched thinking would be only the 3rd former Burnet Bulldog to sign a pro contract. We had Dudley Meredith with the Detriot Lions in the late 50's and Doak Field with St. Louis in the 80's.......so we are pretty damned excited.

JasperDog94
04-28-2009, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by navratbacker
well i just wanna c if all the longhorn fans gonna root for an aggie . u know most of the cowboy fans are texas fans . well i guess its no mo romo.... lol This longhorn fan will cheer for McGee as long as he is a Dallas Cowboy. His college career is over. That's in the past and it's time to look to the future.

Go McGee!!!

Bull's-eye
04-28-2009, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by hookandladder

:( Way to support a young man representing our beloved 3A football.

hookandladder
04-28-2009, 11:05 AM
:( Way to support a young man representing our beloved 3A football.

It's not about supporting the young man, I just do not think he will be the cowboys starting QB. Just an opinion.

Electus Unus
04-28-2009, 11:08 AM
It's not about supporting the young man, I just do not think he will be the cowboys starting QB. Just an opinion. and I don't think tony romo is the future for dallas. He chokes in big games and that is a fact.

crzyjournalist03
04-28-2009, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Electus Unus
and I don't think tony romo is the future for dallas. He chokes in big games and that is a fact.

Exactly...like the Green Bay games the last two years, and the Giants game last December...

Bull's-eye
04-28-2009, 12:34 PM
It's not about supporting the young man, I just do not think he will be the cowboys starting QB. Just an opinion.

No, he won't be the starting QB this season or anytime soon. Dallas drafted him and will groom him over the next couple of years. He didn't run a pro style offense at A&M, but the Cowboys believe he has the ability & potential to be a good pro QB. Tony Romo wasn't even drafted and there has been many others who over time developed their skills and became a starting QB. Let's give him some time and see what happens. Just curious, but what do you base your opinion on? The Cowboy's scouts like his size, his arm strength, mental toughness & how the young man handled the A&M run-oriented offense, even though he probably was more suited for a passing offense.

hookandladder
04-28-2009, 12:40 PM
No, he won't be the starting QB this season or anytime soon. Dallas drafted him and will groom him over the next couple of years. He didn't run a pro style offense at A&M, but the Cowboys believe he has the ability & potential to be a good pro QB. Tony Romo wasn't even drafted and there has been many others who over time developed their skills and became a starting QB. Let's give him some time and see what happens. Just curious, but what do you base your opinion on? The Cowboy's scouts like his size, his arm strength, mental toughness & how the young man handled the A&M run-oriented offense, even though he probably was more suited for a passing offense.

Armchair scouting.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
04-28-2009, 07:02 PM

Im sure thats what the cowboys were thinking when they drafted him, lets get a QB that cant start for us. You might have remember you said that when he is the starter in a few years.
Gig-em!

hookandladder
04-29-2009, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by FormerBellvilleBrahma
Im sure thats what the cowboys were thinking when they drafted him, lets get a QB that cant start for us. You might have remember you said that when he is the starter in a few years.
Gig-em!

If he becomes the starter in a few years, the cowboys will be really down as a team. Just do not think he will make it in the PRO's, many QB's have been drafted and have never panned out.

scrub c
04-29-2009, 08:59 AM
at least they drafted class and character...

duckhunter
04-29-2009, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by scrub c
at least they drafted class and character... cant say that bout cinncinati.....is it just me or does it seem like that team should be playing in a prison league, or maybe the xfl?

Bull's-eye
04-29-2009, 10:32 AM
If he becomes the starter in a few years, the cowboys will be really down as a team. Just do not think he will make it in the PRO's, many QB's have been drafted and have never panned out.

Here goes the arm-chair expert again! :doh: Don't know if you are die-hard Longhorn fan (I am), but don't let that cloud your thinking. If he becomes the next Tom Brady, the Cowboys could be doing great. Give the young man some support instead of being so negative. He is representing 3A football.