PDA

View Full Version : Player Recruitment in High School

Old Dog
06-20-2003, 04:02 PM
I'm not attempting to start a forest fire, just wanting to know general opinions. All the talk about small schools competing well in 3A seems to have struck some cords of envy here and there. Personally, I don't think there is any wholesale recruitment taking place, but I have been naive before. Naturally that would be frowned upon by the UIL....but there may be some boosters who quietly pursue this when possible. My own take is that when good programs rise to glorious heights, this causes parents of good athletes in far away places to seek "targets of opportunity", to help their youngster become better noticed.

A side note to PPHSfan, your satire on Celina offering work at the feed store and trailer park living who just too good. Your bedtime story had some deep thought too. You really should consider satire for supplemental income.

VWG
06-20-2003, 05:29 PM
Back in the 50's and early 60's Breckenridge was famous for luring athletes from other towns, and
getting jobs in the oilfield for the kids father.

I am sure that a little bit of that might go on in some areas of the state. I wouldn't say it was a widespread epidemic though.
There was a kid that used to play for Tech, Mickey Peters. Rumor had it he was lured to play in Weatherford and leave the small town of Seymour. Don't know how much truth that has to it, but that's the story that I was told.

eye of the tiger
06-20-2003, 07:37 PM
I think if it happens it probably happens when the kid is in 6th or 7th grade. Not near as obvious. There have also been stories about failing students in elementary school to give them another year to grow. I dont know of any of these things personally, but they do make for good stories.

sinton66
06-20-2003, 08:22 PM
Back in their heyday, Odessa Permian was well known for bringing people out of Houston. The oil companies all had offices in Houston, and when an employee had an athletic kid, he just got transferred. That one became fairly common knowledge. I think it would be much harder to do these days.

<small>[ June 20, 2003, 08:22 PM: Message edited by: sinton66 ]</small>

fwisd
06-21-2003, 08:40 PM
Mickey Peters dad took a coaching job at Weatherford - that's how he got there. Don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you see! LOL

Old Cardinal
06-22-2003, 12:04 AM
Back in the 50's, 60's and on into the 70's, the Oil Patch towns were notorous for hiring Roughnecks, Supervisors and Roust-abouts to agument the local football team with stout and fast sons. Also the rich little towns would hire Coaches and Teachers that had athletic prone kids. I remember one time when Hardin, TX has a kid that would really pass very well and they were quite successful, but had limited other talent. Well, Liberty was a classification above them and were loaded with hosses- and had graduated their star QB. Well, some how the star ended up over at Liberty, to complete Liberty's full house backfield, and this time Liberty was outstanding.

<small>[ June 22, 2003, 12:07 AM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>