PDA

View Full Version : Midland Lee

captain d
04-24-2009, 09:46 PM
Saw where Coach Rogers was in the final 4 for this job. Pretty late in the year, will he get it and what will Snyder do. Tough guy to replace!

Ranger Mom
04-24-2009, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by captain d
Saw where Coach Rogers was in the final 4 for this job. Pretty late in the year, will he get it and what will Snyder do. Tough guy to replace!

My husband has met Coach Rogers on the sidelines several times and thinks the world of him......but on the other hand, he thinks whoever takes this job is crazy!!

It is definitely a program in turmoil!

I think Freeman made a good choice staying put at Permian!

Ranger Mom
04-24-2009, 10:25 PM
They are saying on the LSWC site that Brad McCoy is a finalist too!:eek:

Ex-Tiger2005
04-24-2009, 10:26 PM
I will tell you that after playing for Coach Rogers the man is a GREAT coach i dont care what anyone has to say about him. He is a great leader and if Lee got him they would have got a Great one and us Tigers would be in trouble.

Ranger Mom
04-24-2009, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by Ex-Tiger2005
I will tell you that after playing for Coach Rogers the man is a GREAT coach i dont care what anyone has to say about him. He is a great leader and if Lee got him they would have got a Great one and us Tigers would be in trouble.

I tell you what, if he does get this job, I wish him the very best luck. Maybe he is what they need to turn this situation around and get back on track.'

Matthew328
04-25-2009, 04:43 PM
lots of rumors flying around about the Midland Lee job, including Rogers...will be a fun one to watch

RHCat1031
04-25-2009, 07:06 PM
Scott Ford out of Los Fresnos in the Rio Grande Valley is going to interview on Monday.

He's taken the Falcons to the third round of the 5A DII playoffs three years in a row.

Three district titles in a row....his program has produced 5 D1 prospects. Relatively unknown...but has taken a decent program down here to prominance here in the valley.

He's coached at Killeen(with Todd Dodge) from my understanding...was coached by Todd Dodge while at UNT also. Had stops at Leander and Joshua before migrating down to the valley.

He's had success since becoming the HC at Los Fresnos.

He'll be a good one....if he gets hired.

captain d
04-25-2009, 10:14 PM
Coach Ford sounds like a very good coach, however I think Rogers has the toughness and thick skin that could deal with that situation.

Ex-Tiger2005
04-28-2009, 11:19 AM
Any news on this situation yet?

Ranger Mom
04-28-2009, 11:31 AM
Coach Ford sounds like a very good coach, however I think Rogers has the toughness and thick skin that could deal with that situation.

He had a 5 hour interview yesterday and said he was really impressed with the principal :eek: and the superintendent :eek: :eek: !!!!

Sweetwater Red
04-28-2009, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
He had a 5 hour interview yesterday and said he was really impressed with the principal :eek: and the superintendent :eek: :eek: !!!!

Ford or Rogers?:confused:

Ranger Mom
04-28-2009, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Ford or Rogers?:confused:

Oops sorry....Ford!

Rogers has already interviewed from what I understand.

They are interviewing more this week.

Ex-Tiger2005
04-28-2009, 01:34 PM
How did Rogers interview go?

Ranger Mom
04-28-2009, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Ex-Tiger2005
How did Rogers interview go?

Here is the article that was in the Midland paper today:

The search for the new head football coach at Lee High School continued on Monday as Los Fresnos head coach Scott Ford was the latest candidate to interview for the job.

Ford, who confirmed his interview in Monday, is one of a handful of coaches who have either had contact with the district or interviewed for the job with visits to Midland. Also interviewing was Snyder head coach Chad Rogers, and Burleson head coach Mel Maxfield said last week that he has had contact with the district.

Midland Independent School District Executive Director of Athletics Todd Howey said that as many as two or possibly three more candidates will come to Midland this week to discuss the job. He did not reveal who else would be interviewing.

Early speculation on Randy Quisenberry’s replacement centered on former Brownwood coach and current Odessa Permian assistant Steve Freeman. Howey said he did talk to Freeman about the Lee job, but Permian coach Gary Gaines said on Monday that Freeman was staying in Odessa.

Rogers was one of the first coaches to interview for the job after it was posted, and said he is in a good situation in Snyder now but added the chance to coach at Lee was something he had to look into. Also, Rogers said he has dealt with Howey before on a number of occasions when Howey was working in Canyon.

“It’s obviously a job that is high profile in West Texas, maybe all of the state,” said Rogers, who has been at Snyder for 10 years and spent the last eight as the head coach. “I know coach Howey and trust coach Howey and that is part of the interest in the job. Plus, the history they have there at Lee is tremendous.”

Ford has spent six seasons in Los Fresnos where he has compiled a 58-15 record in that time, and built the program into one of the premier Class 5A programs in the Rio Grande Valley.

Ford, who is a native of Marshall, said Los Fresnos was his first head coaching job as he also had stints as an assistant at Cleburne and Killeen Ellison.

“I think it is probably one of the best 10 jobs in the state of Texas,” said Ford, who spent a few extra hours in Midland on Monday because of a delayed flight home. “I was really impressed with the superintendent, principal and athletic director. It was a great experience regardless of what happens.”

Maxfield said he has talked to district officials but did not say whether he had interviewed. Maxfield has been at Burleson since 2002.

“That’s one of those programs that I think anybody would have an interest in,” said Maxfield, who is a native of Gorman. “But right now, I’m still the coach here (in Burleson).”

Kelvin Ratliff, who was one of the eight finalists when the job was last filled in 2004 and a former Lee assistant, said last Friday he has not talked to MISD officials.

Link (http://mywesttexas.com/articles/2009/04/28/sports/top_stories/doc49f691f8bec96702345460.txt)

BwdLions
04-28-2009, 01:53 PM
They are saying on the LSWC site that Brad McCoy is a finalist too!:eek:

The only thing is if Brad knows he won't get the job, he won't officially apply. I do know from some very good sources that the Lee job is in the vacinity where he wants to be. ;)

Ex-Tiger2005
04-28-2009, 01:55 PM
I dont see a small school coach getting the job over these big school coaches...But maybe that is what they are looking for. I know we will be in a panic if he leaves!!!

BEAST
04-28-2009, 02:57 PM
Watch the cat from Burleson. I bet he gets it.

BEAST

Johnny Utah
04-28-2009, 03:53 PM
He is from Gorman, land of the Panthers, state title once in football as a player. Why not!!!

Black_Magic
04-28-2009, 04:45 PM
The Guy from Burleson is a great coach but he is not getting the job. does not matter how I know but he is not in the running anymore.

BEAST
04-28-2009, 04:49 PM
Well, if that is the case, I would say to the Snyder faithfull, get ready for a late season coach hunt.

BEAST

captain d
04-28-2009, 05:07 PM
This is a really tough situation. The kids at Lee may not have time for spring ball now. The coaches at Lee probably have contracts but need to know if they need to make other plans. Whoever gets it is leaving thier program, coaches and players in a spot.WOW!

GreenMonster
04-28-2009, 05:21 PM
This is a really tough situation. The kids at Lee may not have time for spring ball now. The coaches at Lee probably have contracts but need to know if they need to make other plans. Whoever gets it is leaving thier program, coaches and players in a spot.WOW! It's late, but it's not THAT late. Any new coach coming in will immediately start putting in his system anyway and from the list of folks they are talking to with all of the success their programs have enjoyed there is sure to be an assistant on those staffs ready to step in and take over immediately. As for the other coaches that might be leaving, all coaches know and understand the business and we all keep our resumes up to date and our contacts close at hand. They should all land on their feet. It's all part of the business and no one will be getting the shaft.

captain d
04-28-2009, 05:40 PM
So, lets see, make a decision end of this week, new coach comes in probably the next week, leaves about 2 1/2 weeks before finals. Plenty of time? Dang, these guys must be good! As for coaches knowing this is part of the deal, yes, but don't think for one minute when anyone that is in a leadership roll leaves a staff he has hired with families that somewhat count on him won't effected, that is insain to say. How about the coaches at Lee,what does a school do about a group that has already signed contracts? Then the players that you have spent all spring trying to build into a brotherhood based on trust and playing as a family. I would say tough!

Ranger Mom
04-28-2009, 08:52 PM
This is a really tough situation. The kids at Lee may not have time for spring ball now. The coaches at Lee probably have contracts but need to know if they need to make other plans. Whoever gets it is leaving thier program, coaches and players in a spot.WOW!

I could have sworn that I read an article in the Midland paper in the past couple of weeks that said Spring ball is OUT for this year!

LH Panther Mom
04-28-2009, 08:55 PM
So, lets see, make a decision end of this week, new coach comes in probably the next week, leaves about 2 1/2 weeks before finals. Plenty of time? Dang, these guys must be good! As for coaches knowing this is part of the deal, yes, but don't think for one minute when anyone that is in a leadership roll leaves a staff he has hired with families that somewhat count on him won't effected, that is insain to say. How about the coaches at Lee,what does a school do about a group that has already signed contracts? Then the players that you have spent all spring trying to build into a brotherhood based on trust and playing as a family. I would say tough!
It's not like there was really much choice, with the way the situation came about in the first place.

captain d
04-28-2009, 09:13 PM
Good point:)

injuredinmelee
04-28-2009, 09:23 PM
and built the program into one of the premier Class 5A programs in the Rio Grande Valley.

seriously now , is that a big compliment?

oline09
04-28-2009, 09:53 PM
Will interview a few other coaches this week? will it be a Steer,Buffalo or Tiger

kepdawg
04-28-2009, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
They won't have Spring ball(wont have time), and that'll put them behind the 8 ball considerably.
As for the coaches, they all have a job next year. District officials have until 45 business days before the last day of school to inform teachers if they won't have a job next year. That being said, they're not guaranteed a teaching or coaching job, but a job with the same pay. It is VERY late to tell someone they need to find a coaching job for next year. And yes, we know the deal, but that doesn't make it right. No one tells a cop who's been shot that he knew the deal when he took the job.

Actually I'm pretty sure statements pretty close to that regarding cops were made on 3ADL not too long ago.

kepdawg
04-28-2009, 11:36 PM
Prove it. I dont believe that anyone made the statement that police officers "knew when they took the job" in response to an officer being shot.

If you care so much you can find it. But I'll say it right now. The same goes for the military. They know the risks, or at least they should.

kepdawg
04-28-2009, 11:44 PM
About what I thought. All hat, no cattle.
Besides, it's easy to say when you're on the sidelines watching other people do it. My dad's a cop, Im obviously a coach and ex-military, my stepson is in the army, and we have several active military and ex-military on this board. It's a little different when you're the one in arena and not in the stands. Not that Id expect you to understand.

So are you telling me cops and military don't know the risks? Of course they do! Is it tactful to say they knew the risks when harmed? Of course not!

And I am very thankful for your dad and all the other cops and military personnel!

BwdLion73
04-29-2009, 11:11 AM
About what I thought. All hat, no cattle.
Besides, it's easy to say when you're on the sidelines watching other people do it. My dad's a cop, Im obviously a coach and ex-military, my stepson is in the army, and we have several active military and ex-military on this board. It's a little different when you're the one in arena and not in the stands. Not that Id expect you to understand.

Well, I happen to fall into the above catagory of people...minus the coach position and I think I knew going in what was possible.

I also recall my mother at the hospital after I was shot saying...."I told you this was going to happen" LOL

I don't have a hat or cattle.. but I have a Purple Heart.;)

Ranger Mom
04-29-2009, 11:24 AM
Only on the downlow could a thread about hiring a coach turn into a thread about a cop getting shot!!:doh:

Sweetwater Red
04-29-2009, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by BwdLion73
Well, I happen to fall into the above catagory of people...minus the coach position and I think I knew going in what was possible.

I also recall my mother at the hospital after I was shot saying...."I told you this was going to happen" LOL

I don't have a hat or cattle.. but I have a Purple Heart.;)

<insert smilie saluting here> :)

Ranger Mom
04-29-2009, 11:25 AM
<insert smilie saluting here> :)

Okay!!

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg62/Spock_CCF/salute_smiley.gif

Black_Magic
04-29-2009, 11:27 AM
Sweetwater Red has a Black heart..

Troybuilt
04-29-2009, 11:32 AM
Todd Howey is not very well liked and respected even less in the coaching community and Lee will never get a quality guy for that position as long as he is in the mix. And if they do, he will not last long. The problems run deep in Rebel country.

Sweetwater Red
04-29-2009, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
Sweetwater Red has a Black heart..

Hey are you looking at houses in Midland yet?:evillol:

Sweetwater Red
04-29-2009, 11:35 AM
Okay!!

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg62/Spock_CCF/salute_smiley.gif

Thank you. I've got to figure out how to use those one of these
days.

BwdLion73
04-29-2009, 11:37 AM
Only on the downlow could a thread about hiring a coach turn into a thread about a cop getting shot!!:doh:

Sorry to get off topic...I hope the new Midland Lee coach does not get shot....but he should have known coming into that position that it was a possibility...and I hope he does not bring the swine flu with him to try to get all spring practice stopped across Texas.

:thinking:

Ranger Mom
04-29-2009, 11:49 AM
Sorry to get off topic...I hope the new Midland Lee coach does not get shot....but he should have known coming into that position that it was a possibility...and I hope he does not bring the swine flu with him to try to get all spring practice stopped across Texas.

:thinking:

LOL!!!

I honestly feel sorry for whoever takes this job!!

Black_Magic
04-29-2009, 01:26 PM
Sorry to get off topic...I hope the new Midland Lee coach does not get shot....but he should have known coming into that position that it was a possibility
:thinking: why on earth would you say something like that??:doh:

BwdLion73
04-29-2009, 01:36 PM
Because I got off topic...silly:doh:

wildstangs
04-29-2009, 02:01 PM
Midland Lee will be ok, even this late in the year. Lee usually has some great athletes, and it looks like they will be getting a great coach who has done a great job of turning around programs (either Los Fresnos or Snyder).

Remember, 4 teams go to the playoffs and the Amarillo and Lubbock schools aren't near as strong as they used to be.

Matthew328
04-29-2009, 03:11 PM
finalists from what I am hearing are Scott Ford and James Morton with Tam Hollingshead trying to throw his name in the mix late

Ex-Tiger2005
04-29-2009, 03:13 PM
Why was Coach Rogers left out? Why is the Lee job so bad right now?

Sweetwater Red
04-29-2009, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
finalists from what I am hearing are Scott Ford and James Morton with Tam Hollingshead trying to throw his name in the mix late

What schools are Morton and Hollingshead currently at?

wildstangs
04-29-2009, 03:15 PM
What schools are Morton and Hollingshead currently at?

Morton = Monterey
Believe Hollingshead works for SMU

Matthew328
04-29-2009, 03:19 PM
Ford was offered the job but was only allowed to bring 2 coaches so he said thanks but no thanks...Morton is the man at Midland Lee

turbostud
04-29-2009, 03:26 PM
Ford was offered the job but was only allowed to bring 2 coaches so he said thanks but no thanks...Morton is the man at Midland Lee

Los Fresnos peeps are saying the same thing.

wildstangs
04-29-2009, 03:28 PM
If that is true - heck its Matt328, how could it not be true - Lee got them a very good coach. Also opens up a pretty good job at Lubbock Monty.