PDA

View Full Version : Synergy: Do other sports compliment football & others?

Old Cardinal
09-09-2003, 03:20 PM
(1.)I was just looking at the QB situation in Bridge City and all four that are being trained on the Varsity are nearly year-round Select Team Baseball pitchers and/or infielders. I think that helps in throwing a football.
(2.) Two brothers Doug Carlton Junior 6' 5" 235# tackle can nail a field goal at 45 yards, while his little brother Carl Carlton, a Ninth grader has actually scored on a 25 yard field goal, and in training has done must better. Both are long-time soccer stars.
(3) Many track participants gain there speed, with football in mind.
(4) Good basketball training seems to compliment some football skills.
(5) I watch Ben Myers, receive punts with ease, I wonder if being a year round select team baseball catcher, hones his skills?
(6) Having a giant Jr. Hi. Cross Country program, seems to give future players an edge on both speed and stamina.
(7) I watched Coach Cody Knight, get all the Year round Softball girls to enter the District sprint races(7th & 8th). It was interesting; for the most part the Beaumont Blast programs' Select girls from various school Districts, won nearly all the top spots! Remember they sprint year round.
(8) I conclude that alternate sport training gives some special skill training that is utilized in football and other sports.

Do you have any examples of this, to share?

<small>[ September 09, 2003, 03:23 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

Chief Woodman
09-09-2003, 03:39 PM
Not necessarly so.....What about Michael Jordan in Baseball?

Our boys cross county in the last few years have been state champs and always seem to be in the state title hunt....before we started winning in football.

In our previous district which included 2 years with Graham, Vernon and Iowa park...were were track champs, basketball champs, cross country champs and baseball champs but did not make the playoffs in football.

Same athletes.....different results. Last year was district champs in all but Baseball (Lake Dallas). While it is necessary to have good athletes, success in one sport does not ensure success in the others. Howerver keep in mind that the school that has the most good athletes tend to do best.

big69
09-09-2003, 03:42 PM
I can see where track can help out on speed and basketball help out on have quick feet and running short sprints, plus powerlifting really helps on strength, thats what you need in football! Quick feet, strength and the ability to run (short or long distance)!

ALLSPORTSGUY
09-09-2003, 05:38 PM
I believe the reason you see such ability in those guys as well as at other schools where athletes play year round sports is called dedication to training in whatever sport you choose. Athletes who put forth that extra effort even when there isn't a coach in sight plus God given talent makes for an exceptional athlete.

Bandera YaYa
09-09-2003, 06:33 PM
Oh man, just take a look at what playing soccer can do for playiing football...endurance, speed, eye coordination...the skills are endless!

Too bad they overlap in seasons. I know several of our Champs played soccer after football ended and guess what????? ...they could hardly keep up with all the running required in soccer!!!! Just goes to prove you have to be in tip top shape to play soccer! :D :D

Peace and Ya Ya!!

crzyjournalist03
09-09-2003, 06:34 PM
Old Card, you had better hope Phil C doesn't see that you indirectly called soccer a "sport". eek!

slpybear the bullfan
09-09-2003, 11:45 PM
crzyjournalist03:
Old Card, you had better hope Phil C doesn't see that you indirectly called soccer a "sport". eek! Hmmm.... I always thought soccer was a political excercise in the atheletic arena? Who Knew?

Seriously, Football and Baseball go together like peas and carrots in this state.

District303aPastPlayer
09-10-2003, 01:04 AM
Jerry Jurach: Sintons FG kicker last year... was a soccer kicker
Adrian Alaniz: Sinton QB... 4 year pitcher starter
Travis Franco: Current Sinton RB... ran the 100 and 200 in Jr High
Dustin Borderlon: Sinton LB(?), state qualifier in track...
Herman Wright, Odem(3a): All So. Tx. Center Field, All So. Tx. WR, was also a sprinter and ran cross country. was one of the purest athletes i've ever seen.
Just some examples...