PDA

View Full Version : Robert Griffin to concentrate on football

Emerson1
04-22-2009, 05:59 PM
Fast track for Griffin means football
10:21 PM Tue, Apr 21, 2009
Chuck Carlton

http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2009/04/fast-track-for-griffin-means-football.html?npc

Baylor sophomore quarterback Robert Griffin faced a choice this spring.

He could defend his 400-meter hurdles title in the Big 12. Or he could concentrate on football and bulk up by about eight to 10 pounds.

The winner: football. Coach Art Briles said Tuesday that "at this point" Griffin won't be competing in track.

"That to me shows a lot of vision for Robert, a lot of focus and a lot of team togetherness," Briles said. "What he's doing is sacrificing an opportunity to defend his Big 12 title in the 400 hurdles for this football team and for the other players on this team. That's part of being a great leader."

Briles sees the extra size and strength making a difference next season, although Griffin broke more than his share of tackles en route to rushing for 843 yards and 13 touchdowns last season as an 18-year-old true freshman.

"He's much stronger physically," Briles said. "It's unquestioned in that capacity. I think without a doubt we're going to see plays made this year that might not have been made last year because of his physical presence, physical strength."

If you need a video reminder, here's what Griffin did early last season against Washington State:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUDvLUqwF1I
------

Griffin won the big 12 400M hurdle title as an early enrollee, so he was running as a HS senior basically.

Electus Unus
04-22-2009, 06:51 PM
Bad idea IMO.

4x100jackets
04-22-2009, 08:33 PM
I bet the track coach is pissed... I would be !!!

sahen
04-23-2009, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by 4x100jackets
I bet the track coach is pissed... I would be !!!

the track coach has won his share of battles w/ football players over the years (for example Jeremy Wariner was a Wide Receiver)...they left it up to the kid and that is the way it should be...Griffin probably thinks he has a shot at the NFL, maybe not at QB but somewhere...plus its not like he isnt running at all, i wouldnt be shocked if he went back to track after college if he cant get into the NFL...the guy is just a freak athlete....

in my opinion this is obviously best for Baylor, it will be best for Griffin if he gets to play in the NFL one day.....that remains to be seen...i hope for his sake he does, regardless the kid is a great team player and i wouldn't be shocked that he did it more for the team than himself...

Johnny Utah
04-23-2009, 09:07 AM
If the kid chose on his own, no problem. He is on scholarship for football. Unique situation.

4x100jackets
04-23-2009, 09:50 AM
True

Rocket Dad
04-23-2009, 10:32 AM
It is dangerous when you tag a player as a great team player, great young man, etc. All fall short of perfection. Perhaps those that watched the Baylor QB in high school get ejected from a big game and argue with the referee and then walk off the field may not think he is a great team guy. I'm not taking sides, just saying that be careful how you tag someone because others see opposite sometime.

BEAST
04-23-2009, 11:38 AM
I was at that game. Brownwoods linebacker knocked him into next week. He couldnt control himself after that and got ejected. I couldnt believe he was even going to play football in college. In my opinion, he could be an olympic athlete. But he did a pretty good job for Baylor last year.

BEAST

sahen
04-23-2009, 02:07 PM
I dont care what the kid did in high school, he has been the epitome of class and team athlete while at Baylor...and when you tag a kid as a great team player or young man they dont ALL fall short.....i am not looking for the kid to be perfect, i am expecting him to show the same disdain he did last year for losing while being an all around team player like he did last year....that isn't too much to ask and if he screws up a time or two along the way its no big deal as long as he rights his wrongs...the guy is a great athlete and is super smart, exactly what Baylor needs in a quarterback...

honestly, i am shocked he decided to hang up the running spikes for now....i dont think there is much question that he could have been an olympian (injury withstanding)...the kid won the big 12 last year in the 400m hurdles and was 3rd at the NCAA meet, all this in his first half year at Baylor (notice, he was supposed to be in his senior year of highschool not college at this time)....i dont remember where he finished at the olympic trials but i remember he did pretty good...however, maybe the kid likes football more, i dunno but i can say as a Baylor alum that i am happy with his decision, its definitely the best for our football team and they need much more help than the track guys....