PDA

View Full Version : Do you have credit cards?

Ranger Mom
04-22-2009, 09:58 AM
I paid all mine off and cut them up years ago.

The only time I missed it is when I needed to reserve a motel room or rent a car......but, since the debit cards work for that now.....I haven't missed them a bit.

I am stunned sometimes to see where people STILL have several major credit cards and every department store credit card they can get!

BreckTxLonghorn
04-22-2009, 10:01 AM
Trying to pay all of mine off. Don't owe a ton, but the naivete of youth didn't help the balances. Don't use them anymore unless I have the money to pay it off and simply reap the airline miles/points.

They can be very very good for you if managed correctly; unfortunately, not many people can.

GreenMonster
04-22-2009, 10:09 AM
I've been 100% credit card free for several years now. If I can't afford it, I just have to wait until I can. It took what seems like forever to pay off that last one.

lostaussie
04-22-2009, 10:22 AM
i have two. never use 1 of them and pay the other off every month if there is a balance. mostly just used for hotel resevations and travel.

Electus Unus
04-22-2009, 10:26 AM
I owe like $460 on my only one.

STANG RED
04-22-2009, 10:40 AM
I have several major credit cards, and with them comes about a $100K credit line. This is a good thing to have! But it comes with the responsibility to not abuse it. I pay them off every month. But it is nice to know that it's there, if an emergency comes up.

I have one card I strictly use for business expenses only. I use it for all of my lodging, meals, and/or anything that can be written off as a legit expense required for me to do my job. This works out great, because I can go to my online account, download my expenses directly to my accounting software, and boom, my bookkeeping for the month is practically done.

So, I personally love my credit cards, because they make my life easy and worry free while away from home. And my credit score just keep going higher and higher because of my credit/debt ratio being so low. But I’ll admit it took me many years to get to this point, and there were certainly a few hiccups along the way. But I did learn valuable lessons from those mistakes. Now I just make the credit cards work for me, instead of me working for them.

pancho villa
04-22-2009, 10:45 AM
The Villas are finally free of the credit card strangle hold.

waterboy
04-22-2009, 10:45 AM
I have one credit card and one debit card. I use the debit card exclusively now. I don't remember actually writing a check in years. The credit card does have a balance, but it is definitely getting paid down every month. The only reason there is a balance there is because we had to use it when our house burned down, :( although we do use it to reserve motel rooms and such. My wife was 5-1/2 months pregnant and I had a 2-1/2 year-old when our home burned. We lost everything we owned and did not have insurance. I had just inherited the home from my mother and had to do some repairs to renew the insurance. Didn't have time to get it done. That's okay, though, thanks to many friends, co-workers, and churches that made contributions to help us. Fortunately, at the time we were saving money to buy us a new home, and we had just become debt-free......at least until this happened. You'd be surprised at all the little things you need when you have to start all over from scratch. :dispntd:

BEAST
04-22-2009, 10:56 AM
No cards here other than my bussines card. I pay cash or I dont buy it.

BEAST

poisoned10
04-22-2009, 11:08 AM
No place will let me have one, and that's a good thing!

Bull's-eye
04-22-2009, 11:18 AM
I have one card that pays a 2% rebate on gas purchases. I always pay it off and get a bonus check once or twice a year.

3afan
04-22-2009, 11:44 AM
I have my Citi MC that I get American Advantage miles for every doller, we use it alot but luckliy we can keep the balance low

RedWhiteBlue
04-22-2009, 11:51 AM
Nope

lakers
04-22-2009, 01:59 PM
2 debit cards but no credit cards for me...

I definitely dont even want to own a credit card, if I dont have the money I dont buy it. Plain and simple

garciap77
04-22-2009, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
Trying to pay all of mine off. Don't owe a ton, but the naivete of youth didn't help the balances. Don't use them anymore unless I have the money to pay it off and simply reap the airline miles/points.

They can be very very good for you if managed correctly; unfortunately, not many people can.

I used my c.c. at Ray's Grocery & Market!
:D

Them Brisket Sandwiches were good!:D

I'm going to run my c.c. up and then as Obama for a bailout!;)

waterboy
04-22-2009, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by garciap77

I'm STILL waiting on my check!;)

BreckTxLonghorn
04-22-2009, 03:07 PM

Glad you made it there!!

Always a solid brisket there, too. But, c'mon, tell me you tried the Chopped....you have to try the chopped.

sahen
04-22-2009, 03:40 PM
i have one...it's an astros mastercard one that pays points i can use for games and stuff...it was pretty good until i got a notice the other day in the mail that they were changing the rates from my low interest to a variable prime +4% every month...i never missed a payment or anything on the card so i'm undecided on what to do w/ it now...they say dont close credit card accounts but im not big on the variable thing since the interest is at a very low rate now and my apr on the card got raised 6% anyway, its only going to go up from here....oh, i have no balance on the card as of last month as well...i may just use it every month and pay it off but i dont like to have the risk of not being able to pay it off and potentially high interest on it...

on a side note: all of yall with credit cards expect your interest rates to be risen in the near future...new law that doesnt allow credit card companies to raise rates for no reason will go into effect sometime in 2010...good law but they gave the credit card companies a year and a half to raise rates before this law goes into effect so most people are getting surprising rate changes for no reason even long term customers...for example, my parents had their credit card rate raised on a card they had for 28 years and never missed a payment on...and they raised it about 12%, they talked to the company and they lowered it some but they still overall had their rate raised 2.5%...ridiculous if you ask me, but its the way it is now...

garciap77
04-22-2009, 03:44 PM
Glad you made it there!!

Always a solid brisket there, too. But, c'mon, tell me you tried the Chopped....you have to try the chopped.

It was not the chopped! You did not tell me that was the best! Now I have to wait till next year! The kid serving was the owner's son.

squid
04-22-2009, 03:48 PM
there appear to be quite a few Dave Ramsey-heads on this thread, thats a good thing!!

No credit cards here, I'll never have another one. And in about 3 years I'll have a 15 yr mortgage paid off, having done it in 10 yrs.

Keith7
04-22-2009, 03:50 PM

You've already been able to do that for years smart guy, its called bankruptcy..

garciap77
04-22-2009, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by squid
there appear to be quite a few Dave Ramsey-heads on this thread, thats a good thing!!

No credit cards here, I'll never have another one. And in about 3 years I'll have a 15 yr mortgage paid off, having done it in 10 yrs.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

garciap77
04-22-2009, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
You've already been able to do that for years smart guy, its called bankruptcy..

Thanks for the info!:D

;)

CHS_CG
04-22-2009, 04:12 PM
I have one and up until I lost my job it got paid in full every month.. just for the credit/ points... I am still paying a good amnt every month on it so I am not worried about it.

sinfan75
04-22-2009, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I paid all mine off and cut them up years ago.

The only time I missed it is when I needed to reserve a motel room or rent a car......but, since the debit cards work for that now.....I haven't missed them a bit.

I am stunned sometimes to see where people STILL have several major credit cards and every department store credit card they can get! all I have is a debit card. I write one check a month and that's for my water bill. I do alot better with my bank account now too because i ain't got checks out all over the place and i'm actually saving more money because I can just go on-line and see how i'm doin on cash. i actually transfer 2 or 3 hundred a month into savings.

rockdale80
04-22-2009, 07:12 PM
I put my monthly expenses on my one of 3 CC's and pay them down to $50 each every month. It is a good way to build a good credit score. They stay in my desk drawer so I only use them on things I need to. I do have a lowes card too, but it is mostly for business purchases.

mwynn05
04-22-2009, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by rockdale80
I put my monthly expenses on my one of 3 CC's and pay them down to $50 each every month. It is a good way to build a good credit score. They stay in my desk drawer so I only use them on things I need to. I do have a lowes card too, but it is mostly for business purchases. lol hows that 21% interest rate treating you

gobbler grad
04-22-2009, 08:59 PM

100% agree:thinking:

Trashman
04-22-2009, 09:30 PM
One CC for business purposes and one debit for personal use. The CC is paid in full every month.

rockdale80
04-22-2009, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by mwynn05
lol hows that 21% interest rate treating you

????:confused:

I. B. Watching
04-23-2009, 07:13 AM
I use gas cards, but pay them off at the end of the month. I do a lot of traveling and its more convenient for me. I don't carry a personal debit card. My wife does though.

catgut
04-23-2009, 08:18 AM
I use one, but I always make sure I pay it off at the end of the month before any interest gets charged.

SintonFan
04-23-2009, 11:42 AM
We paid all ours off a few years ago.
Now we're trying to accelerate paying off all our debt, house included. Hope to be totally debt-free soon. DAVE RAMSEY RULES!!!:D

BuffyMars
04-23-2009, 11:49 AM
this is the sole reason terry and i don't own our own home. credit card debt in college ruined my credit.

its slowly getting better...one bill at a time.

garciap77
04-23-2009, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by BuffyMars
this is the sole reason terry and i don't own our own home. credit card debt in college ruined my credit.

its slowly getting better...one bill at a time.

:2thumbsup