PDA

View Full Version : I sometimes wonder what goes through coaches minds

coach
04-21-2009, 09:44 PM
i am not bashing this coach...i jst think this story needs to be told...

I am working at the country club in nacogdoches and the 1a Region 3 golf tournament is being held there.

Remember the top 2 teams advance to Austin at a chance for a state championship....

Lapointer and Big Sandy are tied for second at the end of the day, so there has to be a playoff.. Well we can't find Big Sandy's coach to inform him that his team has to play one hole to determine the 2nd place winner. We don't have his cell number or anyway of contacting him. His team is no where to be found. We look for 45 min. and finally we get his number...He is in Henderson eating with his team...He tells us that he thought they didn't have a shot in hell to win so he took his team on home...So we call UIL and they tell us if there is no one there to challenge Lapointer for a tiebraker then that team is DQ. We call the coach and he goes nuts. He said we can drive back it's not that far...It is 8 pm and there is noway hey can get back in time to play a playoff before dark.The coach just cost his team at a shot at a state championship. To me this is unbelievable. What do you tell the parents? What do you tell your kids? Sorry uys i gave up on you and didn't think yall were good enough, but in reality yall are and we can't go bc i left early......Wow!

Electus Unus
04-21-2009, 09:50 PM
http://www.thebbps.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/facepalm.jpg

Trashman
04-21-2009, 10:03 PM
That coach just made my "Idiot of the Week".:D

Emerson1
04-21-2009, 10:58 PM
My first 2 years of HS my golf coach was really the basketball coach. My JR and SR year though we had a real, full time golf coach who could actually shoot around par.

BaseballUmp
04-21-2009, 11:05 PM
Well our golf coach was also our OC and formerly the HC/AD but hes also a hell of a golfer

zebrablue2
04-21-2009, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by Trashman
That coach just made my "Idiot of the Week".:D

mine also!

BaseballUmp
04-21-2009, 11:09 PM
Thats a shame though. Very unfortunate for those kids

Looking4number8
04-21-2009, 11:21 PM
Can we start a coach bashing page? I have some things I would like to say but not get banned! Why cant we have a page for that and the coaches have a page for parnet bashing... it only seems fair!

Looking4number8
04-21-2009, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by coach
..So we call UIL and they tell us if there is no one there to challenge Lapointer for a tiebraker then that team is DQ.

Funny, he got DQ'ed for going to DQ!

Farmersfan
04-22-2009, 07:53 AM
I assume this level of play is basically the same as the pro tourneys were the leading teams gets last tee off times. So the fact that this team had time to finish their round and get almost home and be in the middle of eating tells me that they must have been a LONG way behind when they left. No coach "sponsor" would allow his team to leave if he though there was even a small chance at a playoff.... So whatever happened in the tourney after they left must have been quite a bit out of the ordinary. Can you give us any numbers like how far behind they were when they decided they didn't stand a chance of winning?

OldBison75
04-22-2009, 08:10 AM
It does not matter what the scores were when he decided that his team did not have a chance. Anybody that has ever played golf, especially in a high school tourney, knows thatyou can easily gain or lose 2 or 3 strokes on any hole. Over the final four or five holes that can add up real quick. If you are within 20 strokes after nine holes, you are still in the chase in high school since it is a team aggregate scorecord.

This coach should be on the poster for the MHMR website.