PDA

View Full Version : Have any of you "do-it-yourselfers"...

Ranger Mom
04-20-2009, 10:40 AM
ever built a waterfall??

I have a pond in my backyard that I want to build a waterfall for.

I want a waterfall that falls into the pond, (not trickles down rocks) and have limited room to build it.

Has anyone built one?? If so, what is the best pump to use? Rock placement? Anything?????

I have looked online and can find pictures and a few instructions, but none detailed enough for me to understand!!

Any advice would be appreciated!!!!

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-20-2009, 10:42 AM
What you do is build an elevated platform and let the water fall off of the edge of it into the pond below. Women, trying to make things complicated all the time. :hand:

Black_Magic
04-20-2009, 10:48 AM
I have built a couple. You can go to a farm and ranch supply and buy a small plastic watering basin 25-35 gallon. Dig a hole so it fits in it. Buy a water pump with a few feet ( 6-8 feet) of plastic tubes to move water from pump to water fall. I bought a carved black bear in ruiodoso that was a peeing bear. I went out and got a bunch of flat sand stones ( not too flat or thin ) about 2 inches thick of more and stacked them so that the bear peed on to the stones them down the rocks. Or you can just place the tube under a couple of stones at the very top and then let it go. You can also put gold fish in there.. most the hard ware can be bough at a hardware or farm and ranch store.

Ranger Mom
04-20-2009, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
What you do is build an elevated platform and let the water fall off of the edge of it into the pond below. Women, trying to make things complicated all the time. :hand:

Well....that's what I tried with my last disaster of a waterfall!!:(

I had a black plastic pond in that area and tried to build a waterfall...it ended up "falling" everywhere else, but the pond.

This time.....I took the plastic pond out...dug a hole and cemented the pond. There is a recessed area in the back of the pond for the pump. I sat a big rock over the top of the recessed area and after that area is built up some with rock, that is where I want the waterfall to be.

My only problem is trying to figure out how to make it run over the front of the rock into the pond and not over the sides, where the the pond ISN'T!!

lakers
04-21-2009, 05:07 PM
This is the only picture of our pond that we have at our house (from 2 years ago) and it looks a lot better now. On the far end we built at water fall about 2 feet tall with a pile of sand covered in a black tarp with rocks overhanging to have a small waterfall. It makes the pond look really neat and my little bro (takes care of the pond) started cleaning up the pond to get it going again this year.
My grandfather also built a waterfall with rocks and mortar, he claims they are too much trouble to mess with and tore it down.
It you are really into ponds, join a pond club. We hardly ever have to buy plants anymore, we just get them from other pond members which saves a lot of money.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z214/jmakers/HPIM1245.jpg

STANG RED
04-21-2009, 05:15 PM
Lowe's has a good magazine all about waterfalls that might be good. I know I've looked at their books on outdoor kitchens, and other things. There usually pretty good and detailed. Most Lowe's have a big mag rack just inside the entry door, for most any do it yourself projects. That's where I'd start if it were me.

tex_male
04-21-2009, 06:02 PM
Get a rock hammer and chip away from the center out to where you want the water to flow and elevate the back side of the rocks. As for a water pump get one with a high GPM

Any fish in this pond?

turbostud
04-21-2009, 09:40 PM
Check this site out. Lots of info and links. Dont know if Neil Sperry does ponds, but he is the Pro when it comes to gardening.

Neil Sperry (http://www.neilsperry.com/)

turbostud
04-21-2009, 09:43 PM
Here ya go RangerMom. Got this off Neil Sperry's site.

Creative Gardens (http://www.creativewatergardens.net/)

Ranger Mom
04-21-2009, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by tex_male
Get a rock hammer and chip away from the center out to where you want the water to flow and elevate the back side of the rocks. As for a water pump get one with a high GPM

Any fish in this pond?

LOL!! Right now there isn't even any water in it!! I will check out the sites provided. I have rocks that I have accumulated from different projects and don't want to have to go out and buy anything....which is where I am stumped. I don't know if I have anything that is going to be big enough to run a waterfall off of.

That....and the fact that my husband and I usually work very well together on these projects....this one hasn't been such smooth going. Where I want natural looking rock he is content to cement EVERYTHING!! ARGHHH!!!!

lakers
04-21-2009, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
Pond club?

Yes a POND CLUB!

My grandpa and my little brother are apart of one in Abilene and it pays off.

Ranger Mom
04-21-2009, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by lakers
Yes a POND CLUB!

My grandpa and my little brother are apart of one in Abilene and it pays off.

I hadn't even given a second thought to putting plants in the pond, heck..I haven't even decided if I will have fish!

Do fish have to live in ponds that are a certain depth to survive the winter?? I would hate to freeze one. But.....if I put fish in it, I am afraid my dogs will always be in it trying to get them!

tex_male
04-22-2009, 08:32 AM
In West Texas you want it to be 3 ft deep so they stay below the freeze line during winter.

garciap77
04-22-2009, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
LOL!! Right now there isn't even any water in it!! I will check out the sites provided. I have rocks that I have accumulated from different projects and don't want to have to go out and buy anything....which is where I am stumped. I don't know if I have anything that is going to be big enough to run a waterfall off of.

That....and the fact that my husband and I usually work very well together on these projects....this one hasn't been such smooth going. Where I want natural looking rock he is content to cement EVERYTHING!! ARGHHH!!!!

Yeah! Cement everything!! I'm with your husband on this one!:D

;)

Ranger Mom
04-22-2009, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by garciap77
Yeah! Cement everything!! I'm with your husband on this one!:D

;)

Yeah.....well he lost that argument!!

turbostud
04-22-2009, 05:07 PM
Then you would have a cement pond!

Originally posted by garciap77