PDA

View Full Version : Spurs home town refs.

Farmersfan
04-18-2009, 08:04 PM
Fouls are 14-0 in favor of Spurs in the second quarter alone. Berrea has be called twice already for fouls on Parker charges. Don't tell me the league doesn't fix games!!!!!!!!!

PhiI C
04-18-2009, 08:35 PM
The game is close. Why are you complaining?

WylieBulldog92
04-18-2009, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
Fouls are 14-0 in favor of Spurs in the second quarter alone. Berrea has be called twice already for fouls on Parker charges. Don't tell me the league doesn't fix games!!!!!!!!!
I'll tell you they aren't fixing this game, they don't want Spurs in the finals if anything. Spurs = bad ratings. Think 5 seconds before you speak with just mad rage, I learned that from the Marquette thread a few weeks ago.

Daddy D 11
04-18-2009, 08:48 PM
I don't think they are fixing this game, but I have thought for the longest time that the league fixes games or atleast pushes for teams to lose certain games in the playoffs to extend the series for ratings boosts.

PhiI C
04-18-2009, 08:50 PM
Because of the ratings I think the NBA would prefer the final to be LA vs the Celtics. The Cavs would work because of Lebron if Boston didn't make it.

PurpleFreddy
04-18-2009, 09:36 PM
I don't believe fouls are called or not called based on teams ... however, I do believe there is a "star" system that applies to officiating. Certain players get the benefit of the doubt. J.J. Barrea is definitely not a star, so he doesn't get the calls in the playoffs.
Remember Jordan pushing off to shoot the game-winning three-pointer versus the Jazz in the finals many years ago?

I. B. Watching
04-18-2009, 09:57 PM
Great win for the Mavs. Tremendous effort down the stretch to hold off San Antonio. I was worried with Dallas' well-documented road woes. This will be a great series. I would love for the Mavs to go up 2-0, but I don't think that will happen

PhiI C
04-18-2009, 10:26 PM
What a sorry job in the second half by the Spurs home town refs. They need to be fired.

:mad:

bwdlionfan
04-19-2009, 01:07 AM

Oh get over it... The announcers said the Spurs take (was it the least or second least) free throw attempts of any team in the NBA.... sounds like they haven't gotten the calls all season

Bull's-eye
04-19-2009, 01:16 AM
This is why I didn't want to face the Mavs in the playoffs, they have been playing very good basketball of late and they have several dangerous offensive weapons. Mavs shoot almost 54%, led by Howard with 25 points. Barea is being used in a much bigger role, something I keyed on a few months back. SA will be hard to defeat in a series, but the Mavs are on a good roll.

coach
04-19-2009, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by PurpleFreddy
I don't believe fouls are called or not called based on teams ... however, I do believe there is a "star" system that applies to officiating. Certain players get the benefit of the doubt. J.J. Barrea is definitely not a star, so he doesn't get the calls in the playoffs.
Remember Jordan pushing off to shoot the game-winning three-pointer versus the Jazz in the finals many years ago?

what are you talking about? jordan didnt shoot a 3

Farmersfan
04-19-2009, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by WylieBulldog92
I'll tell you they aren't fixing this game, they don't want Spurs in the finals if anything. Spurs = bad ratings. Think 5 seconds before you speak with just mad rage, I learned that from the Marquette thread a few weeks ago.

You are correct. I reacted to some very, very bad calls by the refs and vented on this forum. Sorry for that! But if the fouls called are 14-0 in favor of one team then we have a problem. But the Mavs pulled it out dispite my ranting, bad ref calls and biased announcers. Great job!

Bull's-eye
04-19-2009, 09:55 AM
In basketball, fouls don't have to be even or close between two teams. A team that is more aggressive or drives to the hoop will get more fouls than a team that shoots from the perimeter. I didn't see the first half, but I did notice Barea drawing a couple of offensive fouls later in the game. IMO, the refs called the 2nd half very well.

Farmersfan
04-19-2009, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
In basketball, fouls don't have to be even or close between two teams. A team that is more aggressive or drives to the hoop will get more fouls than a team that shoots from the perimeter. I didn't see the first half, but I did notice Barea drawing a couple of offensive fouls later in the game. IMO, the refs called the 2nd half very well.

I think you are completely wrong! Whether or not the refs give a team the calls will determine the extent of their aggressiveness. Two really, really marginal calls against Dirk last night took him completely out of the game in the first half. (3 fouls and 3 points I think). Were they fouls? Maybe, but at least 100 times in that game worse fouls happened and weren't called. The refs have the ability to completely determine how a team plays.

Bull's-eye
04-19-2009, 03:22 PM
I think you are completely wrong! Whether or not the refs give a team the calls will determine the extent of their aggressiveness. Two really, really marginal calls against Dirk last night took him completely out of the game in the first half. (3 fouls and 3 points I think). Were they fouls? Maybe, but at least 100 times in that game worse fouls happened and weren't called. The refs have the ability to completely determine how a team plays.

I think most coaches & players ask for the refs to be consistent and call it the same both ways. I agree some of those ticky tack calls can take a player out of the game or limit his aggressiveness, but just because there is a large disparity of fouls called, that doesn't mean the refs were favoring one team. I'm sure players like Tim Duncan will draw more fouls than a player that settles for outside jumpers. Yes, there is some star treatment, but usually the better players are more difficult to defend and they will tend to draw more fouls.

zebrablue2
04-19-2009, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye

:iagree: