PDA

View Full Version : Donating bone marrow

bullfrog_alumni_02
04-16-2009, 03:04 PM
i got an email today from the national bone marrow foundation. i am a match to donate bone marrow to a little boy who is 7 and has leukemia. at first i was shocked that someone actually needed my bone marrow, but then once that sunk in i feel a certain heir of enjoyment and responsibility that i am able to enable someone else to live and hopefully that life will be a long and happy one. i know i havent been on here in a while. just been dealing with alot of stuff from over there. but this does help me to feel better. im sure i wont think/feel this way right after the surgery as im sure its gonna hurt like no tomorrow, but its alright because in the end ill know i did the right thing.

zebrablue2
04-16-2009, 08:45 PM
bless you for doing this! I know I would also. there is no greater joy than giving the gift of life. prayers out to the 7 yr. old.

CHS_CG
04-17-2009, 12:28 AM
Good luck with everything John.. I am sure you will be fine afterwards and you will have the joy of knowing that 7 year old will be greatful for what you have done!

Ranger Mom
04-17-2009, 09:05 AM
That is awesome John!!!

When will you be doing this?

waterboy
04-17-2009, 09:15 AM
That is awesome. I'll pray for you and the boy. I can relate a little to the situation. My oldest brother died in '01 from leukemia. He didn't have insurance at the time, either, so he wasn't offered the best of care. It's kind of a sore spot for me because I know that had he had insurance he might have had more options as to the care he could've gotten. The sad thing is, he lost his job because he was getting sick a lot and missed too many days. By the time the doctors found out what was causing his illnesses it was too late. He had already been let go.

bullfrog_alumni_02
04-17-2009, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
That is awesome. I'll pray for you and the boy. I can relate a little to the situation. My oldest brother died in '01 from leukemia. He didn't have insurance at the time, either, so he wasn't offered the best of care. It's kind of a sore spot for me because I know that had he had insurance he might have had more options as to the care he could've gotten. The sad thing is, he lost his job because he was getting sick a lot and missed too many days. By the time the doctors found out what was causing his illnesses it was too late. He had already been let go. i dont support socialized health care, however, when it comes to life threatening diseases no one should have to be burdened by trying to pay for such extravagant things as living past what the disease has set on to them. socialized health care in my opinion means people being treated for generally minor things like a cold or something but leukemia isnt something that is exactly common therefore i do wish insurance like that had been retroactive and deemed that he was still covered by it due to his being diagnosed with the disease while he was still covered. i know its not easy to talk about the loss of a loved one. i hope you are able to find some comfort in that not everyone in the world cares about money and will do things so others can have a chance to live a long, healthy life. (i apologize if i overstepped the rules with the socialized health care issue)

waterboy
04-17-2009, 12:47 PM
I definitely don't support any kind of socialized health care, either. When my brother was let go from his job he didn't know about the leukemia yet. It was only a couple of weeks afterward when he found out. He was sick a lot and missed too much work so the company had to let him go.....unfortunately for him and the rest of us. I still say that things have gotten out of hand in the health care industry, but what do you do? If anybody has a viable answer let me and the rest of the world know.

PhiI C
04-18-2009, 10:22 PM
I concur with what is said and best of luck to you and thank you for what you are doing. I have donated blood in the past but my doctor forbids it now because of my high blood pressure and diabetic condition.

bullfrog_alumni_02
04-19-2009, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by PhiI C
I concur with what is said and best of luck to you and thank you for what you are doing. I have donated blood in the past but my doctor forbids it now because of my high blood pressure and diabetic condition. thats a shame. i can only donate blood every so often. i was only able recently able to start donatiing again due to being in countries the carter blood center is legally obligated to decline donations from. this gives me the chance to know that i am heloing someone. i am dropping everything else in my life to make sure that this boy continues to live. i know we all see things like this happen in movies, but its not a movie. i feel like my life has purpose and meaning now. which is a great way to combat the PTSD. i think that might be part of the root cause of ptsd actually. what i mean is that we are so used to giving ourselves that when we are put in situations that dont require we sacrifice for others we have nothing left to give. we feel it necessary to give everything we have for the betterment of our fellow brothers and sisters. i dont want any credit from any of this, i just want that boy to live. God providing he does, that is what we are fighting for. (only on a simpler scale.) he deserves the same rights as everyone else and it is my duty as a Soldier to ensure that he gets to utilize his rights as a citizen of the U.S. of A.

PPSTATEBOUND
04-21-2009, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by bullfrog_alumni_02
i got an email today from the national bone marrow foundation. i am a match to donate bone marrow to a little boy who is 7 and has leukemia. at first i was shocked that someone actually needed my bone marrow, but then once that sunk in i feel a certain heir of enjoyment and responsibility that i am able to enable someone else to live and hopefully that life will be a long and happy one. i know i havent been on here in a while. just been dealing with alot of stuff from over there. but this does help me to feel better. im sure i wont think/feel this way right after the surgery as im sure its gonna hurt like no tomorrow, but its alright because in the end ill know i did the right thing.

God bless you, this hits around home atleast.....

I have a 7 year old son and a daughter who is now 17 that survived stage 4 cancer at the age of 6, We went to Disneyland and all thanks to the make a wish foundation....She got home and decided to whip that cancers A$$!!!!!

I wish the both of you a speedy recovery.

UPanIN
04-21-2009, 04:59 PM
God bless you.

I pray things will be easier than you expect and that the marrow you give gives the little guy extended life.