PDA

View Full Version : Serious subject. Wisdom vs Intelligence...

SintonFan
04-16-2009, 01:31 PM
I'd take wisdom over intelligence any day. I sometimes think the young today confuse intelligence with knowledge. What are your thoughts?
Does it seem like there is more intellectual dishonesty now than before?

I_Do_Care
04-16-2009, 01:41 PM
Intelligence...Wisdom is too life course scenario based. Their are 20 year olds in foxholes across the world with more wisdom than an 80 year old.

BwdLions
04-16-2009, 01:42 PM
Definitely wisdom. A lot of people are very smart and have high IQs but the qualities fo wisdom. IMO, wisdom is a combination of intellegence, insight, knowledge, perception, experience and common sense.

I_Do_Care
04-16-2009, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by BwdLions
Definitely wisdom. A lot of people are very smart and have high IQs but the qualities fo wisdom. IMO, wisdom is a combination of intellegence, insight, knowledge, perception, experience and common sense. Then it should be operationalized in that manner and not placed up against one of its qualities making it a loaded question, should it not?

I_Do_Care
04-16-2009, 01:48 PM
:mad: I CARE DAMMIT

SintonFan
04-16-2009, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by I_Do_Care
Then it should be operationalized in that manner and not placed up against one of its qualities making it a loaded question, should it not?
Not necessarily. The purpose of this discussion and poll is one of discovery and not intended to load one side over the other.

I_Do_Care
04-16-2009, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Not necessarily. The purpose of this discussion and poll is one of discovery and not intended to load one side over the other. Then you should give YOUR interpretation and definition of either because I agree with Bwdlions, but in your statement, and knowing where this is leading it is old vs young! As so many use as a trump card and as an adult I find amusing, because when people find out my age they are stumped!

kepdawg
04-16-2009, 01:52 PM

What does this have to do with the other? :thinking:

I_Do_Care
04-16-2009, 01:55 PM

Does it seem like there is more intellectual dishonesty now than before? No not at all, just inconvenient arguments to your liking! I will give you this, I wish more campuses would allow far right agendist to speak so that they could allow themselves to be put before the same scrutiny that academics go under! In other words Put your mouth where the brains are and absorb a critique!

SintonFan
04-16-2009, 01:57 PM
Then you should give YOUR interpretation and definition of either because I agree with Bwdlions, but in your statement, and knowing where this is leading it is old vs young! As so many use as a trump card and as an adult I find amusing, because when people find out my age they are stumped!
My thinking in this poll is meant for serious discussion. You yourself mentioned the possibility of 20 year old wise folks, so how can leading to only young vs. old? I have know a few young wise folks.
Did you read the question above the poll that narrowed what was asked?

SintonFan
04-16-2009, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
What does this have to do with the other? :thinking:
Something thrown in that probably should have had it's own thread.

SintonFan
04-16-2009, 02:00 PM
No not at all, just inconvenient arguments to your liking! I will give you this, I wish more campuses would allow far right agendist to speak so that they could allow themselves to be put before the same scrutiny that academics go under! In other words Put your mouth where the brains are and absorb a critique!
This thread should have nothing to do with politics. Take it at face value and stop looking for some hidden agenda.:rolleyes:

I_Do_Care
04-16-2009, 02:04 PM
My thinking in this poll is meant for serious discussion. You yourself mentioned the possibility of 20 year old wise folks, so how can leading to only young vs. old? I have know a few young wise folks.
Did you read the question above the poll that narrowed what was asked? I had to mention it, you should have asked the question more succinctly. But If wisdom, and as I mentioned, I agree with BWD, is truly all those things he listed, it should be viewed as the arrival at a place in time in your life where you don't know all the answers, but in your sphere of influence you know your way better than anyone else. A sort of Eastern Philosophical approach.
Your framework of it is like asking what is stronger the nail or the building it is being put into.

STANG RED
04-16-2009, 02:06 PM
I'd take wisdom over intelligence any day. I sometimes think the young today confuse intelligence with knowledge. What are your thoughts?

I'll take wisdom over intelligence any day as well. Of course, for myself, I really don’t have a choice in the matter either. I do and have always seen many intelligent people, yet they lack the wisdom that can only come through years of life experiences. It's easy and very understandable to see this in the young, but I have a hard time understanding how so many can get into their 40s and over, and yet still display such a lack of wisdom. Conversely, I know many people who some (the unwise) would consider not to be very intelligent, but have tons of just good ol common sense and wisdom. I'll take those folks over the over educated intellectuals that have learned all they know from books and other over educated intellectuals. But I greatly admire those that possess lots of both. Just set and listen to T. Boone Pickens and others like him for a few minutes, for a great example of those possessing lots of both.

pirate4state
04-16-2009, 02:12 PM
Why does one have to be more valuable or important over the other?

SintonFan
04-16-2009, 02:13 PM
I had to mention it, you should have asked the question more succinctly. But If wisdom, and as I mentioned, I agree with BWD, is truly all those things he listed, it should be viewed as the arrival at a place in time in your life where you don't know all the answers, but in your sphere of influence you know your way better than anyone else. A sort of Eastern Philosophical approach.
Your framework of it is like asking what is stronger the nail or the building it is being put into.
Yes, but what BWD posted was about the qualities of wisdom. He answered in his own way. I respect that.
You seem hostile to the idea of wisdom...

SintonFan
04-16-2009, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Because many do value one over the other. You might differ in that.

I_Do_Care
04-16-2009, 02:15 PM
Yes, but what BWD posted was about the qualities of wisdom. He answered in his own way. I respect that.
You seem hostile to the idea of wisdom... by suggesting it is an arrival of several other qualities not manifested by some age requirement? Perhaps you are at your intellectual limit and should pursue wisdom in some other avenue, BWD listed others! ;)
You're just fun to play with, HUG?

I_Do_Care
04-16-2009, 02:16 PM
Because many do value one over the other. You might differ in that. normally people tapped out of intelligence and the use of other qualities assuages their ineptitude. A wise person would know they are not one in the same but one in part of the other.

pirate4state
04-16-2009, 02:18 PM
Because many do value one over the other. You might differ in that. Tragic

STANG RED
04-16-2009, 02:19 PM

Just because it is.

Ive known several very intelligent people in my life, that never do anything constructive with it. In fact our prisons have some of these people in them. Pure intelligence alone just simply isnt enough, in my opinion.

SintonFan
04-16-2009, 02:19 PM
by suggesting it is an arrival of several other qualities not manifested by some age requirement? Perhaps you are at your intellectual limit and should pursue wisdom in some other avenue, BWD listed others! ;)
You're just fun to play with, HUG?
lol
You are hostile to the idea of wisdom. :p
Fascinating how just one simple question can stir so much emotion...:nerd:

I_Do_Care
04-16-2009, 02:21 PM
lol
You are hostile to the idea of wisdom. :p
Fascinating how just one simple question can stir so much emotion...:nerd: you have a motion eye and sensor spy on me? you can see my DYING HOSTILITY! haha I offered you a hug silly! not angry at all, just calling out an absurd question, but I'll let you play! ;)

pirate4state
04-16-2009, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Just because it is.

Ive known several very intelligent people in my life, that never do anything constructive with it. In fact our prisons have some of these people in them. Pure intelligence alone just simply isnt enough, in my opinion. Oh, okay

I_Do_Care
04-16-2009, 02:22 PM
Tragic thank you, voice of reason! :D

HIGH 5! LOL

I_Do_Care
04-16-2009, 02:23 PM
Just because it is.

Ive known several very intelligent people in my life, that never do anything constructive with it. In fact our prisons have some of these people in them. Pure intelligence alone just simply isnt enough, in my opinion. which is why one shouldn't be pinned against the other, when one is a culmination of many things including the other choice.

SintonFan
04-16-2009, 02:24 PM
you have a motion eye and sensor spy on me? you can see my DYING HOSTILITY! haha I offered you a hug silly! not angry at all, just calling out an absurd question, but I'll let you play! ;)
Hostile AND controlling. lol
The comments you meant to stir emotion aren't working.
Can we please have a serious discussion?:)

I_Do_Care
04-16-2009, 02:26 PM
Hostile AND controlling. lol
The comments you meant to stir emotion aren't working.
Can we please have a serious discussion?:) well then ask a remotely intelligent question silly! Look here Dr. Phil, online personalities have been found to be a manifestation of who we wish we could be, not who we are! Hence why the psychology is really null and void, I could be some cross dressing tranny! haha But seeing as you feel uncomfortable at me POSSIBLY being from San Francisco, don't want you getting mad and steamy! ;) LOL

Farmersfan
04-16-2009, 03:08 PM
which is why one shouldn't be pinned against the other, when one is a culmination of many things including the other choice.

Perhaps the thought should prevail that one cannot be wise without intelligence but one can be intelligent without wisdom...... What do you think?

waterboy
04-16-2009, 03:14 PM
Seriously, it depends on who answers this question. If it's a young intelligent person answering they will say intelligence, mainly because they don't have actual life experience to draw on. If it's an older person answering this question they most assuredly will say wisdom, even if they are intelligent, too. So, yes, wisdom is much more all-encompassing than mere intelligence, therefore I would take wisdom over intelligence anyday. Intelligence can be confused with idealism, too. It's been my experience that people that are younger than their mid-thirties tend to think they know it all -- not all of them, but most. They have no precedent to some of their ideals to make them think any different. On the other hand, older people, most of the time, have a precedent for their ideals, which is a basis for their beliefs in the real world.:p

:vrycnfsd: Dang, what did I just say?

garciap77
04-16-2009, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
Seriously, it depends on who answers this question. If it's a young intelligent person answering they will say intelligence, mainly because they don't have actual life experience to draw on. If it's an older person answering this question they most assuredly will say wisdom, even if they are intelligent, too. So, yes, wisdom is much more all-encompassing than mere intelligence, therefore I would take wisdom over intelligence anyday. Intelligence can be confused with idealism, too. It's been my experience that people that are younger than their mid-thirties tend to think they know it all -- not all of them, but most. They have no precedent to some of their ideals to make them think any different. On the other hand, older people, most of the time, have a precedent for their ideals, which is a basis for their beliefs in the real world.:p

:vrycnfsd: Dang, what did I just say?

:vrycnfsd: :vrycnfsd: :vrycnfsd:

bandera7
04-16-2009, 05:38 PM
I would choose wisdom because my definition of wisdom is in knowing how little you actually know but still being capable enough in your ability to think to learn more. Intelligence to me is raw, undeveloped talent. Wisdom is shaping that talent to its best use.

So to me, intelligence is more of an attacking know it all attitude, whereas wisdom is more of a listening attitude. Don't care too much on me here I Do Care. You seem to think yourself a bit too intelligent.

STANG RED
04-16-2009, 05:40 PM
I've met a few people that are so intelligent, they seem stupid. If you have ever met one of these, you know what I mean. And if you havent, you need to get out more.:p

I_Do_Care
04-16-2009, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by bandera7
Don't care too much on me here I Do Care. You seem to think yourself a bit too intelligent. I neither stated nor implied my level of intelligence, simply reconstructed the definition of something, if that is intelligent to you, then you must be a TAKS student, because it is simple critical thinking skills ;)

HUG?

bandera7
04-16-2009, 05:51 PM
neither did I state your level of intelligence. I stated you seem to think yourself a bit too intelligent to participate in a conversation over intelligence vs. wisdom. instead of stating your opinion you attempted to take apart the question to a level where you deemed it not a worthy question.

The question was just fine, and anybody with a sense of "wisdom" would have just answered.

I_Do_Care
04-16-2009, 06:04 PM
neither did I state your level of intelligence. I stated you seem to think yourself a bit too intelligent to participate in a conversation over intelligence vs. wisdom. instead of stating your opinion you attempted to take apart the question to a level where you deemed it not a worthy question.

The question was just fine, and anybody with a sense of "wisdom" would have just answered. somebody with wisdom would have identified the problem with it's logic, somebody with wisdom would identify alternatives, somebody with wisdom would understand someone's definition of wisdom is subjective, thus you nor me is wrong, just not agreeing on how we perceive wisdom! What is funny is you thinking that I think I'm smart based on this! haha

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-16-2009, 06:47 PM
Well, we all know who have no intelligence and little wisdom based on the results of this poll.

SintonFan
04-16-2009, 08:12 PM
well then ask a remotely intelligent question silly! Look here Dr. Phil, online personalities have been found to be a manifestation of who we wish we could be, not who we are! Hence why the psychology is really null and void, I could be some cross dressing tranny! haha But seeing as you feel uncomfortable at me POSSIBLY being from San Francisco, don't want you getting mad and steamy! ;) LOL
That reference on the other thread(now in thread heaven:rolleyes: ) was meant as a joke. Hence the smilie that accompanied it.
Because you haven't received the exact answer you have been trying to needle out of me you have in turn decided to attack the questioner instead of holding true to your attack on the question. I think the question has merit, you don't.
Why, in asking this simple question, do you go on attack mode? It is apparent you might be afraid that others out there might have different opinions than yours... and your attitude is horribly arrogant to boot. lol
You gave your initial answer of intelligence over wisdom and were the first to vote for intelligence. Then you changed your mind to agree with BWD because he thought of something you didn't when you posted. That left you, in your mind, in a weak position because of your own contradiction. Or "flip flop" if you will.:D
Look, you can bring your condescending and arrogant attitude toward me all day. I don't mind. You see, you did miss something with your glowing-brighter-than-the-sun brilliance. I have stated I value wisdom over intelligence, and your attempts to belittle my intelligence might be just a piss poor way of attacking the questioner. I would say you didn't think that through very much. :p
Folks, thanks for your .02 on what was intended to be a serious discussion.
Let me add, I don't consider myself the smartest or wisest person. The point of this was to get YOUR opinion on this. Which is more valuable or important?

LH Panther Mom
04-16-2009, 08:20 PM
The question was just fine, and anybody with a sense of "wisdom" would have just answered.
A "wise" person would've realized that these two guys (SF & the caring one) agree on absolutely nothing, unless it's the thrill of the debate. ;)

I_Do_Care
04-16-2009, 08:23 PM
That reference on the other thread(now in thread heaven:rolleyes: ) was meant as a joke. Hence the smilie that accompanied it.
Because you haven't received the exact answer you have been trying to needle out of me you have in turn decided to attack the questioner instead of holding true to your attack on the question. I think the question has merit, you don't.
Why, in asking this simple question, do you go on attack mode? It is apparent you might be afraid that others out there might have different opinions than yours... and your attitude is horribly arrogant to boot. lol
You gave your initial answer of intelligence over wisdom and were the first to vote for intelligence. Then you changed your mind to agree with BWD because he thought of something you didn't when you posted. That left you, in your mind, in a weak position because of your own contradiction. Or "flip flop" if you will.:D
Look, you can bring your condescending and arrogant attitude toward me all day. I don't mind. You see, you did miss something with your glowing-brighter-than-the-sun brilliance. I have stated I value wisdom over intelligence, and your attempts to belittle my intelligence might be just a piss poor way of attacking the questioner. I would say you didn't think that through very much. :p
Folks, thanks for your .02 on what was intended to be a serious discussion.
Let me add, I don't consider myself the smartest or wisest person. The point of this was to get YOUR opinion on this. Which is more valuable or important? hence why I asked for an operationalization of each in your opinion. left alone what is wisdom without intelligence besides THINKING your right rather than knowing. On the other hand when framed as BWD did, which is how I would operationalize it, it made sense. Hence moviing to an alternative posited by another, not flip flopping, but reconstructing the meaning. You are simply one of those who hold on to wisdom based on the ascribed status that comes with age, which is essentially a cop out by how I've seen adults act on this forum in some exchanges!:eek: :D

SintonFan
04-16-2009, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
A "wise" person would've realized that these two guys (SF & the caring one) agree on absolutely nothing, unless it's the thrill of the debate. ;)
Come on D. I have been very very restrained in this thread.:p
I keep asking why we can't have a serious discussion and while some folks might not think it is worthwhile, I do.
And have been talked down to because I_Dont_Care got his panties in a wad when I mentioned he might be from San Fran in a joke.:D

LH Panther Mom
04-16-2009, 09:09 PM

I never said you weren't...just saying you two have pretty much opposite opinions & philosophies on stuff. ;)

I_Do_Care
04-16-2009, 09:10 PM
I keep asking why we can't have a serious discussion and while some folks might not think it is worthwhile, I do.
And have been talked down to because I_Dont_Care got his panties in a wad when I mentioned he might be from San Fran in a joke.:D This guy still thinks I'm mad because someone questioned him! :eek: LOL by the way it's I_Do_Care!!! :D

I_Do_Care
04-16-2009, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I never said you weren't...just saying you two have pretty much opposite opinions & philosophies on stuff. ;) no we don't, I'm just arrogant and all that other stuff because I questioned his loaded question! Oh and I'm mad, I guess LOL :mad: :D :cool:

I think SF needs a hug! ;)

SintonFan
04-16-2009, 09:23 PM
hence why I asked for an operationalization of each in your opinion. left alone what is wisdom without intelligence besides THINKING your right rather than knowing. On the other hand when framed as BWD did, which is how I would operationalize it, it made sense. Hence moviing to an alternative posited by another, not flip flopping, but reconstructing the meaning. You are simply one of those who hold on to wisdom based on the ascribed status that comes with age, which is essentially a cop out by how I've seen adults act on this forum in some exchanges!:eek: :D
Can you not understand that I wanted each poster to interpret the question own their own? Without a very narrow parameter? To leave it as broad as possible? Which is why I posted that this was a "discovery thread"? I have heard this topic discussed lately and wanted folks here to chime in.
I'm sure you are smug in your "intellectual prowess", it shows:rolleyes:, but to make up words like "operationalization" doesn't help your cause. Stop attacking the questioner and join the discussion if you can. Stop attacking all "adults" here if you can, you sure seem like I_Dont_Care with your pure antagonistic responses.
Sorry you didn't like my Dr. Phil(never watched the show) impression above. lol

jason
04-16-2009, 09:29 PM
i know too many old people that think just because they are old they have more wisdom and think they are more intelligent than anybody younger than them, even though they have the iq of yogurt...

garciap77
04-16-2009, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by jason
i know too many old people that think just because they are old they have more wisdom and think they are more intelligent than anybody younger than them, even though they have the iq of yogurt... :rolleyes:

;)

I_Do_Care
04-16-2009, 09:33 PM
Can you not understand that I wanted each poster to interpret the question own their own? Without a very narrow parameter? To leave it as broad as possible? Which is why I posted that this was a "discovery thread"? I have heard this topic discussed lately and wanted folks here to chime in.
I'm sure you are smug in your "intellectual prowess", it shows:rolleyes:, but to make up words like "operationalization" doesn't help your cause. Stop attacking the questioner and join the discussion if you can. Stop attacking all "adults" here if you can, you sure seem like I_Dont_Care with your pure antagonistic responses.
Sorry you didn't like my Dr. Phil(never watched the show) impression above. lol
haha if you have his cul de sac haircut I would really persecute ya! haha just cut the damn thing or buzz it off! Understood SF, I'm done with it, you are just great to argue with! Call me arrogant, or whatever, Just expanding on the question and wisdom would dictate that I mend the fence and say it's been fun ;) Your're a tempered soul!

SintonFan
04-16-2009, 09:36 PM
i know too many old people that think just because they are old they have more wisdom and think they are more intelligent than anybody younger than them, even though they have the iq of yogurt...
That doesn't answer the question. I agree that that is the case sometimes, but more often the exception vs the average. This IS not about young against the old or visa versa. It IS about what DO YOU THINK has more value or importance?:doh:

SintonFan
04-16-2009, 09:54 PM
haha if you have his cul de sac haircut I would really persecute ya! haha just cut the damn thing or buzz it off! Understood SF, I'm done with it, you are just great to argue with! Call me arrogant, or whatever, Just expanding on the question and wisdom would dictate that I mend the fence and say it's been fun ;) Your're a tempered soul!
lol
I know this alter-ego of yours and this statement just helped reveal who you really are. You are....
hold on...
let me...
pick my nose.:thumbsup:

I_Do_Care
04-16-2009, 09:55 PM
lol
I know this alter-ego of yours and this statement just helped reveal who you really are. You are....
hold on...
let me...
pick my nose.:thumbsup: ;) :p

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-16-2009, 11:07 PM

I agree.

Electus Unus
04-16-2009, 11:27 PM
Wisdom without intelligence is useless. Intelligence without wisdom is still intelligence

Farmersfan
04-17-2009, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Electus Unus
Wisdom without intelligence is useless. Intelligence without wisdom is still intelligence

Wisdom without intelligence is USEFUL. Intelligence without Wisdom is nothing but the accumulation of information. Wisdom is the ability to properly apply the knowledge gained from intelligence. The most uneducated man in the world gains wisdom over time. But no amount of time will make a stupid man intelligent!
Wisdom is by far the more important of the two...
Without question.....
Well, maybe some question......
Ok! I don't know.........

Farmersfan
04-17-2009, 10:00 AM

Because they ARE old they do have a measure of wisdom that a young person cannot have. The simple passing of time grants a certain wisdom. That kind of wisdom cannot be known by a young person regardless of the intelligence.

Case in point: a young person can read a million times how people's attitudes and opinions change over the years of their life and that fact would be classifid as intelligence. When they have actually witnessed the changes in people from year to year it then becomes wisdom......

Or Not!!

garciap77
04-17-2009, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
Because they ARE old they do have a measure of wisdom that a young person cannot have. The simple passing of time grants a certain wisdom. That kind of wisdom cannot be known by a young person regardless of the intelligence.

Case in point: a young person can read a million times how people's attitudes and opinions change over the years of their life and that fact would be classifid as intelligence. When they have actually witnessed the changes in people from year to year it then becomes wisdom......

Or Not!!

:iagree:

Txbroadcaster
04-17-2009, 10:05 AM
to an extent age creates wisdom, as long as the person is willing to allow that growth to mature them.

Bullaholic
04-17-2009, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
I agree.

Think you guys will still think this way when you're 60? I can guarantee you---you won't.

I'm an old guy, and I still believe in the old ways. I embrace the European concept of aging---the oldest male in the family is the patriarch, and the oldest female is the matriarch and consequently, the heads of the family. When you are young you care for your parents, and when you become older, your kids should care for you if you are unable to care for yourself. Old people should be venerated and treated with love and respect, unless they have done something so shamefull as to lose your respect. Being old doesn't make old people right all the time, but they should be given the respect of being listened to by younger folks without being disrepectfully shouted down.

So, your turn will come, young bucks---but be respectful until then.... ;)

waterboy
04-17-2009, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Think you guys will still think this way when you're 60? I can guarantee you---you won't.

I'm an old guy, and I still believe in the old ways. I embrace the European concept of aging---the oldest male in the family is the patriarch, and the oldest female is the matriarch and consequently, the heads of the family. When you are young you care for your parents, and when you become older, your kids should care for you if you are unable to care for yourself. Old people should be venerated and treated with love and respect, unless they have done something so shamefull as to lose your respect. Being old doesn't make old people right all the time, but they should be given the respect of being listened to by younger folks without being disrepectfully shouted down.

:clap: :clap: :clap: I definitely agree with you there........

;) ....you old fart! :D

Farmersfan
04-17-2009, 12:50 PM

Which leads us to another related question: Do you think earning respect is a one-on-one thing or a general thing. Does the C.E.O. of a major corporation deserve respect from everyone because of his position and accomplishments or is he required to earn your respect by the way he treats you personally or from his actions that you actually are aware of? How about the President? Some still say to respect your elders. Why? Does growing old signify any special accomplishment or ability? Thoughts?

Txbroadcaster
04-17-2009, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
Which leads us to another related question: Do you think earning respect is a one-on-one thing or a general thing. Does the C.E.O. of a major corporation deserve respect from everyone because of his position and accomplishments or is he required to earn your respect by the way he treats you personally or from his actions that you actually are aware of? How about the President? Some still say to respect your elders. Why? Does growing old signify any special accomplishment or ability? Thoughts?

IMO your talking two diff types of respect..I will always respect the OFFICE of the President and in turn give the president that respect...to an extent. If I were to have a personal relationship with a President then there would be a whole other level of respect, or lack of respect, depending on our personal relationship

nobogey72
04-17-2009, 01:42 PM
I think this is all pretty good stuff. It's fun to hear people's concepts of life. Bottom line to me is that a "truly wise" person (which I do NOT claim to be) would see this logical question being argued about as "Mental Masturbation".:)

nobogey72
04-17-2009, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
IMO your talking two diff types of respect..I will always respect the OFFICE of the President and in turn give the president that respect...to an extent. If I were to have a personal relationship with a President then there would be a whole other level of respect, or lack of respect, depending on our personal relationship

I've got a good example I think of this. I worked for a guy many years ago that was the CEO of a bank, and he was the hardest working, smartest, most honest person I have ever worked with. Concerning bank matters or business matters I respected the fire out of him. HOWEVER, he had several kids, and rarely went to any of their extracurricular activites (Little League, soccer,etc) because he always had a meeting of some kind or was at the bank working. So,, as a result of that, I wouldn't give you a plug nickel for him and overall as a person I had and still have no respect for him. To me, a wise person wouldn't have their priorities that out of whack (IN MY OPINION).

Ranger Mom
04-17-2009, 02:08 PM
I had a fiance once upon a time that was extremely intelligent.

I can't remember what he did now to piss my dad off....but my dad told him, "You may be intelligent, but you aren't very smart."

I guess he got smarter on down the line though, because he's a multi-millionaire now!!

waterboy
04-17-2009, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I had a fiance once upon a time that was extremely intelligent.

I can't remember what he did now to piss my dad off....but my dad told him, "You may be intelligent, but you aren't very smart."

I guess he got smarter on down the line though, because he's a multi-millionaire now!!
You should've married him, Mom! You could've gotten half of everything! :thinking: I wonder if you've ever thought about that?:doh:

pirate4state
04-17-2009, 02:16 PM

I was raised to respect my elders, but I'm not going to blindly give them my respect just because they are old. They still have to earn it, just like I have to earn theirs.

I will listen to older people as long as they don't talk down to me because they are older and think they are entitled to do so!

It works both ways, IMO.

Ranger Mom
04-17-2009, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
You should've married him, Mom! You could've gotten half of everything! :thinking: I wonder if you've ever thought about that?:doh:

LOL!!

I send him a Happy Birthday e-mail every year on his birthday and we exchange pictures of our families.

He is about 3 weeks younger than me....while I am sending him pictures of my grandkids, he is sending me pics of his 5 daughters....all under the age of 8!!!

He's running for Dallas City Council right now!!!

STANG RED
04-17-2009, 02:50 PM
I was raised to respect my elders, but I'm not going to blindly give them my respect just because they are old. They still have to earn it, just like I have to earn theirs.

I will listen to older people as long as they don't talk down to me because they are older and think they are entitled to do so!

It works both ways, IMO.

I think you should blindly respect your elders! But Its up to them to do what it takes to maintain it.
I try to blindly give respect to both the young and the old at first meeting. But their actions will determine whether they keep it or not.

Sweetwater Red
04-17-2009, 03:03 PM

I try to blindly give respect to both the young and the old at first meeting. But their actions will determine whether they keep it or not.

Oh! Shut up old man! What do you know?:D

STANG RED
04-17-2009, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Oh! Shut up old man! What do you know?:D

Hey now,:mad: dont make me come over there. :tisk: :twitch:

BleedOrange
04-17-2009, 03:35 PM
Intelligence without wisdom....possibly. Wisdom without intelligence... not likely. I'll take wisdom.