PDA

View Full Version : Gainesville

captain d
04-15-2009, 08:32 PM
Will they ever make it back to the level they use to play at?

Matthew328
04-15-2009, 08:40 PM
2010 they'll be salty....expect them to be much improved this year

captain d
04-15-2009, 08:53 PM
Good to hear. They were amazing a few years back. How is the town, Administration, Principal, A.D., communityand school system. Looking to relocate in the area but would rather not live in Dallas Fort Worth?

westcoast54
04-15-2009, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
None of the above will contribute to the success of their athletic programs.

They have a very good man as the Superintendent.

Keith7
04-15-2009, 10:44 PM
Gainesville will eventually return to prominence.. if you look back at the team's history, it seems like they go through these cycles every now and then.. I like what the new coach is doing so I see them being good sooner than later

Emerson1
04-15-2009, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by westcoast54
They have a very good man as the Superintendent.
That has nothing to do with what kind of athletes you happen to get.

They will make it back when another NFL player comes through

block&tackle
04-15-2009, 10:54 PM
The future may be looking up for them but they have a lot to recover from - they have been rated Academically Unacceptable, lost around 20% of their enrollment, canabalized their last coach, all while being completely irrelavant in every sport. I hope that their Superintendant is as good as advertised but I wouldn't volutarily put my kids anywhere near that district until he has had a few years to turn it around.

Keith7
04-15-2009, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by block&tackle
The future may be looking up for them but they have a lot to recover from - they have been rated Academically Unacceptable, lost around 20% of their enrollment, canabalized their last coach, all while being completely irrelavant in every sport. I hope that their Superintendant is as good as advertised but I wouldn't volutarily put my kids anywhere near that district until he has had a few years to turn it around.

It is and always will be better than Celina. God knows nobody wants to send their kids to that drug infested hell hole. People turn their heads in Celina to keep their "friday night lights" image, but you and I know deep down that Celina is the biggest dump in North Texas.. thats why the metroplex hasn't caught up celina yet. So keep living in your fake little town with your nose up in the air. I hope its high enough so that you can't smell the crap that is Celina

Keith7
04-15-2009, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
That has nothing to do with what kind of athletes you happen to get.

They will make it back when another NFL player comes through

So going to state 4 years in a row in basketball w/ out a NBA caliber player had to do with a NFL football player??

You forget we went to state in 2005 with only one division 1 player and he had to walk on

WylieBulldog92
04-15-2009, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
It is and always will be better than Celina. God knows nobody wants to send their kids to that drug infested hell hole. People turn their heads in Celina to keep their "friday night lights" image, but you and I know deep down that Celina is the biggest dump in North Texas.. thats why the metroplex hasn't caught up celina yet. So keep living in your fake little town with your nose up in the air. I hope its high enough so that you can't smell the crap that is Celina
Whoa.

block&tackle
04-16-2009, 12:46 AM

You seriously need to grow up. I expressed hope for Gainesville but stated facts about it's current situation that you cannot refute. Throw mud if you want to but don't tell me what I know -what I know is that I love this town and have never regreted being here or sending my kids to school here.

Pick6
04-16-2009, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by block&tackle

You couldn't be more wrong. Tell me when Gainesville was Academically Unacceptable? I went back and looked at when Gainesville and Celina was in the same district in the early 2000's. Which school was district UIL Champions? Here's a hint, it wasn't Celina. I'm curious as to what coach was canabalized? Seriously, if I had to chose a school for my kids based on academics, I'd chose GISD over CISD any day.

Matthew328
04-16-2009, 08:11 AM
Boy there are some HSO's being tossed out in this thread!!! I don't remember when Gainesville was named unacceptable either, but hey the proof is above this post.

I've always heard it was a pretty good school for the most part.

Demographics in the town have changed and the town as a whole has hit a rough patch the past 5 years but I have heard things are looking up. I guess the rough patch would include the 2005-2006 school year! The high school is brand new and at least football wise they've got some good classes coming in starting with this year's junior class.

Pick6
04-16-2009, 08:19 AM
www.tea.state.tx.us/perfreport/account/2006

Ya got me there.

jason
04-16-2009, 08:21 AM
i thought gainesville was 25% families with kids and 75% retired old farts.....

dont they have the town population that would normally have a 4a or small 5a high school?

Matthew328
04-16-2009, 08:37 AM
Yah its like 20k or something like that

marler1972
04-16-2009, 08:53 AM

Man slow your roll captain kangaroo. He did not say one thing that should have set you off. Celina is far from a dump.

captain d
04-16-2009, 09:15 AM
Wow, alot of information! Thanks. Earnest T you are right having good players is important (duh), however community support, administrative support and the other areas I asked about ARE very important to a sustained program and positive enviroment.

Pick6
04-16-2009, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by captain d
Wow, alot of information! Thanks. Earnest T you are right having good players is important (duh), however community support, administrative support and the other areas I asked about ARE very important to a sustained program and positive enviroment.

I was over there a few weeks ago, the new school is awesome, the kids attitude has improved alot. They are in the early stages of talking about building a new stadium. I was very surprised with what I saw over there compared to what I've seen in the past. It looks like their "change" is working. ;)

Keith7
04-16-2009, 01:57 PM
Gainesville's population is actually around 14,000.. wikipedia says 15,538 but I don't think its that high

westcoast54
04-16-2009, 02:50 PM
Gainesville didn't cannibalize any coach...he did that on his own. He wanted to "love em up," not discipline them when they needed it. They now have a coach in there that has a clue and has instilled some discipline. The Leopards will be back in due time....I promise you!
The community could be more supportive. They only support the school when they are winning which is very sad.

Keith7
04-16-2009, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by westcoast54
Gainesville didn't cannibalize any coach...he did that on his own. He wanted to "love em up," not discipline them when they needed it. They now have a coach in there that has a clue and has instilled some discipline. The Leopards will be back in due time....I promise you!
The community could be more supportive. They only support the school when they are winning which is very sad.

very good point. don't forget that many kids transferred after they installed that ridiculous dress code

Pick6
04-16-2009, 03:01 PM
very good point. don't forget that many kids transferred after they installed that ridiculous dress code

I've seen the dress code, what's so ridiculous about it?

Keith7
04-16-2009, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Pick6
I've seen the dress code, what's so ridiculous about it?

good kids were going to ISS for not wearing a belt, hair being too long, shirt not tucked in, wrong color shirt, wrong type of shoes, wrong pants, ect. This is a PUBLIC school, there is no need for a dress code period esp. not one as strict as the one Gainesville has. I have a lot of pride in where I come from but a dress code that strict made me lose some of that pride...

seriously, what does someones clothes have to do with education?? NOTHING as long as what they wear doesn't distract others then it should be ok..

How many other schools have dress codes like that?

Keith7
04-16-2009, 03:07 PM
See the problem is, that they started the whole dress code business when the academics began to fall. They put the blame on the kids and the "gangs" instead of themselves and installed a new dress code, restricted off campus lunch (which was probably smart, knowing what went on during off campus lunch), and took away rights to the students. No student wants to learn when they feel like they are in a prison

jason
04-16-2009, 03:09 PM

How many other schools have dress codes like that? a lot of them do...

forney has had one for 10 years....

you're right though - it was meant to solve discipline problems, but more kids were called down for write ups after the dress code than before - it cause more kids to miss classes because they were in the office for not having a belt or for having some sort of logo on their shirt....

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Pick6
04-16-2009, 03:14 PM
good kids were going to ISS for not wearing a belt, hair being too long, shirt not tucked in, wrong color shirt, wrong type of shoes, wrong pants, ect. This is a PUBLIC school, there is no need for a dress code period esp. not one as strict as the one Gainesville has. I have a lot of pride in where I come from but a dress code that strict made me lose some of that pride...

seriously, what does someones clothes have to do with education?? NOTHING as long as what they wear doesn't distract others then it should be ok..

How many other schools have dress codes like that?

Alot of schools have dress codes. It's a public school, your right. The school didn't decide on the dress code. The public voted on a school board who then voted on the dress code.

The only rights a kid has at school is the right to learn. Unfortunately you young, still in school children don't seem to understand that.

If a dress code makes you lose pride for something, you really didn't have much pride in the first place.

Keith7
04-16-2009, 03:20 PM
Alot of schools have dress codes. It's a public school, your right. The school didn't decide on the dress code. The public voted on a school board who then voted on the dress code.

The only rights a kid has at school is the right to learn. Unfortunately you young, still in school children don't seem to understand that.

If a dress code makes you lose pride for something, you really didn't have much pride in the first place.

dude I'm 24.. not exactly a child anymore :doh:

Pick6
04-16-2009, 03:22 PM
dude I'm 24.. not exactly a child anymore :doh:

Act like it :doh:

From your rants about Celina I was guessing maybe 13.

Keith7
04-16-2009, 03:24 PM
Act like it :doh:

From your rants about Celina I was guessing maybe 13.

Celina deserves anything it gets

westcoast54
04-16-2009, 04:37 PM
Sorry to say this but, a dress code was NEEDED in Gainesville. I'm glad they implemented one. Keith your right the school does need to take some of the blame for the low test scores but, how about we shift some of the blame to the parents as well as the students. All three are at fault if you ask me.
BTW, students need to get it out of their heads that they have all these rights. They don't. As someone said earlier...students have the right to an education...that's about it. High School is not a democracy.

westcoast54
04-16-2009, 05:33 PM
Dress code is EXTREMELY important. Every school Ive been at had a strict dress code, except one; and that one was out of control!
Believe it or not, kids are different today. The game has changed and the rules do not favor the teachers at all. Dress code is one way to keep control and order. Ive stated before that one job I had during college was working in a state maximum security prison. In my honest opinion, sadly, most schools should be ran alot like a prison thesedays. Gainesville is a rougher community than most. They need to do anything and everything to keep control there.
As for schools and test scores, Ive met very few bad teachers in my life. Yes, there are some, but they rarely last long in this profession. Most teachers are good teachers, care about the kids(even if the kids dont think so), and do everything they can to be effective. But,90% of test scores and overall learning is due to the student and their homelife, and has very little to do with the school and/or teachers. Trust me, Highland Park, Southlake Carroll, Keller, etc..dont have better teachers than everyone else.
But, then there is that magic 10% of teachers who are GREAT teachers, who can make a HUGE difference by themselves and can overcome those outside influences on a child's life.
But, the majority of the time, it's the student and/or family.

Very well put.

captain d
04-16-2009, 06:30 PM
West Coast, Check your PM. I think I got it to work, Thanks

CelinaCatFan
04-17-2009, 05:25 PM
As someone who has lived in both Gainesville and Celina, I've had great experiences in both communities.

gatordaze
04-18-2009, 07:09 AM
Celina deserves anything it gets

I agree, 8 State Championships. Your a hater plain and simple. Too bad for you. We pity you in Celina.

I. B. Watching
04-18-2009, 08:42 AM
Gainesville, back when 3A was the second largest classification, had one of the best football teams I've ever seen in 1976. I believe the quarterback's name was Rod Pegues, and they had an outstanding linebacker, the Carr kid I believe. That team just destroyed people.