PDA

View Full Version : Little Girl's T-Ball

Bullaholic
04-13-2009, 12:09 PM
I've got a 5-year old granddaughter playing T-Ball right now. Those little girls have got to be the cutest things ever in their uniforms with their gloves. They are just finding out what team sports are all about and having a ball. BTW--Lost hats or messed up hair is a lot worse prob than missing a catch.....:D

KngKongInDTrunk
04-13-2009, 01:06 PM
yeah just stinks when they see it the same way in JV softball.

Ranger Mom
04-13-2009, 01:13 PM
I remember when my kids played T-Ball and I enjoyed watching it SO much...even coached my son's team one year!

But....when they moved on to the bigger leagues, watching T-Ball was so boring to me.

I hope when my grandkids start playing it will be fun to me again!

STANG RED
04-13-2009, 01:16 PM
It gets especially entertaining when all the outfielders get together for pattycake.:D

waterboy
04-13-2009, 01:58 PM
I've got a daughter who plays in the in-between league where the coach pitches to his players. This is her first year playing softball yet she is the best player on her team, in my opinion. She plays first base. She catches the balls that are thrown to her......the only problem is they rarely throw it TO her.:( More times than not it's usually off to the left, or to the right, and pulls her off the bag. She's a heady player though........if it's hit anywhere near her, she'll gobble it up and outrun the hitter to the bag. That's my girl!:D She's played in 6 games so far and has only not reached base 3 or 4 times. I think her batting average is like .870 or so! They are SO cute at that age! BTW, did I mention I'm one of the coaches on her team?:) :cool: I enjoy it thoroughly!

turbostud
04-13-2009, 03:43 PM
I've got a softball question. My daughter is 6 years old. She is not in Tball yet but I am gonna try to get her in a league this summer. I bought one of those Tball set ups at Academy and I am teaching her how to swing. I am teaching her to swing from both sides of the plate.

Is switch hitting as relevant in softball as it is in baseball?

waterboy
04-13-2009, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by turbostud
I've got a softball question. My daughter is 6 years old. She is not in Tball yet but I am gonna try to get her in a league this summer. I bought one of those Tball set ups at Academy and I am teaching her how to swing. I am teaching her to swing from both sides of the plate.

Is switch hitting as relevant in softball as it is in baseball?
No. Switch hitting is not relevant till much later. Right now I would have her concentrate on whichever side she is most comfortable with. It'll be at least 3 years before she has to face a live opponent pitcher most likely anyway.

waterboy
04-13-2009, 05:00 PM
turbostud, I would also work on her making contact with the ball first. When she has gotten to where she makes contact with the ball on a regular basis, I would work on her bat speed. On the defensive side, I would make sure she can catch the ball and throw it right with accuracy. At that age, I just hope you are a PATIENT man! The fundamentals always come first.

turbostud
04-13-2009, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
turbostud, I would also work on her making contact with the ball first. When she has gotten to where she makes contact with the ball on a regular basis, I would work on her bat speed. On the defensive side, I would make sure she can catch the ball and throw it right with accuracy. At that age, I just hope you are a PATIENT man! The fundamentals always come first.

lol, I am patient but she is not. She already is tellin me I am not a coach and I dont know what I am talking about.

Looking4number8
04-13-2009, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
I've got a daughter who plays in the in-between league where the coach pitches to his players. This is her first year playing softball yet she is the best player on her team, in my opinion. She plays first base. She catches the balls that are thrown to her......the only problem is they rarely throw it TO her.:( More times than not it's usually off to the left, or to the right, and pulls her off the bag. She's a heady player though........if it's hit anywhere near her, she'll gobble it up and outrun the hitter to the bag. That's my girl!:D She's played in 6 games so far and has only not reached base 3 or 4 times. I think her batting average is like .870 or so! They are SO cute at that age! BTW, did I mention I'm one of the coaches on her team?:) :cool: I enjoy it thoroughly!

Oh brother... thats how I got hooked and got it in my blood. Nothing better than watching your baby play ball and excel. Ten years later I am about to send one to college to pitch and play ball. I hope you enjoy your years on the diamond as much as I have. The best news for me though is one of my other daughters just gave me a granddaughter (my first) , in 5 or 6 years I hope to be back at it for round 2!!!

waterboy
04-14-2009, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by Looking4number8
Oh brother... thats how I got hooked and got it in my blood. Nothing better than watching your baby play ball and excel. Ten years later I am about to send one to college to pitch and play ball. I hope you enjoy your years on the diamond as much as I have. The best news for me though is one of my other daughters just gave me a granddaughter (my first) , in 5 or 6 years I hope to be back at it for round 2!!!
I'm hooked as long as she wants to play, and you're right about enjoying watching her play. I know she enjoys playing, and that helps her to excel. The funny thing is she's 8-years-old and has never so much as owned a glove before, yet she could catch the ball immediately. It just comes natural to her. There's some fine-tuning needed to be done on some of her fundamentals, but she's functional in all aspects. Everyday she wants me to go out and play with her, and she practically goes nuts if we don't have practice or a game. Congratulations on your daughter playing college ball! That's a long ways away for me. Right now I'm just going to enjoy it while I can and enjoy the ride! Granddaughter?:eek: Hopefully that's at LEAST a decade away! My eldest daughter is only 11! My hope is she'll be out of college before she even thinks about a family!

NastySlot
04-14-2009, 12:26 PM
work both sides.....left is good....might have a future slapper.