PDA

View Full Version : stock tip

jason
04-13-2009, 11:21 AM
if you have some extra cash laying around - think about investing in AIG....

i know it may seem weird - but with all the money invested in them from the government, they (the govt) are not going to let the company go under - with the stock at its (almost) lowest point ever, there is nowhere to go but up...

i passed on a chance to buy a few weeks ago when shares were at approx $.90, i finally invested today on shares that are $1.29....

with the one year target estimate around $5.30, it should be a risky, but sound, investment....

Bullaholic
04-13-2009, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by jason

i know it may seem weird - but with all the money invested in them from the government, they (the govt) are not going to let the company go under - with the stock at its (almost) lowest point ever, there is nowhere to go but up...

i passed on a chance to buy a few weeks ago when shares were at approx $.90, i finally invested today on shares that are $1.29....

with the one year target estimate around $5.30, it should be a risky, but sound, investment....

Don't quit working in IT, jason....;)

JasperDog94
04-13-2009, 01:10 PM
Actually a good bet would be to invest in companies the government is bailing out. They have a new steady flow of money coming in...ours.:mad: :doh: :doh:

jason
04-13-2009, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Actually a good bet would be to invest in companies the government is bailing out. They have a new steady flow of money coming in...ours.:mad: :doh: :doh: it kind of sucks they are using tax dollars - but the concept makes sense, do you know what kind of p.r. hit the govt would take if they let the companies fail that they have given billions to?? that's why they would never let that happen so there is nowhere but up to go from where they are at now - they are risky investments, ill concede that, but if you are, say under the age of 30 with a little extra cash, i think the risk is worth it.....

i only bought 300 shares @ $1.29 each - so if they hit the year target estimage of $5.36 then its a $1200 profit.....

as a disclaimer i am in no way, shape, or form a financial expert - so if you invest in aig and they go under, thats what you get for taking advice from a guy on a football website

:D

STANG RED
04-13-2009, 01:22 PM
I said the same thing in a thread on here about 3 or 4 weeks ago, when the price was 0.64 per share. Had I got in then, I would have already doubled my money. But did I? Hell NO.:(
Im an idiot!:mad:

jason
04-13-2009, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
I said the same thing in a thread on here about 3 or 4 weeks ago, when the price was 0.64 per share. Had I got in then, I would have already doubled my money. But did I? Hell NO.:(
Im an idiot!:mad: i didnt even think about this concept until a week or two ago - if i had seen it at $.64, i would have bought as many as i could....

i have a stock ticker on my desktop with all my stuff in it....some days it depresses me, some days, like today, it puts a smile on my face....

there have been more days of smiles here the last couple weeks than there have been days of depression...

http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/7545/aig.jpg

waterboy
04-13-2009, 02:09 PM
Who's gonna tell us when we need to dump the stock? The more people invest in these stocks the more the price will go up, which means the more money in your pocket.;)

jason
04-13-2009, 04:00 PM
up 22% today from 1.29 to 1.42

rockdale80
04-13-2009, 04:08 PM
up 22% today from 1.29 to 1.42

Jason, I have picked up almost 2000 shares so far.

jason
04-13-2009, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by rockdale80
Jason, I have picked up almost 2000 shares so far. so do i get a cut for stockbroker's fees ????

Bullaholic
04-13-2009, 04:12 PM
so do i get a cut for stockbroker's fees ????

I thought you were a "bookie"....:D

waterboy
04-13-2009, 04:14 PM
Yeah, I thought you were a bookie. Can I get a "FREE SHIRT"?:D

jason
04-13-2009, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
Yeah, I thought you were a bookie. Can I get a "FREE SHIRT"?:D lol

espn1
04-13-2009, 04:29 PM

with the one year target estimate around $5.30, it should be a risky, but sound, investment.... If you want a good case study! Look at Chrysler just before Iacocca took over! AIG is Going no where but up, and on secret company vacations.

Bullaholic
04-13-2009, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by espn1
If you want a good case study! Look at Chrysler just before Iacocca took over! AIG is Going no where but up, and on secret company vacations.

How about this analogy for AIG----

You have a cow and due to hard times you are unable to feed it.

The government gives you a lot of hay to feed the cow for a long time.

You now have 2 options...

1. Repay the hay to the government after times get better and care for the cow the rest of its life on your nickle.

2. Declare bankruptcy, butcher the cow, and put the steaks in your freezer, sell the rest, and ask the government for another cow and some hay under someone else's name.

Wonder which option the AIG execs, will take. :D

jason
04-14-2009, 09:00 AM
up 14% already today...

STANG RED
04-14-2009, 09:11 AM
I wonder what will happen to the stock, if they end up breaking the company up, selling off the profitable parts, and filing for bankruptcy on whats left? :confused:
I have heard rumors that this might happen. But I havent heard any talk about how the stock would be affected.

jason
04-14-2009, 09:16 AM
25% so far today

Bullaholic
04-14-2009, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
I wonder what will happen to the stock, if they end up breaking the company up, selling off the profitable parts, and filing for bankruptcy on whats left? :confused:
I have heard rumors that this might happen. But I havent heard any talk about how the stock would be affected.

See option 2, above. My money is on greed.

jason
04-16-2009, 12:53 PM
been up every day this week....

SintonFan
04-16-2009, 12:59 PM
What is it at now? I hope it's not to late to jump on board.:D

jason
04-16-2009, 01:00 PM
only at $1.70 now, its up 6.25% today...

its not going up 85% every day, it is going between 5% and 15%, but up a little is better than down any...

baby steps.....

SintonFan
04-16-2009, 01:02 PM
Cool! Might be worth buying a 100 shares or so now. Not a bad risk. Heck that's half the price of ONE Google share.

jason
05-07-2009, 08:31 PM
up almost to $2.......

its been a steady climb up....

woohoo $$$$.......................

jason
08-07-2009, 11:07 AM
after a 20:1 reverse split in early july, shares are currently at $26.76 and the future looks promising...

AIG posts first quarterly profit since 2007

By Lilla Zuill Lilla Zuill – 2 hrs 46 mins ago

NEW YORK (Reuters) – American International Group Inc (AIG.N), the insurer that received $180 billion of federal bailouts, posted its first profit in seven quarters on Friday, helped by investment gains, sending its shares up 20 percent in premarket trade.

Improving market conditions boosted the value of securities AIG had previously written down, and earnings easily topped Wall Street expectations. The company also reported further progress in unwinding AIG Financial Products, the unit responsible for nearly half of its $99 billion in losses last year.

But its insurance operations were weak, underscoring the wear and tear inflicted on its main business by the company's financial woes.

Second-quarter net earnings were $1.8 billion, or $2.30 a share, compared with a net loss of $5.4 billion, or $41.13 a share, a year earlier.

It was the company's first quarterly profit since the third quarter of 2007.

"The reality is that the numbers are getting better and as a result it could be viewed as a potentially constructive first step toward financial success," said Michael Holland, a money manager with Holland & Co.

After dividends on preferred stock held by the federal government, profit attributable to common shareholders was $311 million. Taxpayers own nearly 80 percent of AIG as a result of the bailout.

On an adjusted basis, the company earned $2.57 a share, far above the average forecast of $1.33 among four analysts polled by Reuters Estimates. Adjusted earnings exclude realized capital gains and losses.

AIG shares were up 20 percent to $27.04 in premarket trading. The shares had risen 70 percent since Monday as investors bought in anticipation of improved second-quarter results, forcing short sellers to also become buyers to cover their positions.

Once the world's largest insurer, AIG nearly collapsed last year because of its exposure to credit default swaps, which left it on the hook for tens of billions of dollars of payouts.

The latest results included $5.7 billion in unrealized gains on investments from improving market conditions and the adoption of new accounting rules.

"Our results reflect stabilization in certain of our businesses," Chief Executive Ed Liddy said in a statement. But other operations, including its main insurance business, "remained challenged, largely driven by weak economic conditions and the lingering effect of the negative AIG events earlier in the year," he said.

In the quarter, AIG's financial products unit cut the size of its derivatives portfolio by 13 percent to $1.3 trillion. The portfolio has been cut 17 percent so far this year.

The company's general insurance operations posted operating income, which excludes net realized capital gains, of $1 billion, down from $1.7 billion a year earlier.

Net written premiums fell 19 percent to $7.9 billion.

Liddy is leaving AIG after 11 tumultuous months trying to set the company on a path to repay more than $80 billion in taxpayer loans. On Monday, Robert Benmosche, a former MetLife Inc (MET.N) executive, will take over as AIG CEO, and former American Express Co (AXP.N) chief Harvey Golub will become AIG chairman.

(Reporting by Lilla Zuill; Additional reporting by Juan Lagorio; Editing by Derek Caney and John Wallace)

LINK (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090807/bs_nm/us_aig)

ronwx5x
08-07-2009, 11:30 AM
If you bought at $1.29/share pre-split, my math shows a post-split cost of $25.80/share. That would be a profit of $.04/share not counting transaction costs. And that's after the stock is up over $4/share today? :thinking:

jason
08-07-2009, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
If you bought at $1.29/share pre-split, my math shows a post-split cost of $25.80/share. That would be a profit of $.04/share not counting transaction costs. And that's after the stock is up over $4/share today? :thinking: it has been up and down...

if it stays on track today and closes over $26 i will be in the black....

Necked
08-07-2009, 12:21 PM
Its times like these that fortunes can be made, if you have cash available. I started buying stocks around Christmas last year & I have been very pleased with the results. Everything has gone up in value. As of today:

AMSF buy @ 14.23 & sold at 19.03, made $937

CBG bought @ 3.98 now @ 11.84
CBI bought @ 6.61 now @ 14.76
KEME bought @ 0.38 now @ 1.35
NWL bought @ 9.94 now @ 13.90

I have trailing stops on all of them to lock in my profits. If I sold today I would clear just over $21,000. Not bad return for just a few mouse clicks. Just wish now I had bought more, but I was nervous about my job situation & kept half my cash in reserve. May just go ahead & spend it, doesn't look like I can lose at this point...

Farmersfan
08-07-2009, 03:14 PM
I bought into CTIC a few weeks back for 1.35. Now at 1.52 and expected to hit 4.00 within a month and longterm projection is around 50.00. Take a look!