PDA

View Full Version : 3a Hidalgo wins 4a State Soccer Title

turbostud
04-11-2009, 03:24 PM
The Hidalgo Pirates defeated Mesquite Poteet 2-0 to win the Class 4A state championship soccer match.

Old Green
04-11-2009, 10:06 PM
Congrats to the Pirates:clap: :clap:

Was this girls or boys soccer?

Send_the_House
04-11-2009, 10:33 PM
Boys.

It was a good game. Got chippy at the end with several red cards given out, but overall, well played. And congrats to Hidalgo.

SintonFan
04-12-2009, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by turbostud
The Hidalgo Pirates defeated Mesquite Poteet 2-0 to win the Class 4A state championship soccer match.
Really? That's pretty sweet!

PhiI C
04-12-2009, 06:24 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Phil C
04-13-2009, 08:48 AM
This will help soccer be even more popular in Texas and South Texas. Good news indeed!

Phil C
04-13-2009, 08:51 AM
The Poteet that is mentioned is not the Poteet, Texas high school located about 30 miles south of San Antonio near Pleasanton, Texas. It is the Poteet High School of Mesquite, Texas by Dallas.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
04-13-2009, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
This will help soccer be even more popular in Texas and South Texas. Good news indeed!

Was nearly a sweep of the Boys state titles from the RGV, but Plano beat Brownsville Lopes 3-1 in the 5A final.

But still, 1 state champ and 1 state finalist from the RGV is still excellent.

Brownsville has always been known for it's "futbol" but Hidalgo's success is recent, when their current coach arrived there in 2007 and took them to the state tournament in his first year, losing in the semi-finals.

Phil C
04-13-2009, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by TarponFanInNorthTexas
Was nearly a sweep of the Boys state titles from the RGV, but Plano beat Brownsville Lopes 3-1 in the 5A final.

But still, 1 state champ and 1 state finalist from the RGV is still excellent.

Brownsville has always been known for it's "futbol" but Hidalgo's success is recent, when their current coach arrived there in 2007 and took them to the state tournament in his first year, losing in the semi-finals.

Good news indeed for soccer and Texas Tarpon!

Phil C
04-13-2009, 10:43 AM
Hey Tarpon I posted and still feel that the new Women's Pro Soccer league that will be starting soon blundered in not having a team at either one or more border cities such as Brownsville or McAllen, Laredo and El Paso. I think they would be playing to bigger crowds there but history will probably repeat itself and they will probably old again after a few years but I hope I am wrong.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
04-13-2009, 11:20 AM
Not to sound like a douche, but I don't think a women's soccer team would have done well in the RGV market. It seems as though boy's soccer is a bit more "favored" as opposed to girls soccer, although there are some pretty good girls soccer teams in the RGV (Harlingen South and McAllen High) they haven't experienced the type of success the boys programs have had as of late.

Now if it were an MLS team based in either Brownsville, Harlingen, or McAllen then that team would get a HUGE following. Trust me on that one. RGV peeps love their football, but also love their "futbol" as well.

Old Green
04-13-2009, 12:32 PM
Hidalgo, are they the only RGV 3A team playing soccer? I like it that a 3A school won it all in 4A.:clap:

turbostud
04-13-2009, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Old Green
Hidalgo, are they the only RGV 3A team playing soccer? I like it that a 3A school won it all in 4A.:clap:

No, pretty much all the 3a schools in the Valley, with the exception of Rio Hondo I think, play soccer. There are not to many schools in the Valley that dont play.

bandera7
04-14-2009, 01:47 AM
I always wanted to play Hidalgo because after 2006 they were the only team stopping us from claiming the title of best 3a team in the state....a mythical title (until Hidalgo goes and wins the 4a title, impossible to argue against it after that) but we were actually ranked in the top 10 at one point in 06, the first non 4a team to ever do that, so I am told.

Now there is a clear difference between the two of us, but my junior and senior year I always wanted that game.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
04-14-2009, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by turbostud
No, pretty much all the 3a schools in the Valley, with the exception of Rio Hondo I think, play soccer. There are not to many schools in the Valley that dont play.

I don't think Rio Hondo or La Feria have a soccer team out of the 3A teams in the RGV. I'm not sure Lyford and Raymondville though. I know PI has a soccer team, but from what I've heard, they're pretty bad. :(

The 3A teams that make any kinds of noise are Hidalgo *state champs in 4A* and Progreso.