PDA

View Full Version : Somali Pirates

Bullaholic
04-09-2009, 12:09 PM
Somali pirates are becoming an increasingly bad problem off the coast of Africa. These guys are considered celebrities in Somalia and enjoy rock star status.

My Solution: Declare a sea corridor of "x" miles wide and long at published co-ordinates which would be declared "off-limits" to any vessel not of freighter class and tonnage. In addition to the warship patrols, fly regular air patrols with fighters along the corridor. Any vessel not meeting the correct criteria and identification would be subject to being sunk on sight.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/africa/04/09/ship.hijacked/index.html

Bullaholic
04-09-2009, 12:24 PM
We should hear from some old Navy guys on this one....

sinton66
04-09-2009, 06:25 PM
Another possible solution, arm the crew.

XtremeCouture
04-09-2009, 09:43 PM
they already said arming the crew is not an option since they are not trained to use weapons. so far no hostage has been killed by these pirates. they get their ransom money and let the hostage go. as long as this happens, the pirates have nothing to be afraid of. they should put one of those ships out there full of navy seals so when those pirates show up they are properly welcomed.

sinton66
04-10-2009, 06:28 AM
There are weapons training classes available in every corner of this country. Lack of training is not an excuse. The shipping companies could hire their own trained security professionals. You won't stop piracy by cooperating with it.

I. B. Watching
04-10-2009, 08:28 AM
I'm with Sinton66 on this one. It isn't that difficult. The problem you might have is some nut on board who decides to shoot the place up. But then again, if the state of Texas is considering allowing college students with concealed handgun licenses carry their guns to class ....

SintonFan
04-10-2009, 06:58 PM
Has anyone noticed that this is the first American ship to be high-jacked? I don't think they would have done this a few months ago...
the consequences were too high.

Ingleside Fan
04-10-2009, 07:11 PM
Send the Marines in and Hang'em High!

Rabid Cougar
04-10-2009, 08:39 PM
What District and Region are the Somali Pirates in ?

sinton66
04-10-2009, 09:55 PM
The Navy has a vessel on site. We'll see what happens. I would imagine the conversation with the Pirates went something like " Release the Captain umharmed and we'll let you live." At least that's what I'd tell them. I doubt the Navy will negotiate.

SintonFan
04-11-2009, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
When you adopt a policy of appeasement, this is what happens(see WWII). No one fears us right now.
Why would they fear us? We self-deprecate just so other nations can understand we see only the good in them denying that their might be bad nations out there.
No, evil doesn't exist if you can think you are better than those who would do you evil.:rolleyes:

carter08
04-11-2009, 03:42 AM
I thought Americans loved pirates?

We make them the subjects of our blockbuster movies, name our pro and amateur sports teams after them, and turn them into something that every 6 year old boy wants to grow up to be.

Yet we don't agree with the modern practice of our age old love?

Double standards. Yay.

sinton66
04-11-2009, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by carter08
I thought Americans loved pirates?

We make them the subjects of our blockbuster movies, name our pro and amateur sports teams after them, and turn them into something that every 6 year old boy wants to grow up to be.

Yet we don't agree with the modern practice of our age old love?

Double standards. Yay.

Geez, is it THAT hard to tell the difference between fantasy and reality?

Pick6
04-11-2009, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by sinton66

If you've read many of his post you'd know that he didn't know the difference.

carter08
04-11-2009, 11:03 AM

sorry.

for got to add "/sarcasm" at the end.

sinton66
04-11-2009, 12:29 PM
Apparently, other Somali Pirates have now seized an American tugboat sailing under an Italian flag. They're digging a deeper hole for themselves.

espn1
04-12-2009, 04:24 AM
Water Cannons and Weapons! Kill'em all and Whistle Dixie!

WOSgrad
04-12-2009, 01:33 PM
Just in from cnn.com....The U.S. Navy SEALS conducted an operation to free Captain Phillips.

The result, Phillips was rescued unharmed...3 dead Somali pirates...a 4th pirate injured and in US custody.

Nice job, SEALS!

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/africa/04/12/somalia.pirates/index.html

sinton66
04-12-2009, 01:49 PM
The Navy has a vessel on site. We'll see what happens. I would imagine the conversation with the Pirates went something like " Release the Captain umharmed and we'll let you live." At least that's what I'd tell them. I doubt the Navy will negotiate.

The man couldn't have been in better hands. Way to go Seals!

PPHSfan
04-12-2009, 01:59 PM
The real hero here is Captain Phillips.

kaorder1999
04-12-2009, 06:47 PM
those navy snipers are tough

Trashman
04-12-2009, 08:50 PM
How to defeat pirates........The same way "The Untouchables" got Capone!:D

How You wanna know how to get Capone? They pull a knife, you pull a gun. He sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue. *That's* the *Chicago* way! And that's how you get Capone. Now do you want to do that? Are you ready to do that? I'm offering you a deal.

Trashman
04-12-2009, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
I think they got Capone on tax evasion charges.

Yes they did, but there was quite a bit of blood shed before hand.

sinton66
04-12-2009, 09:54 PM
That's also the Israeli negotiation technique. You kill one of theirs they kill 50 of yours. Hmmmm, wonder why they never target Israel?

Phil C
04-13-2009, 08:39 AM
That's also the Israeli negotiation technique. You kill one of theirs they kill 50 of yours. Hmmmm, wonder why they never target Israel?

Hey 66 how about what President Reagan did against Lybia who was letting terrorist live in his country and jeered us when they would kill Americans. After warning them and no results President Reagan ordered a few bombs to be dropped on Lybia. The terrorist activity then stopped for a while.
Unfortunately we may be in a smililar situation with Somali.

Bearkat
04-13-2009, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Trashman
How to defeat pirates........The same way "The Untouchables" got Capone!:D

How You wanna know how to get Capone? They pull a knife, you pull a gun. He sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue. *That's* the *Chicago* way! And that's how you get Capone. Now do you want to do that? Are you ready to do that? I'm offering you a deal.

"The Untouchables", what a great movie!!!

waterboy
04-13-2009, 10:43 AM
I, for one, am glad this ordeal is over. I'm sure the families and crew are too. The good part is we didn't have to capture these pirates and give them a trial. Well....all but one. There was a good chance had it ended without bloodshed the pirates would've gotten away with it, only to try it again, maybe even with different results. These pirates won't ever bother anyone again, and I think it sends the right message to other pirates who bother with interstate commerce. Don't mess with the Zohan! ...........errrr, the US Navy Seals, that is!:thumbsup:

Bullaholic
04-13-2009, 10:44 AM
The Somali pirates have threatened to kill future American and French hostages. I say let's trade AK47 and RPG rounds for 6-inch shells on sight. I like the U.S. Navy's odds a lot better....

DDBooger
04-13-2009, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
The Somali pirates have threatened to kill future American and French hostages. I say let's trade AK47 and RPG rounds for 6-inch shells on sight. I like the U.S. Navy's odds a lot better.... less 6-inch shells, more UAV (DRONES) Hellfire missiles. Drones will play a big part in our strategy henceforth. On land and sea.

Sweetwater Red
04-13-2009, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
Hey 66 how about what President Reagan did against Lybia who was letting terrorist live in his country and jeered us when they would kill Americans. After warning them and no results President Reagan ordered a few bombs to be dropped on Lybia. The terrorist activity then stopped for a while.
Unfortunately we may be in a smililar situation with Somali.

That's when Muammar al-Gaddafi was in charge and after reading
the link apparently still is.:eek:

Rumor has it one of those bombs took out one of Gaddafi sons.

Take a look at Gaddafi now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muammar_al-Gaddafi

waterboy
04-13-2009, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
That's when Muammar al-Gaddafi was in charge and after reading
the link apparently still is.:eek:

Rumor has it one of those bombs took out one of Gaddafi sons.

Take a look at Gaddafi now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muammar_al-Gaddafi
He looks old, doesn't he? I believe the bombing of Tripoli, Libya, was the first time the U.S. used stealth bombers in a combat role if I'm not mistaken. Since that bombing, Gaddafi has changed his stance on harboring terrorists........at least publicly.

Ranger Mom
04-13-2009, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by waterboy
I, for one, am glad this ordeal is over. I'm sure the families and crew are too. The good part is we didn't have to capture these pirates and give them a trial. Well....all but one. There was a good chance had it ended without bloodshed the pirates would've gotten away with it, only to try it again, maybe even with different results. These pirates won't ever bother anyone again, and I think it sends the right message to other pirates who bother with interstate commerce. Don't mess with the Zohan! ...........errrr, the US Navy Seals, that is!:thumbsup:

Did you read or hear where they are saying the one Somali pirate they captured is between 14 or 16 years of age???:eek:

Sweetwater Red
04-13-2009, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Did you read or hear where they are saying the one Somali pirate they captured is between 14 or 16 years of age???:eek:

It's Somalia. That's almost half of his life expectancy.

Bullaholic
04-13-2009, 11:40 AM
Somalia is not a very stable country. The influence of Al Queda is strong there as they have affilated with many of the warlords there who rule the country with terror tactics. There is no law and anarchy prevails. These are the people who dragged the bodies of 2 U.S. servicemen through the streets of Mogadishu several years ago behind trucks.

waterboy
04-13-2009, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Really?:eek: Why am I not surprised? I was really busy this weekend and didn't actually hear or read many details. All I know is that the hostage was freed, and that 3 of the 4 pirates are dead............which I am applauding. If they hadn't been killed they would've more than likely gotten away. If the person turns out to be a kid he shouldn't have been put in that situation, but he committed the crime so he should pay for it just the same as anyone else, IMO. It is well-known and reported that those heathens over there in Somalia recruit kids so it's no real surprise to me.

Ingleside Fan
04-13-2009, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by waterboy
He looks old, doesn't he? I believe the bombing of Tripoli, Libya, was the first time the U.S. used stealth bombers in a combat role if I'm not mistaken. Since that bombing, Gaddafi has changed his stance on harboring terrorists........at least publicly.

I was was off the coast with the Navy. Gaddafi set up his "Line of Death" between Misurate and New Al Mari and if we crossed it his Navy would takes us out. We blew four or five of his small boats out of the water and he stopped sending them at us. it was like a Turkey shot, pretty fun.:D

Sweetwater Red
04-13-2009, 12:13 PM
The French have commandos? Where were they in WW I and WW II?:confused: :devil:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090413/ap_on_re_as/piracy_raised_stakes

US captain's rescue raises stakes in piracy ops

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia – The killing of three Somali pirates in the dramatic U.S. Navy rescue of a cargo ship captain has sparked concern for other hostages and fears that the stakes have been raised for future hijackings in the busy Indian Ocean shipping lane.

Sunday's rescue of Capt. Richard Phillips followed a shootout at sea on Friday by French navy commandos, who stormed a pirate-held sailboat, killed two pirates and freed four French hostages. The French owner of the vessel was also killed in the assault.

The two operations may have been a setback for the pirates, but they are unlikely to quell the brigands, who have vowed to avenge the deaths of their comrades.

Experts indicated that piracy in the Indian Ocean off Somalia, which transformed one of the world's busiest shipping lanes into one of its most dangerous, has entered a new phase with the Navy SEAL rescue operation of Phillips.

It "could escalate violence in this part of the world, no question about it," said Vice Adm. Bill Gortney, commander of U.S. Naval Forces Central Command.

The International Maritime Bureau said Monday it supported the action by the U.S. and French navies, but cautioned it may spark retaliatory moves by pirates.

"We applaud the U.S. and the French action. We feel that they are making the right move, although the results sometimes may be detrimental," said Noel Choong of the IMB's piracy center in Kuala Lumpur.

He did not elaborate, but for families of the 228 foreign nationals aboard 13 ships still held by pirates, the fear is revenge on their loved ones.

"Those released are lucky, but what about those who remain captive?" said Vilma de Guzman, the wife of Filipino seafarer Ruel de Guzman. He has been held by pirates since Nov. 10 along with the 22 other Filipino crew of the chemical tanker MT Stolt Strength.

The U.S. rescue operation "might be dangerous (for) the remaining hostages because the pirates might vent their anger on them," she said.

So far, Somali pirates have never harmed captive foreign crews except for a Taiwanese crew member who was killed under unclear circumstances. In fact, many former hostages say they were treated well and given sumptuous food.

The pirates had operated with near-impunity in the Gulf of Aden north of Somalia, and more recently in waters south of the country after a multinational naval force began patrolling the Gulf.

Choong said there have been 74 attacks this year with 15 hijackings as compared to 111 attacks for all of last year.

The modus operandi of the pirates is simple: Board unarmed or lightly armed merchant ships, fire shots in the air or at the hull to intimidate the crew, divert the ships to hide-outs on the Somali coast and wait for the owners to pay millions of dollars in ransom.

But the game changed last week when the pirates boarded the U.S.-flagged Maersk Alabama. In an act of courage, Phillips offered himself as hostage in return for the safety of his crew.

The pirates transferred the 53-year-old Phillips, a Vermont native, to a lifeboat. But the pirates had not counted on the U.S. military's resolve. After a five-day standoff during which a small U.S. flotilla tailed the lifeboat, Navy SEAL snipers on a destroyer shot and killed three pirates and plucked an unharmed Phillips to safety. A fourth pirate surrendered.

The comrades of the slain pirates immediately threatened retaliation.

"From now on, if we capture foreign ships and their respective countries try to attack us, we will kill them," said Jamac Habeb, a 30-year-old self-proclaimed pirate, told The Associated Press by telephone from the pirate hub, Eyl.

Abdullahi Lami, one of the pirates holding a Greek ship in the pirate den of Gaan, a central Somali town, told the AP that pirates will not take the U.S. action lying down.

"We will retaliate for the killings of our men," he said.

Giles Noakes, chief maritime security officer of the largest international shipping association, the Denmark-based BIMCO, says it is premature to say Philips' rescue will lead to an escalation of violence.

"The question here is whether there will be a change of attitude in the pirates and in their modus operandi. We hope the change will be that they will be even more deterred because of the successful action by both the Maersk Alabama crew and the navies," he said.

Many of the governments whose ships have been captured — including Taiwan's Win Far 161 with a multinational crew of 30 — are in talks with the pirates and would not comment on the consequences of the American rescue for fear of jeopardizing the negotiations.

"We are monitoring the situation closely, but the ship owner wants to keep a low profile to help with their negotiation with the abductors," Taiwanese Foreign Ministry spokesman Henry Chen said.

He said the crew, comprising 17 Filipinos, six Indonesians, five Chinese and two Taiwanese, were safe as of Monday.

Some families also wonder if Phillips' rescue drew so much of attention because of his nationality.

"It's difficult when the ship's crew are all Filipinos because we are ignored," said de Guzman. "Maybe if there are Japanese, Koreans or British among the crew, the case would get more attention."

Bullaholic
04-13-2009, 01:52 PM
Sure glad to know these guys are on our side. SEALS have amazing skills and uncompromising commitment to duty and country as demonstrated by their creed:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/04/13/greene.seals/index.html

turbostud
04-15-2009, 07:50 PM
Dennis Miller quote on Somali pirates from the O'Reilly Factor tonight, "Somali want a cracker". :D