PDA

View Full Version : Young Folk's Terms & Texting....

Bullaholic
04-08-2009, 11:10 AM
O.k--somebody help educate an old guy---I am always talking about things "back in the day" as us old guys are prone to do, so what are some of the shorthand terms and slang being used in texting and general conversation so that I know when I'm being talked about....:D

Somebody told me that "9" means "can't talk--somebody is watching".

Found out what a "butterface" was the other day---

A "fierce" woman is supossedly good?

STANG RED
04-08-2009, 11:15 AM
I dont know much about it either. But I know my daughter has the fastest thumb on the planet. But I'm worried she'll have carpel tunnel syndrome in it soon. On the bright side, it may actually slow down the 3000+ text per month she is now racking up. It's a good thing my plan has unlimited texting.:D

Bullaholic
04-08-2009, 11:25 AM
Another thing---Is it just me or does "young" humor seem to be darker and crueler than in the old days? Seems like any person who is overweight, less than beautiful, uncool, or handicapped is fair game for cruel humor.

Bullaholic
04-08-2009, 11:34 AM
I know"boys will be boys", but this is a "loaded gun" that teens are just not considering in the modern era:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/04/07/sexting.busts/index.html

Bullaholic
04-08-2009, 11:43 AM
Looks like none of you young folks want to "rat out" your buds just to educate an oldtimer. :D

crzyjournalist03
04-08-2009, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Looks like none of you young folks want to "rat out" your buds just to educate an oldtimer. :D

Alright...here's a few to tips try around your kids and their friends...it'll make you look like an awesome parent, I promise:

"fly", "hip", "groovy", "tubular": Use these when something is "cool."

"Gee willy whiskers", "Shucks", "Bummer dude": Use these when something is disappointing.

"Cowabunga!", "Crikey!", "Wowzers!": Use these expressions when something is exciting.

When you're at a party with a lot of young people, when you see a group of them laughing, walk up to them and say, "Well, technically that's illegal." It might fit with what was just said, and if not, who cares? This party sucks anyway...

Don't start a conversation with the old-fashioned things like, "Nice weather" or "Hey, is that a new haircut?". Instead, start conversations with questions like the following:

"Hey, did you catch that Matlock rerun last night? It was off the chain!"

"Hey, I've got a great VHS collection I've been meaning to go through. You wanna come over and check it out?"

"Yo yo yo daddio, how's it hangin' in the hizzie?"

Which brings me to my next point. Use "izzie" or "izzle" whenever possible. Then share the following joke:

"Why does Snoop Dog need an umbrella?"
"Fo' drizzle."

That should be a good start, and if you need more, let me know, I'll be happy to oblige! :)

Bullaholic
04-08-2009, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Alright...here's a few to tips try around your kids and their friends...it'll make you look like an awesome parent, I promise:

"Gee willy whiskers", "Shucks", "Bummer dude": Use these when something is disappointing.

"Cowabunga!", "Crikey!", "Wowzers!": Use these expressions when something is exciting.

When you're at a party with a lot of young people, when you see a group of them laughing, walk up to them and say, "Well, technically that's illegal." It might fit with what was just said, and if not, who cares? This party sucks anyway...

Don't start a conversation with the old-fashioned things like, "Nice weather" or "Hey, is that a new haircut?". Instead, start conversations with questions like the following:

"Hey, I've got a great VHS collection I've been meaning to go through. You wanna come over and check it out?"

Which brings me to my next point. Use "izzie" or "izzle" whenever possible. Then share the following joke:

"Fo' drizzle."

That should be a good start, and if you need more, let me know, I'll be happy to oblige! :)

LOL--Thanks, crzy---I think I still need an interpreter.

jason
04-08-2009, 12:51 PM
if you're not sure, look it up on www.urbandictionary.com

:D

Sweetwater Red
04-08-2009, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by jason
if you're not sure, look it up on www.urbandictionary.com

:D

Saying something is average means something is bad now?:confused: :doh:

BuffyMars
04-08-2009, 01:03 PM

"Fo' drizzle."

:clap: :clap:

im only 26 and i apparently have no clue anymore.

blowfish
04-08-2009, 02:33 PM
You need to check out the urban dictionary online for all of your up to date needs!

stangGirl2007
04-08-2009, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
O.k--somebody help educate an old guy---I am always talking about things "back in the day" as us old guys are prone to do, so what are some of the shorthand terms and slang being used in texting and general conversation so that I know when I'm being talked about....:D

Somebody told me that "9" means "can't talk--somebody is watching".

Found out what a "butterface" was the other day---

A "fierce" woman is supossedly good?

I am the queen of texting and I have never heard of this "9" thing. Pretty strange! Then again...this is coming from the girl who texts in complete sentences and correct grammar.:)

Electus Unus
04-08-2009, 02:42 PM
I don't think people who text short hand or make acronyms for anything anymore. It seems like it is a form of instant messaging now.

BuffyMars
04-08-2009, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by blowfish
You need to check out the urban dictionary online for all of your up to date needs!

i can spend hours on that site. some of the stuff people come up with crack me up.

garciap77
04-08-2009, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by stangGirl2007
I am the queen of texting and I have never heard of this "9" thing. Pretty strange! Then again...this is coming from the girl who texts in complete sentences and correct grammar.:)

:clap:

pirate4state
04-08-2009, 03:04 PM
I am the queen of texting and I have never heard of this "9" thing. Pretty strange! Then again...this is coming from the girl who texts in complete sentences and correct grammar.:) ditto

GrTigers6
04-08-2009, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
I dont know much about it either. But I know my daughter has the fastest thumb on the planet. But I'm worried she'll have carpel tunnel syndrome in it soon. On the bright side, it may actually slow down the 3000+ text per month she is now racking up. It's a good thing my plan has unlimited texting.:D thats nothing my son had 36,000 texts last month. thats an average of 60 something per minute which if you take out sleep time its almost double that per minute. Blows my mind why he won't just pick up the phone lol:thinking:

crzyjournalist03
04-08-2009, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by GrTigers6
thats nothing my son had 36,000 texts last month. thats an average of 60 something per minute which if you take out sleep time its almost double that per minute. Blows my mind why he won't just pick up the phone lol:thinking:

:nerd:

actually, that's only about 5/6 of one text per minute over the course of a month...

GrTigers6
04-08-2009, 05:25 PM
:nerd:

actually, that's only about 5/6 of one text per minute over the course of a month... oh I was already adding in the sleep time :D

DaHop72
04-08-2009, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
I dont know much about it either. But I know my daughter has the fastest thumb on the planet. But I'm worried she'll have carpel tunnel syndrome in it soon. On the bright side, it may actually slow down the 3000+ text per month she is now racking up. It's a good thing my plan has unlimited texting.:D Man, I'll vouch for Stang Red on that. That girl can text faster with one thumb than most can with a full keyboard. :eek: :eek:

GrTigers6
04-08-2009, 06:44 PM
I know that "gay" no longer means happy or not straight.:rolleyes:

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-08-2009, 10:01 PM
I send at least 10,000 a month, usually. Over Christmas break I sent over 18,000. It's a good way to keep in touch. And I'm really OCD about it so I never use shorthand or abbreviations. Capitalization, spelling, and proper punctuation are a must.

carter08
04-09-2009, 12:53 AM

I hate when people text with super poor grammar. I usually don't reply to those people.

Or I start talking to them in text talk to see how much they like it.

Looking4number8
04-09-2009, 06:41 AM

"Fo' drizzle."

Ok, that is funny. The bad thing is most of us old folk would fall for it and use this stuff at a young peoples party... Damn good thing we wernt invited.

You sure get the points for being creative