PDA

View Full Version : 28-3A Golf

CueroDad08
04-08-2009, 06:58 AM
Cuero Boys Win Distric again,I think it is like 8 of last 9 years.

Johnny Utah
04-08-2009, 11:50 AM
Congrats, high scores due to wind??

CueroDad08
04-08-2009, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Johnny Utah
Congrats, high scores due to wind??

Big Time .Wind was bad
Had one kid shot on 70's the week before and distric high 90's

gobbler grad
04-08-2009, 07:12 PM
with the wind, which we had, still don't ever remember an 88 winning the tournanment...usually remember throwing them 88's away...:thinking: anyway, congrats guys and good luck in the next round...:clap:

RedWhiteBlue
04-09-2009, 08:16 AM
Congrats.... how are your chances at a state run looking?

Cowboy_Up
04-11-2009, 08:00 AM
At the district tourney, one of the Cuero kids tore up his official scorecard after his round. Shortly afterward, coach and players got together and another scorecard appeared.

I certainly don't mean to paint all of Cuero as cheaters as through the years my experience with the Gobblers is they are fierce competitors; they play the games as they should be played.
But, in this case, I was embarrassed for this coach. He may be a coach, but he's no educator.

And the Yoakum coach who accepted the card, knowing full well that it was not official shares equal blame. (all the cards handed out to the kids have a mark designating them as the official card, the card turned in was missing this mark)

Anyone who knows golf or who has competed in golf tourneys knows that turning in an accurate score card with both the marker and competitor’s signature is one of the most basic rules of golf. To turn in a card with falsified signatures is the most blatant of violations and whether the score is accurate or not is not the point.

No sour grapes here. If our coach had done this I’d be calling for his head. You simply do not show the kids that its OK to cheat. The admin at both Cuero and Yoakum are well aware of what happened and are OK with it.

I guess I’m a little bit to old school as I thought the rules did matter.

44INAROW
04-11-2009, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by Cowboy_Up
At the district tourney, one of the Cuero kids tore up his official scorecard after his round. Shortly afterward, coach and players got together and another scorecard appeared.

I certainly don't mean to paint all of Cuero as cheaters as through the years my experience with the Gobblers is they are fierce competitors; they play the games as they should be played.
But, in this case, I was embarrassed for this coach. He may be a coach, but he's no educator.

And the Yoakum coach who accepted the card, knowing full well that it was not official shares equal blame. (all the cards handed out to the kids have a mark designating them as the official card, the card turned in was missing this mark)

Anyone who knows golf or who has competed in golf tourneys knows that turning in an accurate score card with both the marker and competitor’s signature is one of the most basic rules of golf. To turn in a card with falsified signatures is the most blatant of violations and whether the score is accurate or not is not the point.

No sour grapes here. If our coach had done this I’d be calling for his head. You simply do not show the kids that its OK to cheat. The admin at both Cuero and Yoakum are well aware of what happened and are OK with it.

I have no clue to what you're talking about, I wasn't there, have no connection to any of the golfers. Now with that said, you're saying a Cuero player falsified his score? or the score he was turning in? You've made some pretty serious accusations here. You better be prepared to back them up.

Cowboy_Up
04-11-2009, 09:11 AM
A Cuero golfer destroyed his card after his round. Another card was then created and turned in. Were the scores correct? I have no idea, but that is the reason only official cards are supposed to be accepted.

Don't take my word for it, go see your Coach and AD.

44INAROW
04-11-2009, 09:50 AM
A Cuero golfer destroyed his card after his round. Another card was then created and turned in. Were the scores correct? I have no idea, but that is the reason only official cards are supposed to be accepted.

Don't take my word for it, go see your Coach and AD.

I will ask and get the details........

RedWhiteBlue
04-11-2009, 02:24 PM

Yes, if it what you are saying is the truth- that is incredible....:eek:

boba fett
04-12-2009, 11:52 AM

If you saw this happen why didn't you make an issue of it right then & there? Why wait to bring it up on a message board?

If it happened & higher ups allowed it to happen, then that is pretty sorry.

scrub c
04-12-2009, 10:37 PM
That is too bad... Golf is a game of honor and integrity and 99% of the time it is played as such.

And as for making an issue of it right then and there, I don't think spectators are allowed to make rulings or report violations. I think the competitors have to do that at the completion of the round....

RedWhiteBlue
04-13-2009, 10:28 AM
Actually, score cards are replaced all the time...according to a golf coach friend of mine. They blow away, get torn, etc. As long as the scores are recorded accurately, all players sign and the card is accepted- then there is not a problem.:)

Cowboy_Up
04-13-2009, 10:53 AM
Spectators can not get involved. In this case some players did bring what happened to the attention of the scorer.

Yes, replacement cards are accepted. It is even addressed in the decisions section of the USGA rules book, but in that case the cards were unintentionally damaged during play by weather...etc.

It's a little unusual to finish a competitive round, get the card attested and signed, ready to be turned in, then intentionally shred it and fill out a new one.

44INAROW
04-13-2009, 11:13 AM
Spectators can not get involved. In this case some players did bring what happened to the attention of the scorer.

Yes, replacement cards are accepted. It is even addressed in the decisions section of the USGA rules book, but in that case the cards were unintentionally damaged during play by weather...etc.

It's a little unusual to finish a competitive round, get the card attested and signed, ready to be turned in, then intentionally shred it and fill out a new one.

Dealing with 14, 15 and 16 year olds. Expect the unexpected. I still haven't spoken with the coach to find out what happend.
I will tell share this - in 2007, during the State Golf tourney, my son was in the last group on the last day. He shot a 75 on day one and was paired up with the eventual winner (Freshman boy from Medina Valley that actually won the tourney) no pressure huh lol.. anyway - I will be kind and just say he didn't have the same score on Friday as he did Thursday. The boy that kept my son's score turned in a score with a shot better than my son actually shot. (not being dishonest, just miscounted) No one would have known. My son went and told the official score keeper his score was wrong (+1) - it was the right thing to do - So my moral is - worry about what you own kids do and don't butt into others if it doesn't affect you. I am trying to live by this (just wish I would have learned this years ago)

Cowboy_Up
04-13-2009, 11:31 AM
I agree for the most part with what you posted. Yes, golf has always been a game of honor where the players are the referees.

At the time of the incident, my son was very upset. I told him the same thing you’re telling me. Don't worry about it, their coach and the scorers will take care of it. It's the same thing I tell him when he complains about officials in football or any other sport. Play the game right, let the officials do their job, and in the long run you come out the better for it.

But, tell me what you would do if you were in his situation? Remember, we were competing against Cuero, what they did affected us. Just walk away, say if that's the way they want to win so be it? Maybe that is the better approach, and I tried that for well over a week before I had a weak moment and started this thread and now I'm done with it.

CueroDad08
04-13-2009, 08:00 PM
IF THE SCORES WERE THE SAME AS WHAT HE SHOT. EVERYONE PLACED WERE THEY ENDED UP WHEN THE DAY WAS OVER. THE REAL PROBLEM WOULD HAVE BEEN IF HE REPORTED A BETTER SCORE? THEN WOULD IT HAVE CHANGED ANYONES OUTCOME?
I AM SURE THE KID DID NOT CHEAT TO BETTER HIMSELF AND HURT ANY OTHER THAT WAS PLAYING . I AM ALMOST SURE HE WAS UPSET WITH HIS PLAY FOR THE DAY AND THOUGHT HE HAD NO CLUE HE WAS REALLY GOING TO HELP HIMSELF AND THE TEAM EVEN WITH THE WIND AND THE BAD ROUND HE HAD. I AM SURE SOMEONE HAD TO TELL HIM HE NEEDED TO GO AND TURN IN HIS BAD ROUND EVEN IF IT LOOKED BAD TO HIM. IT LOOKS LIKE MOST EVERYONE HAD REALLY BAD ROUNDS WITH THE WIND. AND SOME WERE NOT USED TO SCORES THAT HIGH. HE WAS UPSET AND NOT THINKING ABOUT HOW HE CAN CHEAT. LETS LOOK AT IT FROM A KIDS POINT OF VIEW.

Johnny Utah
04-14-2009, 02:47 PM
Lets get everything straight here. No one from Cuero cheated. Scorecard that was replaced, was the same exact score as the one before(scorecards get lost, damaged, you name it in hs golf). The score turned in was not used in figuring the overall team score for Cuero. When you come on a public message board and broadcast accusations about school personnel without research and facts it can cause harm to those people. Go back and get your facts straight. The Yoakum coach is a STATE CHAMPION COACH, and would not allow the new scorecard if it were not within the rules. Cuero coach is a class act, very responsible and would not condone cheating of any kind. Cuero won district, valid and legit. The coach is owed an apology. Lets move on Cowboy up.

Ranger Mom
04-14-2009, 03:25 PM
Please read the rules I have put in BOLD print.

3). Do not engage in personal attacks and/or threats.
This is NOT a smack site. We are not here to air personal vendettas. Bashing of students/athletes (grades 12 & under) will NOT be tolerated. Avoid using other members' real names in your posts(without their permission). Do not engage in name calling and the use of derogatory terms toward others. That attaches a personal flavor that most posters will find objectionable. Try reversing the roles and see how you would feel if someone said it to you or about your child. Personal attacks or threats, if reported, in PM's, open chat, or chat IM's may warrant warning, suspension or banning, subject to Administrator discretion. At 3A Downlow, we also tend to frown upon posts that attack the integrity of school systems and coaches. Use intelligence & wit. If all you have to offer is the tired old rah rah stuff, the vets on this site will tire of you quickly. Be prepared to offer facts and statistics to back up your claims.