PDA

View Full Version : NASCAR

FBmania
03-17-2003, 05:04 PM
How many of you were lucky enough to see the race yesterday? Man what an awesome finish! Best Nascar race finish I have ever seen.

Bellville22
03-17-2003, 06:13 PM
I guess it's about as exciting as turning left for four hours can get. NASCAR needs to go away.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
03-17-2003, 06:38 PM
I agree, NASCAR sucks. What's the point of it anyway? NASCAR = BOOOOOORING!!!!! I would rather watch a game of cricket than watch NASCAR.

ayoing3
03-17-2003, 06:47 PM
if you grow up around it then you like it but for all of you outsiders that weren't blessed with the chance to be around racing, you should give it a chance!!

TarponFanInNorthTexas
03-17-2003, 11:13 PM
I did give it a chance, and I STILL think NASCAR stinks. And why the heck are the drivers even considered athletes?

HotDawg89
03-17-2003, 11:24 PM
I used to have a really bad attitude about NASCAR too, I hated watching it. After youwatch it for a while, and get into it a little- your attitude about it changes. Now, I even go to the races. We have tickets to the Texas race, and to the Pepsi 400 in Daytona this summer. I am one of those really unusual wives who loves football, basketball and NASCAR. Of course, I am the daughter of a former HS football coach, and the wife of a die hard NASCAR fan. (Nope- he's not even a redneck.)

It was an awesome finish to the race!

Showtime33
03-18-2003, 04:05 AM
I like Nascar, I watch it every week. I grew up around racing though because my uncle drives a race car. A lot of people dont like racing and they say its boring and everyone has their opinion, but in mine racing is a very exciting sport. I guess its because I have been around it and I know all the hard work that is put into the sport. Different people like different things. Their are people who like to watch golf while I on the other hand would rather watch paint dry than to watch that. And as far as Nascar drivers not being athletes, I disagree with that. You have to be in pretty good shape to be able to drive a car at around 200 mph when inside your car the temp. is around 140 degrees. Could you do it?

<small>[ March 18, 2003, 03:09 AM: Message edited by: Showtime33 ]</small>

Mad Dawg 20/20
03-18-2003, 09:57 AM
Even though it wasn't one of my drivers, It was a GREAT finish. I wish every week could be that exciting.

southern_thunder
03-18-2003, 10:16 AM
TarponFanInNorthTexas:
I did give it a chance, and I STILL think NASCAR stinks. And why the heck are the drivers even considered athletes?Several years ago there was a study done of athletes of all the major sports and the race car drivers had the fastest reflexes of athletes of any other sport. Also most sports require short bursts of concentration and adrenaline, race car drivers must maintain the adrenaline rush and concentration for hours on end. There are no time outs only the occasional yellow flag under which they slow to around 80 mph or so. But you are right why are they called athletes.

FBmania
03-18-2003, 01:22 PM
Maybe this wasn't a good place to talk about racing :cool: , I'm not a die hard fan but I do keep up with it. I just happen to watch this race and the finish was absolutely awesome! I too wish every race could be that tight.

turbostud
03-18-2003, 11:25 PM
TARPON FAN, Why are golfers called atheletes? because they walk from hole to hole? Saying nascar drivers are not atheletes islike all the other people who say lance armstrong isnot an athlete because he rides a bike. i have never done it but i bet it is a b#$ch to sit in one of those cars in the summer heat for 4 hours or more driving close to 200 miles an hour with some ahole on your bumper. They may not be banging heads like football but i bet it takes alot of endurance to drive one of those cars.

Jacket2000
03-18-2003, 11:53 PM
Well,I dont consider golfers OR race car drivers athletes, nor do I consider either one a sport.
J2K

turbostud
03-20-2003, 10:03 PM
Well they way I see it, if it is listed on Espn.com as a sport its considered a sport. Also Jack Nicklaus, Arnold Palmer, AJ Foyt, Richard Petty, and Mario Andretti are listed on the Espn Sportcentury top 100 atheletes of all time.

PPHSfan
03-20-2003, 10:53 PM
Non Athletic Sport Centered Around Rednecks :p

PPHSfan
03-20-2003, 10:54 PM
Non
Athletic
Sport
Centered
Around
Rednecks :p

Billy Boy
03-20-2003, 11:02 PM
PPHSfan:
Non
Athletic
Sport
Centered
Around
Rednecks :p You got that right!!!

Showtime33
03-21-2003, 02:47 AM
If you ask a lot of people, they will tell you the only real sport is football. Well I respect football players but there are a lot of football players that I would not consider skilled athletes. If you are 300 lbs and can push someone back a few yards then you can be a football player. Where is the skill in that?

Old Cardinal
03-21-2003, 06:24 AM
Showtime 33: I think you hit it right on the head! As much as I enjoy football, I think there are a host of other athletic endeavors that take a lot more skill and training to prefect...Example, Some athletes think that all their is to track is the 100m and 200m races-because they are too lazy to train daily for the array of other events, that take hard work and stick-to-it-ness. I watched Eric Eshbach train for years over at Orangefield. He went on to set the National HS Record for Polevault......I think the toughest training in HS athletics is to become a great softball pitcher, such as Mellissa Collins of Splendora. That's 150 pitches every other day from the fourth grade forward, to learn the assorted pitches that make one accomplished. I don't have anything against Basketball players either; but being generically presusposed to be 7 foot tall IS the determining factor that puts you in the Pros. Play football because you are extra big, or basketball because you are extra tall, somehow makes a lot of those folks think they are the only athletes.

PPHSfan
03-21-2003, 09:21 AM
Maybe you should have posted this thread on www.rednecks-downlow.com :D

southern_thunder
03-21-2003, 10:29 AM
PPHSfan:
Maybe you should have posted this thread on www.rednecks-downlow.com :D Yea rednecks with engineering degrees some even have Phd's.

PPHSfan
03-22-2003, 08:39 PM
southern_thunder:

PPHSfan:
Maybe you should have posted this thread on www.rednecks-downlow.com :D Yea rednecks with engineering degrees some even have Phd's..
You can get a Phd in anything. for instance. "Doctor of Driving Fast and Turning Left"

southern_thunder
03-22-2003, 08:58 PM
PPHSfan:

southern_thunder:

PPHSfan:
Maybe you should have posted this thread on www.rednecks-downlow.com :D Yea rednecks with engineering degrees some even have Phd's..
You can get a Phd in anything. for instance. "Doctor of Driving Fast and Turning Left"Phd's in engineering.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
03-22-2003, 11:37 PM
PPHSfan:
Non
Athletic
Sport
Centered
Around
Rednecks :p HAH! No kidding!!! LOL!!!! Whenever I see a truck with Earnhardt's #3 sticker on it, it is usually accompanied by a confederate flag.

Phil C
03-24-2003, 10:03 AM
But what a class act that Kurt Busch showed after winning the Ford City 500 race.

St. Ivender
03-25-2003, 04:28 PM
Showtime33:
If you ask a lot of people, they will tell you the only real sport is football. Well I respect football players but there are a lot of football players that I would not consider skilled athletes. If you are 300 lbs and can push someone back a few yards then you can be a football player. Where is the skill in that?If you have ever tried to push around a bigger/faster person and/or a smaller/faster person or an extremely bigger person and do it successfully then you would realize the skill involved, and throw in that your opponent is running as fast as he can and he doesn't want to go where you want him to go. I respect golfers because I try to play well and can't. I respect NASCAR drivers because I drive Houston freeways every day. But nothing (except soccer) puts me to sleep faster on a Sunday afternoon than a golf match or a car race (unless there are some exciting wrecks).

big daddy russ
03-26-2003, 02:45 AM
I played football for 4 years and was pretty darned good at it, but I wouldn't consider myself any sort of amazing athlete. I was blessed with sub-4.9 speed but checked in at 5'8", 160# and absolutely no coordination. But I didn't mind hitting people and had fun while I was doing it so they put me at LB and some people even went as far as to call me a gifted athlete.

Now if I was a gifted athlete, then there's no way I can knock a NASCAR driver as an athlete, no matter how little I enjoy watching it. Same thing with golf.

<small>[ March 26, 2003, 01:47 AM: Message edited by: big daddy russ ]</small>

Phil C
03-26-2003, 11:09 AM
I agree Big Daddy. They are all sports. I personally don't care to watch or play golf but many people do so that is their thing and not mine. I also get bored with watching major league baseball on tv but love to watch high school baseball. For many people it is the other way around so sports are sports and to each his own. There is enough for everyone.