PDA

View Full Version : Your football thoughts...(and then parent thoughts)

Ranger Mom
04-06-2009, 03:26 PM
What are your thoughts regarding this scenario:

2 football players....both pretty good but seem to have major attitude issues.

At least one set of parents think their son should be playing more and are always moaning and groaning about it.

Coach doesn't have great record at school, lots of fans want him to leave.

Football players with attitudes get into minor trouble....first player is disrespecting a group of girls, coach calls him on it.....the other (2nd player) defends his fellow player and friend and coach tells him to pull up his pants...(since he sagging and acting like a "gangsta"). 2nd player pops off to the coach and turns around to walk away.....Coach kicks him square in the butt.

Parents find out and press assault charges, coach is put on admin leave pending investigation.

WHAT DO YOU THINK?????

SWMustang
04-06-2009, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom

At least one set of parents think their son should be playing more and are always moaning and groaning about it.

Football players with attitudes get into minor trouble....first player is disrespecting a group of girls, coach calls him on it.....the other (2nd player) defends his fellow player and friend and coach tells him to pull up his pants...(since he sagging and acting like a "gangsta"). 2nd player pops off to the coach and turns around to walk away.....Coach kicks him square in the butt.

Parents find out and press assault charges, coach is put on admin leave pending investigation.

WHAT DO YOU THINK?????

not defending the coach, but I think this school will never be competitive in Football with kids like that.

95mustang
04-06-2009, 03:36 PM
maybe the parents should be the ones kicked in the tail for letting their kids get away with that. I'm by no way defending the coaches actions but someone has to teach kids like this discipline.

Ranger Mom
04-06-2009, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by SWMustang
not defending the coach, but I think this school will never be competitive in Football with kids like that.

This is exactly what is going on in Midland at Lee High School with Coach Quisenberry right now.

He is on administrative leave and I don't really know, no matter what is decided, why he would want to stay here!

ronwx5x
04-06-2009, 03:38 PM

WHAT DO YOU THINK?????

You're not talking about Greenwood and Coach Taylor are you?

Bullaholic
My heart is with the coach, but my head tells me that he should have remanded them to the principal.

I could never coach kids today---I am "old school" all the way, and I don't mean to imply that all old school coaches were correct in all that they did, but most were pretty dang good role models and mentors and they usually got the desired results because they had the backing of the majority of the parents as well as the respect of the kids.

Ranger Mom
Originally posted by ronwx5x
You're not talking about Greenwood and Coach Taylor are you?

No......Midland Lee and Coach Quisenberry.

SWMustang
04-06-2009, 03:39 PM
This is exactly what is going on in Midland at Lee High School with Coach Quisenberry right now.

He is on administrative leave and I don't really know, no matter what is decided, why he would want to stay here!

seems like a bad situation. I know Quisenberry has had success at the 5A level - at Abilene Cooper? I guess someone will take the job if he's let go. Maybe these kids and Quis need a divorce from each other.

pirate4state
04-06-2009, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
My heart is with the coach, but my head tells me that he should have remanded them to the principal.

I could never coach kids today---I am "old school" all the way, and I don't mean to imply that all old school coaches were correct in all that they did, but most were pretty dang good role models and mentors and they usually got the desired results because they had the backing of the majority of the parents as well as the respect of the kids. hmmmmmm...I guess I'm old school too and being old school why would any coach need to send HIS football players to the principal if they are misbehaving?

Ranger Mom
04-06-2009, 03:41 PM
seems like a bad situation. I know Quisenberry has had success at the 5A level - at Abilene Cooper? I guess someone will take the job if he's let go. Maybe these kids and Quis need a divorce from each other.

I agree. But whether he is ultimately charged or not, it seems like something like that would stick with you.

And....I don't know if I would want to be an incoming coach after something like this!

pirate4state
04-06-2009, 03:44 PM
Although, why he thought that in this day & age it would be okay to kick a kid in the butt is beyond me. :doh:

Sad times people, sad times.

SWMustang
04-06-2009, 03:45 PM
I agree. But whether he is ultimately charged or not, it seems like something like that would stick with you.

And....I don't know if I would want to be an incoming coach after something like this!

yea - this has the makings of a lose/lose situation, but I think with his track record the coach will get an opportunity to continue his career. The school stands to lose more IMO

SWMustang
04-06-2009, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
hmmmmmm...I guess I'm old school too and being old school why would any coach need to send HIS football players to the principal if they are misbehaving?

I agree - I feared our coaches about 1,000,000 times more than I feared the principal.

Who was Mr. Mac? Who was not intimidating at all.

Ranger Mom
04-06-2009, 03:54 PM
yea - this has the makings of a lose/lose situation, but I think with his track record the coach will get an opportunity to continue his career. The school stands to lose more IMO

Maybe so....I just read that both kids parents are pressing charges.

He pushed the first kid down and kicked the 2nd one in the butt.

I can't help but think that those kids have GOT to be taking some flak from this!!!

BwdLions
04-06-2009, 03:56 PM
Problems like that (lack of respect, discipline, etc.) is why I decided not to pursue a coaching career. I can't blame the coach for doing it, but you have to be able to control you self when you're in that capacity. I probably would have done the same thing.

Sweetwater Red
04-06-2009, 03:56 PM

If Quisenberry gets the axe maybe Lee can hire Gary Gaines. Now
wouldn't that be a kick in the pants?:thinking:

kepdawg
04-06-2009, 03:57 PM

I can't help but think that those kids have GOT to be taking some flak from this!!!

Was the pushing kid 1 down in the first post? What's the whole story?

STANG RED
04-06-2009, 03:58 PM
If the kick actually caused bodily injury (which I seriously doubt), I would support action against the coach. But if its simply a case of a fed up coach having to put up with smart a$$ punks with poor parenting (as is probobly the case), he should be defended by the school board and superintendent, to send a message that they arent going to put up with this crap anymore. But that seldom happens these days. The ACLU would be on it like white on rice.

Sweetwater Red
04-06-2009, 04:00 PM
I agree - I feared our coaches about 1,000,000 times more than I feared the principal.

Who was Mr. Mac? Who was not intimidating at all.

You've got to remember Mr. Mac was the choir director before he
became asst. principle.:eek: :D

Ranger Mom
04-06-2009, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Was the pushing kid 1 down in the first post? What's the whole story?

No...I just found out about that!!

The whole story hasn't come out yet. I just know a teacher and a couple of students that have said stuff....and then just reading the comments on mywesttexas.com and mywesttexasfootball.com. My husband knows the kid who got kicked in the butt parents!!

Ranger Mom
04-06-2009, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
If the kick actually caused bodily injury (which I seriously doubt), I would support action against the coach. But if its simply a case of a fed up coach having to put up with smart a$$ punks with poor parenting (as is probobly the case), he should be defended by the school board and superintendent, to send a message that they arent going to put up with this crap anymore. But that seldom happens these days. The ACLU would be on it like white on rice.

From all the comments I have read....it sounds like the superintendent and principal would both like to see him go!!!

Someone was trying to throw out the race card.....but one of the kids has a black dad and a white mom!!!

garciap77
04-06-2009, 04:03 PM

If I was the parent, my kid sure would not be coming home crying to me. Unless he wanted another kick in the butt!

BuckeyeNut
04-06-2009, 04:12 PM
That behavior will not work on a football field or in a classroom. The Parents are the ones have to teach there kids how to act and talk with adults. Those two have alot to learn if they ever want to go anywhere with there talent.

Ranger Mom
04-06-2009, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
The push was not a smart move. Im sure it didn't hurt the kid and wasn't intended to hurt him, and Im not saying he was wrong in doing it, but he should have known better. The kick, hell, I do that kinda stuff all the time. Glad I dont work at Lee.

I'm glad I am not affiliated with either school here.

This has turned into a MHS vs LHS....who has the most disrespectful kids!!!

LH Panther Mom
04-06-2009, 05:24 PM
Football thoughts: Major attitude players would be doing bearcrawls, halos, bleachers or similiar or might not see a lot of PT.

Parent thoughts: Kids across the state should thank their lucky stars I'm not a coach. :devil:

I don't think that the coach handled the situation the best way possible, particularly pushing the one down, BUT I'm 99.9% certain that it were MY kid getting pushed down, or a swift kick in the butt, under the same circumstances, I'd be fine with it. (Heck, my kids probably wouldn't even tell me because they'd get in trouble at home, too!)

As far as the parents griping about the amount of time their kid doesn't get: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: Maybe if you taught your kid to have some respect, that might change.

Texas Cougar
04-06-2009, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
If I was the parent, my kid sure would not be coming home crying to me. Unless he wanted another kick in the butt!

Amen!!

ronwx5x
04-06-2009, 06:06 PM
Things are no longer like they were when we were young. Kids can be disrespectful and corporeal punishment is out. Like it or not, this is the way it is. The kids were wrong, the coach was wrong, and everyone loses.

bobcat4life
04-06-2009, 08:15 PM
I think these kids needed a wake up call. Not sure if a kick to the butt is the best option, but I have no problem with it. If the coach isn't exactly popular, and needs to win to keep his job(not sure if this was the case, but he wasnt liked, so winning wouldnt hurt), then players like this are not needed. They need a wake up call. There is no room for these players in a locker room. They shouldn't smart off to a coach. They need to be more disciplined and respectful.